Who has moved away from their driving iron?

Trying to figure out my bag for this year and the club(s) between 5 iron and 3 wood always throws me for a loop. I currently go 5 iron, 3 hybrid (19 degree), 2 iron (18 degree) then 3 wood. The hybrid and 2 iron fly the same distance but are for different things so there’s a gap I need to address. Curious if others have had this same issue and what you ended up going to as a setup. I’m thinking I should go 3 wood, 5 wood, 4 hybrid (21 degree-ish) then 5 iron. Won’t have that club for stingers or fairway finders but would have versatility and yardages covered. Just wondering what others have done! 

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 9 degree with Fujikura Ventus 7X
3 wood: Cobra F9 with Fuji Atmos Black Tour Spec 7x
Hybrid: Mizuno CLK 19 with Fuji Atmos Tour Spec 9X
Irons: New Level 902 5-PW with DG X100, New Level NLU-01 driving iron Hzrdous Smoke 100 6.5
Wedges: New Level M type 50-55-60 
Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy 35"
Ball: Snell MTBX / Srixon Z Star XV

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A DI is fun to hit off the tee, but it just can’t hold a candle to a hybrid in all areas.  Find one that works and get good at making shots with it.    I sometimes miss my 16.5 2i, but fee

I messed around with a Srixon U85 20* last year, but it was a failed experiment.  Hybrids have always gone left for me, so I thought a DI would be the solution. What I found was that it was difficult

I really think you need both (not in the bag - just depending on course and swing tendencies)    My bag may be trending towards D/4wood/3DI/4i this year though.

Higher SS here. So driving iron all day. Did like the hybrid I had (g410) but went to high for me. Mostly a tee club for me so driving iron is in 

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim2 (9*) Fuji ventus black 6x
Titleist TS3 18* fuji ventus black 8x 

Taylormade P790 3 iron. Aldila RIP 105x 
Taylormade p750 4-PW PX6.5 
Cleveland RTX4 50/54/58 s400 TI
Oddessey 7CS Tour 

Anti 4 iron?  How often do you find yourself needing to hit a shot in that gap range that you have between the Di/hybrid and 5 iron?  

I put in an I500 4i (21* std loft) in place of my I210 4i (22.5* std loft) to get me a little more height and gap closer to my 3h (19*).  So while I did create a bit more of a gap between my stronger 4i and 5i (26* std), I rarely ever found myself at that yardage, and if so, I'm not pin seeking from 205+.  I'm happy with on or around the green from that distance out as it was basically only ever on 2nd shots into par 5's and the rare par 3 if I'm out at a different course than my usual rotation.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Hzrdus Black RDX 60 6.5

Titleist TS2 16.5* w/ Fuji Pro 2.0 7X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ Tensei Raw AV Blue X

Nike VR Pro Combo 4-PW w/ PX 6.0

Nike VR Forged 51/55/59 w/ TI S400

Odyssey Strokelab 2-Ball 33"

I have a 19 degree hybrid and a 22 degree utility iron... hybrid goes farther, but the four utility fills the gap between it and 5 iron... 

functional as a 4 iron and a driving iron... I lose some distance when into the wind, but not a ton. 

It covers a number of gaps for me in both distance and shot making.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As of 1/24/21

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with RipX

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-GW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I’m currently moving away from Driving iron, and the new setup will be 3w, 5w (instead of 3 DI), 4h, 5h. I’ve got 105 swing speed, so speed wasn’t really an issue, but I (personally) had issues with it when I wasn’t on a tee. For some people, the look of a long iron just works better, but I get more versatility from something else. 

• Like 1

For you I think the D 3W 4H 5I, with 5W or 2I switching in/out per course conditions, may make sense.

