Best Public Courses in Naples, FL

On 4/15/2021 at 12:19 PM, akronswitness said:

hmm I thought Panther Run was supposed to be a little more fancy than others like Eagle Lake, Aarowhead and Valencia? 

Either way, I just hope to play quickly. I am so sick and tired of having a log jam at any golf course Im on in the Midwest. Your either waiting for people to hit their balls or your feeling pressure from the group behind you so you speed up and play horrible.

They may be more fancy now days as it seemed like they eventually wanted to build a membership, but the last time I was there two years ago they were really cool and even honored a nine hole raincheck for an entire year for me during good weather because I had to bail for family reasons. 

Played Valencia and the National last week.

The National is brand new and a blast to play. Very firm conditions and the wind is tough since there is nothing around to stop it. Sometimes feels like you're in Damascus with all the sand piles and concrete structures around. But it is going to be a terrific golf course, so play it for $60 while you can. The only downside was the discrepancy in yardages on the scorecard. The tips are about 7300 and the back tees are around 6400. The length of the some of the carries would make it unplayable for all but the biggest bombers. We made up our own combo tees, though I'm sure over time they'll figure out a reasonable mix.

Valencia is a fun course to play. Great layout and in good condition. The greens are probably the best we saw in our nine rounds down there -- true, fast, and consistent -- not surprising since they were renovated a couple years ago. Would recommend this course over Panther Run. Far less challenging than the National, and would probably be more enjoyable for the average golfer.

Agree with others above re: Raptor Bay. Overpriced and lacking variety.

Posted (edited)
On 4/18/2021 at 11:40 AM, dmuck said:

Played Valencia and the National last week.

The National is brand new and a blast to play. Very firm conditions and the wind is tough since there is nothing around to stop it. Sometimes feels like you're in Damascus with all the sand piles and concrete structures around. But it is going to be a terrific golf course, so play it for $60 while you can. The only downside was the discrepancy in yardages on the scorecard. The tips are about 7300 and the back tees are around 6400. The length of the some of the carries would make it unplayable for all but the biggest bombers. We made up our own combo tees, though I'm sure over time they'll figure out a reasonable mix.

Valencia is a fun course to play. Great layout and in good condition. The greens are probably the best we saw in our nine rounds down there -- true, fast, and consistent -- not surprising since they were renovated a couple years ago. Would recommend this course over Panther Run. Far less challenging than the National, and would probably be more enjoyable for the average golfer.

Agree with others above re: Raptor Bay. Overpriced and lacking variety.

I just got back. Played Panther Run and boy was I disappointed in the conditions. We got there and the grass was completely burned out. The entire course was yellow. You could tell it was a nice course when green, but the grass conditions made it not feel that nice. No food or drinks in the clubhouse was strange too. All I wanted was a few brews and a hotdog at the turn but they only sell that stuff at the restaurant. No cart girl either since it was "too early". If you plan on playing before 11am you basically lose all of the nice perks of the course because nothing is open.

That and the cart GPS that kept telling us to buy houses they were building in the neighborhood was annoying. Randomly shutting off and beeping at us to get back on the path even though we were on the path.

Valencia was a different story. It was super nice but we were fighting the rain all day. Only made it through 7 holes before downpouring so we had to leave. They couldn't refund me but did offer a rain check for next year.

Overall great time, just wish the weather and some course conditions were better.

Edited by akronswitness

19 hours ago, akronswitness said:

I just got back. Played Panther Run and boy was I disappointed in the conditions. We got there and the grass was completely burned out. The entire course was yellow. You could tell it was a nice course when green, but the grass conditions made it not feel that nice. No food or drinks in the clubhouse was strange too. All I wanted was a few brews and a hotdog at the turn but they only sell that stuff at the restaurant. No cart girl either since it was "too early". If you plan on playing before 11am you basically lose all of the nice perks of the course because nothing is open.

That and the cart GPS that kept telling us to buy houses they were building in the neighborhood was annoying. Randomly shutting off and beeping at us to get back on the path even though we were on the path.

Valencia was a different story. It was super nice but we were fighting the rain all day. Only made it through 7 holes before downpouring so we had to leave. They couldn't refund me but did offer a rain check for next year.

Overall great time, just wish the weather and some course conditions were better.

Dang, sorry to hear that about Panther Run. When I played there, albeit 3/4 years ago, it was lush, green, and in all around good shape. Sucks that you didn't have a good experience. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/26/2021 at 7:48 AM, LeftyBobby said:

Dang, sorry to hear that about Panther Run. When I played there, albeit 3/4 years ago, it was lush, green, and in all around good shape. Sucks that you didn't have a good experience. 

Oh yeah you could tell it was a really nice course when it was in good conditions. 

