The Masters 2021 ***All Content Subject to Moderation***

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I lived in Japan for 27+ years. I knew Americans, Brits and Aussies who couldn't get on a bus in Japan after 20 years of living there. So, let's not get too judgmental.   Japanese are taught

Second time I lived here I had a regular foursome with three Japanese men.  Our common language was simple politeness in each others language and the common golf terms - 'good shot', etc.  Every now a

Here's just a couple other comments about Japan and golf and culture stuff. I trust the others here in Japan or who have spent time will validate this.   1. Matsuyama's caddie retrieved the

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, tsecor said:

viewership over the weekend was less than the Texas Valero Open......

lets see what Sundays #'s were during the final stretch.....

with many of the "big names" not making the cut, Tiger laid up and horrible Sunday golf from many others, the interest in this Major was not as expected. 

overall it was just a horrible tournament

The scenery was quite lovely!  

I played 3 rounds over the weekend so I missed most of the Masters, but everywhere I turned either had the final round on TV, or had TV's with many eyes on the match. I can't see how viewership was down, other than the possiblity that most of the east coast is finally able to golf. 🙂

Congrats to "decki"!! He's a worthy champion.

Titleist....

8 minutes ago, tsecor said:

its not....it was a crap Major IMO

And i have to agree, well Sunday was, i thought thursday to saturday was quite good, but Sunday was a snorefest up until the 15th, and then it only got interesting for about 10 mins

I dont think ive seen so many top players play so poorly on a sunday, Rahm and Zalatoris was the only one's who showed anything really but was Rahm was way too far back to start with

Edited by Superbrit

Driver: PXG 0811 Proto X 9*

Hybrids:     :ping-small: G425 17* & G 19*

Hybrid Irons: :adams-small:  Pro DHY 21 & 24*

Irons:       :ping-small: i500 6-PW

Gap Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 3 50*

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe Raw 54 & 58*

Putter:  :odyssey-small:  O-Works 7

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

1 minute ago, Superbrit said:

And i have to agree, well Sunday was, i thought thursday to saturday was quite good, but Sunday was a snorefest up until the 15th, and then it only got interesting for about 10 mins

I dont think ive seen so many top players play so poorly on a sunday, Rahm was the only one who showed anything really but was way too far back to start with

When Spieth and Thomas were in contention, it  was getting good, but then it just fell off a cliff and couldnt recover. 

15 minutes ago, tsecor said:

Interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed this year. I thought Thursday and Friday were amazing rounds. Sunday was a bit boring but get a little excitement towards the end. 

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

1 minute ago, QuigleyDU said:

Interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed this year. I thought Thursday and Friday were amazing rounds. Sunday was a bit boring but get a little excitement towards the end. 

I think most of my disappointment stems from being letdown after some Friday tesers.... When Spieth and Thomas were hot, it was great.....after that......it was a snoozefest and ultimately disappointing.  

Congrats to Mats, as he is a great player, but for me, this was a bust and the viewership was disappointing as well

• Like 1
7 hours ago, jmvargas said:

Xander is in denial mode and I don't blame him one bit but if he was trully being honest ....he choked!

he didnt have enough club tried to get to much out of it and hooked it, he was ten yards left, ten yards short. He knows how to play the sunday flag, I never played there and I know how to play it. He needed one more club

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, tsecor said:

I think most of my disappointment stems from being letdown after some Friday tesers.... When Spieth and Thomas were hot, it was great.....after that......it was a snoozefest and ultimately disappointing.  

Congrats to Mats, as he is a great player, but for me, this was a bust and the viewership was disappointing as well

That is a fair take. I can understand it even if I don't agree with it. I think outside of the US that this was a huge success. Hideki is way more popular outside the US than in. 

• Like 1

PUTTER; LAB DF2.1

12 minutes ago, tsecor said:

When Spieth and Thomas were in contention, it  was getting good, but then it just fell off a cliff and couldnt recover. 

I wasnt bothered who was in contention, but please have more than 1 guy who hasnt won a major before, and some young lad who hasnt even been there before, Zalatoris was the highlight of the day

Driver: PXG 0811 Proto X 9*

Hybrids:     :ping-small: G425 17* & G 19*

Hybrid Irons: :adams-small:  Pro DHY 21 & 24*

Irons:       :ping-small: i500 6-PW

Gap Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 3 50*

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe Raw 54 & 58*

Putter:  :odyssey-small:  O-Works 7

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

19 minutes ago, tsecor said:

Several online pundits agree with you - mostly at the 'alternative' sports media sites.  Certainly not at the sunshine-pumping stations eg Golf.com.

