Flynn alto irons v usk UL

Bizzle80

My daughter needs next set of clubs like yesterday...just hit a growth spurt which is great and expensive for me. 

Shes currently in usk ul irons, but I grabbed a Flynn 60’ wedge and it seems light years better than the usk version. Are the regular Flynn irons that much better or should I just stick with the usk in the next size up?

ive read that the irons are all about the same, but the Flynn wedge seems a lot better than her usk wedge, just don’t know about the iron sets.

Any thoughts are appreciated...

1 hour ago, Bizzle80 said:

My daughter needs next set of clubs like yesterday...just hit a growth spurt which is great and expensive for me. 

Shes currently in usk ul irons, but I grabbed a Flynn 60’ wedge and it seems light years better than the usk version. Are the regular Flynn irons that much better or should I just stick with the usk in the next size up?

ive read that the irons are all about the same, but the Flynn wedge seems a lot better than her usk wedge, just don’t know about the iron sets.

Any thoughts are appreciated...

My kids have had, or have currently Flynn Velocity, USKG UL and USKT TS irons.

I think Flynn Velocity irons are better clubs than USKG UL, but aren't quite as good as USKG TS.

I have never picked up a USKG UL wedge other than a PW, but the Velocity wedges are quality clubs and the Alto series is supposed to be even better.  I don't think the USKG TS wedges are any better or worse than the Flynn Velocity wedges.

This is just my opinion, but we've had the 54" Velocity set of irons and wedges for about 17 months and I would do it all over again.

I'm not sure what size/age your daughter is, but my daughter got them when she was a few months past turning 8.  My son has had these clubs for about a year and he turns 8 next month.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bizzle80 said:

Thx for feedback. Seems Flynn only has alto irons now. I’d probably go series 1 - the lightest for my girl. Can’t see anywhere on usk site, but are the alto irons much heavier than the usk UL?

This is one of those things where you won't know until you try.  Might want to get a Demo 6 iron in Series 1 and Series 2.

I had my smallest in USK-UL51 and it was a disaster.

Changed to Alto Series 2 51...and it's like a day and night difference.

Feedback was "I like heavier clubs, dad".

The other guys on here will likely roast me here...but...switched from the Alto 51 Driver to a Cally XR16 with Recoil F1 and again...night and day difference.

2 hours ago, jj9000 said:

This is one of those things where you won't know until you try.  Might want to get a Demo 6 iron in Series 1 and Series 2.

I had my smallest in USK-UL51 and it was a disaster.

Changed to Alto Series 2 51...and it's like a day and night difference.

Feedback was "I like heavier clubs, dad".

The other guys on here will likely roast me here...but...switched from the Alto 51 Driver to a Cally XR16 with Recoil F1 and again...night and day difference.

ok, good call. ill probably just order a demo and go from there. she really likes the new Flynn wedge, and maybe she really has moved on from the UL irons. they grow so damn fast...

funny, she's in an xr driver with a Flynn shaft as well...swings fast enough as well...while keeping pretty solid fundamentals. I don't really alway buy into the 'let them swing out of their shoes and straighten it out in the future..."

45 minutes ago, Bizzle80 said:

ok, good call. ill probably just order a demo and go from there. she really likes the new Flynn wedge, and maybe she really has moved on from the UL irons. they grow so damn fast...

funny, she's in an xr driver with a Flynn shaft as well...swings fast enough as well...while keeping pretty solid fundamentals. I don't really alway buy into the 'let them swing out of their shoes and straighten it out in the future..."

From a statistical standpoint, it is better to be longer and then work on straightening out.  The lower the handicap, from a statistical standpoint, the better the player.  Drive for show and putt for dough is hogwash.  When you go to a junior tournament, more often than not, the better players are the longest hitters.

Edited by heavy_hitter

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

45 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

From a statistical standpoint, it is better to be longer and then work on straightening out.  The lower the handicap, from a statistical standpoint, the better the player.  Drive for show and putt for dough is hogwash.  When you go to a junior tournament, more often than not, the better players are the longest hitters.

I get the analytics on the length benefits...just not sure that preaching to my kid to hit it faster/harder/longer at the expense of hitting it straight makes sense. She already wants to pound driver as far as she can as it is - doesn't every golfer?

