Foley hate?

MUNIGRIT

6 hours ago, grm24 said:

https://golf.com/news/sean-foley-tiger-woods-interview/

Ok. But all of the people that are double digit indexes at WRX know better than the man himself and his players? Right? 

Same as how wrong people here are about David Ledbetter being so awful as an instructor in spite of his success stories and think that the solution to any players swing issues is to "Call Butch". Please.

So many preconceived notions by people here about instructors that are plain wrong. Same as with equipment. Then again.... that's WRX. 

Did some of the stuff we do put Tiger’s back under too much stress? Maybe.” Maybe, huh. When Foley admits this, you know it’s a bigger problem than he’s letting on. It’s not just Tiger that has had this problem with him.

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

3 hours ago, AndersUK said:

He makes a lot of effort to portray himself as on a higher level than his peers to the degree that I find his work esoteric.  Either that or I am dumb?  PS. this is not a poll.

I prefer the Butch approach - "Hit the ******* ball.  Nice ball, do that."

Nail on the head.   This is my exact take.   He takes a game/swing that isn’t overly complicated for the born gifted , and turns it into brain surgery.  For what ?  

I’ll tell you why , because those who can’t do , teach.    He has to make it complicated or else whod pay him ? Those who can do , just do.  Tiger just does ( or did ) .  You wake up with a different feel almost daily. You ride that horse that day.  No amount of computer modeling will change that fact.  

• Thanks 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I have noticed that most “tour” instructors aren’t necessarily good, they are just around on the range each week willing to help and travel around on tour. Not too many instructors willing to do that when they can make bank at some country club popping out lessons everyday and be close to home. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Nail on the head.   This is my exact take.   He takes a game/swing that isn’t overly complicated for the born gifted , and turns it into brain surgery.  For what ?  

I’ll tell you why , because those who can’t do , teach.    He has to make it complicated or else whod pay him ? Those who can do , just do.  Tiger just does ( or did ) .  You wake up with a different feel almost daily. You ride that horse that day.  No amount of computer modeling will change that fact.  

It is complicated. The point of a coach is to distill that into understandable information. But to be a good coach you have to understand the root issues and not just tell people “ you topped it because you didn’t keep your head down “ and the other idiotic things you hear on the lesson tee. 

if it wasn’t complicated then why can’t average people figure it out and get really good on their own and why does essentially every tour player have constant lessons their entire life since they were kids ? Ya it must be an instruction scam  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redjeep83 said:

I have noticed that most “tour” instructors aren’t necessarily good, they are just around on the range each week willing to help and travel around on tour. Not too many instructors willing to do that when they can make bank at some country club popping out lessons everyday and be close to home. 

I don't know if it's so much them not being good, as being given far too much credit for the success of incredibly gifted players.  

To use a tennis example, is Severin Luthi a great coach because he is Roger Federer's coach?  Or is Magnus Norman a better coach because Stan Wawrinka was a 15th-ranked type player before working with him, and won 3 grand slam titles (in an era where it was ridiculously hard to win if you weren't a few guys) working with him?  

I think a lot of pros, will win what their talent allows, so long as a coach doesn't screw them up.  Butch Harmon is one of a few guys who might be able to get improvement from an already gifted player, but most coaches who impact players' games do so in a negative way, IMHO.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, pinhigh27 said:

It is complicated. The point of a coach is to distill that into understandable information. But to be a good coach you have to understand the root issues and not just tell people “ you topped it because you didn’t keep your head down “ and the other idiotic things you hear on the lesson tee. 

if it wasn’t complicated then why can’t average people figure it out and get really good on their own and why does essentially every tour player have constant lessons their entire life since they were kids ? Ya it must be an instruction scam  

You’re putting words into my mouth.  

I said no such thing.  And I spoke to the naturally gifted . Not Everyman.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Hey, Frankensteins Monster: I understand and respect being skeptical of what people on the Internet type, but I really don't make up stuff. I have little respect for Foley because I think he should have simply answered that he was wrong, then corrected it. Instead, he made an excuse.

• Like 3

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

22 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Hey, Frankensteins Monster: I understand and respect being skeptical of what people on the Internet type, but I really don't make up stuff. I have little respect for Foley because I think he should have simply answered that he was wrong, then corrected it. Instead, he made an excuse.

That's what happens when a guy with an Arts Degree tries to talk science.  The baby had nothing to do with it. 

He's a snake oil salesman.  

17 minutes ago, pinhigh27 said:

lol the naturally gifted? 

