Ksig vs Top Flite Gamer

So in my constant quest of a decent ball at a price that won't break the bank at the rate I lose them, I'm looking at the Top Flite Gamer.  The Gamer is a bit more expensive than the new Kirkland ball, but is it significantly better?  Has anyone done a direct comparison on the two?  I'm all about value, so is the extra price of the gamer worth the extra cost?

Sto Pro Veritate

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s a ionomer cover vs urethane cover, so the top flight isn’t going to have as much spin. So no, you are getting a worse ball for more money...   the Kirkland is the best value in golf by

Until your distance dispersion is super consistent and you’re relying on stock yardages for carry purposes, you won’t notice the loss of yds. Someone who relies on specific features of their game ie:

If there's a target near you, you can get the cut grey and maybe a cut blue, they are urethane balls and perform pretty good I think. Durability isn't pro v1 level, but it sounds like you're like me a

Posted Images

It’s a ionomer cover vs urethane cover, so the top flight isn’t going to have as much spin. So no, you are getting a worse ball for more money...

the Kirkland is the best value in golf by a wide margin... it spins a ton, though... it costs me enough yardage that it’s not worth playing for me.

the four piece Kirkland hasn’t released yet and should be $15 a dozen... I’m assuming it will be a good golf ball... 

Costco is the only brand making a urethane ball for under $25 a dozen.

• Like 2

As of 1/24/21

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with RipX

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-GW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

23 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

It’s a ionomer cover vs urethane cover, so the top flight isn’t going to have as much spin. So no, you are getting a worse ball for more money...

the Kirkland is the best value in golf by a wide margin... it spins a ton, though... it costs me enough yardage that it’s not worth playing for me.

the four piece Kirkland hasn’t released yet and should be $15 a dozen... I’m assuming it will be a good golf ball... 

Yeah,  I've been holding out hope for the new Kirkland 4 piece, but "early 2021" is fast passing us by so I've stopped holding my breath for it's release.  My concern with the current 3 piece is how much distance the extra spin is costing me (I think my diver tends to be a bit spinney), vs potential extra distance with the Gamer.  I'm not skilled enough to control spin at this point, so I pretty much expect some degree of rollout regardless of the ball.  That and I'm not great at distance control so my target tends to be middle of the green regardless of where the pin is.

For the record, I'm currently gaming the Kirkland and some used Srixon Q-Stars I picked up hoping to save some money.  But used balls make me nervous so I'd prefer a cost effective new ball.

• Like 1

Sto Pro Veritate

4 minutes ago, Girevik said:

Yeah,  I've been holding out hope for the new Kirkland 4 piece, but "early 2021" is fast passing us by so I've stopped holding my breath for it's release.  My concern with the current 3 piece is how much distance the extra spin is costing me (I think my diver tends to be a bit spinney), vs potential extra distance with the Gamer.  I'm not skilled enough to control spin at this point, so I pretty much expect some degree of rollout regardless of the ball.  That and I'm not great at distance control so my target tends to be middle of the green regardless of where the pin is.

For the record, I'm currently gaming the Kirkland and some used Srixon Q-Stars I picked up hoping to save some money.  But used balls make me nervous so I'd prefer a cost effective new ball.

I think the urethane is more for shorter chip shots than approach... and aiming for the middle / back of the green is a great strategy! Regardless of how good your game is...

id say just play whatever for now and see how the kirklands are when they come out.

As of 1/24/21

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with RipX

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-GW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I'm not a big hitter off the tee, so I don't have too many chips onto the green from the fairway.  My course is not very forgiving for missed greens so generating spin on a chip for those shots is tough regardless of ball.   At least for me.

I guess since it's not a huge price difference it may be worth giving a couple dozen of the Gamers a shot for now and seeing how it goes. 

Sto Pro Veritate

Why not try a few sleeves of different balls in your price range before buying a few dozen Top Flites?

You might stumble onto something you really like better...

Callaway Epic Max 10.5* Cypher 5.0

Titleist TS2 16.5* Kuro Kage R

Titleist TS2 19* & 21* Kuro Kage R

PXG 0211 5-G MMT 70

Titleist Vokey SM7 52F & 58M

Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.0

Titleist Hybrid 5 or Sun Mountain 2.5+

2 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

You can get Cut Blue and Grey for $20/dozen. 3 and 4 piece urethane.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic - Ping G30 3w - TaylorMade M6 3h - Maltby MCC Forged 4-PW - Maltby TSW Forged 52, 58 - Scotty Cameron California Coronado - Cut Blue

7 hours ago, john myrbch said:

Why not try a few sleeves of different balls in your price range before buying a few dozen Top Flites?

