Epic Max for high Swing Speed?

I was fit last year for a Marik Sub Zero/ Accra TZ5. To be honest, I think both myself and the fitter were chasing distance, as far as launch and peak height- they're both a little bit on the low side (SS 117 give or take, spin was 1900ish). Great for overall distance but not the most practical on course. For me, small misses don't exist with the sub zero- when it's good it's great, when it's a miss, it's a big miss.   

I've recently starting playing again after having shoulder surgery. I don't have all my speed back, but I do have most, yardages are pretty close to before surgery. However, the Mavrik is coming of even lower than before, to the point where I'm loosing distance, and starting to entertain a change for something a little friendlier, even if it costs me a few yards. My plan is to get fit once I'm back to 100%, but in the meantime I'm curious if any higher swing speed players have had any success with the Max? The LS seems a logical starting point, however the idea of being able to crank the loft down a bit, get a few hundred extra rpms to help with carry and still retain the extra forgiveness is intriguing to me.   

If I've got the right idea, but the wrong club (someone's had success with a tsi2, 425 max or the like), I'm all ears. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My ss is slightly higher than yours, and I have gamed a SIM MAX and M4 in the past which are more forgiving so yes, you can game an Epic Max.  Surprisingly the M4 was great for my swing but my misses tended to be more extreme than the SIM 2 I have now.  The MAX launched 2* too high and the spin was maybe 200 rpm more than optimal(not a big deal) which is why I went to a SIM then a SIM 2.  FYI, my swing wasn't as good as it is now. 

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

I'm not as fast as you, but I am faster than a "typical" MAX player.  I swing ~105 on course and can get it up to ~110 on the range/simulator if I just want to hit it is hard as I can with no concern for direction.  I picked up the Epic MAX 9* with MMT 60S earlier this year and have been driving the ball SO much better than I ever have.  I'm coming from a Cobra F9, which was great when I was swinging very well, but it could get VERY squirrely when I wasn't.  

For me, the best thing about the Epic MAX is how the spin doesn't drop to unmanageable levels when hit on the toe.  This has kept me from hitting the dreaded snap toe hook that plagued me in the past and made for very nerve wracking tee shots when there was trouble left.  Full disclosure, the Epic MAX was a bit too draw biased for me in the stock configuration, but with the weight in the toe, tour flat adapter, length -1/2" and loft at 8* to open the face I'd say it is now slightly fade biased, at least as much as my F9 was, which is supposedly fade biased in the 9* head.

I hit up on the ball and have never had outrageously high spin so YMMV, but my launch and spin are in a very playable 14-15* and 2400-2600rpm for my 154-156mph ball speed.

Callaway Epic Max 9* w/ Mitsubishi MMT 60S

Titleist 917 F2 16.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 70S

Ping G410 Hybrid 22* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Srixon z585 4I w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Srixon z785 5-P w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 50*, 54*, 58* w/ DG Tour Issue S400

Taylormade Spider X Slant Neck

Titleist Pro V1x

Not quite 117 MPH (I'm 113) but I went and tested drivers yesterday but only made it through 5 before I decided to take a break. I didn't hit the max but did hit the Speed and it was very forgiving on mishits as was the Sim2 and the TSi2 and 3. Currently hitting an OG M2 and overall its still keeping up with all but the TSi3 on distance but there was definitely a big different on mishits with the newer tech. 

IMO the biggest difference from 5 years ago is forgiveness on mishits. I was still getting upper 200s low 300s (total) with hits towards the toe or heel while still staying relatively online. Center hits were in the mid 330's (total), the the TSi4 and Epic both pushed some over 340 with the TSi3 getting one 345. I still need to go back and test the 425 and the Rad Speed. 

FWIW I remember reading that Callaway did not make the Max LS quite as low spin as the Sub Z models.  They’re going to that triple diamond thing for 110+ gorillas.  When I hit both indoors I feel the LS was lower spin and not necessarily LOW spin.  I was still spinning it just fine.  But I’m only mid-high 90’s so the Max was fine and VERY straight / forgiving.  Agree totally on the slight draw bias, which I need.  GL

Callaway Epic Max  9*  Kuro Kage Silver  
Callaway Epic Flash  15*  Kuro Kage Silver

Callaway Steelhead XR  21*  Tensei Blue
Callaway Steelhead XR  24*  Tensei Blue

Titleist TS2  25*  Kuro Kage Black

Titleist TS2  27*  Kuro Kage Black
Ping G710  7-SW  UST Recoil 780
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway Chrome Soft Yellow

Similar to your speed.  115 to 122 I refuse to chase distance and I need accuracy more.   Which is why I played the 400 MAX since it came out.  I had a brief affair with the 410 LST, but I ended up with the Max LS.  

It gives me close to the accuracy of the 400 MAX, but with better ball speed and spin numbers.  Not crazy low spin either, which is why I like it.  Plus it is SUPER neutral weighted and I am sure I could lower the loft and get the best spin numbers, but I like it where it is.

• Driver - Epic Max LS
  • 4 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17*
  • Irons = Srixon ZX4 4 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons = Srixon ZX5 5 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 (6-PW) on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50* mid Zipcore, MD5 54*, 60* Mid Zipcore all on Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - TP5 or Srixon Z Star