For me I've gone rogue on top end setup haha:

Was D 5W 3I 4I (utility) 5I

Now D 3W 5W 3I 4H 6I

Will try D1 D2 5W 3I 4H 6I

Or D1 D2 5W 4H 5I

Edited by joostin
  • Like 1

D Adams XTD, 70M4X 3W TEE CBX, HZBk75S 5W Titleist 915F, D+80X

3I Srixon Z 545 4H Adams S 9031 6I-PW Mizuno MP-54, C Taper Lite X

GW Nike VPC, Tour V X 54 60 Cleveland CBX, DG S300 Cure CX3

I would not play both a DI and a HY. The flight is too similar.

I am also not a fan of 'wasting' a spot in the bag for something if its not necessary to do so; so I replaced my 4i with a DI in a similar loft.

• Like 2

Epic Max LS + Pro 2.0 Tour Spec / TS2 3W + Diamana Thump75 / TS2 7W + Diamana B / GAPR Lo 4 + MMT UT 105  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas + SuperStroke Cord 2.0

I have both UDI and hybrid.  16* hybrid and 21* UDI to be exact.  There's about a 15 yard gap between both so it works out for me.  The 2 hybrid tends to launch higher and carry more compared to the UDI.  Lands softer as well.  I usually use my UDI from 230 in and works great when it gets windy. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

I just sold my Z U85 Driving Iron (20*) and am going to try a P790 4-iron (21*) in that spot instead. Just found the Driving Iron too difficult to hit off the turf, and was a one-trick pony as a Tee club.

So the top of my bag will be: D, 3W, 3H (19*), and 4i (21*)

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik (10.5*) / Tensei AV Blue 65

Callaway Mavrik (15*) / Rogue White 130 M.S.I. 70

Srixon Z H85 (19*) / Hzrdus Black 6.0 85

TaylorMade P790 (4), (5-PW Coming soon...)

Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50-54-58 Mid) / Dynamic Gold Spinner

TaylorMade SOTO Tour Preferred (36")

🇨🇦

I've replaced mine with a 7 wood this year. I love my driving iron but the 7 wood just makes way more sense for me. I definitely miss having the option of it off the tee, but im working on reliable fairway finder with my 4 and 7 wood

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 9.5* w/ Tour AD HD 6x

Titleist TSi3 4 Wood w/ Ventus Red 7x 

Titleist TSi2 7 Wood w/ Ventus Red 9x 

PXG 0311x Gen2 3 Iron w/ Tour AD DI 85x

4-PW Callaway X Forged CB w/ KBS $ Taper 

50* Callaway Jaws Raw

56* Miura K Grind 2.0

62* Miura HB / Taylormade MG Hi Toe 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11 / Taylormade MyTP Juno

I messed around with a Srixon U85 20* last year, but it was a failed experiment.  Hybrids have always gone left for me, so I thought a DI would be the solution. What I found was that it was difficult to hit into greens, impossible from the rough and penalizing on mishits.  After I tried a G410 22* hybrid set to flat and open, I realized what all the fuss was about with hybrids.  It is stupid easy to hit, can hold greens, comes out of the rough nicely and doesn't want to go left.  The kicker is that at my home course there are two par 3s in the 220 range that the hybrid is perfect for while the DI would run through the green into trouble.  For me, a well fit hybrid is superior in every way to a DI.

• Like 4

Callaway Epic Max 9* w/ Mitsubishi MMT 60S

Titleist 917 F2 16.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 70S

Ping G410 Hybrid 22* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Srixon z585 4I w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Srixon z785 5-P w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 50*, 54*, 58* w/ DG Tour Issue S400

Taylormade Spider X Slant Neck

Titleist Pro V1x

I was playing a PXG 0311 DI, didn't quite have the height I wanted but the distance was about right.  Recently picked up a 425 19* and the height I get is what I am looking for but the distance is more than I need... absolute cannon.  I may look for a 425 22*.  I tend to hit the DI much more accurately but not as high. I don't have a super fast SS so a hybrid may be a better fit once I find the right one, I just dont like the unexpected snap hook I get.

