Ocean City, MD Golf recently

I am planning to go to Ocean City, MD in two weeks.  I have played there before at Lighthouse, Rum Pointe, and River Run.  Will play Lighthouse when down there, but looking for other spots to play.  There are lots of courses there and I know that many are recommended but looking for input from recent plays on conditions.

I was thinking of hitting Heritage Shores on the way down (will be in Wilmington, DE area) playing Lighthouse on way back.  Looking at someplace to play 36 or 27 on day 2. (Either on same property or nearby), then Lighthouse on Day 3 (wayback).  Don't want to break the bank, $80 or less 18/cart preferred.  Glen Riddle?  Ocean City Golf Club? Bear Trap Dunes?    

Thanks.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Baywoods is really well done and nice...Heritage Shores is fine for a local course, but absolutely nothing special. Long Neck in Delaware is 20 miles as the crow flies, but would really be more of a 4

I was at Heritage Shores two years ago. Maybe about 50 miles from Ocean City. A word of warning - there is water on every hole except maybe two.  Hit it straight or fill your bag.   I second Baywood G

Thanks all -  Made my reservations today.  Going to play Baywood Greens on the way down.  Then overnight in OC, Glenn Riddle Man 'O War and War Admiral next day, overnight in OC again and then Lighhou

Two words....Baywood Greens!  I think it is 20 ish miles away in Long Neck, Delaware and it it nicknamed the " Augusta of the North" and it is amazing in regards to layout and course conditions.  They now have 3 sets of 9 available for play and it is for sure one of the best courses in that area at a fair price. 

The homepage is not manipulated as that is exactly what the course looks like in season!

https://www.baywoodgreens.com/

4 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

Two words....Baywood Greens!  I think it is 20 ish miles away in Long Neck, Delaware and it it nicknamed the " Augusta of the North" and it is amazing in regards to layout and course conditions.  They now have 3 sets of 9 available for play and it is for sure one of the best courses in that area at a fair price. 

The homepage is not manipulated as that is exactly what the course looks like in season!

https://www.baywoodgreens.com/

Baywoods is really well done and nice...Heritage Shores is fine for a local course, but absolutely nothing special. Long Neck in Delaware is 20 miles as the crow flies, but would really be more of a 45 minute drive with lights and traffic. 

• Like 1

I go down every year in May and my rotation is to hit Baywood on the way down then play Rum Pointe, Bayside and Links.  You can play Bayside in the afternoon for $100.   I was not aware Baywood finally opened up the other 9 that they have been working on for years.  Let me know how it is if you play it.  

Ping G400 - AD DI
M6 Hybrid
P790 4-PW
Vokey SM7's
Newport 2

The only course I've played out that direction is Bear Trap Dunes - and I've had a great time both times I've played it. All of the three nines are fun and it's been in good shape during my rounds. I'd recommend it. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

23 hours ago, charli said:

Going down in two weeks to play lighthouse. Pretty excited about it. Heard nothing but good things 

Enjoy, I'll be down there in a couple weeks also.  It is my favorite track down there and is certainly a tale of two completely different 9's.  

Ping G400 - AD DI
M6 Hybrid
P790 4-PW
Vokey SM7's
Newport 2

Okay I'm back.  Here is my take.

Baywood Greens - $79 w/cart and free range.  Had a 11:27 tee time, but got down there early about an hour so they put me with a fun triple that want off at 10:12.  Fun course nothing too difficult here.  Conditions very nice but greens were slow.  Lot's of water, but avoidable.  Tons of gorgeous flowers (Tulips) everywhere.  Would play again

Glenn Riddle (Man o' War and War Admiral) Both courses WAY different.  I won't play War Admiral again.  I was first tee off in the AM.  The first hole is deceiving, it is wide open fairway with easy green to hit.  After that tight undulating fairways with lots of water and long carries.  I think all of the par 3 or at least 3 of them have 170+ carries with "island"-like greens meaning you miss, you don't have much cushion room.  many of the other holes have water/wetlands in the landing area of most drives.  Extreme target golf comes to mind.  I lost 12 balls

Man o'War is all links except for a few holes on the front 9 and and back 9.  Conditions on both courses were great.  I am not a huge fan of a true links layout, but was a fun play, just not my cup of tea.

I payed $89 for War Admiral and replay rate of $40 for Man o' War.  Both with cart and range balls.

Links at Lighthouse Sound  -  I played this two years ago and loved it.  Then I payed ~$80 with cart and range balls.  This year they had a deal at $87.50 at 10:27 AM, but they were expecting T-storms to start between 1 - 3 PM and I didn't want to not get in 18, so I decided to get there early and try a tee time around 7:30 to make sure I got a full round in and before the winds really started to pick up.  I saw that the had a tee time open at 7:27 on their website for 4, and several open slots later, so I was confident I could get in 18 before things got nasty.  I arrived at 7:00 AM and was told that they don't open (1st tee off) until 8:00.  When I asked about the 7:27 Tee time, they said that was supposed to be blocked off for maintenance.  Thumbs down here.  I could hit some range balls until then if I wanted.  I end up going out at 7:50.  The conditions here were also very good to excellent, but I was charged $109, which for me is expensive even for a premier course and compared to Rum Point and Glenn Riddle (other Ruark Properties) of $89 or less, I think Lighthouse is overpriced at that price point.

