Retail Scotty vs Circle T

Hougz79

5 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

But sometimes it's fun to go out in a blaze of glory.

danny mcbride m GIF

Well I certainly made an impactful post. 😂🤣😂

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

1 minute ago, RobotDoctor said:

Well I certainly made an impactful post. 😂🤣😂

I'd probably be banned a week in complaining about Scotty's hate for lefties.

• Haha 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

On 4/9/2021 at 2:23 PM, CDM said:

The  Special Select's are milled out of one solid piece and in the USA.  That I know from a Titleist director.

Now if your "contact" is talking the prior gen's not the Special Select or something different I was told those are/were  milled in once piece but not in the US. The director noted that the insert putters were milled in in different plants, head vs insert, shipped to here and then built here just like the ALL club manufactures do the most part . It a $$ aspect. 

I was also told that Scotty was not happy with people thoughts of the prior gen models and how the Special Select came around. Now back to roots / basics to some extent.

Edit: I did have a '18 insert Newport.... hated the feel of that putter.... in the bag 2-3 rounds and then got rid of it.  Use the funds on the '20 Special when they came out.

@CDMIn regard to the 18 line, was Scotty happy with them...or upset that others didn't like them? I happen to like the 18 insert line and think they feel great - especially when struck center - off-center hits do feel like a miss hit - I get quite a bit of feedback. Just curious as to what Scotty thought and where they were actually made?

13 hours ago, MattM97 said:

I'd probably be banned a week in complaining about Scotty's hate for lefties.

I've been a member there too forever and they are fine with complaining about his lack of love for lefties, customer service after the site crashes after every release and other things. I find that I can be more harsh there than here and it is fine. There are a few hard NOs and they are discussion of other companies and aftermarket refinish work. If you stay away from those, you can bash Cameron all day as many do. I find the depth of knowledge of the members on rare and tour putters is invaluable for even my small collection. When they guy that wrote the actual book on Scotty Cameron's history gives you his cell and says call or text any time with putter questions, it makes you feel pretty welcomed. This site has much more activity just due to the sheer members and volume of content while CC is hyper focused. I enjoy both places but feel here has lost the personal feeling like you know who you are talking to and dealing with.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cardia10 said:

I've been a member there too forever and they are fine with complaining about his lack of love for lefties, customer service after the site crashes after every release and other things. I find that I can be more harsh there than here and it is fine. There are a few hard NOs and they are discussion of other companies and aftermarket refinish work. If you stay away from those, you can bash Cameron all day as many do. I find the depth of knowledge of the members on rare and tour putters is invaluable for even my small collection. When they guy that wrote the actual book on Scotty Cameron's history gives you his cell and says call or text any time with putter questions, it makes you feel pretty welcomed. This site has much more activity just due to the sheer members and volume of content while CC is hyper focused. I enjoy both places but feel here has lost the personal feeling like you know who you are talking to and dealing with.

I've been on there forever as well, rarely post just read. There's been some entertaining drama over the years, i think it's because there's a base group there that are Cameron's top customers that regularly buy those 5 figure putters and meet regularly at events and then get into some passive aggression over rich people etiquette.

I love the collecting/flipping contradiction that goes on over there.

The BLavoie ban was a bit off-putting, i thought he was one of the most knowledgeable posters.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

On 4/13/2021 at 8:37 PM, RobotDoctor said:

I made a couple of posts that I knew would get the attention of a couple moderators there.  One was posting a picture of a Byron Morgan putter that had a PVD finish on it that was done probably at the same facility Cameron had used.  Cameron called it Black Pearl.  I got a warning not to post putters from other makers.  Another was regarding the speculation of the next "Inspired by" putter that was going to be made.  I offered my suggestion and was immediately banned.  No warning, just banned.  I was pretty much done with collecting Cameron putters and I poked the bear.  In hindsight I now would have chosen to just fade into the night.  

I don't see a thing there worthy of a perma ban.  The Cameron crew sounds like a sensitive, sad, snobby bunch of drama queens...

• Like 3

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

54 minutes ago, 14max said:

I don't see a thing there worthy of a perma ban.  The Cameron crew sounds like a sensitive, sad, snobby bunch of drama queens...

Maybe, my second post should have earned me a time out.  Of course I joined PutterTalk so that might have accounted for the ban. 

It's all water under the bridge and old history.  It's all good.  👍🏼

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

17 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

Maybe, my second post should have earned me a time out.  Of course I joined PutterTalk so that might have accounted for the ban. 

It's all water under the bridge and old history.  It's all good.  👍🏼

I'm banned from putter talk for calling out a member for selling me a set of irons there then not sending them. Of course I got the money back through paypal, but I "shouldn't be mentioning members names, even if they had done that." I called BS and got the permanent boot...at least from that IP address...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

I'm banned from putter talk for calling out a member for selling me a set of irons there then not sending them. Of course I got the money back through paypal, but I "shouldn't be mentioning members names, even if they had done that." I called BS and got the permanent boot...at least from that IP address...

A mere callout is hardly ban worthy, and IMO protects the forum community. Anyone pulling that kind of crap deserves a walk of atonement in the streets.