I guess perspective as well...I am not particularly focused/worried/care about my daughter making the tour or even collegiate golf. I just want her to be able to play with me, and the fact that at 8 she can hit it straight consistently and now has a better short game than half my buddies is about all I really expect out of her. Her coach (who has multiple high level competitive juniors/collegiate and pro players) seems super happy with her swing and distance so I'm not going to mess with his program.

I don't even have her competing right now for various reasons (tournaments all to far, too stressful for me, she's 8...etc) but she plays probably 3 times a week and has fun. that's all I really care about for now. I figure if she really wants to get competitive in a few years she can be self motivated to do that and ill support with whatever coaching/training that's needed.

Definitely appreciate HH's insights though! Just maybe need to give some perspective for me and my kid. I appreciate the forum for insights into the equipment as she's growing and becoming a better player. Learned so much here...so thanks everyone.

15 hours ago, Bizzle80 said:

I get the analytics on the length benefits...just not sure that preaching to my kid to hit it faster/harder/longer at the expense of hitting it straight makes sense. She already wants to pound driver as far as she can as it is - doesn't every golfer?

I guess perspective as well...I am not particularly focused/worried/care about my daughter making the tour or even collegiate golf. I just want her to be able to play with me, and the fact that at 8 she can hit it straight consistently and now has a better short game than half my buddies is about all I really expect out of her. Her coach (who has multiple high level competitive juniors/collegiate and pro players) seems super happy with her swing and distance so I'm not going to mess with his program.

I don't even have her competing right now for various reasons (tournaments all to far, too stressful for me, she's 8...etc) but she plays probably 3 times a week and has fun. that's all I really care about for now. I figure if she really wants to get competitive in a few years she can be self motivated to do that and ill support with whatever coaching/training that's needed.

Definitely appreciate HH's insights though! Just maybe need to give some perspective for me and my kid. I appreciate the forum for insights into the equipment as she's growing and becoming a better player. Learned so much here...so thanks everyone.

I attended a seminar at a club in town with Corey Pavin and Kenny Perry, as a guest of one of the members.  Kenny worked at this club picking the range to get free access to the facility before he made it.  Kenny was asked "How do I hit the ball straight?" by one of them members.  Pavin took the question and asked "Why would you want to?  The greatest players in the world can't hit it straight and don't try to.  It is easier to curve the ball left or right.  Pick one and get good at it.  If you really want to be good, learn to curve it both ways.  When a PGA Professional hits it straight it is usually a mistake."

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

That line has been oft repeated and I get this but you realize when we mean straight we probably mean a consistent direction. I hit a cut. My daughter hits a little push draw. So ball ends up “straight” at her target line. She’s still trying to got it as hard and far as possible...but that’s because she likes hitting it far. Don’t we all?

I def value your opinions on length and probably makes a lot of sense for someone pushing their kid into highly competitive golf. My feeling is that real success at those levels can’t be pushed by parents, but need to come from self motivated kids...and we just need to be there to support. 

On 4/7/2021 at 11:57 AM, jj9000 said:

Flynn Alto wedges are light years ahead of USK UL and TS3 wedges.

The rest of the irons are pretty comparable.

For reference....I've owned just about every set from both companies.

I think I've got to pull the trigger on these Flynn wedges.  My son likes to hit the cut down junior shafted Mack Daddy 4 wedges I got, but they are too heavy in reality.  His TS3 SW is nice, but not great on full swings. 

@jj9000, what do you think makes them better, in your opinion?

I would also need to figure out wat weight series to get. Anyone know the head weight of the TS3-51 wedges?

1 hour ago, Evan_Par said:

I think I've got to pull the trigger on these Flynn wedges.  My son likes to hit the cut down junior shafted Mack Daddy 4 wedges I got, but they are too heavy in reality.  His TS3 SW is nice, but not great on full swings. 

@jj9000, what do you think makes them better, in your opinion?

I would also need to figure out wat weight series to get. Anyone know the head weight of the TS3-51 wedges?

Compare the Mack Daddy 4 head quality vs. USK TS3 SW head quality.

That's the difference.