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST 10.5* Aldila Rogue silver 70s

Ping G425 Max 14.5* Alta CB 65x

Ping G410 22* Tensei Blue 80s

Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P PX LZ 6.5

Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 52, 56, 60 AWT 

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne stealth

I was just looking at a Taylormade GAPR Hi 22*. I will wait and see where my yardages are with my 4 iron with the new shafts first. But I have a spot and think it might be a cool option.

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 driver

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Lazrus 3 18* Hybrid 

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 2-6

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

Does anyone who moved away from the DI use a hybrid off the tee at all? I will say back when I was playing more competitions my tee club was 3 wood but now I’m playing more recreational golf and member tourneys they’re almost always from the white tees so I don’t need the 3 wood as much and can get away scraping it around with a 245-250 carry. Just never tried the hybrid off the tee. That’s kind of why I’m thinking driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, 4 hybrid, then 5 iron. 5 wood would be my new club tee which should help for versatility and gapping. Man I wish we could have 15 clubs! 

Irons: New Level 902 5-PW with DG X100, New Level NLU-01 driving iron Hzrdous Smoke 100 6.5

I have no problem hitting my 22* hybrid (set to 21*) off of the tee.  I’m not hitting low bullets in the wind with it, but I can hit those with my 4 wood.  I generally don’t club down for accuracy off of the tee though.  I will only take less club when I want to keep the ball short of a dogleg, hazard or fairway “pinch” so it doesn’t come up much.  I usually get around my home course hitting Driver 10x and 4 wood 4x.  

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Max 9* w/ Mitsubishi MMT 60S

Titleist 917 F2 16.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 70S

Ping G410 Hybrid 22* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Srixon z585 4I w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Srixon z785 5-P w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 50*, 54*, 58* w/ DG Tour Issue S400

Taylormade Spider X Slant Neck

Titleist Pro V1x

I hit my 18* Lazrus hybrid off of the tee. I tee it low like I do for my irons and hit it like it's a perfect lie. Hole 5 is a very narrow gap off the tee with a pond on the left (where my miss goes). The hybrid is most reliable for that hole, but I hit different things all the time.

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 driver

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Lazrus 3 18* Hybrid 

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 2-6

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

No way! Thursday afternoon I used my Titleist U510 - 3 iron for a second shot on a par 5 from 195 yds. to 2” for a tap in eagle. This was one of those shots that will be recalled any time I need some extra confidence. From the moment I hit it, it never left the flag. It must have either hit the stick or just lipped out. Apologies for the humble brag.

Also, have been using my 3 & 4 utility iron for teeing off on short par 4’s, laying up on par 5’s and tee shots on long par 3’s. 

Won’t be leaving the bag anytime soon. 

BTW, I don’t own any hybrids.

Edited by brutus27
7 hours ago, bryanwmilburn said:

Does anyone who moved away from the DI use a hybrid off the tee at all?

Absolutely! If the hole allows/demands it, I hit my 19 deg 3H, it’s just so easy to get the ball down the middle with it. 

My 16 deg 2H is my 3W substitute, and goes long enough for the purpose. Speaking of length, it has a shorter shaft than my 3W and that’s part of the reason I miss less often with it. 

Also, and that was an eye opener for me, I can easily hit my hybrids low into the wind, which is usually the main argument for a Driving Iron. But the DI is hard to hit high if I want a long approach to stop quickly. It’s just the wrong instrument in my high handicap hands. 

• Like 1

I have done the opposite and have moved away from my hybrids - now I have a 16 degree driving iron as the only club between my driver and 3 iron. I used to have a couple of hybrids (18 and 22 degrees) but didn't use them much, probably because the shafts didn't suit me. The driving iron and an extra wedge suit my length and style of play.