You might stumble onto something you really like better...

I said a "couple" dozen, not a few.  Dicks sells the Gamer at 2 for $35, or $23 for one so it's simply more cost effective to buy 2 dozen

• Like 1

Sto Pro Veritate

Basically I'm looking for the best ball (for me) in the $20 and under range ($15 would be better).  The only reason I'm considering getting away from the Ksig is the reported distance loss.  Unfortunately I still lose several balls a round so a sleeve of balls isn't enough to give me a good feel for them.

Sto Pro Veritate

I have played the above balls mentioned. You can't go wrong with either.

I recently switched to the Maxfli Softfli sold at Dicks.

The don't spin as much around the greens but I like the overall performance.

The are two dozen for $30.. If you try them and like them Dicks put them on sale for 3dozen for $30 through out the yr.

They come in five colors. I found one on the course and liked the performance. I bought 2 dozen of the matte white to hold me over. When they went on super sale I bought 6dozen. I got the gloss white and lime colors. 

I didn't think I would get into the lime color but it is my favorite color now. 

They also have a Distance ball but I get plenty of distance out of the Softfli.

Edited by Greenie
54 minutes ago, Greenie said:

I have played the above balls mentioned. You can't go wrong with either.

I recently switched to the Maxfli Softfli sold at Dicks.

The don't spin as much around the greens but I like the overall performance.

The are two dozen for $30.. If you try them and like them Dicks put them on sale for 3dozen for $30 through out the yr.

They come in five colors. I found one on the course and liked the performance. I bought 2 dozen of the matte white to hold me over. When they went on super sale I bought 6dozen. I got the gloss white and lime colors. 

I didn't think I would get into the lime color but it is my favorite color now. 

They also have a Distance ball but I get plenty of distance out of the Softfli.

My daughter sometimes plays the Softfli because she likes the pink color.  I think we may still have some in the basement.  How do they perform compared to the Ksig or Gamer?

Sto Pro Veritate

I don't know which model Gamers I've played. Not the most recent model. From what I would say is the Softfli plays closer to the Gamer.

The Ksig is a good ball with more spin. I understand why people like it. I'm not a ProV type of guy so the Ksig isn't my ball of choice but for the money it is a good value.

The Softfli gives me straighter shots off the tee, seems to give me good distance, elevates well and I like the feel. I would like more stopping power on the greens but this is where the ball is weak. 

I like Bridgestone balls the best. They give me the total package but at a higher price point.

Everyone has their own preference so the only way to find a ball for your game is try each one out. When I usually switch to a different ball it is because I find one, play it and go from there.

I  only mentioned the Softfli because when they are 3 doz for $30 it's tough to beat the price if you like the ball. 

15 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

This is what’s frustrating to me. There used to be a ton of urethane options around or under $20/dz. most have been discontinued or are on the way out. 

And I refuse to pay more than that for a non-urethan ball. 

srixon z star performance packs are my go-to now. If there was a Costco nearby I’d try those. 

Edited by gohatters
21 hours ago, damnisuck said:

You can get Cut Blue and Grey for $20/dozen. 3 and 4 piece urethane.

I can’t iterate enough, avoid the cut blue. They play well but are damaged in 2-3 holes. The cover just doesn’t hold up on wedges or even a stout 9. 

ksig is an interesting class of ball. The green package v1 3 pc are very spinny and nice in the short irons. A bit too spinny at high swing speed off the tee. I’m currrently testing the v2 (reddish? Packaging) and so far I’d think they lean towards more of a tour ball. I still prefer them in the short game off the tee but I think they balanced it out more. You really can’t beat them for the price and If you don’t like them, the return policy is stellar. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-G w/ KBS Tour | Epic Flash 3h w/ Tensei Silver

