Sun Mountain Maverick vs C130 vs C130s vs 4.5LS

Need some help deciding which route to take... My Winn Dri-Tac midsized grips are getting hung up too often in my Titleist carry bag.

Since I ride 100% of the time I play, I am considering getting a cart bag. I hear a lot of horror stories about them blowing over and being a PITA which makes me not sure...

Was looking at the Sun Mountain collection - Maverick vs C130 vs C130S vs 4.5LS.... Can you guys help create some clarity for me around this with the experiences you've had so far?

PS - My Son was born last march and his name is Maverick 😃 so slight bias there if it makes sense

Dr - Sim2Max - 9* - Ventus Velo Black 6x @ 45in

5w - Sim2Ti - 19* @ 17.5* - Tensei AV Raw Blue FW 75 @ 42.25in

2 UDI - P790 - PX 6.5

4-AW - P790 - PX 6.5

56 - MG2 TW - PX 6.0

60 - MG2 TW - PX 6.0

Putter - Spider X Navy - Single Bend @ 34in

Based on the fact that you ride in a cart 100% of the time, the Maverick and C-130 should more suited to you as they have the reverse oriented top which is designed with carts in mind. It's hard to tell the different between the two, to be honest. However, neither has legs. There are other threads speaking to the perils of this, such as falling over on sloping parking lots, driving ranges and due to wind. So you'll want to lay it down in those cases or invest in an after market set of legs you can install yourself.

C-130S has legs, but has a traditional top if that bothers you. But it might be a good compromise. 4.5LS also has legs, but is designed as a carry bag. You will have less storage space and definitely more club tangle that you get with a larger cart bag.

I'm holding out for a C-130S myself, but that's because I use a push cart most often and I want a traditional top (vs. a reverse oriented top).

Your biggest problem is availability. According to various websites and my local shop, none of these bags will be available until mid-late summer. You might find some availability in limited colors if you look around.

Edited by shaneyank

19 minutes ago, shaneyank said:

Based on the fact that you ride in a cart 100% of the time, the Maverick and C-130 should more suited to you as they have the reverse oriented top which is designed with carts in mind. It's hard to tell the different between the two, to be honest. However, neither has legs. There are other threads speaking to the perils of this, such as falling over on sloping parking lots, driving ranges and due to wind. So you'll want to lay it down in those cases or invest in an after market set of legs you can install yourself.

C-130S has legs, but has a traditional top if that bothers you. But it might be a good compromise. 4.5LS also has legs, but is designed as a carry bag. You will have less storage space and definitely more club tangle that you get with a larger cart bag.

I'm holding out for a C-130S myself, but that's because I use a push cart most often and I want a traditional top (vs. a reverse oriented top).

Your biggest problem is availability. According to various websites and my local shop, none of these bags will be available until mid-late summer. You might find some availability in limited colors if you look around.

Wish the Maverick had legs if you don't think there is a huge difference between that model and the C130...

Saw the C130s at carls in the cobalt blue is in stock. Good looking color.

I'm not tracking with you on the "traditional top" comment though? this c130s has 14 way in reverse orientation where the legs are mounted facing the cart with the putter well on the outside? maybe I am interpreting that wrong though?

image.png.97045263c1631c291ef481635bf301fc.png

2 UDI - P790 - PX 6.5

4-AW - P790 - PX 6.5

56 - MG2 TW - PX 6.0

60 - MG2 TW - PX 6.0

9 hours ago, shaneyank said:

The cobalt blue is very nice, but I am holding out for the black C-130S.

To answer your question about "traditional" vs. "reverse" orientation of the top, I created the attached pictures which I hope illustrates the difference.

In words, almost all bags have a slanted top. That is, if you stand the bag vertically, the top will slant from back to front. "Reverse" orientation is designed specifically for cart bags to ensure that the pockets face outward while your longest clubs are towards the back of the bag. A "traditional" orientation is the opposite. The point being convenience, which is pretty smart, in my opinion

Picture putting the C-130 and the C-130S on the same cart, side by side, with the pockets facing outward. Now, notice that the clubs will be oriented/slanting exactly opposite. It helps if you ignore the putter well.

