Jump to content

Tips for creating a Combo set (iBlades)


Recommended Posts

I am fairly new to golf equipment and currently swinging the Ping iBlade black dot. I struggle to hit the 4-6 iron solid, so was looking into a set of 4-6 irons that are easier to hit to go with my iBlades 7-PW. Do y'all have any recommendations of which Ping irons would go best with the iBlades? Also, I tend to stand taller hitting longer irons, so would it be a good idea to get something the like the blue dots which are 1* upright? Also, if you guys have any other tips on creating a combo set, it would be very helpful. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ping i210 or i200 would be the natural progression. Going from an iBlade to a G series club would be pretty jarring. 

For me the i200 matched the launch and spin of the iblades better then the i210.   4-6 i200, 7-pw iblades.  Power spec lofts.

There is a thread that I have seen in the past debating this MPF score especially with i500.  Lots of it got technical with VCOG coming into the calculation.   I tried to ignore it and focus on how th

Posted Images

I would look at the G series. I don't know Ping lofts, so that might be an issue. But usually when building a blended set, your loft and lie matter, offset might matter, toplines might matter. If the clubs are too different, it could be more issue than it's worth. But if the lofts are close and the look at address works for you, then game on.

 

My set is 3-6 cavity back, 7-PW blade. The blades are 1 degree weaker, but my gaps work.

  • Like 1

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, lefthack said:

I would look at the G series. I don't know Ping lofts, so that might be an issue. But usually when building a blended set, your loft and lie matter, offset might matter, toplines might matter. If the clubs are too different, it could be more issue than it's worth. But if the lofts are close and the look at address works for you, then game on.

 

My set is 3-6 cavity back, 7-PW blade. The blades are 1 degree weaker, but my gaps work.

Thanks for the help. I also saw in another post someone mentioned a MPF chart which it looks like shows how easy each Ping club is to hit. So I looked for something rated slightly easier than the iBlades and came up with the i200 (1* stronger) and the Ping i E1 (.5* stronger).

Is the lie angle the same throughout your cavity back and blades?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The lies are the same between the two club heads, yes. Lies I don't think will be an issue as much as loft and possibly weight. The weight on mine is wonky because there is only a 2g difference between the CB 6 and the blade 7, but 6g between each head type. I don't really notice, but I also only have 3 rounds with them so far.

  • Like 1

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ping allows ordering irons in 3 loft configurations so adjusting loft doesn't compromise other aspects of design. If you went I210 here are your loft options for 4-6 iron compared to standard loft for I Blade.

 

I Blade 4=23.5 5=27 6=30.5 7=34

 

I210 Std 4=22.5 5=26 6=29.5

 

I210 Retro 4=24.5 5=28 6=31.5

 

So your two options come down to 1 degree stronger or weaker without further adjustment to alter offset bounce etc. 

  • Like 1

Sim 2 Max 10.5 Kuro Kage Silver 60S

Sim Max 14 Ventus Blue 6S

Sim 2 Max 16.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Epic Speed 21 Smoke Green IM10 60 5.5

Mavrik 23 & 26 Even Flow Blue 85 5.5

PXG 0211 DC 7-GW Elevate 95S

Mack Daddy PM 2.0 C 54 KBS Hi Rev

Mack Daddy PM U 60 KBS Tour V

Scotty Cameron Special Select Del Mar 34 20 gram weights SS 2.0 25 gram core

Callaway ERC Soft with Triple Track

Link to post
Share on other sites

For me the i200 matched the launch and spin of the iblades better then the i210.

 

4-6 i200, 7-pw iblades.  Power spec lofts.

Edited by mokedaddy
  • Like 2

TM M6 9 GD Tour AD HD 6x
TM M6 15 GD Tour AD TP 7x
TM M6 18 GD Tour AD VR 8x
Ping I200, IBlade 4-P power spec Nippon SPO
Ping Glide 2.0 - 49ss, 55ws heel grind, 60ss wrx grind Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT TOUR BLACK
Best Grips leather grips
Snell MTB-X yellow

Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind, loft, lie, offset and bounce specs should be as close to the same as possible.  For that you should probably stick with Ping.  Mixing and matching those irons, with shafts and matching swing weights is difficult.  Finding a club builder that has the experience to help is another issue. 

