Putter for the absolute worst putter in the world? (Hint... it’s me)

I’m the worst putter on the planet. It’s confirmed. For years I’ve tried almost every putter, stance, grip, etc.,  and I still suck rotten eggs. I hit fairways pretty regularly. Hit tons of greens. Great wedge play. Pretty good around the green. Good in the sand. Yet I still find myself putting as though I have a blindfold on and one leg. No feel for distance, at all. I’m gonna try a blade, Napa style putter. 8802, Ping Tess, that kind of thing. The forgiveness can’t be great on them. So my question is, am I setting myself up for even more head shaking, screaming at the sky agony?? Probably so, I guess...😩😂

• Like 1

Big Bertha B21 Driver 9* VeloCore Black 6X

Sim Ti 3W EvenFlow Black 75X

Sim Max 5W EvenFlow Black 75X

M4 7HL EvenFlow Blue 75X

SIM Max 6H EvenFlow Black 85X

G710 7-U Modus 105 X

PM Grind ‘19 Tour Grey 54 & 58

Ping Vault 2.0 B60 Copper

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only way to get better is using a blade so you have to focus on contact and hitting it pure.           oh wait, thought this was an iron thread...never mind.

Try something completely unconventional.    I had been taught to putt by a guy who used an 8802 and was the best putter I’ve ever seen (the only way he maintained a 2 handicap at 58 yrs old, be

You could buy my magical Queen Bee #9 I’m going to post in the classifieds. It was blessed by Mother Nature herself. You’ll either make many putts (or possibly be killed by a swarm of bees). Either wa

Posted Images

Not sure if a putter change would do much good for you for your issue.  If your only problem is distance control, then it might be more of a vision thing which affects things like depth perception, clarity, being able to see undulation, etc. for putting.  This can be fixed somewhat with corrective lenses or lasik.  Another thing is that your brain may just have trouble processing things related to depth perception in general.  I know I have an issue with this especially at night when driving.  Just food for thought. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Not sure if a putter change would do much good for you for your issue.  If your only problem is distance control, then it might be more of a vision thing which affects things like depth perception, clarity, being able to see undulation, etc. for putting.  This can be fixed somewhat with corrective lenses or lasik.  Another thing is that your brain may just have trouble processing things related to depth perception in general.  I know I have an issue with this especially at night when driving.  Just food for thought. 

My brain has certainly always been an issue😂 Oh and by the way, I hate driving at night!!!😩😂

Edited by JermWRX
Edit
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

M4 7HL EvenFlow Blue 75X

G710 7-U Modus 105 X

Whichever one makes you want to practice when you see it. Get something that you like looking at so much you can’t stand the idea of walking past without rolling a few. All the good putters I know love putting and love their stick. 

• Like 2

Titleist TS3 - Diamana ZF

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* - Diamana Kai'li

Mizuno MP Titanium 18* - Diamana Kai’li

Ping G410 22* hybrid - KBS Tour

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - KBS Tour

Vokey SM7 55M & 60L (raw) - KBS Tour

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid Slant

Lamkin Crossline Cord Midsize | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

Just now, JermWRX said:

My brain has certainly always been an issue😂

• Haha 1

M4 7HL EvenFlow Blue 75X

G710 7-U Modus 105 X

Just now, EDT501 said:

Whichever one makes you want to practice when you see it. Get something that you like looking at so much you can’t stand the idea of walking past without rolling a few. All the good putters I know love putting and love their stick. 

