2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

PXG sucks

Supersized

Give you a hint...definitely not a PXG issue.

• Like 1

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

I think the main issue is that you can’t see these clubs in person. Other sites have stated the way they measure or you can check out the clubs in person. PXG clubs you can’t just go see the length. I’ve had Srixon and PXG at standard length and they were a half inch different. It would save every manufacture the trouble if they would state how they measure the clubs. 

PXG customer service leaves a lot to be desired.  Very nice, but completely unaccountable and turned snotty and unresponsive with problems with order.

I ordered full bag gen 3 for $2988.  

*  They overcharged  (just 7 bucks because daily price change after i ordered)

Build quality suspect?

* 4 of the irons covered in goo/glue on heads.  when i took to clean and checked lie )ordered one degree flat, half of clubs uncorrected- could tell because 4 of them had vise marks and 4 did not...

*  they never sent hat or bag (showed on packing slip)  when I called they said we are out please take the camp color or nothing. i work for military and don't want camp bag, I asked for another black one or refund or a 3 wood (less cost)  No, no and no.

* I guess my only recourse is to call amex and request the partial refund, really surprised you can pay $3K + and get treated like an absolute afterthought, or worse no intent to fulfill purchase.  I ordered the cheapest  (for them) options for set (savings of about 400 vs 800).  Really surprised by this, but reading this thread makes me less so.

The prototype woods are really nice, wedges have some good qualities -0311 P, meh  like my 921 HMP better... to each his own!!

Edited by jason1635
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jason1635 said:

PXG customer service leaves a lot to be desired.  Very nice, but completely unaccountable and turned snotty and unresponsive with problems with order.

I ordered full bag gen 3 for $2988.  

*  They overcharged  (just 7 bucks because daily price change after i ordered)

Build quality suspect?

* 4 of the irons covered in goo/glue on heads.  when i took to clean and checked lie )ordered one degree flat, half of clubs uncorrected- could tell because 4 of them had vise marks and 4 did not...

*  they never sent hat or bag (showed on packing slip)  when I called they said we are out please take the camp color or nothing. i work for military and don't want camp bag, I asked for another black one or refund or a 3 wood (less cost)  No, no and no.

* I guess my only recourse is to call amex and request the partial refund, really surprised you can pay $3K + and get treated like an absolute afterthought, or worse no intent to fulfill purchase.  I ordered the cheapest  (for them) options for set (savings of about 400 vs 800).  Really surprised by this, but reading this thread makes me less so.

The prototype woods are really nice, wedges have some good qualities -0311 P, meh  like my 921 HMP better... to each his own!!

None of my irons were set to the specs that I was fit at.  On the 5th round 1 head flew off and a 2nd head started coming off.  Also turns out the lengths of the shafts were off for 2 of the irons.

I finally got a response, but no apology or even a care that it happened.  I had them redone elsewhere because I had zero trust they would do things right.  

On 4/10/2021 at 11:59 AM, jblough99 said:

Looking closer at the pics you provided, your ruler isn’t measuring from the sole of the club where it contacts the ground, but up the hosel a bit.  Red line is where the measurement should start from but your ruler (black line) looks to be roughly a half inch above that.  Taking that into account and also not including the grip cap (which usually is not included in the finished length), these irons are built exactly to the spec/build sheet you provided.

29B64779-323E-43B3-8FD3-951C537E9874.jpeg.69e7f314a44675ab1e38950b062f35c1.jpeg

Exactly what I was going to point out.  Not even close to an accurate measurement.  Clubs are likely right on spec. 

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

On 4/10/2021 at 9:59 AM, jblough99 said:

Looking closer at the pics you provided, your ruler isn’t measuring from the sole of the club where it contacts the ground, but up the hosel a bit.  Red line is where the measurement should start from but your ruler (black line) looks to be roughly a half inch above that.  Taking that into account and also not including the grip cap (which usually is not included in the finished length), these irons are built exactly to the spec/build sheet you provided.

