2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Putter for the absolute worst putter in the world? (Hint... it’s me)

JermWRX

2 hours ago, dhacker56 said:

You need to find out what kind of stroke you have? 

THIS!

I used a BeCu B60, similar to the OP's putter, and hit everything left with it. Same with Anser type putters. Don't work for me for some reason.

I have an arc stroke, and found out I putt better with heel-shafted putters. Now, Wilson 8802-type putters are cool to putt with, and fun, but I find TM TPA XVIII type putters easier. I currently use an Odyssey #9.

@JermWRX

Above all, find your stroke style. For example, if you're straight-back, straight-through, try a face-balanced putter, perhaps. Arc-stroke, may be try a heel shafted putter?

That said, it seems distance control is more your problem. I practice distance control using a light putter (Bullseye). Gives me a feel for distance.

However, I might be in the running for the title of absolute worst putter in the world😅. My distance control is good on long putts, but every other part of my putting game is wretched. I can't read greens at all. I play for break when there isn't any, or aim straight at the hole only to see the ball roll four foot off to the right.

3 hours ago, BlueDragonKorea said:

How bad are we talking? What’s your handicap?

sounds like putting is his handicap

I’ll be here all week. Try the veal and don’t forget to tip your server!

ok, on a serious note, agree that part of it is figuring out your stroke but at the end of the day, my putting results were usually correlated with how much I was practicing putting. When I was young and spent hours doing it, I was using the equivalent of a blade (bullseye style putter). But I also wasn’t very quiet with my hands back then, it was all repetitive feel. These days I’m more deliberate with my stroke.

Edited by nostatic
  • Haha 2

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

Have you tried using a counter weight in your putter?  For some people it works well to have a heavy overall putter with normal-ish swing weight by going with a heavy head and counter weight.  I've got a 375g putter head and use the 80g counter weight.  Testing out an odyssey stroke lab would be a way to see if you like the overall feel and if you want to try it with your own putter you can get what you need from TourLock Golf.

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

Jack Nicklaus shared a remarkable insight for distance control... he'd putt his ball 1/3 of the way to the hole and let it roll the rest of the way there.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

I'm loving my LAB 2.1 putter and have never had something this easy to use. Giant head. Loads of MOI. I never feel like I mis-hit it, so all I have to think about speed. 

But if you walk up to the green convinced that you're the worst putter in the world, you're toast not matter what club you use. It's true that good putting breeds confidence, but it's even more true that confidence breeds good putting.

• Like 4

Titleist TSR 1w Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TSR 3w Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR 5w Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR 4h Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T150 4i-6i X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

11 hours ago, JermWRX said:

I’m the worst putter on the planet. It’s confirmed. For years I’ve tried almost every putter, stance, grip, etc.,  and I still suck rotten eggs. I hit fairways pretty regularly. Hit tons of greens. Great wedge play. Pretty good around the green. Good in the sand. Yet I still find myself putting as though I have a blindfold on and one leg. No feel for distance, at all. I’m gonna try a blade, Napa style putter. 8802, Ping Tess, that kind of thing. The forgiveness can’t be great on them. So my question is, am I setting myself up for even more head shaking, screaming at the sky agony?? Probably so, I guess...😩😂

I like the idea of using a blade style putter. All the trick grip odd shape putters and what not to me say that the person has no confidence in their putting. Use the blade and practice making a ton of 2' putts till they seem automatic, then do the same with 3' er's  till you feel like you will make everything.

I had the same problem 15 years ago and went through 5-6 putters one summer. Go on-line and purchase Dave Pelz's "Putting Bible" and spend some time perusing the pages as you see fit. Find a putter that fits your profile (for me it was a Yes Tracy II) and practice with it at home and on practice greens as much as you can. (on course training leaves too many negative memories). I've had the same putter for 15 years and have never looked back. I probably saved $1,000's since then on putters...Best of luck!

• Thanks 1

I second the LAB golf putters. I strongly suggest giving this thread a read: 

You do not have to read through all 51 pages though 😉 Some real gems in there. I was hesitating a long time before dropping that amount of money on a putter I have never tried myself but finally pulled the trigger. Have not received the putter yet, but you will find a lot of experience from different users in that thread (and that seems to be what you are looking for).