Don't get me wrong, this is a well run set-up and beautiful scenic holes except for maybe 14, 15, and 16 and I enjoy playing it, but I think it is worth no more than $90.

OTHER

Cart Service -  Yes at all starting Mid AM

On Course Facilities

- Baywood Greens  - Every 3 to 4 holes

- Glenn Riddle Courses - Club House (1 and 9) and 5 and 14

- Lighthouse - Clubhouse (1 and 7) and 14

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Pearson10M said:

Okay I'm back.  Here is my take.

Baywood Greens - $79 w/cart and free range.  Had a 11:27 tee time, but got down there early about an hour so they put me with a fun triple that want off at 10:12.  Fun course nothing too difficult here.  Conditions very nice but greens were slow.  Lot's of water, but avoidable.  Tons of gorgeous flowers (Tulips) everywhere.  Would play again

Glenn Riddle (Man o' War and War Admiral) Both courses WAY different.  I won't play War Admiral again.  I was first tee off in the AM.  The first hole is deceiving, it is wide open fairway with easy green to hit.  After that tight undulating fairways with lots of water and long carries.  I think all of the par 3 or at least 3 of them have 170+ carries with "island"-like greens meaning you miss, you don't have much cushion room.  many of the other holes have water/wetlands in the landing area of most drives.  Extreme target golf comes to mind.  I lost 12 balls

Man o'War is all links except for a few holes on the front 9 and and back 9.  Conditions on both courses were great.  I am not a huge fan of a true links layout, but was a fun play, just not my cup of tea.

I payed $89 for War Admiral and replay rate of $40 for Man o' War.  Both with cart and range balls.

Links at Lighthouse Sound  -  I played this two years ago and loved it.  Then I payed ~$80 with cart and range balls.  This year they had a deal at $87.50 at 10:27 AM, but they were expecting T-storms to start between 1 - 3 PM and I didn't want to not get in 18, so I decided to get there early and try a tee time around 7:30 to make sure I got a full round in and before the winds really started to pick up.  I saw that the had a tee time open at 7:27 on their website for 4, and several open slots later, so I was confident I could get in 18 before things got nasty.  I arrived at 7:00 AM and was told that they don't open (1st tee off) until 8:00.  When I asked about the 7:27 Tee time, they said that was supposed to be blocked off for maintenance.  Thumbs down here.  I could hit some range balls until then if I wanted.  I end up going out at 7:50.  The conditions here were also very good to excellent, but I was charged $109, which for me is expensive even for a premier course and compared to Rum Point and Glenn Riddle (other Ruark Properties) of $89 or less, I think Lighthouse is overpriced at that price point.

Don't get me wrong, this is a well run set-up and beautiful scenic holes except for maybe 14, 15, and 16 and I enjoy playing it, but I think it is worth no more than $90.

OTHER

Cart Service -  Yes at all starting Mid AM

On Course Facilities

- Baywood Greens  - Every 3 to 4 holes

- Glenn Riddle Courses - Club House (1 and 9) and 5 and 14

- Lighthouse - Clubhouse (1 and 7) and 14

Does Baywood have the new 9 open across the street?

Ping G400 - AD DI
M6 Hybrid
P790 4-PW
Vokey SM7's
Newport 2

1 minute ago, Prof3ssor said:

Does Baywood have the new 9 open across the street?

I don't think so.  As I was driving out, I saw a few golf holes and thought, did I play those?  But, I didn't.  I didn't see people on them, but it was a light rain.  When I checked in, I wasn't given and option of which of the three sets of 9's I wanted to play or would be playing.  The score card only has 18 holes on it - And the back has pictures of the 18 holes.  So unless they have three different score cards (one for each 18 hole combination).  I don't think it was ready/playable yet, but it does look like it should be this summer at some point.

On 4/22/2021 at 5:43 PM, Pearson10M said:

I don't think so.  As I was driving out, I saw a few golf holes and thought, did I play those?  But, I didn't.  I didn't see people on them, but it was a light rain.  When I checked in, I wasn't given and option of which of the three sets of 9's I wanted to play or would be playing.  The score card only has 18 holes on it - And the back has pictures of the 18 holes.  So unless they have three different score cards (one for each 18 hole combination).  I don't think it was ready/playable yet, but it does look like it should be this summer at some point.

Yeah, it has been looking like that for years.  

Ping G400 - AD DI
M6 Hybrid
P790 4-PW
Vokey SM7's
Newport 2

• 3 weeks later...