2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The Masters 2021 ***All Content Subject to Moderation***

MattyO1984

5 hours ago, jholz said:

I thought it was a pretty decent tournament. Glad to see Matsuyama win - just as I was glad to see Adam Scott win several years back. It's always cool to see someone do something for the first time. 

The play on the course was obviously sketchy. So many struggling at inopportune times. 

Honestly, the thing that stood out to me the most was all of brown patches on the greens. Can't say I've ever seen that at Augusta before. 

At a regular course, even a very good one, those greens would have caused the members to be chasing down the supt.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

@imakaveli

Exactly guys.  If you use @tsecor metric that a good tournament is defined by TV ratings, then the final round of The Masters has been in steady or declining greatness for decades.🤣

I didn't do the exact correlation analysis, but the spikes were often related to a popular player like Tiger or Phil winning or close battle.  Though Tiger winning isn't a guarantee to a big Sunday viewership... such as 2001 vs 2002 both won by Tiger yet dramatically lower rating in 2002.  Or Tigers comeback win in 2019, still lower than previous years.  

Basically this tells me that TV ratings me Jack S...T when it comes to the quality of a tournament.  

fina round masters.png

I asked the OP for his source on ratings numbers and he did not respond. That may well be because the ratings generally don't come out until tomorrow or Wednesday. I would add that a typical Masters draws numbers roughly twice as large as the Valero Texas Open numbers he  pointed to.

35 minutes ago, jobin said:

OMG!  Are you all talking about the sleeve of golf balls the caddy next to Gary P. is holding? 

What utter nonsense.  Those balls are crap.

And undoubtedly endorsed by Player

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

23 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

Lol.  Might as well just say no lead is safe anytime in any tournament.

True, but it's especially true at Augusta.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

52 minutes ago, Christosterone said:

except elvis, zeppelin, gnr, Elton, Skynyrd....

Especially when Collins played the stones off their own stage...allen collins begins on his Gibson explorer at 6:51

Beatles. Yea just being facetious 🙂 not a fan of racist music prefer Neil young 😉 

more like American idol pop music is not good. 

edit: popular doesn’t equal good but good can get popular 🙂 most of my favorites didn’t make a dime. Big star for one 

Edited by stingerfade
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, stingerfade said:

Beatles. Yea just being facetious 🙂 not a fan of racist music prefer Neil young 😉 

more like American idol pop music is not good. 

paul mcartney is the most underrated song writer ever and it’s not even close...

had 19 number ones post beatles...this is my favorite performances from him...

as a fellow guitarist and pianist, he is kinda my idol

Starts at :55

• Like 3

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

19 minutes ago, Christosterone said:

paul mcartney is the most underrated song writer ever and it’s not even close...

had 19 number ones post beatles...this is my favorite performances from him...

as a fellow guitarist and pianist, he is kinda my idol

Starts at :55

Paul McCartney is not underrated in any capacity. Seriously? Lol that’s lik sayin Muhammad Ali was an ok boxer in the day 

• Like 2

So far, in person polling has shown that Matsuyama's win is barely registering in central Japan. The only people that care already play golf. It will do nothing to combat the image of golf as elitist. Clubs will continue to cater to the 70 year old set, where lunch between front and back nines is standard. Twilight play will remain largely unheard of. 

My 4 year old daughter, who is showing incredible promise with the putter, woke up and watched the final few holes with me. It was the first time since Sergio's triumph that we watched together and she could barely hold her head up, but I remember fondly. Later, as she sat at the breakfast table, she said, "You need to stop watching golf so much," as she poked at her breakfast. We did have a putting contest later that night where I allowed her to win. I was 8/8 from 12 feet before I left one short in the jaws. She putts from just outside the leather when I am watching and comfortable inside when I am not.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, stingerfade said:

Paul McCartney is not underrated in any capacity. Seriously? Lol that’s lik sayin Muhammad Ali was an ok boxer in the day 

He is often disparaged and Lennon is said to have the more skillful set of songwriting tools..

which is absurd but I digress

also, Brian wilson was a genius..the pocket symphony was correctly voted as the best song of the 1960s..

LOVE the studio moments with Hal and the wrecking crew...wow what a group of studio players they were....

and wilson was special beyond words

—sidenote: mcartney says to this day “god only knows” is the best rock song ever made...

Scenes from the studio during creation if the pocket symphony with the wrecking crew...and god only knows

• Like 3

My admittedly limited observation mirrors above from @Christen_The_Sloop.  Those that are golfers are happy.  Those that are not are mildly interested - or not...  While he has probably not yet landed at Haneda or Narita, it’s unlikely there will be some sort of conquering hero welcome.  The whole “weight of an entire country...” was a bit over-played.

That said, I did go to Golf 5 last night after work to pick up a couple of clubs I had bent.  There were two employees there that speak English quite well.  They were clearly very excited and took great pleasure in describing his round to me almost shot for shot.