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

As mentioned above, go get a putter fitting on a SAM lab or something similar.  Really helped me tremendously.  Money well spent.  

• Thanks 1

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

Also this.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

14 hours ago, JermWRX said:

I’m the worst putter on the planet. It’s confirmed. For years I’ve tried almost every putter, stance, grip, etc.,  and I still suck rotten eggs. I hit fairways pretty regularly. Hit tons of greens. Great wedge play. Pretty good around the green. Good in the sand. Yet I still find myself putting as though I have a blindfold on and one leg. No feel for distance, at all. I’m gonna try a blade, Napa style putter. 8802, Ping Tess, that kind of thing. The forgiveness can’t be great on them. So my question is, am I setting myself up for even more head shaking, screaming at the sky agony?? Probably so, I guess...😩😂

so my son went through a stage where he lost his competitive confidence putting, and it was mostly around speed. He fixed it by measuring the putts instead of feeling them.  What I mean is, create a repeatable system that allows you to measure distance instead of feeling it.  For example, measure “1” clubhead, “2” clubheads, “3 clubheads” in your backswing and stroke the ball.  Walk off how many paces each of those travel on a flat practice green.  You essentially create a matrix of repeatable stroke lengths that go X paces.  For example, 1 clubhead is 3 paces, 2 clubheads 5 paces, 3 clubheads is 7 paces.  The matrix will be different on any given day, on different speed greens, etc.  so you need to do it each day, but over time you end up building a pretty good “idea” of the matrix relative to green speed.  So for example, if You know the green is running 11, you pretty much know within a pace or 2 what the numbers should be from the past.  He adds in 2 different putter tempo speeds, “normal” and “hard”, that match his perception of a standard tempo and a quick tempo.  Adding those 2 stroke types just gives him more options for in-between distances, since he can easily repeat both tempos at will.

Now, on the course, you pace off each putt, and then adjust for uphill/downhill and come up with a final “plays as” pace number.  So 8 paces for example, then you go to the chart you made on the putting green and repeat the stroke length for 8 paces.  For example, it could be a standard “2 clubhead” stroke, or maybe a 1 clubhead “hard”.  Whatever it matches to, he uses that stroke length and tempo.  It’s pretty amazing how good it turns his distance control and improves his confidence, because he doesn’t feel like he’s “guessing” the speed.

Might be worth a try.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd echo a couple of the other comments in here and get fit. I did an Edel putter fitting awhile back and it helped my putting game quite a bit. I really like their approach based on how the brain and eye impact your aiming of the putter based on the type of head and alignment aids (lines, dots, nothing, etc). They also play with weighting to dial in speed control, which is arguably the most important piece of putting. While the putter isn't cheap, I think it's worth it if you're serious about the game. 

A putting clinic or lesson is worth it too. 

It's all about confidence. Since you have so many questions surrounding your putting game, eliminate those uncertainties of not knowing if the putter you have is right for you, and if you're using the right technique. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

17 hours ago, JermWRX said:

I have struggled a lot with 3 putts until recently. I have come to realize oversized grips do not help my putting and that I need a heavy putter with a heavy swing weight. It is important to know that one does not equal the other. You can have a 400g putter head, but if you throw a heavy oversized grip on it, the putter can still "swing" light.

I have had great results lately by going back to a regular size pistol grip with a heavy putter with an e6 swing weight.

Maybe you can start with finding a heavy putter with a high swing weight and see if that helps...then try to find the right grip to match your swing with it.

• Thanks 1

Get fitted & practice more.

I need a 35 1/2 inch putter to see the line correctly. I also do not square the putter up with oversize grips. Most OTR putters stop at 35". Point being, get fit and use what works for you not what you think might work for you.

• Like 1

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

2 hours ago, rsballer10 said:

Get fitted & practice more.

I need a 35 1/2 inch putter to see the line correctly. I also do not square the putter up with oversize grips. Most OTR putters stop at 35". Point being, get fit and use what works for you not what you think might work for you.

