The Masters 2021 ***All Content Subject to Moderation***

MattyO1984

14 minutes ago, chillybilly said:

I'm now watching the post-round press conference with the stilted ANGC introduction, Hideki and Bob his sideman.

The media are an easy target but they make themselves an easy target.  These are ostensibly people chosen for their writing/journalistic abilities, contacts, knowledge of the game, knowledge of history, etc but these questions are still appallingly lame and obvious.

Even worse, they're lazy.  Every question can be translated (no pun intended) to:  'Will you give me a hook for my phone-it-in story so I can file and get to the bar?'

Example:  Rex Hoggard:  'What do you think this means for golf back home in Japan?' 

Oh brother.

I would have paid a large sum to see Hideki break character, nationality, culture and decorum to say:  'Golf is already wildly popular there and I have a media crush following me everywhere.  What the hell do you think it means?'

Sport journalism is like that everywhere.  That's why after three days of discussing the Masters and the game hasn't started yet the guys just fill in the air with whatever there's handy.  If from a press conference you expect a phylosophical discussion, you've got to find out somewhere else.  There's always the choice not to listen.

By the way Hideki's interpreter looks like the ultimate translation business grinder LOL.

1 hour ago, Imp said:

Hideki does understand it, but the culture is as such, and correct me if I'm wrong, that you don't even attempt speak another language unless you have a concrete GRASP of speaking it. One word here or there, while many cultures accept that "hey, you're trying" (other than the French - they hate the butchering), they don't. You either do, or do not. I think he may start working on verbalizing now for next years interviews.  Case in point, in Butler cabin.... he was responding before the translator even had much of a chance to say a word or two. Translator did Japanese -> English, with hardly any English -> Japanese (other than maybe some words that have different meaning/translations from E->J.)

That's a fair point.  You can tell he really focuses on someone when they are speaking to him.  I compare it to someone that is deaf and reading lips, it looks like he is almost doing the same thing a lot of times.  It's been stated before that he does speak some English and perhaps the players that are around him have heard him speak a whole lot more than we have through the media.

To an extent, I think he still feels a ton of pressure to not do anything that his own country's media are going to chastise him for...poor dude probably has to walk on more egg shells than any other player on the tour.  Hopefully this gets rid of some of that for him.

Edited by Golfrnut
  • Like 1

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

10 minutes ago, naval2006 said:

Sport journalism is like that everywhere.  That's why after three days of discussing the Masters and the game hasn't started yet the guys just fill in the air with whatever there's handy.  If from a press conference you expect a phylosophical discussion, you've got to find out somewhere else.  There's always the choice not to listen.

By the way Hideki's interpreter looks like the ultimate translation business grinder LOL.

No, it's not like that everywhere.  British interviewers, in particular, make it a point to avoid the cliche and the obvious question.  They ask about situations, moments, decisions instead of the unenlightening and predictable 'How does it feel?' treacle common to US media.

If you think I'm demanding a philosophical discussion then you are mistaken.  I want quite the opposite.

'Always the choice not to listen' - oh, one of THOSE nonsensical scolds.  Turn it off.  Don't read it.  Etc.  Here's a question to ponder:  how, precisely, am I meant to know what the content will be in advance?  How will I know whether it's educational, informative, objectionable, interesting, etc. if I DON'T listen to it?  Are you suggesting I should be clairvoyant?  If you have this psychic ability please share with us the secret of acquiring such foresight.

Similarly, if I hear it and have a criticism, how am I meant to un-hear it?

Your grumpy advice is as illogical as it is impossible to comply with but nevertheless it's a staple of internet boards.

Edited by chillybilly
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, chillybilly said:

No, it's not like that everywhere.  British interviewers, in particular, make it a point to avoid the cliche and the obvious question.  They ask about situations, moments, decisions instead of the unenlightening and predictable 'How does it feel?' treacle common to US media.

If you think I'm demanding a philosophical discussion then you are mistaken.  I want quite the opposite.

'Always the choice not to listen' - oh, one of THOSE nonsensical scolds.  Turn it off.  Don't read it.  Etc.  Here's a question to ponder:  how, precisely, am I meant to know what the content will be in advance?  How will I know whether it's educational, informative, objectionable, interesting, etc. if I DON'T listen to it?  Are you suggesting I should be clairvoyant?  Are you?  If you are, please share with us the secret of acquiring such foresight.

Your grumpy advice is as illogical as it is impossible to comply with.

You forgot "Talk about...."  Can't believe how many "interviews" are loaded with that statement.

I guess the other option is the talk radio hosts, who when they have guests on, make statements disguised as questions that not only lead the guest, but also end up being longer than the answer.  Why have a guest on if you operate that way?

