Oakley Golf Prizm Sunglasses

17 hours ago, Unteachable said:

What frames are everyone using?

I have half jackets with prism golf and am going to get some dark golf and I’m considering another set of half jacket, flak jackets and the mercenary and maybe even Holbrook (but I don’t think I would like the full frame 

I just bought the half jackets xl 2.0. I have a large head and face. They fit me well but I think they make my face look even larger. I'm coming from Mframes with heater lenses.

I ordered a pair of Flak Jackets Xl 2.0 for fishing with polarized lenses to try out. I haven't received them yet to compare. 

An above poster claims the Flaks are for larger heads. The Half Jackets are fine for me as long as I don't look in a mirror. They fit well and I don't notice wearing them.

The prism golf dark lenses are fantastic.

On 4/22/2021 at 10:55 AM, jll62 said:

I've been wearing the golf lenses for years, starting with the G30. I really like the Prizm Golf as my overall go-to lens both on and off the course (e.g., while driving). I have the Prizm Golf Dark lens and will wear that occasionally, but I tend to stick with the regular golf lens because I don't want a lot of light transmission cut. I like things to still be a little bright, just not as bright as it is with no sunglasses.

Same for me. I like the original Prizm golf over the dark.

I wear the Radar EV path with Prizm golf lenses, I love these lenses so much but the frame choices available are slim, these are my typical go to golf glasses. If it’s a less serious round I have 6 other pairs of Oakleys with the Prizm Road lenses (Jaw Breakers, Sutro Lites, EVzero Blades) I’m a big fan of the big one piece lenses, and the road lenses are a solid choice for a very bright day. 

• Like 1

real real bad at golf

Have been through so many and can't get enough! Currently rotate through the Prizm Golf and Road lenses for my Jawbreakers (golf, running and riding), Prizm Ruby for Crossrange (dailies) and Prizm Golf Dark for Targetline (golf and cloudy days)... Had G30 for Holbrook and Juliets, but they are well out of date prescription. There's plenty of frames out there for golf lenses now, glad the days of only Flak and Half Jacket options are gone. 

It must be noted that Prizm Golf and even Golf Dark are actually good for dark / cloudy days (getting ball out of trees) they aren't dark lenses. Perhaps I was the only one confused about that initially... 

Overall favourite is Prizm Ruby. They cut out so much glare, great for Aussie sunny weather and improve the contrast dramatically. However I do revert to the Prizm dark most rounds because whilst they let in a fair bit of light, they keep everything sharp and you never have to take them off, starting early, finishing late or when clouds blow over... 

Edited by Sandles
Typo
  • Like 1

I am a big Oakley fan.  I've had the G30s since they came out and still use them for lower light, overcast days (or late in the season as the sun goes down earlier in NH) and use the Prizm Golf Dark for sunny days.  I tried the regular Prizm Golf and they were nearly unusable as my eyes got sore a few holes into a sunny day.  Near zero relief from brightness but MAN did the colors look great.  I returned them and went back to my G30s with no issue.  

I use them in the Flak 2.0.  Honestly, I liked the regular Flak frames as they don't have that annoying notch that I can see in my periphery. 

For giggles I'll be trying some Kaenon Burnet Mids with their Ultra Brown lens.  These overtook my Oakleys as my daily use specs.  I know that polarized isn't always the best for golf, but I'm loving these glasses for off the course so I'll try them out on the course and see how it goes.  After being an Oakley-head for decades, I can honestly say that the lens tech with Kaenon may be even better.  Japanese lenses and Italian frames.  Not too shabby.  

Good luck with whatever you go with! 

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

On 4/27/2021 at 1:37 AM, Bentron said:

@Sandles Wait do they have golf lenses for jaw breakers? 

They sure do. Well did a couple of years ago when I bought mine. Hmmm doesn't appear available online (although some are selling theirs 'as new'), maybe they discontinued for the Jawbreaker 😕, but I bought them in Oakley store. Out of curiosity will check in next time I pass the shop. 

• Like 1

The oakley website is not the easiest [for me] to navigate.

So the prizm baseball lenses, the orange ones (prizm ruby), they help with the ball standing out against the sky and grass?  But the rose base prizm lenses are the golf specific lenses?

Is there a link to a sheet that explains the best applications of the lenses?  This color for fishing, this color for golf, etc.?

6 hours ago, smashdn said:

The oakley website is not the easiest [for me] to navigate.

So the prizm baseball lenses, the orange ones (prizm ruby), they help with the ball standing out against the sky and grass?  But the rose base prizm lenses are the golf specific lenses?

