Bryson interview “the 7ft golfer”

Just now, Frankensteins Monster said:

Saying height is guaranteed to have diminishing returns is as black and white as it gets. It's all individual. That has been my argument since the beginning. Saying limb length is guaranteed to produce a worse ball striker is as black and white as it gets.

Please show me where I used any term as definitive as "guaranteed to produce a worse ball-striker"! You've created that narrative on your own, and that's pretty handy work on your part because it's the only way you can keep telling me my opinions are entirely wrong and yours are above reproach. I've only said I think longer levers and a wider arc increases the likelihood of variance, and that would support the original statement made by the poster who brought it up in the first place, and that statement was "diminishing returns", and I THINK that is accurate.  I've also provided reasonable proof.  All I've gotten from you is that PGA Tour players are really talented and aren't all the same height.  Amazing. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He’s referring to someone who is 7 foot but also an elite golfer. Not a 10 cap.

I saw an interview today where Bryson said eventually there would be a 7ft golfer swinging it as fast as him that will make him irrelevant and it got me thinking...he’s right; then what’s the tours ex

At 5’ 8” I am going to go home and tell my wife that someone on the internet described me as being in the sweet spot today 😂

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

Please show me where I used any term as definitive as "guaranteed to produce a worse ball-striker"! You've created that narrative on your own, and that's pretty handy work on your part because it's the only way you can keep telling me my opinions are entirely wrong and yours are above reproach. I've only said I think longer levers and a wider arc increases the likelihood of variance, and that would support the original statement made by the poster who brought it up in the first place, and that statement was "diminishing returns", and I THINK that is accurate.  I've also provided reasonable proof.  All I've gotten from you is that PGA Tour players are really talented and aren't all the same height.  Amazing. 

How can you think something is "accurate" when all data, players who are taller are better ball strikers than shorter players, shows that it's all individual? This thread is about 7ft player being a professional. There are people in here claiming it's too tall and there are "diminishing returns" the taller one gets. That is, flat out, wrong, as shown by real world data of... there are tall players that are better ball strikers than short players. PGA Tour Professionals are better ball strikers than they were when they were top amateurs in their teens and they were shorter, had shorter limbs, and thus a shorter radius with their swings.

I'm gonna focus on watch the Masters now, Doc.

Edited by Frankensteins Monster
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

How can you think something is "accurate" when all data, players who are taller are better ball strikers than shorter players, shows that it's all individual? This thread is about 7ft player being a professional. There are people in here claiming it's too tall and there are "diminishing returns" the taller one gets. That is, flat out, wrong, as shown by real world data of... there are tall players that are better ball strikers than short players. PGA Tour Professionals are better ball strikers than they were when they were top amateurs in their teens and they were shorter, had shorter limbs, and thus a shorter radius with their swings.

I'm not sure what your golf handicap is, but your strawman logic handicap is a +6.  

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

I'm gonna focus on watch the Masters now, Doc.

I am simply saying longer limbs and a bigger arc theoretically could and should  make accuracy with the golf ball more challenging for a 7ft tall golfer. And my support for that belief is the same reason that using a 48 inch driver makes accuracy with the golf ball more of a challenge - the further you are from your work, the harder timing becomes.  

I understand what you're saying and I agree with you. None of it is a rule, and what you are saying is talent is the ultimate decider, and you are right.  If a 7ft tall golfer comes along and accomplishes a major win, it will be for the same reason that 6'4" Ernie Els and 5'4" Ian Woosnam did, because he is supremely talented and he worked his tail off to become the golfer he is.  His body was not the deciding factor, his skill and dedication was. 

Enjoy the masters, and thank you for the debate.  I apologize for the comment above, that was unkind and uncalled for. Sipping from the straw is a way of life on here, otherwise we'd never have any fun.  

• Like 1

It's a nonsense point really, first of all where are all these 7 foot people in the world? There aren't that many, and of the few that are sporting, most of them that are interested in sport will play basketball and will keep playing basketball. There is a clear advantage in basketball in how the game works, in a way that golf will never replicate. 

Being that tall brings with it other problems, particularly distance from the ball. If you look at the 6 foot 10 players in tennis, they often have big, menacing serves, but smaller players find a way around them. Is a 7 foot player going to be a great putter, wedge player or ball striker as well? The centre of gravity is a part of the golf swing and golf in general. Low centre of gravity can be an advantage in golf in providing you with a solid base. Look back at golf history and there are more successful small players than tall players. Being tall isn't new in golf history.

Even now for all the talk about Bryson's bulk, JT and Morikawa have been just as good and they're thin and small. Small golfers will always contend, don't worry. No matter what Bryson and others try to portray it as, skill and game management still matter.