As far as Dottie Pepper(from an earlier post-may not be yours), gotta disagree.  She went to the same school as Bones, where you don't say something, you make a definitive statement.  I know I felt better when she "promised" she watched every shot of his 61 from his last win.  "Absolutely", "definitely"... just stop it.  A little less and she could be so much better.

• Like 1

My 2nd post here ☺︎ after sorting through all the comments as much as I can, here's my "not really golf related" inputs - 

The bow of the caddie is SOP in Japan - happens all the time -- bowlers losing in the bowling lanes, bowing to the audience before and after the game, etc... same with the caddy -- sign of respect (to nature, the game and life, in general)

Hideki does know how to speak English more than he lets everyone know (you guys wanna truly know? Ask Jason Day, his "brother" ☺︎ ) -- Japanese know how to write and read english quite well, just not speak it -- they have literal Japanese translations of books, textbooks etc... as you guys know...  

As I said in my other post here, I post more in the LPGA forum board -- I follow JLPGA and LPGA a lot... some PGA (but definitely not as much as you guys here - heck I prioritized ANA/ANWA over Valero last week  -- definitely follow Hideki since time immemorial though not quite as much as Hinako, Yuka Saso, Erika Hara, Ai M, Nasa, Haru, etc... Have been to Japan a ton of times, have tons of Japanese friends, etc etc... )

☺︎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeoLeo99 said:

I found it hilarious how is simple answers showed the worthlessness of the questions.  You played great after the rain delay, what did you do for the hour?  I sat in my car and played on my phone.  What did Nantz expect him to say, some great epiphany on how to play better golf?  How do you feel having won the Masters?  I feel happy.  How else would he feel?  

I feel that is a good question. He came out of the rain delay absolutely on fire. Those delays can jumpstart or derail a round. He could have done something to refocus. Sitting in his car and playing on his phone may have been just the trick to relax his brain and come out fresh.. 

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

11 minutes ago, tsecor said:

ill just say this......what a HORRIBLE tournament........

Masters 2021 was a ginormous fail 

I am hoping this is sarcasm that is not translating.. lol..

BALL; Chrome Soft X

48 minutes ago, chillybilly said:

'Always the choice not to listen' - oh, one of THOSE nonsensical scolds.  Turn it off.  Don't read it.  Etc.  Here's a question to ponder:  how, precisely, am I meant to know what the content will be in advance?  How will I know whether it's educational, informative, objectionable, interesting, etc. if I DON'T listen to it?  Are you suggesting I should be clairvoyant?  If you have this psychic ability please share with us the secret of acquiring such foresight.

Your grumpy advice is as illogical as it is impossible to comply with but nevertheless it's a staple of internet boards.

Sorry mate, I didn't mean to sound grumpy or condescending, but there's no sound in posts.  

Needless to say, I have not read this whole thread, but I do want to congratulate Hideki Matsuyama on a brilliant Masters win.  Now I like to say that I've heard enough of Nantz & Baker-Finch to last a lifetime, especially Nantz.  He DOES love the sound of his own voice!  Dottie Pepper, as usual, is the best at what she does.

8 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Details? I missed the fail part.

viewership over the weekend was less than the Texas Valero Open......lets see what Sundays #'s were during the final stretch.....with many of the "big names" not making the cut, Tiger laid up and horrible Sunday golf from many others, the interest in this Major was not as expected. 

overall it was just a horrible tournament

Thursday’s opening round of the Masters averaged a 1.5 rating and 2.30 million viewers on ESPN, up a tick in ratings and 4% in viewership from last year, when the tournament took place in November (1.4, 2.21M), but down 12% and 7% respectively from the previous April edition in 2019 (1.7, 2.48M).

The telecast, which peaked with 2.7 million viewers from 5:30-5:45 PM ET, ranks 11th out of 14 opening round windows since ESPN began airing the Masters in 2008. Only last year, 2017 (2.13M) and 2014 (2.01M) rank lower. Outside of last year, the four smallest audiences have come in which Tiger Woods did not play.

The 4% bump is on the modest side in a year when golf ratings have been on the rise. Last week’s opening round of the Texas Open, for example, increased 22% from the last time it was played in 2019. Having said that, one need only go back two weeks for a smaller opening round boost — just 1% for the WGC Match Play.

Edited by tsecor

2 minutes ago, tsecor said:

viewership over the weekend was less than the Texas Valero Open......

lets see what Sundays #'s were during the final stretch.....

with many of the "big names" not making the cut, Tiger laid up and horrible Sunday golf from many others, the interest in this Major was not as expected. 

The scenery was quite lovely!  

I played 3 rounds over the weekend so I missed most of the Masters, but everywhere I turned either had the final round on TV, or had TV's with many eyes on the match. I can't see how viewership was down, other than the possiblity that most of the east coast is finally able to golf. 🙂

Congrats to "decki"!! He's a worthy champion.