Is there a link to a sheet that explains the best applications of the lenses?  This color for fishing, this color for golf, etc.?

This is OK... Prizm Guide

Has a few tables and some info once you close the several popups. 

And yes to your questions. I could use my Prizm Ruby for golf (one of the members in my group of 4 does), the contrast of all colours is enhanced more than the Gold and Golf Dark. However the Golf ones focus particularly on the white vs green as far as I know and let in more light. In saying that I used to have Prizm Snow for every day glasses and they were much better than grey polarised ray ban standard for instance. 

Everyone's eyes will react a little differently and feel I'm naturally lacking contrast. 

• Thanks 1

I just picked up a pair of Holbrook Dark Golfs when they went on sale. I'd say they're comfortable, snug, and light weight, and as others have mentioned, in the proper lighting provided enhanced contrast. Playing in Florida last weekend for the first time, i found their help to be.... minimal. Little too bright for mid day Florida sun. Or to put another way, I didn't remember thinking that i had any sort of advantage over my typical sunglasses because it was a full sun day.... I didn't do a side by side comparison though. 

Edited by YetiOne

On 4/7/2021 at 8:49 AM, 4x4GGG said:

I'll always swear by Oakleys on the golf course. They literally saved my life 10 years ago, and I just retired the pair Oakley sent me to replace the ones that saved me as part of their "Bloody eye" club. 

From 40 yards away I took a golf ball, hit by a driver, right to the center of my right eye. According to the doctor, where the ball hit would have liquified my eye and most likely gone right thru the socket and into the brain. But because of the strength of the oakley lens I only wound up with a broken nose and some minor nerve damage. 

That's a great testimony to Oakley, glad it was no worse than it was.  How did you end up 40 yards in front of someone teeing off?  I was wondering if it is was a course like one I played years ago that had a green not far to the right of the tee box and I sliced it so bad I hit a guy on the green and he went down like Willem Dafoe in Platoon when he was shot in the back.

5 hours ago, wingfoot64 said:

That's a great testimony to Oakley, glad it was no worse than it was.  How did you end up 40 yards in front of someone teeing off?  I was wondering if it is was a course like one I played years ago that had a green not far to the right of the tee box and I sliced it so bad I hit a guy on the green and he went down like Willem Dafoe in Platoon when he was shot in the back.

I wasn't "in front". Beer tourney with a shotgun start. I had hit the long ball on 9 and my partner and I pulled our cart up next to the trees on the right side of the fairway for shade waiting for the green to clear. It was a single line of trees and I was the passenger in the cart. Guy on 1 hit some crazy toe ball? Honestly I didn't stick around to get the details. But either way the ball went 45-90 degrees off his initial target line right thru the front of the cart. I have an image in my head of the ball being about 2 feet away. I don't know if it's real or imagined. 

I met the guy twice. The first time I was in the restroom standing at the urinal while my partner was on my phone with my GF as well as a random girl who works at the course who had paramedic training was standing behind me holding an ice bag on face while I went to the bathroom. Her first question when I got to the club house was "What do you need?" It was a beer tourney and I hadn't gone in 9 holes, I said I needed to pee so she followed me in holding the ice bag on my eye. She got upset with me when I stopped and blew a blood filled snot rocket before walking into the club house. Found out later that causes a broken nose to really really go bad. But that was the moment he popped his head in to say sorry. I wasn't mad, but told him to just go away. I hadn't even looked in the mirror yet. The second time I was out front with pretty much every one watching as the EMT was pulling a piece of loose bone out of my nose. He approached like a baby deer in the wild asking if I was OK. Dude... go... away. 

Are Oakley M-Frames still cool to wear? When I was working at the golf shop we had quite a few Oakley glasses. I have the standard M-Frame that don’t fold and I have a pair of Magnesium M-Frame that are pretty cool. Several lenses with each for light conditions. 
I also have a pair or 1/2 jackets which were the precursor to flak jackets. 

21 hours ago, jaderhold said:

Are Oakley M-Frames still cool to wear? When I was working at the golf shop we had quite a few Oakley glasses. I have the standard M-Frame that don’t fold and I have a pair of Magnesium M-Frame that are pretty cool. Several lenses with each for light conditions. 
I also have a pair or 1/2 jackets which were the precursor to flak jackets. 