29B64779-323E-43B3-8FD3-951C537E9874.jpeg.69e7f314a44675ab1e38950b062f35c1.jpeg

This exactly. That ruler is off. By a lot. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Starched said:

PXG does suck. They started out with this air of exclusivity for wealthy Bros who didn’t know anything about golf and wanted to impress their friends. Now their ad campaigns have morphed into stupidity like the Duluth underwear company. As far as their clubs, they can’t afford the R&D and what you get is a cool looking club that besides that is thoroughly average in all respects. Just look at the pros who played them for a season and then left that tells you everything you need to know.

Just be happy bro, its a better place to be in then where you're at now...

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Starched said:

PXG does suck. They started out with this air of exclusivity for wealthy Bros who didn’t know anything about golf and wanted to impress their friends. Now their ad campaigns have morphed into stupidity like the Duluth underwear company. As far as their clubs, they can’t afford the R&D and what you get is a cool looking club that besides that is thoroughly average in all respects. Just look at the pros who played them for a season and then left that tells you everything you need to know.

I would completely disagree with you. Their Gen1 and Gen2 putters were very good and the Proto and 0211 drivers are as good as anything out right now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2021 at 1:35 PM, Starched said:

Completely disagree!!!  Don’t count the lack of players and wins for poor performance!  Plenty of people on all the tours play and play well with them to include wins!  In that thinking I guess Ping, Srixon and Bridgestone clubs suck too!!  BUT just because the pure numbers game of the limited PXG staff versus a ton of other manufacturers staff players doesn’t prove they aren’t any good. With only 1 player in the top 35 OWGR playing PXG chances are another manufacturer will probably win.  I’m more interested in seeing where they continue to go with staff personnel and can those personnel contend for wins regularly!!!  Which they do!

Lydia Ko wins just fine with them along with Kokrak also!!

just play what you want and allows you to perform well!  It’s your money, for me I play well with PXG and will continue to play PXG as their cost is no more outrageous then any other brand right now!  Enjoy your game!!

Edited by Cleveland_Rocks
  • Like 3

The only thing Pxg sucks at is the nickeling and diming of their customers. All shafts are upgrades and the extra to ship to the consumers house is absolutely ridiculous. BUT, to me, their clubs are superior to most major manufacturers. The gen 4 t’s are more forgiving than any 1 piece forged blade or cb and about the same as most game improvement irons. Not sure if you’d classify the t’s as players distance irons or not, but they are more consistent on distance and dispersion than any PDI I’ve played. I’m also playing the proto driver and it has made me more consistent than any other driver Ive owned. It may not be the longest, center strike to center strike, but it has been the most predictable and the weights actually work. Of course these are just my opinions and ymmv. 

On 5/8/2021 at 2:57 PM, snagy2000 said:

Just be happy bro, its a better place to be in then where you're at now...

I’m super happy. 

• Haha 1

TaylorMade Mini Driver 11.5

Callaway Epic 3 wood

Sub 70 5 wood

Titleist U510 22*

Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 5-PW

Mizuno S18 Wedges

Ping Kinloch C Putter

On 5/9/2021 at 4:00 PM, Cleveland_Rocks said:

Completely disagree!!!  Don’t count the lack of players and wins for poor performance!  Plenty of people on all the tours play and play well with them to include wins!  In that thinking I guess Ping, Srixon and Bridgestone clubs suck too!!  BUT just because the pure numbers game of the limited PXG staff versus a ton of other manufacturers staff players doesn’t prove they aren’t any good. With only 1 player in the top 35 OWGR playing PXG chances are another manufacturer will probably win.  I’m more interested in seeing where they continue to go with staff personnel and can those personnel contend for wins regularly!!!  Which they do!

Lydia Ko wins just fine with them along with Kokrak also!!

just play what you want and allows you to perform well!  It’s your money, for me I play well with PXG and will continue to play PXG as their cost is no more outrageous then any other brand right now!  Enjoy your game!!

Good for you! Kokrak tho? You had me until then 

Callaway Epic 3 wood

Sub 70 5 wood

Titleist U510 22*

Mizuno S18 Wedges

Ping Kinloch C Putter

On 5/8/2021 at 4:42 PM, blackngold_blood said:

I would completely disagree with you. Their Gen1 and Gen2 putters were very good and the Proto and 0211 drivers are as good as anything out right now. 