Look.  It’s obvious that you are a teacher. No doubt.  Or want to be one or something.  Right ?  So anytime a single contrary opinion is expressed , you play the “ instructors know best “ card.  Which really only goes to show your bias.  But that’s ok. We all have bias. 

I live next door to an instructor of 40 plus years.  My mentor is a pga master pro , he’s taught folks to the highest level there is.  My point in saying that is go let you know that I’m not anti instructor.  My regular group is 3 professionals and me.  I play with both of those men daily before covid and at least weekly now.  I’m there as much as anybody can be without being an instructor myself.  I’m inside the conversation etc.  you can’t tell me much that I haven’t heard or seen myself.  

just don’t want you to get my opinions on styles twisted.  I’m not anti instruction. I’m just anti info overload.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

26 minutes ago, pinhigh27 said:

lol the naturally gifted? 

By the way. Laughing at the thought of natural players only proves my point.  If you don’t understand that they exist , you aren’t being open minded enough in your craft.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Look.  It’s obvious that you are a teacher. No doubt.  Or want to be one or something.  Right ?  So anytime a single contrary opinion is expressed , you play the “ instructors know best “ card.  Which really only goes to show your bias.  But that’s ok. We all have bias. 

I live next door to an instructor of 40 plus years.  My mentor is a pga master pro , he’s taught folks to the highest level there is.  My point in saying that is go let you know that I’m not anti instructor.  My regular group is 3 professionals and me.  I play with both of those men daily before covid and at least weekly now.  I’m there as much as anybody can be without being an instructor myself.  I’m inside the conversation etc.  you can’t tell me much that I haven’t heard or seen myself.  

just don’t want you to get my opinions on styles twisted.  I’m not anti instruction. I’m just anti info overload.  

No one is saying more information for the player is always good. I specifically said a good coach would have a player not get information overloaded. But the pro has to understand the information themselves or they're just guessing and throwing out useless jargon from golf digest. 

Yes some players are more talented than others. It doesn't really change this discussion. 

8 minutes ago, pinhigh27 said:

No one is saying more information for the player is always good. I specifically said a good coach would have a player not get information overloaded. But the pro has to understand the information themselves or they're just guessing and throwing out useless jargon from golf digest. 

Yes some players are more talented than others. It doesn't really change this discussion. 

Fair enough.  I haven’t followed every comment of yours in this thread.  

I just personally don’t care for foleys approach. I think he is a guy who teaches “ his swing “ instead of polishing that persons swing.  But , I won’t say that’s 100 % what he does with all. I but it’s what I think he did to tiger.  But I’ll also put half the onus on tiger for letting him do it.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

”Hate” is a strong word, does anyone that haven’t met the guy really hate him? If so they need to listen to some reggae, take some deep breaths and relax a bit, maybe do some self reflection. I personally don’t like the work he did with Tigers swing and a lot of guys coached by him seems to hurt their back, might just be coincidence but its starting to become a long list of players

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 80sFredriksson said:

”Hate” is a strong word, does anyone that haven’t met the guy really hate him? If so they need to listen to some reggae, take some deep breaths and relax a bit, maybe do some self reflection. I personally don’t like the work he did with Tigers swing and a lot of guys coached by him seems to hurt their back, might just be coincidence but its starting to become a long list of players

Do you need to finish that part of the sentence?  🤔

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Ferguson said:

A few other things ranked up there with Foley –

1. The lofty reputation of Peloton instructors
  2. Anyone named Keith
  3. BOA fit system for shoes (laces are too complicated?)
  4. The term brain cramp 
  5. Justin Leonard's prominent bracelet with charms 

Hey!!! Gettin' a little personal there!.  And I'm better looking than Foley.😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

19 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Did some of the stuff we do put Tiger’s back under too much stress? Maybe.” Maybe, huh. When Foley admits this, you know it’s a bigger problem than he’s letting on. It’s not just Tiger that has had this problem with him.

LOL! Ok. Did Foley force Tiger into these swing changes he proposed? Did Foley force Tiger to take him on as an instructor? Tiger chose Foley as his instructor. Tiger on his own went along with the changes Foley suggested. Same as Tiger did with all of his other swing instructors he went to. So explain to everybody how it's Foleys or Hank's or Como's fault that Tiger decided to go with these people as his instructors and screw him up when Tiger went to them on his own. Did you actually read the article on Foley I linked? Foley has had players that have had zero issues with their backs under his tutelage. Of course you and others skip over that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1