 

That's the reason most OEM's don't make blended sets; too many variables have to align with the stars to make them blend.  To that point, and because golf is hard enough, I don't believe blended irons is the best choice for most people.

 

Titleist set out to make the 620 series blend, and they did a wonderful job of it.  I have both MBs and CB sets, and change the blend in my bag occasionally.  MBs and CBs regardless of number, feel like the same clubs.  Only hard differences are no cavity (playability) vs tungsten in 3 & 4 and cavity backs (greater playability.)

  • Like 1
  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1x, AVX, ProV1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nosedive32 said:

Ping allows ordering irons in 3 loft configurations so adjusting loft doesn't compromise other aspects of design. If you went I210 here are your loft options for 4-6 iron compared to standard loft for I Blade.

 

I Blade 4=23.5 5=27 6=30.5 7=34

 

I210 Std 4=22.5 5=26 6=29.5

 

I210 Retro 4=24.5 5=28 6=31.5

 

So your two options come down to 1 degree stronger or weaker without further adjustment to alter offset bounce etc. 

Thanks for the help. I just found out about MPF ratings a couple days ago, so I was using the Ping MPF chart and noticed that the i210s have a lower MPF (338) than the i200s (474). This seems pretty considerable since the iBlade MPF is 430. I could be wrong because I am not too familiar with the MPF chart, but would the better option for me be the i200s since I am looking for something easier to hit? I understand that getting fit is probably the answer for all of this, but I don't think they have these older clubs readily available at the golf stores for me to hit. So I am trying to do a fitting without actually swinging them lol. Thanks for the help nosedive32

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hollywoodtlb said:

Go find yourself a fitter/builder who knows what he's doing and he can recommend the right club and bend current and future games so you have the right gapping.

I was thinking of doing that, but figured they wouldn't have these older clubs readily available to test out. Granted I am fairly new to golf equipment and have only ever been to Golf Galaxy and PGA Superstore, and I have never seen these clubs there. They have older clubs in the used section, but I would have to be lucky for them to have i200/i210s there. Thanks Hollywoodtlb

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Keep in mind, loft, lie, offset and bounce specs should be as close to the same as possible.  For that you should probably stick with Ping.  Mixing and matching those irons, with shafts and matching swing weights is difficult.  Finding a club builder that has the experience to help is another issue. 

 

That's the reason most OEM's don't make blended sets; too many variables have to align with the stars to make them blend.  To that point, and because golf is hard enough, I don't believe blended irons is the best choice for most people.

 

Titleist set out to make the 620 series blend, and they did a wonderful job of it.  I have both MBs and CB sets, and change the blend in my bag occasionally.  MBs and CBs regardless of number, feel like the same clubs.  Only hard differences are no cavity (playability) vs tungsten in 3 & 4 and cavity backs (greater playability.)

Thank you for the insight. I was thinking of getting 1 degree upright for 4-6 since I tend to stand taller, but I understand now why lie should be kept consistent between clubs. Thanks for the help. I am for sure going to stick with Ping and through my research, have noticed many people playing the i200/i210 and iBlade combo so I would think they would fit together pretty well. The lofts in the i200s are 1* stronger than the iBlades which I believe would be fine since I struggle for distance with my long irons (4-6). Thanks Pepperturbo

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nilopol said:

I have contemplated this many times.  I play iblade 5-w and use a older i20 4 hybrid at 23*.  But one option although you would have the lowest iron same # as your highest iblade would be to look at the i500 range.   

I am looking for a more forgiving 4-6 iron. I just learned about this MPF chart the other day so I am not sure exactly what I am looking at, but I assumed the higher the MPF rating, the easier the club is to hit. The i500 is much lower than the iBlade, but if you look at MOI which I associated with forgiveness based on some quick google searches, is much higher on the i500. Am I understanding this right? I just narrowed my focus at the i200 solely based on MPF. 

image.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh hey, I like the look of that i500. I haven't looked real hard at Ping. I think if you can get the lofts right, that could be a great option.