Get TXG to do a comparo. Their clubs are just fine nothing amazing. Pricey and bad customer service. Play what makes you happy. The post was “do they suck”? and since the clubs aren’t better than anyone else’s, their customer service has issues , and their ad campaign is dumb all I said was , yes. Yes they do. 

Callaway Epic 3 wood

Sub 70 5 wood

Titleist U510 22*

Mizuno S18 Wedges

Ping Kinloch C Putter

8 hours ago, Starched said:

Get TXG to do a comparo. Their clubs are just fine nothing amazing. Pricey and bad customer service. Play what makes you happy. The post was “do they suck”? and since the clubs aren’t better than anyone else’s, their customer service has issues , and their ad campaign is dumb all I said was , yes. Yes they do. 

Actually you said “they can’t afford R&D and all you get is a cool looking club that is thoroughly average in all respects”, which I disagree with. The Proto X and 0211 drivers are the longest and straightest drivers I have ever hit. 
Yes their commercials aren’t my cup of tea and no they aren’t the exclusive brand anymore, but that doesn’t mean they suck. 

As far as getting TXG to do a comparison, what does Matt or Ian have to do with MY swing?  I understand you don’t like them and that is absolutely fine.  I take no offense to you disliking them. 

Edited by blackngold_blood
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2021 at 11:30 PM, Starched said:

My friend is a fitter for many oem including jdm..he said about a year ago the pxg were great

On 5/8/2021 at 1:35 PM, Starched said:

LOL the Duluth trading company comparison is kinda funny, and the more I think about it, very true.  Must have the same ad folks

I do like their hybrid thoughs.  Didn't get along with their other stuff and it didn't work as well for me.  I don't think the equipment sucks, just not head and shoulders above other stuff out there.

• Thanks 1

Yadi for President

On 5/22/2021 at 7:44 AM, BYK said:

LOL the Duluth trading company comparison is kinda funny, and the more I think about it, very true.  Must have the same ad folks

I do like their hybrid thoughs.  Didn't get along with their other stuff and it didn't work as well for me.  I don't think the equipment sucks, just not head and shoulders above other stuff out there.

Maybe Parsons does the voice for Duluth on the commercials 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GAMER SETUP:

Callaway AiSmoke TD 8* @ 7* | Tour AD HD 7s 

Callaway AiSmoke TD 3W | Denali Black 6.0 70g

TaylorMade SIM Ti 5W | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway Apex Black 4-P | Nippon Modus 120 S +1"

Titleist 48* @ 49* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 54* @ 55* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 58* @ 59* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | 36" - 71* - 3.5*

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased six 0311 XP irons. On my first round the 7 and 8 broke in half about 1” from the bottom of the grip - identical spot. Inside the steel shaft it appears to be rust, though I may be wrong. So my concern is that the whole lot is defective. I have never had this happen in 30 yrs playing. They are giving me a full refund without restocking fee, and rightfully so - but I so wanted these to be the ones. 

652A0B4F-8D5B-46D8-A8C0-3D6D90322B6F.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

My Gen 1 0211’s did it with the 6,7 & 8.  PXG replaced and rebuilt each time.  I went and contacted true temper about the shafts as these issues were NOT a PXG being the shaft was breaking and they stated they had a known defect with the early versions of the True Temper Elevate shaft and they were working on a new revision.  They got it fixed and things have been great ever since.  If you like them that much working with them and true temper may give you the confidence again with them.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

You should go to a local shop and speak with someone who knows about their particular clubs.  Stay away from big box stores.  Unfortunately no one is carrying PXG anymore, because they can't get enough markup.  

I wouldn't let one bad employee sour your clubs.

There are certainly some disadvantages in buying direct, but all the other brands have at least a 30% markup on them.  PXG is a superior product in terms of quality and technology(they all go about the same distance, its about miss hits), more of your money goes into the clubs.  Same reason the ben hogan irons are comparably cheap, no dealer markup.    

Their gen 4 driver is $299, and every test i see its as good as the sim 2 ($529) although a course review with fairways hit would be a better test for us mortals.  I hated the two tone crown so i got the proto x for $199 (no longer sold as of 2 days ago).