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line Center Shaft

Upgraded to the #ThreePuttPrince. 👑

I've played the KSig 3.1 and KSig 3.2, The new Gamer, etc..  The KSig 3.2 is an excellent ball.  If your SS is under 100-105 you're not going to lose distance, maybe only 5 yds...IF THAT.  The Gamers are a decent ball for what they are.  BEST bang for the buck is the KSig 3.2.  HOWEVER, I really like the Vice Tour.  If you have some people to partner up with they are $16.99/doz if you buy more than 5 doz.   I played the KSig 3.2 for 18 yesterday and enjoyed the round.  Anyone over a 10 handicap doesn't hit the ball consistently enough to notice any consistent distance loss off the tee.  If I get 12-14 driver swings a round and I get 7-10 good strikes where I'm driving the ball 245-270 (Carry + roll) I'm really happy.  Do you honestly think you stand there after hitting a 250 yd drive and say "Hmmm, I should have gotten another 5 yds on that".  If you could, I tip my hat to you.  For the vast majority of us if we hit a 250 yd drive we stand there smiling and saying "Dayum, I hit that nice.  Time for another cigar".  I play ALLOT of course along the coast and there is ALLOT of water.   I've lost as much as two sleeves not hitting the ball all that bad.  A few off strikes, a few bad bounces......ball in water.  At $12.50/dozen  I'll play the KSig 3.2 all day long.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, cardigan said:

Try Spalding SD Tour and SD Tour X if they are discounted at a Walmart near you (check on brickseek).  I've seen as low as $6 a dozen.  Also TP5 and TP5X practice go for around $19.99 a dozen.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1781357-wal-mart-markdown-spalding-tour-prov1-and-tour-x-v1x-balls-markdown-to-18-a-dozen/
https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1702832-new-urethane-balls-for-25dz/

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=994381395

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=704591228

I know there are a lot of deal opportunities,  but I want to have a regular ball I use all the time and not whatever happens to be on special at the time.  I have enough inconsistencies in my swing without having to worry about which ball I'm using. 

Sounds like sticking with the Ksig might be my best bet. 

• Like 1

Sto Pro Veritate

On 4/9/2021 at 6:53 PM, Myherobobhope said:

Kirkland is the best value but like you I'm an iron shorter with them and lose 10-20 yards on average off the tee compared to my gamer.  Top Flite Gamer is very underrated.  One of my golf buddies play them exclusively and gave me a sleeve to try.  Yes, it doesn't spin as much, but It's long.  It's not extremely firm as one might expect.  Price point isn't bad either. 

• Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

29 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Kirkland is the best value but like you I'm an iron shorter with them and lose 10-20 yards on average off the tee compared to my gamer.  Top Flite Gamer is very underrated.  One of my golf buddies play them exclusively and gave me a sleeve to try.  Yes, it doesn't spin as much, but It's long.  It's not extremely firm as one might expect.  Price point isn't bad either. 

Full disclosure,  I haven't been able to really do a comparison on distance loss; unless I'm on a monitor I can't really tell from one swing to the next if the ball was at fault or a less perfect impact.   I'm just a bit concerned by reports from others about distance loss.  I will say that a couple of my biggest drives have been with the Ksig. But what if I put that same swing in a different ball? 

Sto Pro Veritate

23 minutes ago, Girevik said:

Full disclosure,  I haven't been able to really do a comparison on distance loss; unless I'm on a monitor I can't really tell from one swing to the next if the ball was at fault or a less perfect impact.   I'm just a bit concerned by reports from others about distance loss.  I will say that a couple of my biggest drives have been with the Ksig. But what if I put that same swing in a different ball? 

I've compared the Kirkland to other balls I game.  No question it's shorter and I mean consistently shorter.  The TF Gamer is a distance ball when it's all said and done so it does what it claims.  If you're ok with less spin, I would recommend it over the Kirk's.  For me, I can deal with and adjust for less spin.  Distance loss, not so much. 

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

Just now, phizzy30 said:

I've compared the Kirkland to other balls I game.  No question it's shorter and I mean consistently shorter.  The TF Gamer is a distance ball when it's all said and done so it does what it claims.  If you're ok with less spin, I would recommend it over the Kirk's.  For me, I can deal with and adjust for less spin.  Distance loss, not so much. 

Have you tied the new V2 ball that came out late last fall?   Seems folks are reporting it's longer than its predecessor. 

• Like 1

Sto Pro Veritate

2 minutes ago, Girevik said:

Have you tied the new V2 ball that came out late last fall?   Seems folks are reporting it's longer than its predecessor. 

I have not. 