Felt Jawbreakers and the like are modern M Frames... Cool to some and fit for purpose (riding/running) but ugly to others, similar to speedo swimmers and y front undies 😉 as for half jackets still classic and the 2.0 version is same same, actually find it hard to tell the difference between them and the flak 2.0... Have them with the golf lense, but scratched to buggery and it's cheaper to buy new pair on sale than replacement lenses! Hence good excuse to try different frame 🤔

Edited by Sandles

• 1 month later...

Just received my Oakley Flack 2.0 XL glasses with Dark Prizm lenses. Can't wait to try them on the course Friday. Sunny AZ here and hope they are not too bright. Not sure I can even play in sunglasses. My optometrist said I need to be wearing them. We shall see.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

3 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Just received my Oakley Flack 2.0 XL glasses with Dark Prizm lenses. Can't wait to try them on the course Friday. Sunny AZ here and hope they are not too bright. Not sure I can even play in sunglasses. My optometrist said I need to be wearing them. We shall see.

I have the Half Jackets xl 2.0 with Dark Prizm lenses I use for golf and the Flak Jackets Xl 2.0 for fishing with polarized lenses. I haven't wore the Flak Jackets Xl 2.0 with polarized lenses much yet but I have used the Half Jackets for golf a lot. On the brightest day I thought the lenses could be a little darker but that was only one time out of the dozen times I have wore them. 

I had a senior moment the other day. The sun was going in and out of the clouds. I was putting the glasses on top of my hat when the sun was blocked by the clouds. One time I reached for my glasses on top of my hat and they were gone. I thought I had lost them but the were on my face the whole time. I have no problem wearing these playing golf. I don't even know when I have them on..LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 7:57 AM, YetiOne said:

I just picked up a pair of Holbrook Dark Golfs when they went on sale. I'd say they're comfortable, snug, and light weight, and as others have mentioned, in the proper lighting provided enhanced contrast. Playing in Florida last weekend for the first time, i found their help to be.... minimal. Little too bright for mid day Florida sun. Or to put another way, I didn't remember thinking that i had any sort of advantage over my typical sunglasses because it was a full sun day.... I didn't do a side by side comparison though. 

That’s worrisome to me. I play in the Florida afternoon sunlight for most of my rounds and was leaning toward the dark prizm. Is it really that bright?

I've had both the regular Golf Prizm and Dark Golf Prizm.

I far prefer the standard "light" tint as mine are prescription. The light tint works for sun and cloudy and shady. The darker tint version is great for sunny open fairways and greens, but to me, it's a bit too dark for shade.

Since they're Rx, I really don't have the option of just taking them off in variable conditions. I find the regular golf tint a little too light for super bright conditions, but that's way better than being too dark in shady areas. 

Wow how lucky am I this thread is still going. As I am a sucker for marketing I just ordered some Holbrook XLs with the original PRIZM golf lenses. I am a person who more than my swing, tempo, or mental has struggled with vision problems on the golf course.

I've got a whacky prescription (attached for reference) and some really bad astigmatism without the ability to pick up contrast very well. I've got standard gray polarized prescription Ray-Bans but with or without those I basically cannot visually track a golf ball past 125-150y.

Very glad to hear folks good experiences with them, I really think these might be a really nice addition for me on the course. Will report back when I get them in 8-10 days

prescriptionoakley.png

Edited by rooski

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

Curious if those with the standard PRIZM Golf can confirm the accuracy of these two Oakley images -- is the contrast as striking as these images make it look? 

NO LENS

noprizm.png.a46dd598ccb3ff3985229e199fbe88fe.png

PRIZM Golf

prizmon.png.f1aa6966ca7abf5c3b977455054613dd.png

Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Yeah.  The OG Prizms make things POP.  Just little to no relief for my eyes on bright days, so I had to go to Prizm Golf Dark.

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

Love my Prizm Golf Dark, wear them religiously since my eye doctor warned me of cataracts if I didn't.

WITB:

Driver: PXG Gen 5 0311 XF 
3 Wood: PXG Gen 4 0341X 

7 Wood: Callaway Steelhead XR Heavenwood

Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 850 3H 

Irons: Ping i525 5-PW, Mizuno MP-H5 3 iron

Wedges: TM MG2 52*, Mizuno T7 56*
Putter: SC GoLo Select murdered out custom welded neck
Ball: Snell MTB Black

On 7/9/2021 at 12:14 PM, driverwedge said:

Just little to no relief for my eyes on bright days

I'm a bit afraid of this when mine show up, but im thinking that 30% VLT will be dark enough for me. My current Polarized Ray Bans are somewhere in between 18-40 and i often wish they were not so dark, hopefully OG Prizm Golf should do me well since it doesn't get so bright in Oregon

Edited by rooski