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jmo15 said:

I am looking for a more forgiving 4-6 iron. I just learned about this MPF chart the other day so I am not sure exactly what I am looking at, but I assumed the higher the MPF rating, the easier the club is to hit. The i500 is much lower than the iBlade, but if you look at MOI which I associated with forgiveness based on some quick google searches, is much higher on the i500. Am I understanding this right? I just narrowed my focus at the i200 solely based on MPF. 

image.png

It’s kind of short sighted to pick an iron based off of a chart like this. The i500 is very similar to the P790, so I’m surprised to see them in different categories. 

2008  Burner: Soon to be G425 LST 10.5 w/ Ping Tour 65 X-stiff

G425 2 hybrid - Ping tour 85x

Mizuno 921 forged w/kbs c taper lite x-stiff (4-GW)

random wedges

TM Spyder

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2021 at 10:50 AM, jmo15 said:

I am fairly new to golf equipment and currently swinging the Ping iBlade black dot. I struggle to hit the 4-6 iron solid, so was looking into a set of 4-6 irons that are easier to hit to go with my iBlades 7-PW. Do y'all have any recommendations of which Ping irons would go best with the iBlades? Also, I tend to stand taller hitting longer irons, so would it be a good idea to get something the like the blue dots which are 1* upright? Also, if you guys have any other tips on creating a combo set, it would be very helpful. Thanks!

Just hit the ball better 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a thread that I have seen in the past debating this MPF score especially with i500.  Lots of it got technical with VCOG coming into the calculation.   I tried to ignore it and focus on how they actually play in my hands.  I would suggest getting maybe one iron vs a set of long irons in any of your choosing and then see how that goes.  For me, I start to loose consistency and ball speed on irons below 5 iron, therefore I'm still confident with the iblade 5 iron, but am still loving my i20 rescue 23* in my 4 iron spot.  As when I'm in trouble,  I have option of hooding my 5 iron or punching out with my i20 rescue.   My trouble always comes from the tee and the Driver.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jmo15 said:

The more I read into MPF, the more I think it does not matter at all Haha

 

The final MPF score doesn't.  But the details that make up the score have a great deal of value.

 

If you miss on the toe quite a bit, you might want something with a larger C-Dimension.  If you're a shallow swinger/sweeper, you might do better with lower vertical CG clubheads; steeper swingers may (emphasis on "may") prefer somewhat higher vertical CGs.  And MOI is the measurement of actual forgiveness.

 

For vertical CG, it's worth noting the midpoint of a golfball is 0.840"

 

  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

 

The final MPF score doesn't.  But the details that make up the score have a great deal of value.

 

If you miss on the toe quite a bit, you might want something with a larger C-Dimension.  If you're a shallow swinger/sweeper, you might do better with lower vertical CG clubheads; steeper swingers may (emphasis on "may") prefer somewhat higher vertical CGs.  And MOI is the measurement of actual forgiveness.

 

For vertical CG, it's worth noting the midpoint of a golfball is 0.840"

 

I am not sure what vertical CG but is that the VCOG numbers on the chart? Which VCOG number should I be looking at here?

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, jmo15 said:

I am not sure what vertical CG but is that the VCOG numbers on the chart? Which VCOG number should I be looking at here?

 

Yes, VCOG is what I'm referring to (vertical center of gravity).  I'd suggest the "Actual VCOG" is the number to look at.

 

The "C" Dim. number is the distance in inches from the COG to the centerline of the hosel, at the sole.

 

 

image.png.fe3191a3a553fbc714d2b929e51903c2.png

  • Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that you also might need to consider is turf interaction between the two club designs in the blended set. I used to game the ie1’s, and I thought it was a great iron set, but they weren’t the best for my swing getting through the turf on the course I play.  I made the switch to iBlades, which have a thinner sole design compared to the ie1’s, and haven’t looked back.