1 hour ago, Dr. Block said:

I am simply saying longer limbs and a bigger arc theoretically could and should  make accuracy with the golf ball more challenging for a 7ft tall golfer. And my support for that belief is the same reason that using a 48 inch driver makes accuracy with the golf ball more of a challenge - the further you are from your work, the harder timing becomes.  

I understand what you're saying and I agree with you. None of it is a rule, and what you are saying is talent is the ultimate decider, and you are right.  If a 7ft tall golfer comes along and accomplishes a major win, it will be for the same reason that 6'4" Ernie Els and 5'4" Ian Woosnam did, because he is supremely talented and he worked his tail off to become the golfer he is.  His body was not the deciding factor, his skill and dedication was. 

Enjoy the masters, and thank you for the debate.  I apologize for the comment above, that was unkind and uncalled for. Sipping from the straw is a way of life on here, otherwise we'd never have any fun.  

No reason to apologize. It was innocent and made me laugh. 

Let’s go Spieth!

• Like 2

I meant more along the lines of when/if this ever happens or if pros continue to expand on distance do you think they will alter equipment or finally admit they need to hold events at longer courses? 

If the PGA cares about the integrity of the game they need to move to new/longer courses. Personally, if a pro scores -10 or below I believe the course has no business holding a pro tournament. (Yes I’m including Augusta, -20 should be an embarrassment to a course which likes to boast how good it is). I wish the PGA treated these venues as other sports do. When they become outdated and irrelevant to the current game they either adapt/rebuild or move somewhere else. 

I meant more along the lines of when/if this ever happens or if pros continue to expand on distance do you think they will alter equipment or finally admit they need to hold events at longer courses? 

If the PGA cares about the integrity of the game they need to move to new/longer courses. Personally, if a pro scores -10 or below I believe the course has no business holding a pro tournament. (Yes I’m including Augusta, -20 should be an embarrassment to a course which likes to boast how good it is). I wish the PGA treated these venues as other sports do. When they become outdated and irrelevant to the current game they either adapt/rebuild or move somewhere else. 

3 minutes ago, CW13 said:

I wish the PGA treated these venues as other sports do. When they become outdated and irrelevant to the current game they either adapt/rebuild or move somewhere else. 

Like when they made new Yankee Stadium dimensions smaller than old Yankee Stadium so more home runs could be hit.

• Haha 1

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

55 minutes ago, CW13 said:

I wish the PGA treated these venues as other sports do. When they become outdated and irrelevant to the current game they either adapt/rebuild or move somewhere else. 

They do move them.  Go back and look at where some tournaments have been played and where they are played now.  They also tend to move them to TPC courses because the Tour is using their own venue.

That has been one of the sticking points brought up in the various "roll back" threads.  Historic courses built by famous and revered architects are falling out of rotation, and thus they are not accessible in the sense that the general public is not getting exposed to those courses via television.

The other thing is at what length do these things have to be built to not be "outdated or irrelevant?"  

I think most guys that are 7' will either be too awkward as a kid during his growth spurt and more likely to dedicate his time to basketball instead of golf.

There are advantages to being tall but disadvantages to being overly tall.  Golf isn't a new sport and there's plenty of money in it.  If we were going to see a skilled 6'6"+ golfer on tour, I'd think it would have happened by now.

Edited by forrester_fire
20 hours ago, forrester_fire said:

I think most guys that are 7' will either be too awkward as a kid during his growth spurt and more likely to dedicate his time to basketball instead of golf.

There are advantages to being tall but disadvantages to being overly tall.  Golf isn't a new sport and there's plenty of money in it.  If we were going to see a skilled 6'6"+ golfer on tour, I'd think it would have happened by now.

LOL this is what i came here to post and you did it right before me!!!

Have you guys seen most kids that are like 6'6 when they are 13 years old? Most of them can barely butter toast without falling over. These kids end up playing basketball because it's the only sport where if they can just run they can be useful grabbing rebounds and blocking shots by accident. 

No super tall 12-13yr old kid is gonna take up golf. He'd literally never hit the ball

• Like 1

Cobra Radspeed XB tour length 9 w/ PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke Black 80
Cobra F9 Tour 13.5 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 70
Callaway Apex 20 w/PX Catalyst 70
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

12 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

Most of them can barely butter toast without falling over.

That’s pretty funny. 

Ping G410 Tour AD DI6

Ping G30 3W

Ping G30 5W

Ben Hogan VKTR Hybrid

Ping G400 5-SW Steelfiber i95

Ping Glide LW

Scotty Cameron Fastback or

Bettinardi Studio 28cs