• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whatever irons he's using I'd like to see him use the Autoflex in them, single length at 46".

These seem to be VERY CRISP, PRECISE and forgiving enough to know where you are hitting the ball and what you did with your swing...    

I remember reading a while back that the 620 was an attempt to design an up to date 680 to try and get him out of those irons. Looks like they finally succeeded. Just a few months before the new Title

Posted Images

On 4/6/2021 at 7:21 PM, Golfingfanatic said:

Shaft change aswell from KBS Tour 130x to PX LZ.

Sure that he has, in the past used the PX LZ’s but certainly interesting to see him go back that way.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff Tour AD DI
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

www.youtube.com/oneillgolf

Almost his entire bag is different this week compared to Riv. New driver, new loft on his fairway wood, new irons and shafts, back to the K grind lob wedge, and on his 3rd putter of 2021. So much going on for someone who historically doesn't change much.

• Like 1

Titleist PENDING
Titleist PENDING

Titleist PENDING
Titleist 716 T-MB 4-iron, KBS Tour
Titleist T100S, 4-PW, Project X
Titleist Vokey SM8 50.08F, Project X
Titleist Vokey SM8, 54.10S, Dynamic Gold S200 
Titleist Vokey SM8, 60.08M, Dynamic Gold S200 
Titleist Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5
Pro V1x

2 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

Sure that he has, in the past used the PX LZ’s but certainly interesting to see him go back that way.

Probably to get the launch windows back where he wants them with the new iron heads. He’s talked about that being the most important thing for him over feel with his irons 

Callaway Mavrik TD 9* VENTUS BLK 6
Titleist TSI 15* VENTUS BLK 7
Titleist U500 2 GD DI
Grindworks MB 101A PW-4 DG TI
Titleist Vokey 51*, 56*, 60* DG TI
Tour Rat Proto 

On 4/6/2021 at 2:58 PM, ThinkingPlus said:

If they are one off customs with that kind of huge design difference then it would be pretty disingenuous of Titleist to market them as a 620.

Companies do this all the time......Nike didnt "make" some of Tigers irons.....they just badged them like that. Same when he played Titleist Irons.....they were Miuras with Titleist badging..... rumors also suggest Rory's Nike blades were produced by Miura but that is not confirmed. 

the average consumer doesnt get a lot of the same irons the high level pros play.....

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, tsecor said:

Companies do this all the time......Nike didnt "make" some of Tigers irons.....they just badged them like that. Same when he played Titleist Irons.....they were Miuras with Titleist badging..... rumors also suggest Rory's Nike blades were produced by Miura but that is not confirmed. 

the average consumer doesnt get a lot of the same irons the high level pros play.....

I guess the point I was trying to make is that the design between the clubs is dramatically different.  Having a sexier manufacturer for the pros is fine, but the 620 is a traditional old school high CG blade design whereas the 680 was a relatively forgiving low CG modern blade.  Totally opposite design goals.

25 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

I guess the point I was trying to make is that the design between the clubs is dramatically different.  Having a sexier manufacturer for the pros is fine, but the 620 is a traditional old school high CG blade design whereas the 680 was a relatively forgiving low CG modern blade.  Totally opposite design goals.

Not sure anyone has ever described the 680 as a "forgiving low CG modern blade" before. They have the highest CG* of virtually any mass production blade Titleist have ever made and are probably the lowest launching. Going off Maltby VCOG numbers as a single determining factor for launch is debatable given Maltby has the Titleist 822 OS big game improvement irons that 100% launch higher than 680 as having a higher VCOG.

*You might want to re-check your Maltby numbers as they aren't comparing apples to apples, the 680 number is from a 5 iron vs 620 from a 6 iron.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Skipperation said:

Not sure anyone has ever described the 680 as a "forgiving low CG modern blade" before. They have the highest CG* of virtually any mass production blade Titleist have ever made and are probably the lowest launching. Going off Maltby VCOG numbers as a single determining factor for launch is debatable given Maltby has the Titleist 822 OS big game improvement irons that 100% launch higher than 680 as having a higher VCOG.

*You might want to re-check your Maltby numbers as they aren't comparing apples to apples, the 680 number is from a 5 iron vs 620 from a 6 iron.

Did you read all posts in this thread?  My caveats vis-a-vis the Maltby numbers were provided in an earlier post. VCOG and loft (as far as clubhead is concerned) are essentially the only determiners of launch.  Both are easily measurable.

Yes and I'm basically saying that determining the expected launch based of a single measurement of two different lofted clubs (and therefore designed differently despite being both blades) is no way of comparing how sets perform. The 680s have been around for almost 2 decades and it's well established that they are a high muscle, pretty low launching and fairly unforgiving club. The 690s were their easier to hit, longer blade length and higher launching brother, whilst the 670's had the shorter blade and squarer look.

I'm pretty certain the 620 and 680 are fairly similar other than some small shape refinements and the lack of offset in the 620 which is the main reason Scott has said he hasn't moved to them before. This is from about 2 weeks before the tournament by the sounds of it, but he states pretty clearly offset has been the issue;

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/whats-in-the-bag-masters-edition/id1561187537?i=1000516390670

• Like 1
On 4/6/2021 at 6:48 PM, elcgolf said:

Everything about that iron is PERFECT except the toe. I feel like Titleist has designed a beautiful blade but forgotten to address the end of it. It’s not rounded like a Srixon, boxy like a TM, or squared off like a Wilson. Instead, it’s an oblong mess with a bulbous lower half and incongruous top. #PleaseFindDonWhite

I stand over 620s all the time and don't see what you're attempting to point out as a design flaw.

I have 670MBs and MacGregor MBs, but never any Srixon.  What Srixon model are you referring to?  You may be seeing the offset difference.  Srixon's closest MB is Z-Forged; it's 6i is 107" while 620MB 6i is 0.75".  That can affect how the toe appears, least to me.  More offset would make it appear a bit more closed.  Even the 620 CB 6i offset is .098; converted from mm.

When the blade is behind the ball it's squared quite nicely to the target-line.  However, after I align the face I then slightly aim it to the right of the target line.  Helps me to take the club head away more on the inside and deliver it back on the inside to out, then back in.  What surprises me is Titleist made CB series so much like MBs, it's amazing.

• Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1x, AVX, ProV1