210119_C130S_Red_Navy_White_Alt.jpg

210303_C130_Navy_White_Red.jpg

210373_Maverick_Navy_White_Red.jpg

100% clear on that difference now. Great illustration. Seems like the question in my mind moves towards how drastic is the standard tilt on the c130s if you put it on the cart legs first. 

In that case, the layout would be the same as the c130/Maverick I believe but the angles could be all messed up to your point. 

2 UDI - P790 - PX 6.5

4-AW - P790 - PX 6.5

56 - MG2 TW - PX 6.0

60 - MG2 TW - PX 6.0

5 hours ago, Matty_ICE15 said:

Seems like the question in my mind moves towards how drastic is the standard tilt on the c130s if you put it on the cart legs first.

The tilt on the C130S is not drastic. It's just less convenient. Every time you reach for a short iron or wedge, you have to reach past your bulky woods and head covers.

Another member shared this contraption recently:

eBay: Golf Bag Stand Attachment

If only getting one bag can't go wrong with C130....I have 5 of them collected over the years.

The additional pockets on C130 compared to Maverick come in handy when it gets cooler outside.

That said, I was thinking of a Maverick for TX summers, but after comparing the two, I'll stay with C130.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

16 minutes ago, shaneyank said:

The tilt on the C130S is not drastic. It's just less convenient. Every time you reach for a short iron or wedge, you have to reach past your bulky woods and head covers.

Another member shared this contraption recently:

eBay: Golf Bag Stand Attachment

Why couldn't you put your Woods in the back closest to the cart? The organization becomes the same as the C130/Maverick just with a different tilt?

• Like 1

2 UDI - P790 - PX 6.5

4-AW - P790 - PX 6.5

56 - MG2 TW - PX 6.0

60 - MG2 TW - PX 6.0

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, GSDriver said:

If only getting one bag can't go wrong with C130....I have 5 of them collected over the years.

The additional pockets on C130 compared to Maverick come in handy when it gets cooler outside.

That said, I was thinking of a Maverick for TX summers, but after comparing the two, I'll stay with C130.

Do you experience any issues with your c130 falling over in the wind? - getting out of car, taking off cart, etc...

I'd imagine you probably set it down most of the time instead of leaving it standing - do the woods contact the ground when its on its side like that?

Edited by Matty_ICE15

2 UDI - P790 - PX 6.5

4-AW - P790 - PX 6.5

56 - MG2 TW - PX 6.0

60 - MG2 TW - PX 6.0

3 minutes ago, Matty_ICE15 said:

Why couldn't you put your Woods in the back closest to the cart? The organization becomes the same as the C130/Maverick just with a different tilt?

Oh, gotcha. Yes, you can certainly do that. You might find that your wedges, being shorter, don't reach the bottom of the bag and instead touch the top. I could be wrong because I don't have a C130S yet.

• Like 1

The c130 is pretty big and bulky especially if the outside pockets are full of rain gear and will probably fall over at some point unless you always set it down.  The c130s works just fine on a cart.  But I do use both and they both serve their purpose.  If I had to choose only one it would definitely be the 130s.

• Like 2

TM M6 9 GD Tour AD HD 6x
TM M6 15 GD Tour AD TP 7x
TM M6 18 GD Tour AD VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G KBS $taper
Vokey SM8 55D, 61M KBS 610
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT TOUR BLACK
Best Grips leather grips
Snell MTB-X yellow

4 minutes ago, Matty_ICE15 said:

Do you experience any issues with your c130 falling over in the wind?

I'd imagine you probably set it down most of the time instead of leaving it standing - do the woods contact the ground when its on its side like that?

It's usually on the cart, I guess strong wind could knock over....it's fallen over in the garage a few times, but since my woods have their headcovers on when I'm not using them, no damage.....won't any bag let clubs touch the ground when lying on its side?

C130 is the best bag I've ever owned, which is why I have so many (model changes, color preference changes).  I've looked at many others but always choose the C130, there just isn't one that I've found to be better.