Edited by Aviador Naval
  • Like 1

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

7 hours ago, stingerfade said:

Popular doesn’t mean good. Ever 

If viewership was held throughout, it was enjoyed, for whatever reason, by many, if ratings were high. The ratings will also not take into account streaming through Masters.com app.

People complaining on the internet doesn't necessarily mean bad. Ever.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Come on man. 

I know a huge Beatles / McCartney fan. Im a huge music fan.  So I’ve pondered this and discussed it quiet a bit.  And for whatever reason I cannot understand the whole beatle mania. I have the Beatles channel on satellite radio.  Listen to it often. And just don’t get it. Let it be and come together are the only two songs I click with.  And each I think is due to the guitar similarities.  But I’ll also say ( and I know it’s blasphemy ) o prefer Steven Tyler and joe Perry’s version of come together.  It just plain sounds better.  

I love to see so many fellow music lovers...guess we are alike on wrx

off this subject, this is an awesome story

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Christosterone said:

I love to see so many fellow music lovers...guess we are alike on wrx

off this subject, this is an awesome story

Wow.  What a great story “ no motorbikes or snakes “ cracked me up. But the “ second hand Anne Margrets “  made me spit out my coffee.    Can’t imagine the scene with Elvis and zeppelin in the same room.  “ feral “ was likely the correct word to use.  😂

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

18 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Wow.  What a great story “ no motorbikes or snakes “ cracked me up. But the “ second hand Anne Margrets “  made me spit out my coffee.    Can’t imagine the scene with Elvis and zeppelin in the same room.  “ feral “ was likely the correct word to use.  😂

and I agree with plant that many of elvis’ movie songs were awesome...

completely underrated..

on of the coolest men to ever walk the earth

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Christosterone said:

and I agree with plant that many of elvis’ movie songs were awesome...

completely underrated..

on of the coolest men to ever walk the earth

Oh yea.  He had “ it” in buckets just laying around.  Lol.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

9 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

So far, in person polling has shown that Matsuyama's win is barely registering in central Japan. The only people that care already play golf. It will do nothing to combat the image of golf as elitist. Clubs will continue to cater to the 70 year old set, where lunch between front and back nines is standard. Twilight play will remain largely unheard of. 

Yeah that's what I've heard from buddies there. NHK might make a big deal when he lands or something but they said overall they expected a bigger deal than it was especially with the olympics. 

As to recreational golf got to agree. I live in St Andrews, Scotland and met some great Japanese players that come over to play and normally we host each other every year, they come here in summer and I go there Spring.

It's becoming harder to actually go, because of the grindingly annoying lunch after nine holes with your space reserved in queue for back 9 and the whole naked bathing thing after the round etc at the nice clubs. 

In terms of the public golf its either overpriced for what it is or so busy it takes forever and there is still an 'atmosphere'  

I asked if Covid/Hideki might move golf on a bit there but the quickly said oh no way its how it is, we expect it to go maybe even more exclusive after covid because members have been annoyed with the courses being busier 

Edited by ScoPro

Is the Masters an unusually "boring" finish?  Just looked it up and you have to go back to 2013 before any winner has birdied 17 or 18 on Sunday in regulation.  In that same timeframe the average score on 17 and 18 is 4.375 and the average margin of victory is 2.25 strokes, including a 0 I marked for a playoff in 2017.   There has only been one playoff in that time and it ended with Sergio having 2 putts to win after J Rose hit a poor tee shot.

In other words, the winners are playing 17 and 18 over par, and still winning by over 2 strokes.  I can't say I watch a ton of tournaments, is this pretty typical?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

You were the one that first used ratings to support your proclamation that The Masters 2021 was a ginormous fail. But the fact is that ratings spike up and down dramatically from year to year even those with popular players. We also have no data yet for Sunday. 

Bottom line is that ratings don't mean anything as it relates to success or failure of a tournament. 

You can claim I trend to cherry pick. But I guess you trend toward trolling posts that you can't back up. Then when the heat gets to high you claim someone else was using your account, like you did a couple years ago. Hilarious! 

Yes, my son really made it difficult for me around here.  But that happened when i was overseas, so no need to rehash it or bring kids into this, fair? Lets get back on track, ok

Ratings play a huge part in the success of tournaments. If nobody watches it, its a bust. Thats just business. 

But, maybe i didnt make my earlier points as clear as I should have. Thats on me.  I used the ratings issue as one point to the larger conversation. I was shocked to see the ratings of the Valero Open were better than this years Masters.....Spieth had something to do with that in my opinion. I also used the fact MANY huge names in the sport were either out of the tournament or failing badly down the stretch which zapped any interest from the average viewer and many of the hardcore viewers.   All that together makes for a bad tournament. its boring, no "big" names in contention and even the coverage was a snoozer.  Maybe the Georgia voting issue played into it? maybe Tiger not being there played into it? DJ, Rory not making the cut?  im sure its a combo of issues, but you cant have more people watching the Valero open and call the Masters a success. Thats my opinion. If you dont agree, thats ok too. So hopefully i came across a bit more clear this time.