When we pulled up I was like "did somebody forget to turn a sprinkler on?" Because it honestly looked like the course hasn't gotten water in months.

Good part is they only charged $75 with a rider. So I think my round was only $50 instead of the normal $90-120. Have to assume that was because of the course.

Either way, good restaurant post round that was fun and the guy who cleans all your clubs when you return your cart was cool. Never had that done before haha Saw 3-4 gators too swimming around so that was awesome.

Edited by akronswitness
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 7:14 AM, akronswitness said:

Oh yeah you could tell it was a really nice course when it was in good conditions. 

When we pulled up I was like "did somebody forget to turn a sprinkler on?" Because it honestly looked like the course hasn't gotten water in months.

Good part is they only charged $75 with a rider. So I think my round was only $50 instead of the normal $90-120. Have to assume that was because of the course.

Either way, good restaurant post round that was fun and the guy who cleans all your clubs when you return your cart was cool. Never had that done before haha Saw 3-4 gators too swimming around so that was awesome.

Yeah, they definitely have a nice gator population lol. That was my first time seeing them so that was cool.

I paid like $175 when I played there (like I said, 3-4 years ago) so, yeah, they must have lowered prices due to the course being in bad condition. 

• 4 weeks later...

My parents live in Naples and I find myself down there 3-4x year. I'm always on the hunt for a fun course that won't kick me in the teeth or break the bank. I have been lucky enough to play Calusa Pines and The Concession (its more Tampa I know) and they are in their own league. Would love to check out Naples National and Old Collier one day. 

As far as publics go, love Valencia and it has become my go to. They have a grass range and there's not too many water holes relatively speaking. 

Fort Myers Country Club is a bit rough around the edges but loved the value for playing an original Donald Ross.

Arrowhead can be expensive in season but tough to be the location. 

I refuse to pay nosebleed prices to play at Tiburon. 

Lely Resort is well maintained. 

Sanibel Island has the biggest Iguanas I have ever seen in my life 

Havent played Raptor Bay yet but sounds like it's not worth it. 

• 2 months later...

Baitkiller, you have provided some great insight for me in the past for golf in south Florida and I'm hoping you and others can chime in the courses in Collier County that you would recommend from the South Florida Golf Pass book.  

I can get in 6 rounds in a few weeks and am looking for new courses.  I've played both tracks at Tiburon and Lely.   Other local courses I've played were Raptor Bay, Naples Grande, Bear's Paw, Naples Beach Hotel & Golf Club and Shell Point in Ft. Meyers.

Looking right now at Treviso Bay, The Rookery, Vanderbilt Country Club and Hammock as four of my possible six.  Attachment has the courses available through Golf Pass but I don't want to limit myself to those courses if any others can recommend courses that are must plays.

Would appreciate any and all input.

Thanks.

GP_Facilities_Collier_11_.pdf

35 minutes ago, Dancin said:

TPC Treviso Bay is excellent if you can get on it. They re-did a bunch of their greens last year and it is much improved but they were still very firm when I played earlier this year.

Thanks Dancin.  Definitely on my list.  tried to play there 2 years ago, no online tee time service and the pro shop never picked up a single time I time so I couldn't even leave a message!

9 minutes ago, highscoreinky said:

Thanks Dancin.  Definitely on my list.  tried to play there 2 years ago, no online tee time service and the pro shop never picked up a single time I time so I couldn't even leave a message!

It's fully private now so you need a connection although maybe in summer they might be opening up some times. If you have a World or World Elite mastercard, they can get you on through their private club access program.

56 minutes ago, Dancin said:

It's fully private now so you need a connection although maybe in summer they might be opening up some times. If you have a World or World Elite mastercard, they can get you on through their private club access program.

Thanks Dancin.  Treviso Bay is still on the Golf Pass 2021 participating courses so I'll give them a call.

22 hours ago, pup142 said:

Forest Glen also in Naples is beautiful. Best conditioned course around. Go on Golf Now and check there reviews.  Also very reasonable. $30-$50 bucks right now.

Thanks pup142.  Forest Glen is on the GolfPass at $43.00 per round and is listed as a new additional to participating facilities.  Gets great reviews, I'll add it my list of possibilities.

16 hours ago, jeff1544 said:

In my 8 years of living in SW FLA playing public golf was quite the bugaboo. Old Corkscrew is really the only one I would recommend, but boy is it hard.

Thanks jeff1544.  It's been on my list for 3 years now and I just haven't committed to playing it.  I play 40 plus tournaments a year and prefer not to grind when I'm on vacation.  Don't mind challenging tracks but a lot of players seem to have more hate than love for Old Corkscrew.  Maybe this is the year I decide to just suck it up and tee it up so I see what it's all about.