• Like 1

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

1 minute ago, mokedaddy said:

The c130 is pretty big and bulky especially if the outside pockets are full of rain gear and will probably fall over at some point unless you always set it down.  The c130s works just fine on a cart.  But I do use both and they both serve their purpose.  If I had to choose only one it would definitely be the 130s.

For the C130S - Can you comment on if standard length wedges sit flush with the bottom of the bag when used in the 3 bigger sections closest to the putter well? - or do the heads rest on the top of the bag like @shaneyank mentioned could possibly happen?

2 UDI - P790 - PX 6.5

4-AW - P790 - PX 6.5

56 - MG2 TW - PX 6.0

60 - MG2 TW - PX 6.0

16 minutes ago, Matty_ICE15 said:

For the C130S - Can you comment on if standard length wedges sit flush with the bottom of the bag when used in the 3 bigger sections closest to the putter well? - or do the heads rest on the top of the bag like @shaneyank mentioned could possibly happen?

If I’m using the stand bag on a cart it’s usually because it’s an impromptu round and I don’t bother turning the clubs around.  I use it the designed way because it’s much better when I’m using the pull cart or range duty.  Otherwise I would just use the cart bag as opposed to flopping them and forth in the same bag.

Edited by mokedaddy

TM M6 9 GD Tour AD HD 6x
Best Grips leather grips
Snell MTB-X yellow

3 hours ago, mokedaddy said:

If I’m using the stand bag on a cart it’s usually because it’s an impromptu round and I don’t bother turning the clubs around.  I use it the designed way because it’s much better when I’m using the pull cart or range duty.  Otherwise I would just use the cart bag as opposed to flopping them and forth in the same bag.

Makes sense... I'm considering using the stand bag exclusive for cart play but with the luxury to use the stand in transition of house/car/range/cart/etc. I wouldn't be flopping back and forth either, but I would keep my clubs in reverse orientation if it works out that way...

since you have the bag handy it seems, would you be willing to drop one of your wedges in a slot close to the putter well to test for me please? maybe even a driver on the opposite side to make sure it doesn't stick out too far out as well? - similar to how they'd fit in the regular c130 for reference.

2 UDI - P790 - PX 6.5

4-AW - P790 - PX 6.5

56 - MG2 TW - PX 6.0

60 - MG2 TW - PX 6.0

25 minutes ago, Matty_ICE15 said:

Makes sense... I'm considering using the stand bag exclusive for cart play but with the luxury to use the stand in transition of house/car/range/cart/etc. I wouldn't be flopping back and forth either, but I would keep my clubs in reverse orientation if it works out that way...

since you have the bag handy it seems, would you be willing to drop one of your wedges in a slot close to the putter well to test for me please? maybe even a driver on the opposite side to make sure it doesn't stick out too far out as well? - similar to how they'd fit in the regular c130 for reference.

I have the cart bag here at the moment but if I remember next time I’ll check for you.  I don’t think you should have any problem though.  The top is relatively flat if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

TM M6 9 GD Tour AD HD 6x
Best Grips leather grips
Snell MTB-X yellow

• 2 months later...
On 4/6/2021 at 4:23 PM, Matty_ICE15 said:

Hey Matty, here's a picture of my new c-130s in the reverse order with the driver and woods down the bottom and wedges up top. The wedges touch the bottom and do not lay on the head which is good. I played a round yesterday with the clubs in the regular orientation, not this one, and it kind of drove me crazy because I was riding in a cart and reaching past the woods to find the correct iron was a little annoying. I don't know if I'm going to go back and forth between switching the club placement whether I'm walking or on a cart but I'll figure out something.

Edit: I added a second picture, which is what the full set looks like when you put it in reverse order, like it was standing in a cart. I think this is the way I'm going to go with switching the clubs whether I'm walking or riding. I know it's a little bit of a pain but I think it's going to be much more convenient.

16241124800389141091509186033602.jpg

MVIMG_20210619_103324.jpg

Edited by Zeros
  • Like 1