If I practice more I’ll wear out my mat😂 I roll at least 100 putts just about every night in my basement

I like the "think outside the box" approach of @Drivingrangehero.  For me, I like the look of a big clubhead - got a Cure putter that fits my eye.

I found that if I just make a pretty looking stroke, I putt better!   Something that would be the smooth envy of others 😊.  It's weird because thinking "smooth stroke, solid strike" seems better for me than focusing so hard on line or speed.  I'll let my visual instinct judge my speed.  Then "it is what it is" whatever happens.  When I forget to look pretty I putt worse 👸!

I was always too robotic and stabby trying to judge distance by length of backswing or trying SBST.  A SeeMore putter helped me find a stroke I liked - Zach Johnson and Rickie in my mind.  No Phil-like forward press or hands leading clubhead for me, just a simple pendulum almost as if using a belly putter.

Heck... maybe just chip from long range or putt with eyes closed.  I'll probably see more chips hitting the pin/cup than putts.  Eyes definitely don't have to be directly over the ball for line accuracy.  As they say "you do you".

Edited by joostin
  • Thanks 1

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

1 hour ago, joostin said:

I like the "think outside the box" approach of @Drivingrangehero.  For me, I like the look of a big clubhead - got a Cure putter that fits my eye.

I found that if I just make a pretty looking stroke, I putt better!   Something that would be the smooth envy of others 😊.  It's weird because thinking "smooth stroke, solid strike" seems better for me than focusing so hard on line or speed.  I'll let my visual instinct judge my speed.  Then "it is what it is" whatever happens.  When I forget to look pretty I putt worse 👸!

I was always too robotic and stabby trying to judge distance by length of backswing or trying SBST.  A SeeMore putter helped me find a stroke I liked - Zach Johnson and Rickie in my mind.  No Phil-like forward press or hands leading clubhead for me, just a simple pendulum almost as if using a belly putter.

Heck... maybe just chip from long range or putt with eyes closed.  I'll probably see more chips hitting the pin/cup than putts.  Eyes definitely don't have to be directly over the ball for line accuracy.  As they say "you do you".

I’ve tried putting with eyes closed😂 Wasn’t any worse. I’ve always been robotic. I hate it. I constantly think about how far back to bring the putter, shoulders square, perfect stance, eye over the ball, rock the shoulders, etc etc etc... I’ve always looked at putting as a statuesque math equation.  I’ve gotta find a way out of that, I think. I just feel like a dead lump of weight slapping a ball. No feel whatsoever 

Not sure where you are located, but if you are driving distance from Nashville, go to seemore and get fit... best $150 I’ve ever spent...

putter was another $350.

i had massive distance control issues and they seemed to be getting worse. I hated being on the green. I hated 5 foot birdie putts...

ive spent a ton of time on my tempo and practicing rolling balls the same distance... the seemore putter takes alignment out of the equation... it’s honestly one of the best things I’ve ever done for my game.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Just now, Myherobobhope said:

Not sure where you are located, but if you are driving distance from Nashville, go to seemore and get fit... best $150 I’ve ever spent...

putter was another $350.

i had massive distance control issues and they seemed to be getting worse. I hated being on the green. I hated 5 foot birdie putts...

ive spent a ton of time on my tempo and practicing rolling balls the same distance... the seemore putter takes alignment out of the equation... it’s honestly one of the best things I’ve ever done for my game.

If I hitched up the camper I’d be driving distance😂 I’m in MA (worst state in the country, by the way). But I’m always up to drop on the 5th wheel and take a trip😀

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 6:19 PM, JermWRX said:

Taylormade Spider putters are stupid easy to stroke imo - I prefer heel shafted putters though.

