The “knock down” bag

14 hours ago, extrastiff said:

So you have not really tried knockdowns with sgi is what I’m getting from that. 

I just switched to them, and have decided I love them. About to try some knockdown practice stuff on gcquad tomorrow, see if it is difficult

No i have done knockdowns with SGI clubs like Raptures - i just prefer smaller heads for firm conditions

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Fuji Ventus Red 6x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x 

Cally Apex '16 3h 20* KK Silver 80x

Cally Apex '16 4h 23* KK Silver 80x

Srixon ZX7 5i  AD DI di 95x 

Srixon ZX7 6 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD M 56* & 60*, SM2 64.07

Scotty GoLo 7

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This just seems like Phil being Phil and over thinking something.  He is talented enough that if he wanted to hit it higher, he would just hit it higher.  It is almost like trying to give yourself an

Phil is the ultimate WRXer.   That said, he actually has the skill to pull this off. I'd say there may be a handful of guys on here who actually have enough skill to do this kind of thing.

Of course.  Any decent player isn’t hitting wedges hard.    Thinking back to yesterday’s round.   I hit 2 wedges hard.  Or “ full “.    You cannot control spin taking full swipes at more loft than abo

Golf Digest had a dynamite article a couple of years back on advice from club designers.

As far as knockdowns, one designer said average golfer was better off taking one or two extra clubs into wind than trying knockdowns.

One variation: take an extra club or two, and a hit a 3/4 swing (you have to practice this a little). The 3/4 will compress the ball less, which means ball spins less and suffers less head-wind effect.

If you have a job and a family and don't play high-level competitions, probably better use of prep time to learn the one iron set.

One exception: on windy days, some players will sub out a 4-hybrid for a lower-launching longer iron as driving iron.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Sooo for last 3 months I have essentially lost my full swing and have transitioned to playing a lot of knockdown shots while working through it. Have ZX5 5-7 and ZX7 8-P, was having some problems with the larger irons through the turf and hitting some squirty ones out to the right. Put my z965 blades in on a whim and it wasn't close how much better knockdowns became, especially in the longer irons. Better through the turf and feel is much more controlled, nothing to back this up apart from better scoring though

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Caesar's shank said:

Sooo for last 3 months I have essentially lost my full swing and have transitioned to playing a lot of knockdown shots while working through it. Have ZX5 5-7 and ZX7 8-P, was having some problems with the larger irons through the turf and hitting some squirty ones out to the right. Put my z965 blades in on a whim and it wasn't close how much better knockdowns became, especially in the longer irons. Better through the turf and feel is much more controlled, nothing to back this up apart from better scoring though

YES SIR !!!

Ping G400 Max Fuji Ventus Red 6x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x 

Cally Apex '16 3h 20* KK Silver 80x

Cally Apex '16 4h 23* KK Silver 80x

Srixon ZX7 5i  AD DI di 95x 

Srixon ZX7 6 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD M 56* & 60*, SM2 64.07

Scotty GoLo 7

I am taking many different builds to test tomo.

I am able to knock down the sgi, but here is the issue.. to get it as low as other clubs( it launches a couple degrees higher) I take speed off. When I do that, it takes spin off. Which would be fine with these clubs as designed, cause the descent angle is high....unless you are knocking it down. So now I don’t think I can hold nice greens with these in the wind, in theory. 

Gonna go test all that tomorrow, as well as some high launch, high spin shafted sgi to try out some perfect day” setups. 

knock down bag, in theory: 

one length forged, 5-pw. X7 shafts. 

perfect day bag: radspeed 5-gw, some version of a 100-120 gram stiff shaft. 

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx 

Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 4,5 iron/x7 37”

Forged one length 5-pw/x7 wedge

Hi toe 54*11, 64*5/s400 wedge

Sik pro c/lagolf armlock

My "knockdown" bag is the same as my normal bag, just with a lot more whiskey in it. 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX 
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* HZRDUS T1100 95g
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 19* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

27 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

My "knockdown" bag is the same as my normal bag, just with a lot more whiskey in it. 😆

I'm backing this bag setup lol

• Haha 2

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP TOUR AXS BLU 70X
Titleist 917F3 16.5º - Grafalloy blue X
Titleist U500 18º HZDRUS Black Smoke RDX 6.5
Mizuno MP-5,  4-9 C-Taper 130
Vokey SM6 47º, 52º, 56º, 60 C-Taper
Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

3 minutes ago, The Mad Bomber said:

I'm backing this bag setup lol

Everything becomes a knockdown when you stand over the ball and see two of them. 😄

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX 
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* HZRDUS T1100 95g
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 19* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

Question for the group - do you guys not play flighted wedges into greens all the time? I'm guessing I play about, maybe 80-90% of my wedges from 150 and in with more club, less height and a good amount of spin. And the difference between that shot, and flighting an 8-iron into the wind is absolutely zero. Same shot.