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

Until your distance dispersion is super consistent and you’re relying on stock yardages for carry purposes, you won’t notice the loss of yds. Someone who relies on specific features of their game ie: hop and stop, suck back in the short game, playing specific shot shapes for effect, etc.,  may be more particular and prefer a premium ball but in the budget category you won’t be disappointed. 

You’ll see a change in windy conditions or with some help from user error. A fade may be a little stronger than you expect vs a premium ball because the KS have a slight propensity to spin more. You’ll also see them balloon from time to time with headwind a bit more but frankly, in those situations I’m just happy the ball is on the fairway and didn’t take a detour. 

I’m around an 18-20hcp and shot a bold 86 (+14) rife with penalties on a pretty narrow, difficult, tree lined course alternating between a Chrome Soft X and the latest KS V2 this weekend and can’t attribute success for one hole another due to ball. There’s one 4iron that I can think of that fell short about 10y of my target and plugged in the high side of a bunker that may have benefitted from the premium ball but honestly, I’ll take a 196y 4i with cross/head wind all day. 

A friend of mine is an exclusive ProV1 player  and a 10hcp. He relies very much on specific shots he can make with that ball. I’m going to do a blackout test with him hopefully this week to see his thoughts. 

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-G w/ KBS Tour | Epic Flash 3h w/ Tensei Silver

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line Center Shaft

Upgraded to the #ThreePuttPrince. 👑

No insult intended because I am a horribly inconsistent hacker myself...

...but if you can't tell from one swing to the next whether a ball flew shorter or longer than normal and you're losing multiple balls per round then just buy the Kirkland. There is no way that sort of player can be said to lose performance from the purported few hundred rpm's of "excess" spin the 3pc Costco ball produces. And in every other way it's better than every ionomer covered ball in the world. 

If you're a Costco member, it's the best deal on the market. Don't pay attention to quibbles that amount to tiny fractions of performance under certain specific situations (i.e. spins too much into a strong headwind, loses a few yards off the driver for 105mph swingers, etc.)

P.S. I'm about as picky about golf balls as anyone I know but if I were losing a 4+ balls a round I'd just buy a Costco membership and stock up on the Kirkland balls. I'd probably be used to them after a dozen rounds and find them perfectly fine. Being a short and relatively straight hitter on a course where balls are easy to keep in play, I only lose a ball every round or two so I can play whatever I like regardless of cost. But I play alongside guys every day (including some whose handicap is half of mine) using the Kirkland balls and they couldn't be happier.

Edited by North Butte
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, North Butte said:

No insult intended because I am a horribly inconsistent hacker myself...

...but if you can't tell from one swing to the next whether a ball flew shorter or longer than normal and you're losing multiple balls per round then just buy the Kirkland. There is no way that sort of player can be said to lose performance from the purported few hundred rpm's of "excess" spin the 3pc Costco ball produces. And in every other way it's better than every ionomer covered ball in the world. 

If you're a Costco member, it's the best deal on the market. Don't pay attention to quibbles that amount to tiny fractions of performance under certain specific situations (i.e. spins too much into a strong headwind, loses a few yards off the driver for 105mph swingers, etc.)

P.S. I'm about as picky about golf balls as anyone I know but if I were losing a 4+ balls a round I'd just buy a Costco membership and stock up on the Kirkland balls. I'd probably be used to them after a dozen rounds and find them perfectly fine. Being a short and relatively straight hitter on a course where balls are easy to keep in play, I only lose a ball every round or two so I can play whatever I like regardless of cost. But I play alongside guys every day (including some whose handicap is half of mine) using the Kirkland balls and they couldn't be happier.

No insult taken.  I've been playing the Ksig for just that reason.  I'm in not way interested in paying for a premium ball, but am just keeping my eye open for something that might perform better for me at a comparable price.  Seems the general consensus here is that is NOT  the Gamer.

Edited by Girevik

Sto Pro Veritate

What are looking for in a ball other than price?  When you say you want a ball that might perform better for you, what exactly is that better performance? 

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

I'm just looking for a good, balanced ball.  My concern around the Kirkland was the reported loss of distance, so if I could find a ball that provides more distance without sacrificing too much in other areas, that would be great.   But from what I'm hearing any ball in this price range would be a modest distance gain for a major loss in greenside spin.

But, on the other hand, if there was a ball with comparable distance but with an advantage in some other area, maybe it flew straighter off the driver, I'd consider that as well. 

Sto Pro Veritate