I love my putter now. But one thing that’s bugged me is it makes me stand closer than I want, if that makes any sense. I feel like maybe I need to be inside the ball more, and not so much over it. Putting has always felt robotic to me. Looking to maybe try something else. It can’t possibly get worse🤦🏻‍♂️😂

M4 7HL EvenFlow Blue 75X

G710 7-U Modus 105 X

15 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

I’m the worst putter on the planet. It’s confirmed. For years I’ve tried almost every putter, stance, grip, etc.,  and I still suck rotten eggs. I hit fairways pretty regularly. Hit tons of greens. Great wedge play. Pretty good around the green. Good in the sand. Yet I still find myself putting as though I have a blindfold on and one leg. No feel for distance, at all. I’m gonna try a blade, Napa style putter. 8802, Ping Tess, that kind of thing. The forgiveness can’t be great on them. So my question is, am I setting myself up for even more head shaking, screaming at the sky agony?? Probably so, I guess...😩😂

Have you tried different weight heads? Specifically have you tried going with a heavier head?

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Ventus Blue HB 8-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54: Nippon 115-S Wedge

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Just now, jvincent said:

Have you tried different weight heads? Specifically have you tried going with a heavier head?

Yes. I even tried the Tank series. Right now I have 20g weights in my Vault 2.0. The stock is 3g. I have the whole weight kit for this putter. The distance control is so so so sooooooooo bad😩😂

M4 7HL EvenFlow Blue 75X

G710 7-U Modus 105 X

1 minute ago, JermWRX said:

Yes. I even tried the Tank series. Right now I have 20g weights in my Vault 2.0. The stock is 3g. I have the whole weight kit for this putter. The distance control is so so so sooooooooo bad😩😂

Well, there's that idea out the window. I'll throw another one at you.

There's a guy at my club who I would have called one of the worst putters on the planet. I used to avert my eyes it was so bad.

Then a couple of seasons ago he's on the practice green and he's putting left handed. Stroke looks normal and when we played it was like he was a completely different person. If you haven't already tried that, give it a shot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Ventus Blue HB 8-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54: Nippon 115-S Wedge

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

1 minute ago, jvincent said:

There's a guy at my club who I would have called one of the worst putters on the planet. I used to avert my eyes it was so bad.

Then a couple of seasons ago he's on the practice green and he's putting left handed. Stroke looks normal and when we played it was like he was a completely different person. If you haven't already tried that, give it a shot.

I’m not gonna lie. I’ve tried this in my basement green this winter. It feels comfortable. I’ve honestly thought about it. I was just rolling balls with a 5 iron. It feels ok. Boy, oh boy would my buddies bust my balls if I showed up putting lefty😂

M4 7HL EvenFlow Blue 75X

G710 7-U Modus 105 X

1 minute ago, JDCON said:

But really, have you tried a broomstick?

I had the putter I have now “built” at my local shop to broomstick, but I don’t think it was right. They did their best. It didn’t work, but I gotta be honest, it didn’t feel bad. Maybe just not the right head to do it with. I’ve had it reshafted to standard. I’ve been looking for an odyssey broomstick or an old B90i center shafted. 

M4 7HL EvenFlow Blue 75X

G710 7-U Modus 105 X

2 minutes ago, jomatty said:

Time for an armlock!  Or a lab.  

Tried armlock. I might as well been putting with my feet😩😂

M4 7HL EvenFlow Blue 75X

G710 7-U Modus 105 X

8 minutes ago, JDCON said:

You could buy my magical Queen Bee #9 I’m going to post in the classifieds. It was blessed by Mother Nature herself. You’ll either make many putts (or possibly be killed by a swarm of bees). Either way, it’ll fix your putting problem!

4534695A-CD59-423C-A8A1-50E4731A552A.jpeg

Did you glue that bumblebee to your headcover, or did you just get that lucky????🤷🏻‍♂️😂😂

• Like 1

M4 7HL EvenFlow Blue 75X

G710 7-U Modus 105 X

8 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

I’m not gonna lie. I’ve tried this in my basement green this winter. It feels comfortable. I’ve honestly thought about it. I was just rolling balls with a 5 iron. It feels ok. Boy, oh boy would my buddies bust my balls if I showed up putting lefty😂

My putting Is gradually improving.  My wife and playing partners used to make fun of me because I was as good or better putting with my wedge or the back of the putter left handed.  It turned out it was a cross dominant eye thing and once I figured that out I was able to figure out how to see the line more accurately and develop a little confidence.  Mike Malaska had a good video about figuring out your stance and eye line to accurately see the line.  
It’s hard for me to imagine an 8802 style putter helping anyone, much less an admittedly bad putter, but who knows.  Especially if distance control is an issue, I would not want something like that personally...