10 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

That's strange.  I know a lot of the people who moderated PT and know the former owner.  There has to be more to that story but it does suck to be banned for calling out someone who who sells something and not follow through.  Gives everyone a bad rep.  

2 hours ago, cardia10 said:

isn't puttertalk gone?

Titleist TSR2 10° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 19° KBS Tour Hybrid Proto

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

1 hour ago, Scotty1140 said:

Yeah unfortunately it seems that Puttertalk is toast. 

Yeah, PutterTalk has closed it's doors.  It was a lot for the owner of it to juggle and he always did it himself on his own servers.  It was a great run while it was running.  I have gotten to know several people who I consider friends who owned/moderated or contributed to the site.

56 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

Yeah, PutterTalk has closed it's doors.  It was a lot for the owner of it to juggle and he always did it himself on his own servers.  It was a great run while it was running.  I have gotten to know several people who I consider friends who owned/moderated or contributed to the site.

As a huge Byron fan, the loss of all that history is tragic. 

18 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

Apparently Puttertalk will be back soon.  Saw a post (I assume from Doug) today on the puttertalk facebook page:  

Hey everybody. Just letting everyone know that we were able to secure the domain again, and are working to get the site back up in the next week or so.
Not going to be posting a lot of articles, and we'll likely take the store down, but the forums WILL exist again. If for nothing more than an archive or a place for a few friends to hang out. More on the story to come.

• Like 1

I owned an older 90s Newport that was a tour putter (COA confirmed). The head seemed smaller than the Newports (and Ansers) I had owned, it also had a sound slot. It came with an older "Circle T" cover too. Thin milled face (almost worn smooth), felt great and the sound slot gave it a nice "ring".

It felt great, but was a bit too light (310gms) and short (33") so I only gamed it for one round.

During that round, the headcover popped off, and when I noticed it, the sheer terror of losing a $500 collectible gave me cold sweats. So I ditched my group to circle back to find it. Good news is I found it just off the cart path a few holes back, bad news is I took a beating by my guys once I came back to the group.

I sold it (for a nice $$$$) the next day.

It wasn't that it wasn't a great putter, I just didn't want to be worrying about losing the expensive cover again. I also didn't want to modify it to suit my preference (essentially "voiding" the COA).

I got swindled on a Cameron "Tour Rat" too, luckily I got my money back after I the fine folks of Golfwrx helped me prove it was fugazi.

I'd love to try a newer Circle T Newport style, but they are crazy expensive now.

Edited by shanx

On 4/13/2021 at 5:42 PM, RobotDoctor said:

Scotty Cameron has indeed made a cast putter before.  This is a fact!  Of course it was a cast of an old Ping Scottsdale Anser that was stamped Titleist and was used for a brief time by Steve Elkington.  This was back in the mid 1990s.

The other story I was told by a former high end Cameron Collector was that after a pro almost won a major using another player's PING Anser 2, a cast was made of that putter, THEN skimmed milled, that putter was stamped and it has been played by that pro for couple of decades , winning several majors with it.

• Like 2

Just now, tangojay said:

The other story I was told by a former high end Cameron Collector was that after a pro almost won a major using another player's PING Anser 2, a cast was made of that putter, THEN skimmed milled, that putter was stamped and it has been played by that pro for couple of decades , winning several majors with it.

Maybe that is why the certain pro keeps rejecting the, reportedly, 2 or more backups produced annually in the 2000s because the feel was never quite right.  Just a theory.  😉

26 minutes ago, tangojay said:

A cast of Omera’s Anser 2 was made, then skim milled and Tiger’s putter with a totally different footprint came out?

Color me skeptical here. 

• Like 2

Circle T's are a waste of money from the perspective of gamers IMO.  They are collector's items and people usually sell them when the price jumps up.  I have a circle T sitting in my closet collecting dust that I will never game.  It will lose it's value if I put some scratches on it or even a small ding.  I bought a long time ago with the intent of keeping it and selling it later for profit. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Back to OP Subject 

When it comes to materials the difference between a retail and a Circle "T" Scotty Cameron in NOTHING . Does the engraving and additional touches warrant a couple of extra thousands of dollars? That is entirely up to the golfer who is spending their money.

It has been asked for about 20 years for a "retail" version of the 009 ( Cameron's take on the PING Scottsdale Anser) to be released, that in my opinion will never happen since that would drop the value on those hand stamped 009's out there. 

I

• Like 3

18 hours ago, tangojay said:

Back to OP Subject 

When it comes to materials the difference between a retail and a Circle "T" Scotty Cameron in NOTHING . Does the engraving and additional touches warrant a couple of extra thousands of dollars? That is entirely up to the golfer who is spending their money.

It has been asked for about 20 years for a "retail" version of the 009 ( Cameron's take on the PING Scottsdale Anser) to be released, that in my opinion will never happen since that would drop the value on those hand stamped 009's out there. 

I

I agree with this completely, except for the fact that I do think the putters are slightly different metal. I say this because they feel different but could be milling too I suppose. Otherwise it’s a waste of money if you don’t find value in it intrinsically as a putter