The problem with trying this with a GI or even SGI iron is really simple, it's just centre of gravity. There's a reason that wedges are almost all blades and CoG is a primary design function.

I think it's been well established that workability left/right with a blade over a cavity back is a myth, right? And we can agree that at a certain skill level, the supposed forgiveness of a cavity back over a blade has no real effect on your scoring if you prefer one over the other? 

That only really leaves one thing in the physics department, and that's centre of gravity and trajectory control. You just can't hit spinny bullets with SGI's like you can with a blade. Well, maybe somebody can, but it's not me. And apparently it's not Phil either 🙂

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP TOUR AXS BLU 70X
Titleist 917F3 16.5º - Grafalloy blue X
Titleist U500 18º HZDRUS Black Smoke RDX 6.5
Mizuno MP-5,  4-9 C-Taper 130
Vokey SM6 47º, 52º, 56º, 60 C-Taper
Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

Here's a pretty good thread about it:

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 15* 3WD.             Fujikura Ventus Red 8X

Exotics CBX119 18* 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 21* 7WD                    Fujikura Ventus Red 9X
MIURA CB57 5-7                            MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-001 8-P                       MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 Prototype 1.5 Beach 34/350 (A010656)

On 4/8/2021 at 3:48 PM, Caesar's shank said:

I was off for over a year trying to shake elbow tendonitis. Decided to change irons when coming back, and after some fiddling picked up a ZX5 7i to hit. Being ever curious, I ordered a ZX7 8i, figuring if I couldn’t hit it not much lost and if I did hit it then I could blend the set. Found I hit the ZX7 8i more consistently and actually the same distance as the 7i when struck properly. Did get a ZX5 6i and hit that well (better than my hybrid) so seems my current break point if at 7i (have the zx5; ordered a zx7). Now I’m curious about a 5i. At some point my speed/contact starts to make hybrid a better choice. But seems that in short/mid iron smaller is better. Maybe it’s a concentration thing. Or confirmation bias. Or aliens...

G400Max Xtorsion 60S | F9 3W - 3H Devo 7-8S - RadSpeed 7W Motore F3R | 0211 5-6H Riptide  80R

ZX5/7 6-PW Recoil 95R | cbx2 50 Recoil 95R | Glide 56 eye2 - 58TS | Stroke Lab Double Wide

Phil’s not using 2 swings.  He’s changing clubs to achieve two flights.   This isn’t hard. At all. 

• Like 2

Titleist tsi2 10* Mitsubishi TB 70x 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

Cobra F9  7 wood 22.5 blue board 80TX 

Titleist T100 4-pw   modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 50*54*58*v grind s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

11 hours ago, The Mad Bomber said:

Question for the group - do you guys not play flighted wedges into greens all the time? I'm guessing I play about, maybe 80-90% of my wedges from 150 and in with more club, less height and a good amount of spin. And the difference between that shot, and flighting an 8-iron into the wind is absolutely zero. Same shot.

The problem with trying this with a GI or even SGI iron is really simple, it's just centre of gravity. There's a reason that wedges are almost all blades and CoG is a primary design function.

I think it's been well established that workability left/right with a blade over a cavity back is a myth, right? And we can agree that at a certain skill level, the supposed forgiveness of a cavity back over a blade has no real effect on your scoring if you prefer one over the other? 

That only really leaves one thing in the physics department, and that's centre of gravity and trajectory control. You just can't hit spinny bullets with SGI's like you can with a blade. Well, maybe somebody can, but it's not me. And apparently it's not Phil either 🙂

Of course.  Any decent player isn’t hitting wedges hard.    Thinking back to yesterday’s round.   I hit 2 wedges hard.  Or “ full “.    You cannot control spin taking full swipes at more loft than about 44 degrees.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 3

Titleist tsi2 10* Mitsubishi TB 70x 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

Cobra F9  7 wood 22.5 blue board 80TX 

Titleist T100 4-pw   modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 50*54*58*v grind s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

I think Phil does a very good job of maximizing Callaway's return on investment w/r/t the endorsement dollars they pay him. 

Every time he takes us down one of these rabbit holes it shines a little attention on a line of Callaway clubs that might not show up on Tour very often. The subtle implication is that a Tour pro *could* bag Mavrik irons...and maybe he will! Who knows? But don't sleep on those Mavrik irons, buying public!!

• Haha 1