Edited by jomatty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, JermWRX said:

I had the putter I have now “built” at my local shop to broomstick, but I don’t think it was right. They did their best. It didn’t work, but I gotta be honest, it didn’t feel bad. Maybe just not the right head to do it with. I’ve had it reshafted to standard. I’ve been looking for an odyssey broomstick or an old B90i center shafted. 

I’ve always been a good putter, but when I went broomstick I became a lights out putter. The anchoring ban did nothing to negatively affect long putter putting. I just ordered a Lab Golf DF 2.1 Broomstick with the BGT Stability shaft.

Try a long putter that isn’t a hack up imitation. Get one that was made to be a long putter. The lie angle and weight demand it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, JDCON said:

I’ve always been a good putter, but when I went broomstick I became a lights out putter. The anchoring ban did nothing to negatively affect long putter putting. I just ordered a Lab Golf DF 2.1 Broomstick with the BGT Stability shaft.

Try a long putter that isn’t a hack up imitation. Get one that was made to be a long putter. The lie angle and weight demand it.

So without jumping to a $600 putter at a whim, would you consider an older B90 a legit starting point, or do you think the tech has changed enough to where I should just jump in? They’re generally 47-50” and the head weight is 475g, I believe. 

M4 7HL EvenFlow Blue 75X

G710 7-U Modus 105 X

I would suggest going to a large golf store and just trying every putter they have. Over the past 15 years I have always been on and off with putters. Just last year I finally bought a wide blade (sc squareback 2) and the putting just clicked. I never wanted to play a blade putter and have a straight back straight through putt stroke. I naturally always went to face balanced mallets.  For some reason my Squareback 2 is exactly perfect for me.  In fact I have have acquired quite the putter collection and even ended up having a couple golf buddies try my putters and they found exactly what clicked with them. One guy putted so bad you just had to not watch him putt. I had a TM Ardmore 3 laying around and it absolutely changed his putting. The guy is on fire with it. Another friend conned me out of my Bettinardi Kuchar Model 1. He always putted decent but he rarely misses with that putter now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, jvincent said:

I have considered trying right just so I could rock a fake Scotty. 🤣

But seriously, I'm right handed, I just taught myself to switch hit in baseball and it transferred to golf.

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

7 minutes ago, Unteachable said:

Have you tried a center shaft putter?

Are you left or right eye dominant?

Right eye dominant. Tried an OWorks R Line CS for awhile. It hated me🤦🏻‍♂️😂

M4 7HL EvenFlow Blue 75X

G710 7-U Modus 105 X

For me it's all about stroke. Get a putting mirror and a mat with distance on it. Work on a consistent stroke with different backstrokes for different distance. Then focus just a few feet in front of you as your target.

If you know how far and you can get a decent read, aim, find your target and let it rip. Worst case you get it within 2 feet and that's a tap.

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

I used to be a terrible putter, not so much distance control but really inaccurate inside of 10 feet. I went really upright with my putter and short, and I have been much more accurate inside of 10 feet. I still need to improve on my lagging of longer putts, but I feel a lot better about leaving myself a 3-4 footer.

So maybe a putter fitting would be beneficial. 

Ping G425 9 Evenflow Black

TM Original One Mini 13.5 Diamana F / Callaway xHot 3Deep Stock 6.5

Callaway Apex('19) 20 Catalyst / Callaway Apex('21) 20 Catalyst

Callaway xForged UT 24

Sub 70 649 5-P KBS $-Taper Lite

Callaway MD4 50s, 54c, 58s S200-S400

Happy Prototype