Titleist....

8 minutes ago, tsecor said:

its not....it was a crap Major IMO

And i have to agree, well Sunday was, i thought thursday to saturday was quite good, but Sunday was a snorefest up until the 15th, and then it only got interesting for about 10 mins

I dont think ive seen so many top players play so poorly on a sunday, Rahm and Zalatoris was the only one's who showed anything really but was Rahm was way too far back to start with

Edited by Superbrit

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

1 minute ago, Superbrit said:

And i have to agree, well Sunday was, i thought thursday to saturday was quite good, but Sunday was a snorefest up until the 15th, and then it only got interesting for about 10 mins

I dont think ive seen so many top players play so poorly on a sunday, Rahm was the only one who showed anything really but was way too far back to start with

When Spieth and Thomas were in contention, it  was getting good, but then it just fell off a cliff and couldnt recover. 

15 minutes ago, tsecor said:

Interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed this year. I thought Thursday and Friday were amazing rounds. Sunday was a bit boring but get a little excitement towards the end. 

BALL; Chrome Soft X

1 minute ago, QuigleyDU said:

Interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed this year. I thought Thursday and Friday were amazing rounds. Sunday was a bit boring but get a little excitement towards the end. 

I think most of my disappointment stems from being letdown after some Friday tesers.... When Spieth and Thomas were hot, it was great.....after that......it was a snoozefest and ultimately disappointing.  

Congrats to Mats, as he is a great player, but for me, this was a bust and the viewership was disappointing as well

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jmvargas said:

Xander is in denial mode and I don't blame him one bit but if he was trully being honest ....he choked!

he didnt have enough club tried to get to much out of it and hooked it, he was ten yards left, ten yards short. He knows how to play the sunday flag, I never played there and I know how to play it. He needed one more club

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tsecor said:

I think most of my disappointment stems from being letdown after some Friday tesers.... When Spieth and Thomas were hot, it was great.....after that......it was a snoozefest and ultimately disappointing.  

Congrats to Mats, as he is a great player, but for me, this was a bust and the viewership was disappointing as well

That is a fair take. I can understand it even if I don't agree with it. I think outside of the US that this was a huge success. Hideki is way more popular outside the US than in. 

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

12 minutes ago, tsecor said:

When Spieth and Thomas were in contention, it  was getting good, but then it just fell off a cliff and couldnt recover. 

I wasnt bothered who was in contention, but please have more than 1 guy who hasnt won a major before, and some young lad who hasnt even been there before, Zalatoris was the highlight of the day

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

19 minutes ago, tsecor said:

Several online pundits agree with you - mostly at the 'alternative' sports media sites.  Certainly not at the sunshine-pumping stations eg Golf.com.

As the glow starts to fade I'm afraid I'm starting to agree also.  I'm happy with a winner who wasn't a fluke no matter what his nationality but tricking up the greens and the hole locations robbed the field of the chance to go low and shake things up.  ANGC are in a catch-22.  Make the course accessible and risk -15 or -20 with a crowded leader board or trick it up and rely mostly on the field taking themselves out.  In either case the 350+ drives are here to stay so short of the vaunted mythical Masters ball I don't know what the solution is.

My overall feeling is that of seeing a favorite band in concert after a long wait and admitting, the morning after, that it really wasn't that great of a gig.  You would go see them again tomorrow but your expectations would be dulled.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tsecor said:

viewership over the weekend was less than the Texas Valero Open......lets see what Sundays #'s were during the final stretch.....with many of the "big names" not making the cut, Tiger laid up and horrible Sunday golf from many others, the interest in this Major was not as expected. 

Thursday’s opening round of the Masters averaged a 1.5 rating and 2.30 million viewers on ESPN, up a tick in ratings and 4% in viewership from last year, when the tournament took place in November (1.4, 2.21M), but down 12% and 7% respectively from the previous April edition in 2019 (1.7, 2.48M).

The telecast, which peaked with 2.7 million viewers from 5:30-5:45 PM ET, ranks 11th out of 14 opening round windows since ESPN began airing the Masters in 2008. Only last year, 2017 (2.13M) and 2014 (2.01M) rank lower. Outside of last year, the four smallest audiences have come in which Tiger Woods did not play.

The 4% bump is on the modest side in a year when golf ratings have been on the rise. Last week’s opening round of the Texas Open, for example, increased 22% from the last time it was played in 2019. Having said that, one need only go back two weeks for a smaller opening round boost — just 1% for the WGC Match Play.

If your only measure of success is TV ratings then LOL on you.  Plus there was little need to watch on TV--- the APP is superior.  The mass dunces are insufferable. 

As for ratings golf ratings in general, I've analyzed some 17 years of ratings. There have always been dramatic swings from peaks and troughs, but the trend is approximately flat.   

• Like 2