As the glow starts to fade I'm afraid I'm starting to agree also.  I'm happy with a winner who wasn't a fluke no matter what his nationality but tricking up the greens and the hole locations robbed the field of the chance to go low and shake things up.  ANGC are in a catch-22.  Make the course accessible and risk -15 or -20 with a crowded leader board or trick it up and rely mostly on the field taking themselves out.  In either case the 350+ drives are here to stay so short of the vaunted mythical Masters ball I don't know what the solution is.

My overall feeling is that of seeing a favorite band in concert after a long wait and admitting, the morning after, that it really wasn't that great of a gig.  You would go see them again tomorrow but your expectations would be dulled.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, tsecor said:

viewership over the weekend was less than the Texas Valero Open......lets see what Sundays #'s were during the final stretch.....with many of the "big names" not making the cut, Tiger laid up and horrible Sunday golf from many others, the interest in this Major was not as expected. 

overall it was just a horrible tournament

Thursday’s opening round of the Masters averaged a 1.5 rating and 2.30 million viewers on ESPN, up a tick in ratings and 4% in viewership from last year, when the tournament took place in November (1.4, 2.21M), but down 12% and 7% respectively from the previous April edition in 2019 (1.7, 2.48M).

The telecast, which peaked with 2.7 million viewers from 5:30-5:45 PM ET, ranks 11th out of 14 opening round windows since ESPN began airing the Masters in 2008. Only last year, 2017 (2.13M) and 2014 (2.01M) rank lower. Outside of last year, the four smallest audiences have come in which Tiger Woods did not play.

The 4% bump is on the modest side in a year when golf ratings have been on the rise. Last week’s opening round of the Texas Open, for example, increased 22% from the last time it was played in 2019. Having said that, one need only go back two weeks for a smaller opening round boost — just 1% for the WGC Match Play.

If your only measure of success is TV ratings then LOL on you.  Plus there was little need to watch on TV--- the APP is superior.  The mass dunces are insufferable. 

As for ratings golf ratings in general, I've analyzed some 17 years of ratings. There have always been dramatic swings from peaks and troughs, but the trend is approximately flat.   

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, chillybilly said:

Several online pundits agree with you - mostly at the 'alternative' sports media sites.  Certainly not at the sunshine-pumping stations eg Golf.com.

As the glow starts to fade I'm afraid I'm starting to agree also.  I'm happy with a winner who wasn't a fluke no matter what his nationality but tricking up the greens and the hole locations robbed the field of the chance to go low and shake things up.  ANGC are in a catch-22.  Make the course accessible and risk -15 or -20 with a crowded leader board or trick it up and rely mostly on the field taking themselves out.  In either case the 350+ drives are here to stay so short of the vaunted mythical Masters ball I don't know what the solution is.

My overall feeling is that of seeing a favorite band in concert after a long wait and admitting, the morning after, that it really wasn't that great of a gig.  You would go see them again tomorrow but your expectations would be dulled.

not sure why nationality was mentioned but the course being hard is how it should be......DJ going to -20 last year is a joke so im all for tough pin placements, super fast greens and on occasion, some weather that can be a factor.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, tsecor said:

not even sure what this means, but ok....not sure how you came to this conclusion by what was posted. 

You said "ill just say this......what a HORRIBLE tournament........ Masters 2021 was a ginormous fail"

I asked for details?

You responded with TV ratings to justify your answer.  Are you being obtuse on purpose?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

You said "ill just say this......what a HORRIBLE tournament........ Masters 2021 was a ginormous fail"

I asked for details?

You responded with TV ratings to justify your answer.  Are you being obtuse on purpose?

that was ONE example....go read the thread if you are interested in getting up to speed.

9 minutes ago, chillybilly said:

Driver-wedge on 17 and 18 is anti-climatic.  I'd love to see the player's iron game tested down the stretch, not just the wedge game.  Does the ball go too far?  I've already chimed in on that so I'll not revive it.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, tsecor said:

not sure why nationality was mentioned but the course being hard is how it should be......DJ going to -20 last year is a joke so im all for tough pin placements, super fast greens and on occasion, some weather that can be a factor.

I agree, the course was perfect. 

• Like 1

PUTTER; LAB DF2.1

17 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I asked for details?

I think there is a language barrier.  What he is trying to say is "Tiger roolz, and this just proves it."

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

I feel that is a good question. He came out of the rain delay absolutely on fire. Those delays can jumpstart or derail a round. He could have done something to refocus. Sitting in his car and playing on his phone may have been just the trick to relax his brain and come out fresh.. 

I highly doubt he went to his car and played on his phone for an hour in order to relax his brain and come out fresh.  

30 minutes ago, manku said:

Guess what?  90% of sporting events are forgettable...I watch way too much televised sports, and the memorable events are rare. 

Yep,too many people try to replicate the "great moments."  Forgetting the fact that what makes them great is the rarity of them.  Like everything else, it isn't very special if it happens all the time.

• Like 1