At my home course, I can't think of where I might use a 3 or 5 wood - I generally don't have more than a 5 iron in on the longest par 5, from a well-struck tee shot. Maybe off a couple of par 4 tees, but I use a 5 iron or my utility there anyway and I'm not sure what advantage a fairway wood would give me. The utility works well for me around longer courses, both from tee and fairway.

Edited by steventoo
  • Like 1

I think the key thing with a driving/utility iron is - 1) finding the right head and loft,  2) finding the right shaft

I have been using a Callaway X Forged UT(prior generation) with 21 degrees loft, and actually use the same shaft I have in my irons PX 6.0. I can keep spin and height down off tee if I need to, but with the head design and 21 degrees of loft it acts like a juiced up long iron with control into a green. I have a 18 degree head that I’m going to pair with a graphite shaft, should be a fun experiment.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* w/GD Tour AD TP 7x

Callaway Apex hybrid 18* w/GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Callaway X Forged UT 21* w/PX6.0

Callaway X Forged 5-PW w/PX6.0

Titleist SM8 50 F, 54 S, 58 S w/PX6.0

Toulon Austin w/Stability Tour shaft

Srixon Z Star XV 

Now that I’m thinking it out - it almost sounds like I could just swap out the 18 degree for something like a 21 or 22 degree and have close to the same effect but better gapping. It’d be 275 carry 3w, 245 carry 18 degree hybrid, probably 230 carry 4 DI, then 215 carry 5 iron. That seems like it makes much more sense and would still give me an iron to hit off the tee but probably more versatile into greens with extra loft (it’s a New Level NLU-01). Lots of options and great feedback in this thread! 

2 hours ago, bryanwmilburn said:

Now that I’m thinking it out - it almost sounds like I could just swap out the 18 degree for something like a 21 or 22 degree and have close to the same effect but better gapping. It’d be 275 carry 3w, 245 carry 18 degree hybrid, probably 230 carry 4 DI, then 215 carry 5 iron. That seems like it makes much more sense and would still give me an iron to hit off the tee but probably more versatile into greens with extra loft (it’s a New Level NLU-01). Lots of options and great feedback in this thread! 

Thats the move. Lots of pros are switching to chunky 4 irons and/or DIs in the 4i spot for the same purpose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Epic Max LS + Pro 2.0 Tour Spec / TS2 3W + Diamana Thump75 / TS2 7W + Diamana B / GAPR Lo 4 + MMT UT 105  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas + SuperStroke Cord 2.0

I marry a new 2-iron every spring and usually divorce it later in the year in exchange for something more versatile. 

My solution this year is to sandwich a 7-wood between my 4i and 2i so that I can keep the deuce in the bag but still have a club I can use for high approach shots and getting out of rough and difficult lies.

This means giving up a wedge, but I've still got 3 and that works OK. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 1w Ventus Blue

Ping G425 LST 3w Ventus Blue

Mizuno Hmb 2i 4i Ventus Blue

Mizuno MP20 5i-Pi Modus 120

Mizuno T20 50 54 58 DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 || Titleist Pro V1

It depends on how you tackle a course and yardage.  Any given week, on tour WITB varies depending on the course yardage and conditions.  As courses change long irons go into the bag replacing hybrids, woods, or visa versa.  The public isn't likely to hear about that though. 

I play a lot of different courses under varied conditions, and been doing that comfortably with D, (3wd or 4wd), 2i - PW, SW, LW and putter. 

My thought is people need to be more creative with how they use each of their clubs.  Sometimes a simple shaft profile change in a certain club is a better decision than putting a new lofted club in the bag, as loft is NOT always the best decision.  Enhancing skill is better.

I play traditionally lofted irons with 4' then 3' gaps SW though 17' 2i.  Those gaps flow nicely and easily covered by knowing I have 3 distances per club; NOT one.  Each iron has a stock yardage, plus 12yds short and 12yrs long, so gaps are essentially nonexistent.  Phil Michelson has a similar approach to gaps.

• Like 2
  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1x, AVX, ProV1