Bryson interview “the 7ft golfer”

I saw an interview today where Bryson said eventually there would be a 7ft golfer swinging it as fast as him that will make him irrelevant and it got me thinking...he’s right; then what’s the tours excuse gonna be?

Eventually there’s gonna be an elite golfer tall enough that’s gonna play 48” as their standard length and theyre gonna carry it 375+ as their stock yardage. Are they still gonna cry for lesser equipment or acknowledge they need longer venues? Food for thought. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He’s referring to someone who is 7 foot but also an elite golfer. Not a 10 cap.

I saw an interview today where Bryson said eventually there would be a 7ft golfer swinging it as fast as him that will make him irrelevant and it got me thinking...he’s right; then what’s the tours ex

At 5’ 8” I am going to go home and tell my wife that someone on the internet described me as being in the sweet spot today 😂

Posted Images

Certainly an interesting thread. Smaller pool of humans to pull from who would possess such a skillset so less likely to happen (nowadays, anyway).

Somewhat similar to sprinters where a longer stride would appear to be an advantage. Perhaps just a function of fewer of them in existence so fewer of them reaching the pinnacle of sport?

• Like 1

Isn’t there a 6’ 7” golfer from South Africa that drove 409 on the Euro tour? And routinely 360?

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made Sim2 Rescue 4,5 
Ping i210 6-PW Ping graphite
Cobra Black MIM 50, 54, 58 Nippon Tour 105
Scotty Cameron Futura X 8 Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Tp5X, Maxfli Tour

11 minutes ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

So he's referring to a unicorn?

No. It is literally a matter of time.

It might be in 1 year. It might be in 5 years. It might be in 50 years.

but if the game continues to progress and remain, there will be a physically gifted person who combines that with the dedication and practice it takes to be great.

maybe they will be 6’9 or 6’10

Bryson is just saying eventually there will be someone who does what he’s doing, very easily. 

1 hour ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

I think Byson likes to hear himself talk.

Name me all the golfers taller than 6'4" (193cm) who have won majors.

Seems like 5'8" to 6'2" is the sweet spot. 😂

Ping G425 Max 9 Ventus Blue 6x
Ping G425 17.5  Alta 65 Stiff
Ping G410 20.5 Tour 75

Ping G410 23.5 Tour 75
PXG 0311 5-PW Project X LTZ
Titleist Vokey 50 56 60

Ping Anser Putter

1 hour ago, straightshot7 said:

No. It is literally a matter of time.

It might be in 1 year. It might be in 5 years. It might be in 50 years.

but if the game continues to progress and remain, there will be a physically gifted person who combines that with the dedication and practice it takes to be great.

maybe they will be 6’9 or 6’10

Bryson is just saying eventually there will be someone who does what he’s doing, very easily. 

Maybe 200 years from now. Maybe even 500 years. I'll let you know...

Edited by Mustard_Tiger
3 hours ago, mosesgolf said:

Seems like 5'8" to 6'2" is the sweet spot. 😂

At 5’ 8” I am going to go home and tell my wife that someone on the internet described me as being in the sweet spot today 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff Tour AD DI
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

www.youtube.com/oneillgolf

Always about set up and most don’t need length added to get it done. 

Grow the rough ankle/knee high. Position trees in the right spots to cut off lines. Distance, or at least it’s impact on scoring can be controlled today. Put Jacks rakes in fairway / green side bunkers to make them a true penalty. 

PGA doesn’t want to stop it. It brings out the fans as people love the long ball.

USGA wants to control it. USGA doesn’t control the pga so they talk about equipment changes.

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5” vs Callaway Max 10.5* Rogue Max
TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos vs Callaway Max 15*
TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven TU, Seemore si3, si5, Directed Force Reno, PING Ketsch
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Shot Scope V3

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

5 hours ago, straightshot7 said:

He’s referring to someone who is 7 foot but also an elite golfer. Not a 10 cap.

It’s all relative is my point. 

Ping G410 Tour AD DI6

Ping G30 3W

Ping G30 5W

Ben Hogan VKTR Hybrid

Ping G400 5-SW Steelfiber i95

Ping Glide LW

Scotty Cameron Fastback or

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

8 hours ago, CW13 said:

I saw an interview today where Bryson said eventually there would be a 7ft golfer swinging it as fast as him that will make him irrelevant and it got me thinking...he’s right; then what’s the tours excuse gonna be?

Eventually there’s gonna be an elite golfer tall enough that’s gonna play 48” as their standard length and theyre gonna carry it 375+ as their stock yardage. Are they still gonna cry for lesser equipment or acknowledge they need longer venues? Food for thought. 

Height has diminishing returns in golf.  My guess is it’s around 6ft4 .    Longer levers will move bigger mountains.   But - they also require more counter weight  (aka muscle ) plus a stronger shaft to make it work.  

this is a negative for shortgame and irons. So at some point the long drives are canceled out.  

Edited by bladehunter

Titleist tsi2 10* Mitsubishi TB 70x 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

Cobra F9  7 wood 22.5 blue board 80TX 

Titleist T100 4-pw   modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 50*54*58*v grind s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

The body of a person that tall wouldn't be able to withstand the countless hours of practice it takes to reach that level of golf. That's just dumb.

Also, a 7 ft tall person with any sort of hand eye coordination whatsoever will be more likely to spend their life training to play basketball. You can earn more playing 1 year in the NBA than you would toiling away on the golf course for 10.

Edited by One Putter
  • Like 4

The tour would have to start playing wide open 10,000 yard courses to attract that kind of athlete down the road.  Currently, the average distance is coming up to meet what is generally beneficial for playing top tier golf (pending all the other skills are also there).  Those that can pummel the ball well beyond average aren't exactly dominating the sport.  I don't doubt there will be a guy that is very tall and hits it super long with ease and has game elsewhere, but he will likely be the type that had no interest in basketball, or any other sport where his height and athleticism would have given him a leg up.  He would have had to adopted golf instead and decided that was his thing.  Totally possible, but just not likely until that body type and power has a distinctly higher success rate making it on tour than currently.

I understand where he is coming from, however, there is likely a lot more money to be made elsewhere at that height *cough* NBA

Agree with one of the posters above, he just like to hear himself talk

• Like 1

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17º w/ Even Flow

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Irons (5-PW): Srixon 765 w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 120

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º & 60º PXG 0311

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

1 hour ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

No there isn't. That makes absolutely no sense.

To over-exaggerate...which is easier, to hit the center of the clubface with a 1' club or a 10' club?  Additionally, it is harder to gauge distance control with longer clubs, think about Bryson and his single length wedges.  Sure, on average, taller players can hit it farther, but it's also harder for them to control.

• Thanks 1