Edited by Buzzkill
  • Thanks 1

Handicap:  3

10 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

If I hitched up the camper I’d be driving distance😂 I’m in MA (worst state in the country, by the way). But I’m always up to drop on the 5th wheel and take a trip😀

It’s worth it... though you can also just buy their tempo mat for $30... it’s insanely helpful and doesn’t require a ball to practice.

my distance control was all tempo related, though... get on a SAM if you can.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I can probably top you as worst putter. I’m the king of 3 putting inside 10 feet. Ive played many putters over the past 5 years. Last year I put the Spider S in my bag and it’s been a game changer. I have better distance control and accuracy with this thing for some reason. I can confirm this on my Big Moss putting green when I would switch out putters on the same hole. It just works for me. YMMV. 

• Thanks 1

I'm going to have to agree with a few others and suggest you try the Lab Golf Directed Force 2.1.  I big reason is that the balance of the putter and high MOI makes it tough to make a "bad stroke".  This frees you up to loosen your grip a little and spend almost all your focus on distance control instead of the stroke itself.  It sounds like distance control is a big issue with you.  It's "different", it will take some getting used to.  There are several videos out there on youtube with suggestions on how you should tweak things to work best with the DF 2.1.  "Different" may be exactly what you need though.

There are a few downsides to this putter though.  First, I won't lie, it's ugly.  I don't mind so much, but if you are one of those golfers that has to love what you are looking at regardless of performance, this one may not work for you. Second, due to the length of the putter blade, it is very important to get the lie angle right with this putter, it needs to "fit" you.  Third, cost of entry is pretty high relative to most putters, especially if you don't fit into one of their stock configurations and need to go custom (and if you need to go custom you will wait 2-4 weeks for the build plus shipping time). 

I ended up doing my own measurements for the initial fitting because I didn't trust the video process (but apparently the video process is actually very good so you should probably start there).  I ended up getting a used one off ebay to those initial specs.  I got the length perfect but missed slightly on the lie angle and I hated the grip (the smaller OG one).  Initially I didn't love the putter, it took some getting used to, but I liked the way it felt.  So, I re-sold the putter for close to what I paid for it (I was out fees and shipping of course, but not too bad for a "rental").

I ended up getting another eBay one used with my adjusted specs.  I nailed it the second time.  The length and lie angle are perfect for me and the larger press grip is so much better for me.  While this one fits me perfectly, it's not the shaft or the alignment mark I would choose.   Eventually, I'll order a new one to correct that.  

Obviously this isn't the ideal process, but it works and ultimately I won't be out of pocket much extra $$ to get it exactly right.  Certainly not near as much $$ as ordering new and missing on the initial specs.  So, if you want to try one of these putters, but the fitting or the initial cost new would hold you back, this is a way for you to try it without as much risk.

The DF 2.1 is in my bag, it's a keeper.  I'm a low handicap and have always been a good putter inside 10 ft.  However, I don't make "my share" of putts outside 10 ft.  For whatever reason, the harder I swing the putter, the more off-line I get.  The DF 2.1 has really helped with that and now I find I'm hitting my lines on my longer putts more consistently and that allows me to put more focus on distance control.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My boss used to 3 jack every green he stepped on.  He went from his Scotty blade to one of the TM counter balance Spider models and rolls it beautiful now.  If you’re struggling bigger might be better.  Putting is 90% confidence and 10% all the other shish.  If you believe it’s going in it really helps.  If your knees are knocking probably not good.   

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Ping G425   7 - SW   KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

I would recommend getting a putting lesson combined with a fitting.

Like forever, the advice for those with putting problems was, "be patient, you will find that putter eventually." But the last decade has yielded lots of advances in putter fitting and understanding of putting, and drills.

One thing is the eyes. People looking sideways at the ball on the green don't always see the same angles. A lesson to find your dominant eye, and to increase efficiency of your natural stroke, can do wonders for your putting.

From there, understanding your eyes and stroke can help the fitter match you with the best putter for you. A good fitter (ask around to find one!) can bring you farther in one afternoon than you can bring yourself - hit and miss - in a full season.

A few years back a I won a putter tune-up. I was using a vintage Ping Pal at the time: the fitter raised putter loft 1*, add 3 grams of lead tape to the head, trimmed an inch off the shaft, and gave me a thicker grip. It worked well for several seasons. (Went with Sigma G when I made set-up changes).

• Thanks 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |