Bandon(!!!) and 1 round to play in Portland

Caddy Woods

18 days out from my first trip to Bandon. I’ve been dreaming about this trip since 2009 so it is quite difficult to contain the excitement at this point. I live overseas so I’ve had to soft cancel the trip a few times due to COVID restrictions but at this point it is looking very promising. 

I appreciate all the posts here, an absolute treasure trove of information. The Bandon threads have served me well in my incessant need to plan for the trip. 

Some key facts and figures:

• Going as a twosome with my childhood buddy who introduced me to the game. Epic.

• Since January 2021, my wife has banned all reference to, questions about, and discussion regarding the “trip.” I am free to discuss it at will on Tuesdays only.

• An 11 page planning document exists, which includes a cover page(with custom logo) and 1 appendix.

• 3 spreadsheets(packing lists, partially automated scoring spreadsheet, course strategies, play schedule, I could go on).

Play schedule:

April 23 PM - Bandon Preserve

April 24 AM - Bandon Dunes

April 24 PM - Bandon Trails

April 25 AM - Pacific Dunes

April 26 AM - Old Mac

April 26 PM - Bandon Dunes

April 27 AM - Sheep Ranch

April 28 AM - Pacific Dunes

April 28 PM - Old Mac

April 29 AM - Sheep Ranch

We may have to cancel our final round on SR as I have a tight PCR testing/travel window and it looks like the best bet for a quick turnaround result is in Portland. The plan is to drive up to Portland on April 29, get my test and then play a round somewhere in the area. Thoughts on where to play just 1 round in Portland?

I will be there almost the exact same dates.  What is your Pacific Dunes tee time on the 28th?  I go off Pac at 0710 on the 28th.  Perhaps we will share a round, will be hoping for the best weather wise.

As for PDX, I would either play Langdon Farms (super easy access right off I-5 on your way into PDX from Bandon) or Heron Lakes great blue (relatively close to the airport if that matters).  Though, it has been some time since I last golfed in PDX.

• Like 1

Are you flying out on the 29th?  If not, and your concern is simply getting to Portland in time to get your PCR test, then without question the best public option is Pumpkin Ridge (Ghost Creek course). If you are flying out of PDX later that day, you almost certainly wouldn't have time to play Pumpkin Ridge (west side of the metro area) and then get out to the airport which is on the east side.  Especially given that you're coming from overseas, I wouldn't hesitate to reach out to the golf professional at Columbia Edgewater Country Club to inquire about access. It's close the airport, making it very convenient. You might also consider leaving Bandon really early that morning and seeing if you can get access for an early tee time at Eugene Country Club, which is about 2 hours south of Portland.  Private clubs here are generally more accessible for an overseas visitor than they might be for a US-based unaccompanied guest.

• Like 1

+1 on both Pumpkin Ridge and Langdon Farms.  From my experience Pumpkin Ridge (Ghost Creek) is a better course than Langdon Farms.  Langdon is going to be a much more convenient location coming from Bandon to PDX, and it's an excellent course in it's own right.

Can't speak to the privates but I've heard Eugene CC is a fantastic course that's a must play if you can get on.  Sounds like a tough invite, but maybe you will have luck coming from overseas.  Pumpkin Ridge also has the private Witch Hollow course where Tiger won a US AM, but again I haven't played it and am not sure how difficult it is to get the green light.

pathguy - We are going off on PD at 0750. I hope we run into you. We're hoping for good weather too but I do have this fancy rain gear I'd like to try.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I only need to get the test on the 29th, not actually flying out until May 1. Pumpkin Ridge sounds like winner, I don't think we'll mess around with trying to get on a private course. My buddy is leaving on the 30th but I may try to play that day as well. I mean what else am I doing? Rose City looks pretty good or is there a better old muni option?

Where are you staying in Portland?  For munis, Eastmoreland (in SE Portland) and Heron Lakes (N Portland) are better options than Rose City, IMO.  Both are better layouts, but all will be affected by recent rainfall.  if you have an extra day, play either Langdon or Pumpkin, whichever one you didn't play the day before.

One side note: Pumpkin will also be affected by recent rainfall.  Langdon is the best draining (public) course in the entire area.  I also much prefer the layout there to Pumpkin.  Both are very well maintained (drainage aside).

Edited by spud3

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Don't bother with Rose City....there are far better public options.

Eastmoreland is a classic old muni, though can get a bit damp depending on weather. Hosted both the 1933 and 1990 USGA Amateur Public Links championships.

Heron Lakes, also a city municipal course, offers 36 holes by Robert Trent Jones II. The Greenback course is an older, more traditional design from the 1970s, while the Great Blue is more modern.

Pumpkin Ridge (Ghost Creek) is the cream of the crop of Portland-area publics.  36 hole complex with the Witch Hollow course being private, but frankly there's very little difference in quality between the two courses. It's out on the west side of the metro area but it's worth the drive.  Without question, if time wasn't a huge consideration, I'd pick Pumpkin Ridge over anything on this list.

Langdon Farms on the south end of town, right on I-5, is a very good public option as well. It's busy, and tee times can be difficult to get unless you book early.  Plays very dry, which is an advantage this time of year.

The Reserve, on the west side of town, is also a really good public option.  A 36 hole private/public complex, it rotates which course is public and which is private twice a month.  I'd make this my second choice behind Pumpkin Ridge.