What type of player are you?

20 hours ago, caeye0710 said:

For me, I'm the worst ball striking 4-5 handicap you've ever seen. My rounds typically consist of hitting 6-8 greens in regulation, but gouging the ball close to the hole with my wedges and somehow making par. I hit a ton of fairways, miss a ton of greens, and chip a ton of balls inside 5 feet (or better) and walk away thanking God. 

I'm a 5 cap as well, and I feel like I'm similar to you. According to my stats from the last 11 seasons, I am rather lousy at GIR - only 35% hit overall. However, that GIR% jumps up to 45% on par 5's. It's really par 4's where I am lousy, only 29%. 

Like you, I think I scramble pretty well. I consider myself a pretty good putter too, which helps when you're trying to save pars. But yeah, it would seem that my iron striking on approaches isn't top notch. Which is weird because I've received praise from a buddy of mine in the last few years where he's said "you hit your irons so well!". I kinda wanna say "I'm not so sure about that, the stats certainly don't agree with you." 

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2
Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For me, I'm the worst ball striking 4-5 handicap you've ever seen. My rounds typically consist of hitting 6-8 greens in regulation, but gouging the ball close to the hole with my wedges and somehow ma

I always keep the ball in play, knock it up around the green and chip and putt you to death.  No doubles, no penalties, no 3-putts.  Scores fall within a very narrow range because I don’t take big cha

A typical 400 yard par 4 for me:   A 250 yard drive in the fairway or close to it.  A 120-175 yard something to somewhere near the green, (or not) occasionally even hitting it. A c

21 hours ago, cardoustie said:

I am the opposite of Pepper

Unless it is a big stroke play event I play very aggressively for skins / birdies / eagles.  Making 16 pars and 2 bogies to shoot scratch 74 does not win cash in our club's money games.  4 birdies and and eagle .. go home with up to $250-$300

It is very hard for me to lay up on a par 5 under regular conditions

At 70yrs old, I am still aggressive in many ways, but that has nothing to do with me laying up.  Unless a Par 5 is short or there's a 3-4 club wind at my back, I can no longer reach 525+yd holes in 2.  But I never give up trying. 

A few weeks back I hit a wonderful drive on a Par 5, middle of fairway, 275yds.  Unfortunately, there's NOTHING in my bag or bones that can cover 270yds into the green.  Boohoo... Later in that same round I hit a great drive 265yds over OB on a shorter Par 5.  That one I may have been able to reach in two, but the fairway narrowed a great deal and OB on both sides and $$$ made it easier to hit a 4i to 30yds short of the green under pin, flip LW to 3' and tap in birdie and win the hole. yippee... Even though I still try, the big ones are no longer in my reach.  Course if I'd quit playing longer tees, it would be easier and scores would be even lower, but that's NOT challenging. 🙂  I hit a couple of short courses with the wife every month, and shoot even Par or a few below.  It is impressive to the wifey and others were with, but it's ho-hum for me.

• Like 1
  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1x, AVX, ProV1

Driver: 15 cap flat

Putting: +3 flat

Sand play: 8 cap dropping

Chipping; 8 cap dropping 

Hybrids and fairways: 10 cap flat

Irons / approaches / pitching ... 5-7 cap dropping

Everything on point I could be scratch or better !

All systems misfiring  ... 95 because I never really $### the bed putting.

I frequently lag putt from 30- 90 feet to within 2 feet.  I'll drain 10 and 15 footers all day sometimes.  I sometimes putt from the fairway just because I know it's as good as my best chip. 

I hit my 3i 230 off the tee.  I'll shoot 8 over with that all day.  Which is why I am playing to a 6.5 now.  

IF I was able to hit driver consistently 265-280 I would be scratch.  I play executive courses and may play 2 or 3 over.  The driver would get me back 2 strokes on each par 5.

• Like 1

Cool thread. 

I’m a 10 cap at the moment trending better. 6 months ago I was the worst 13 cap on the planet. 

Anyway, my game is weird. I have days where I can bomb it with the driver and keep it in play. I have days where I can putt. I have days where I have a good short game. And days when my irons are good. But I also have bad days with all of the above. My typical round, I look like a solid golfer on 14 holes, and I look like a complete moron for the other 4. 

I’d say on average, that I’m a poor driver of the ball, if for no other reason than the 2 or 3 or 4 holes most rounds where I drive it in trouble.  I’m longer than the average male amateur, though not super long. I’m a streaky putter. My short game and wedges are generally solid. And the big reason I went from a terrible 13 cap to a good 10 cap is that my iron game has gone from a weakness to a strength. I’ve worked HARD on getting better with the irons and that is paying off in a big way. 

• Like 1

So far this season:

~40% of fairways

~50% of greens

~50% scrambling 

Pretty boring when I look at the numbers, but can feel like a rollercoaster during the course of a round. Being completely honest, my proximity to the hole stinks. My home course forces you to play defensively a lot and I subconsciously bail out of the middle of the green more than I should. 

WITB Thread

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 7x

TSi2 16.5* / Ventus Black 8x

TSi2 21* / Ventus Red 9x

T100•s 4-9 / DG X7

SM8 46 / DG X7

SM8 50, 54, 58 / DG TI X1

Squareback 2 - One and Done - ER5

When everything is working 72-74

Average though is:

Driver 9 cap

Irons 15 cap

chipping/scrambling +4

Putting 0

So I end up missing a lot of greens but pitch/chip close and putt out.

I have had many rounds where I did not hit a green and shot 73-76.

Srixon ZX5
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made Sim2 Rescue 4,5 
Ping i210 6-PW Ping graphite
Cobra Black MIM 50, 54, 58 Nippon Tour 105
Scotty Cameron Futura X 8 Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Tp5X, Maxfli Tour

I am the kind of player that has 3 parts of their game working at the same time.   Rarely are there just 2 working and even more rare all 4.

Driving, iron game, chipping, putting

Right now the driver is going great, the irons and putting are pretty good, and the chipping is awful.  As soon as the grass grows a little and the chipping is back to pretty good, one of the other 3 will go south. 

• Like 1
On 4/7/2021 at 6:38 PM, golfgirlrobin said:

I always keep the ball in play, knock it up around the green and chip and putt you to death.  No doubles, no penalties, no 3-putts.  Scores fall within a very narrow range because I don’t take big chances and I don’t make big mistakes. Probably would bore a lot of people to play this way but I like consistency. 

I'm the exact opposite.  Love taking chances, spray the ball all over the course when my swing is off and hope and pray my short game is in good order which it usually is.  Main strength is distance.  The only thing that matters at the end of the day is score, right? 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1