Any of you sign your kids up for PGA Jr League?

I am disappointed in many of the teams we faced this year that didn't have any girls on their teams.  PGA junior league should have a minimum number of girls on each team to be eligible for advancing through.  My impression getting into PGA JL was that it was intended as a 'come one come all' league of inclusion.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PGA HERO said:

I am disappointed in many of the teams we faced this year that didn't have any girls on their teams.  PGA junior league should have a minimum number of girls on each team to be eligible for advancing through.  My impression getting into PGA JL was that it was intended as a 'come one come all' league of inclusion.

Our team was composed of kids from two local clubs (our league was just two squads each from both clubs). Both clubs have tons of little kids and we couldn’t fill our “all-star” team with kids with experience. Three of the 8 were girls.

The team we lost to was a murderer’s row of long and longer boys from one club. I don’t know if they were all members but the club had enough kids that it comprised it’s own league which held tryouts. 

Making it to the second day of the sectional championship with an undermanned team was as good as we could have hoped for and we, as parents, couldn’t have been more proud.

Edited by BFD3

Wow crazy finals.  We made it to match play and tied the other team with 6 flags a piece.  Needless to say we lost in a cardoff.   Anyone know where I can find the specific pga jr league rules in case of tie?  I cant believe they handle a chance at the finals with a cardoff.  We teed off at 7am and each group only played 9 holes.  I assume the resort we played at wasnt willing to allow an actual playoff, which is how it should of been handled.

17 minutes ago, kekoa said:

Wow crazy finals.  We made it to match play and tied the other team with 6 flags a piece.  Needless to say we lost in a cardoff.   Anyone know where I can find the specific pga jr league rules in case of tie?  I cant believe they handle a chance at the finals with a cardoff.  We teed off at 7am and each group only played 9 holes.  I assume the resort we played at wasnt willing to allow an actual playoff, which is how it should of been handled.

Reading this thread it sounds like you were lucky to have gotten in on a technicality and then lost on a technicality.  Count your blessings and play better next time.

I have a good buddy who signed his son up in Utah and has had nothing but great feedback. Can't wait until my little guy is old enough. Already hitting balls like a maniac at home at 2.5

• Like 3

**WITB as of 10/12/21****

Taylormade SIM 2 - 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6X tipped 1.5" playing at 45" D5 SW Hotmelt added to head

Taylormade SIM 2 MAX - 15* Ventus Blue 7X Tipped 2" playing at 43" D5 SW Bent Flat and hot melted

Taylormade SIM 2 MAX Hybrid - 19* Ventus Blue HB 9X 

Callaway 21' X-Forged UT 18* - Ventus Blue HB 9X / 2* Flat (+1* loft)

Miura TC-201 4-PW $-taper 130X 2* flat

Taylormade MG 3 KBS 610 Wedge 125S+ 50SB/55SB/60HB
Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4 standard + 2 wraps
TaylorMade TP Soto 33.5” with Super Stroke Pistol GTR 2.0 - 

The captain of the winning team was on the PGA Radio station this morning. He said he started his own league and now gets to hand pick his team from kids all over San Diego, similar to the team from Scottsdale. They won the National championship in 2015 and 2018 and now are going back with what he says is a young team with a lot of 11-12 year olds. 

• Like 2

On 9/11/2021 at 10:36 PM, BFD3 said:

The captain of the winning team was on the PGA Radio station this morning. He said he started his own league and now gets to hand pick his team from kids all over San Diego, similar to the team from Scottsdale. They won the National championship in 2015 and 2018 and now are going back with what he says is a young team with a lot of 11-12 year olds. 

Right in line with the mission of PGA Junior League (*sarcasm*) - I wonder if this guy would have taken the time to recruit the top kids if the finals weren't on TV.  By the way is this thing still on TV?  This is the part that turned me off to PGA Junior League and many coaches do this all across the US

34 minutes ago, ncalgolf said:

Right in line with the mission of PGA Junior League (*sarcasm*) - I wonder if this guy would have taken the time to recruit the top kids if the finals weren't on TV.  By the way is this thing still on TV?  This is the part that turned me off to PGA Junior League and many coaches do this all across the US

The coach gets paid for each level they move through. Not all of the fees you pay go to him or her but a large amount does. Is it worth it? Probably not compared to having a full lesson tee but they aren’t doing it for free. 

