The Masters 2021 ***All Content Subject to Moderation***

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I lived in Japan for 27+ years. I knew Americans, Brits and Aussies who couldn't get on a bus in Japan after 20 years of living there. So, let's not get too judgmental.   Japanese are taught

Second time I lived here I had a regular foursome with three Japanese men.  Our common language was simple politeness in each others language and the common golf terms - 'good shot', etc.  Every now a

Here's just a couple other comments about Japan and golf and culture stuff. I trust the others here in Japan or who have spent time will validate this.   1. Matsuyama's caddie retrieved the

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Greg_B said:

Could be worse... ol’ Verne could have dropped in a Pearl Harbor reference... 😲

I was expecting this in Butler's cabin

• Haha 2

Cobra Radspeed XB tour length 9 w/ PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke Black 80
Cobra F9 Tour 13.5 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 70
Titleist TS3 Hybrid 20 w/ PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

5 minutes ago, Greg_B said:

I’ll pass your expert TV advice on to Fred Ridley.  It’s amazing they never thought of this in the 50+ years they’ve been doing this.  

My apologies, I'll throw it open to the floor in a more inclusive format: other than Freds desperate desire to get his phizog on the screen, can anyone explain why they still do this or where the value in it is? 

1 minute ago, Amps said:

My apologies, I'll throw it open to the floor in a more inclusive format: other than Freds desperate desire to get his phizog on the screen, can anyone explain why they still do this or where the value in it is? 

I like the ceremony.  Wish Fred would have shaken Hideki's hand though.  That was bush league.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Amps said:

Nothing to do with Fred, been doing it forever - it's their tournament, they see the value that's all that matters, don't watch if you don't.  TV doesn't usually stick around for the real ceremony, so this gets the ritual to the TV audience.  

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Nothing to do with Fred, been doing it forever - it's their tournament, they see the value that's all that matters, don't watch if you don't.  TV doesn't usually stick around for the real ceremony, so this gets the ritual to the TV audience.  

Feel like the whole thing could be a lot slicker though. 

10 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Here's just a couple other comments about Japan and golf and culture stuff. I trust the others here in Japan or who have spent time will validate this.

1. Matsuyama's caddie retrieved the flag on the 18th hole. I hope some of you saw it? He turned toward the 18th fairway, actually the entire course, took off his hat and bowed in respect for the course. That tells you a lot about Japan.

2. Matsuyama was/is a man of few words, because that is what defines masculinity in Japan. Men are allowed to be men and being stoic is a virtue. You're not going to find Japanese men talking about how they "feel about our relationship" kind of stuff. As a matter of fact, men who talk a lot are considered to be untrustworthy, like conmen or (and?) politicians.

If a man tells a woman something to effect that he might like her, that is practically a marriage proposal.

I used to have a regular money game every week with a pro in Japan. One day I went birdie, birdie, birdie, hole-in-one. He never said a word. The stoic samurai stuff is still alive in Japan.

Come on man, all your posts on this thread were really laying the groundwork to work this in, right?

Kidding.  I've enjoyed learning from your posts on here.

Edited by Go Cougs
Expand Soloman1's post to see bold text
  • Haha 4
7 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Here's just a couple other comments about Japan and golf and culture stuff. I trust the others here in Japan or who have spent time will validate this.

1. Matsuyama's caddie retrieved the flag on the 18th hole. I hope some of you saw it? He turned toward the 18th fairway, actually the entire course, took off his hat and bowed in respect for the course. That tells you a lot about Japan.

2. Matsuyama was/is a man of few words, because that is what defines masculinity in Japan. Men are allowed to be men and being stoic is a virtue. You're not going to find Japanese men talking about how they "feel about our relationship" kind of stuff. As a matter of fact, men who talk a lot are considered to be untrustworthy, like conmen or (and?) politicians.

If a man tells a woman something to effect that he might like her, that is practically a marriage proposal.

I used to have a regular money game every week with a pro in Japan. One day I went birdie, birdie, birdie, hole-in-one. He never said a word. The stoic samurai stuff is still alive in Japan.

Game shows aren’t as stoic

🤣

45 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

“+1” w.r.t. the Japanese stoic  culture

(albeit there isn’t “one culture”... as @bscinstnct’s post w.r.t. Japanese game shows clearly illustrates the point!)

. You might like this Japanese animated graphics stylised bio of Hideki Matsuyama. TIL Hideki was born in the town of Matsuyama! 🗾🇯🇵🏞

Synopsis: “Born on the Japanese island of Shikoku, in the tiny town of Matsuyama, Ehime, Japan. Hideki Matsuyama was first introduced to the game of golf by his father, Mikio, at the tender age of four and would go on to become the winningest golfer from Japan and a five-time winner on the PGA TOUR. See “The Incredible Story of Hideki Matsuyama” unfold before your eyes in this intricate, visually-appealing animated short feature.”

Edited by JungleJimbo
2 minutes ago, Go Cougs said:

Come on man, all your posts on this thread were really a justification to work this in, right?

Haha, just kidding.  I've enjoyed learning from your posts on here.

I was going to comment....better than my birdie, birdie, birdie, birdie, birdie, nine......

1 hour ago, Larry Swing said:

Good for Hideki and Japan, sincerest congratulations. But all in all, this was terrible. Hideki won with a 73 and no one in contention broke 70 - all that in pretty benign conditions.

Wasn’t benign.  I am a little over an hour away and I practiced half the afternoon and had to position dead into or dead down wind . Was 2 clubs down wind and 3 clubs difference into.  And that’s me flighting to get distance data , so I’m actively trying to simulate course conditions .  It was a brutal day wind wise.  

• Like 1

Titleist tsi2 10* Mitsubishi TB 70x 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

Cobra F9  7 wood 22.5 blue board 80TX 

Titleist T100 4-pw  

Vokey sm7 50*54*58*v grind

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

12 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Love hearing stuff like this. Good post!

15 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Matsuyama's caddie retrieved the flag on the 18th hole. I hope some of you saw it? He turned toward the 18th fairway, actually the entire course, took off his hat and bowed in respect for the course. That tells you a lot about Japan.

I loved seeing this. Showed it to Ms. aenemated who doesn't even remotely care about golf (but is very sweet and kind enough to let me be me) and she was like "Wow, that's actually really, really cool." 

And not in her "Ok, honey" way 😂

Titleist TSi4 10°

Titleist TSi3 15°

Titleist TS2 18°

Taylormade P7MC 4-PW

Vokey 54°, 60°

Scotty Cameron Newport 

Does anybody else think the "he's carrying the weight of Japan's expectations on his shoulders, imagine the pressure he is under" thing was overplayed? I thought if Hideki didn't win, he would be grabbed & thrown in a dungeon to be beaten with electric cables like Uday Hussein used to do with the Irag soccer team.

Congratulations to Hideki, he earned his first Masters with a gritty performance. I wish that could be enough without the additional drama.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Amps said:

Also, some amazing casual racism from the broadcaster... 'lets go live to the Japanese TV and see how crazy they are going in their funny language, if we all laugh at them together it's okay!' 

You might be projecting a bit 

• Like 1

905S 9.5 Graffaloy Blue S
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

Ping G25 3 hybrid S300
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW S300
Ping Glide Stealth 52*/ Ping Tour S 56*/Ping Glide 3.0 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35”
Pro V1