  • Like 1

G410 LST 9* w/ Tensei PW 70TX
'17 M1 15* w/ AD DI-8x
G410 19* w/ AD DI-95x
iBlade 3-PW w/ DG AMT TI X100

Glide 50*/54*/58* w/ DG AMT TI X100

Newport Mil-Spec Pro Platinum 350g playing 35"

Snell MTB Black
 
(On the bench: iBlade 4-PW w/ Modus 105x and a Glide 3.0 50* w/ Modus 105x)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 RBC Heritage - discussions and links
      Please post any questions and comments here.
       
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #1
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #2
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #3
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #4
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #5
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #6
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #7
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #8
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #9
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #10
       

       
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #1
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #2
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #3
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #4
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #5
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #6
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #7
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #8
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #9
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #10
       
       

       
      Custom Cameron putters - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Bettinardi putter - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Robert Streb's custom stamped Vokey wedge - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Ben An's custom stamped Vokey - 2021 RBC Heritage
      • 7 replies
    • 2021 Valero Texas Open - discussion & links
      Please put any questions or comments here. 
       
      This week, the PGA Tour is at TPC San Antonio on the Oaks Course for the Valero Texas Open. GolfWRX was on-site Tuesday to catch a glimpse into the bags of some of the world’s top golfers.
       
      The field of 144 is getting ready to battle starting Thursday for the $7.7 million purse, with $1.386 million going to the winner. The tournament is also the last event where players can qualify for The Masters, just like Canadian Corey Conners did last year.
       
      Check out our "Most interesting photos" Part 1, and Part 2.
       

       
      2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #1 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #2 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #3 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #4 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #5 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #6 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #7 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #8  


       
      Cameron putters (added Bernd Wiesberger's custom T-11) -2021 Valero Texas Open Piretti putters -2021 Valero Texas Open Branden Grace testing AutoFlex shaft @ 2021 Valero Texas Open  
      Check out our "Most interesting photos" Part 1, and Part 2.
       

       
      • 29 replies
    • **GIVEAWAY** Odyssey Ten Triple Track Putter! ENTER NOW!
      NEW Odyssey Ten Triple Track putter giveaway!!!.To enter reply in this thread that you're IN!
       
      That's it. You'll be entered into the giveaway (one entry per person). Winner chosen at random in two weeks. Be sure to check out the attached pics. Good luck!
       
      If you are not a member her please register here to allow you to reply to this post and enter. Registration is free... https://forums.golfwrx.com/register/
      ======================================================================================================
      We randomize all the number of posts and the #1 number on the top is the winner. Say there is 1,000 replies from members. We will randomize 1 to 1,000 using a website that has a randomizer. It scrambles the numbers and the #1 is the first place and the #2 is the second etc. If the winner has duplicate entries we count the first
       





       
      • 1,599 replies
    • 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - discussion and links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       

       
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #1
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #2
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #3
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #4
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #5
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #6
       
       

       
      Hideki testing putters at WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
      Odyssey/Toulon Atlanta putter - 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
      Cameron putters - 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
      Patrick Reed testing TPT shafts 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
       
       
        • Like
      • 54 replies
    • 2021 Players - discussion and links
      Please post any questions or comments here
       
       

       
      2021 Players - Monday #1
      2021 Players - Monday #2
      2021 Players - Monday #3
      2021 Players - Monday #4
      2021 Players - Tuesday #1
      2021 Players - Tuesday #2
      2021 Players - Tuesday #3
      2021 Players - Tuesday #4
      2021 Players - Tuesday #5
      2021 Players - Tuesday #6
       
       

       
      Maverick McNealy's custom 1 of 1 Callaway Apex MB irons - 2021 Players
      Adam Long's Cameron T-5 proto - 2021 Players
      Abraham Ancer's custom Muira irons and custom MMT shafts - 2021 Players
      Bettinardi putters & cover - 2021 Players
      Jon Rahm's bag - 2021 Players
      Xander Schauffele's bag - 2021 Players
      Sergio with a Cameron putter - 2021 Players
      Cameron T11 & 11.5 putters - 2021 Players
      Sergio Garcia's clubs - 2021 Players
      Scott Brown's Odyssey gamer - 2021 Players
       
       
       
      • 52 replies

×
×
  • Create New...