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

I love the concept of PGA Jr. League.  What PGA Jr. League has become ruins the Spirit of what the intentions were to be.  This is what happens when you offer a National Championship to be televised on TV and allow programs to recruit players. 

When PGA Junior League started, there would be a single team from certain areas that would form a League in a region.  In South Florida I believe there were a total of 4 teams from the Boca Area to the Treasure Coast.  Each team was run by an Area Coach.  They all played each other and the all-stars were chosen by how the teams finished in the league.  It worked well until a coach thought "I want all my kids to go to the all-stars." Those teams then decided to form their own 4 team leagues in their perspective areas which began the recruitment of players.

Personally, I would rather go back to the original concept and take All Star Teams based on players regionally rather than the recruited All-Star team.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ncalgolf said:

One thing I will say about that SD team is they have depth.  Basically each and every player on the squad can flat out play and are tournament tested.  The coach did a very good job hand picking this team and they had great camaraderie.    As for our team, we had a good idea of who would make the team, but the kids still had to play 5 (9 hole matches) so the spots were earned.  Most of our kids were very good as well, but a few kids were not as polished in tournament play.  Hoping to give it another run next year with a few girls on the team.

• Like 1

My youngest son just re-joined the PGA JL of 1757 Club in Ashburn, VA, after taking a couple of years off.  Their JL Team is one of the best in the region.  So I will see how well he does in it.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi 2 Driver, 9.0, Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 S

Titleist TSi 2 Fairway Wood, 15.0, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei AV Raw Blue 65 R

Titleist TSi 2 Fairway Wood, 18.0, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei AV Raw Blue 65 R
Titleist 2021 T200 Irons, 4 to AW, True Temper AMT Black R300
Titleist Vokey SM8 Wedges, 54*, S Grind and 60*, M Grind, True Temper Dynamic Gold S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Special Select Putter, Newport 2

• 3 weeks later...

Didnt read all the replies...but ill share our story for our first year of PGA JR. We had 3-4 courses in our immediate area that had teams...a couple of the private clubs were member only (not joinable by the public)...but we decided on one private club that was open to the public. $400 (which I agree is steep) for the season. 

This will obviously vary depending on where you are and how much experiences the coaches have..but we found the practice / coaching sessions to be an absolute mess. This was this particular courses first time running this league...but from what I saw that wasnt an excuse for the lack of coaching / assistance. 

They ended up with around 35 kids (all 13u) and broke them into 3 teams. Each team only got 1 day a week practices (for an hour). These practices tended to end up being just chipping / putting (which is obviously important). Next to no coaching from the 2-3 PGA professionals the course had. In every single practice we went to the kids went on course 1 time (and played 1 single hole). It was also like puling teeth to get the PGA Jr league items from the coaches (they got their jerseys and hat but didnt get their bag tag / draw string bag until the season was over (despite them having them on hand week 1)).

The first match (an away match) showed just how under-prepared our team was. Half the kids didnt understand the format, some even showed up not knowing they needed their own golf balls. We got lucky in that my daughter (9) was one of the most talented on the team and was allowed to play all 9 holes in every match (and also had 1 static partner who did the same with her). They meshed really well and played solid together. There was next to no communication on what color jerseys to wear (blue / orange as some weeks there would be back to back matches), kids would show up in whatever color they wanted.

Our first "home" match was equally as disastrous for a large majority of the kids / parents. Didnt know how to find their starting holes, didnt know the course (as most had only seen the first hole in practice), etc. All in all the kids I feel had a good time..just most were 100% first time beginners. I think with some additional coaching and assistance from the staff it could have been much more successful.

At the end of the season I was told my daughter made the all star team, but was then rejected as she was not of age (apparently you have to be 10).

All in all I will most likely sign her up again next year...but will know what to expect going into it. We considered trying another course next year but doubt she would be able to play the full 9 like she did this year. Despite the high cost and lack of communication / coaching she had fun..and thats what matters at her age.

My daughter is trying Jr. League for the first time this fall. She is loving it. The practices were moderately organized, just hitting balls, chipping and putting on the green.

The first match was really fun. The kids they played against were evenly matched with tournament experience so it was pretty competitive, neither team had any bogeys in her pairing. She is one of the better players, which makes it fun for her as well.

With anything it comes down to the people organizing it and how well they communicate and how much time they can dedicate to getting it right. Our league uses an app, to ensure that they have the pairings, hole assignments, and other information readily available, plus an e-mail backup.

• Like 1