2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

UST Frequency Filtered Putter Shaft

Gxgolfer

The all-new Frequency Filtered™ putter shaft is all about feel. And if you like to feel every putt, then you are about to feel real good. This radically new putter shaft is designed to significantly improve the ability of all golfers to perceive or feel where ball impact occurs on the face. This instantaneous feedback results in improved putting ability since the golfer learns to consistently stroke more putts on the sweet spot of the putter. Feel becomes clearer and so does the confidence to make solid contact to sink more putts.

The big idea is similar to the tuning performance of a quality digital stereo system. When listening to a radio, any static noise will interfere with the sound quality, but, when dialed-in, a good stereo system filters out the static noise and leaves only sounds that are meant to be heard. This is comparable to what happens with the Frequency Filtered™ putter shaft. There are many different types of vibrations that occur when a putt is struck. Some of these vibrations are always there, but don’t provide the player any useful feedback about the putt. Like tuning-out the static noise on a radio, the Frequency Filtered™ shaft filters out these ‘static noise’ vibrations, leaving only vibrations that provide feedback about how the putt was struck.

The feel factor was quantified by studying the vibration response characteristics of many putters. These vibration response characteristics were identified to be desirable or undesirable. The new Frequency Filtered™ putter shaft is designed to transmit the desirable characteristics and attenuate or filter the undesirable characteristics. Thus, the shaft's vibration characteristics have been specifically engineered to maximize good vibration feedback while minimizing bad vibrations. The resulting shaft product is not a mere damper that eradicates vibration. Highly dampened putter heads – either by face materials or shaft composites – are often numb, and do not allow the golfer to interpret the quality of ball impact. The objective of this new technology was not to remove all vibration response, but to help the golfer make consistent ball contact, and thus consistent ball role for greater accuracy and distance control.

Testing by following the time history plot details the vibration response of two putters through impact at their respective sweet spots. Standard modal impact test techniques were used along with a small PCB accelerometer attached to the shaft adjacent to the grip. The red trace was acquired from a putter equipped with a standard steel shaft while the black trace was acquired from a putter equipped with the Frequency Filtered™ shaft. The putters were identical except for the shaft. The same time and amplitude scales were applied to each trace. Both traces contain the identical modal information over a predetermined frequency range while the vibration response is very different across other frequency ranges. Hence certain vibration characteristics are allowed to pass while other vibration characteristics are attenuated.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played this shaft in my putter for two rounds as well as some practice putting.

In short the shaft works as advertised. The feedback seems sharper and clearer. You get a better idea if the putt was struck solidly or not. To really understand it you have to try it and if you try it you will be hooked.

Be advised that the graphite butt end will raise the swingweight a couple of points. Most players would consider this a good thing however.

I give it 5 out of 5 stars. Well worth the price and it works.

• 2 months later...

I've had one of these shafts for ages but never had a putter I stayed with long enough to throw it on. Finally I decided to stick to my ACIII and because of that I figured I'd dress it up a little. I pulled the shaft and installed a UST Frequency Filtered shaft along with a new Gripmaster Mahogany Leather pistol grip. I've only putted with it on the mat so far but it's so intriguing that I can't stop practicing with it.

The Cameron ACIII flange is although a new putter from Scotty, a very old design. There's no "new-fangle" at all to this putter. The sweetspot is very small in this putter and mishits are very harsh. With the USTFF shaft, the ACIII is tamed down. I get zero vibration through the shaft and actually feel the head contacting the ball. The feel that I've gained through adding this shaft is amazing. I know it's not actually occurring, but the feel I've gained makes it seem as if the ball is stuck to the face of the putter for a millisecond longer then without the USTFF. The feel is really that clean.

I highly suggest this shaft to everyone who has a present gamer and would like just a little more out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Spending a few hundred dollars on driver shafts for a club that is used at most 14 times a round, this seems to be a no brainer for a club that I use (unfortunately) on avg, 31 times a round. It does what it says it does. The feedback lets you know where you contact the ball on the face and through this you learn to putt better and hence hole more putts. Worth the money for me. Got it in my Yes Callie and Hiro Matsumoto Catamaran.

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01 - PRGR HD 14.5*/CarrysQ 16.5*/19* Crazy Boron Two Tree

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - PRGR CarrysQ 20*/24* COA U-294 Beretta
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

• 1 month later...

I guess I have a few questions about this shaft. Can someone show some pictures so I can see them installed? I have a few Odyssey 2-balls I would like to try them in but need to know do they come specific for different putters or do the installers have to bend shafts to match what was in there. Maybe stupid quetions but just havnt seen to many of these shafts in my area yet. Golfsmith has them and I wouldnt mind taking one to them and trying one out. Few pictures would help. Thanks guys!!

I just bought the shaft and I am having my good friend and certified club builder put it in my Odyssey 2 ball. It is the straight shaft that was needed not the bend. I have DFX 2 ball blade. I will put pictures up and review once I get it back on Monday the 11th. Thanks guys for all your help.

Ok second day with this shaft installed and I have to say I am impressed. UST matched up with I belive balance certified and got it right. Like a lot of people said it really gives you more feel. I am not going to say it is the putting savior but I can see this really helping the 2 - 12 handicaper. Putter feel is always the key and I think this is the real deal. I will get pictues of my putter soon.

• 5 months later...

Just put one in my SC Circa 62' and this thing delivers as advertised!!! Well worth the money as mentioned above... 5 stars without hesitation!!

Cobra King Ltd Black 10.5º - PX Hzrdous Black
Cobra F8+ 16º - Aldila  NV 2KXV Blue 
Cobra King Utility 18º - Recoil 780 es 
Cobra ACP mb 4-P -TT AMT T.I.
TM MG 50º - DG
TM MG 54º - DG
TM MG 58º - DG
TM Spider Tour Black

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Can this shaft be cut down or extended like a normal shaft? and are there any issues using it with a putter backweight like the tour lock?

It cuts down like any other shaft. A good club maker could also extend it for you. I've used it in the past with Balance Certified weights...no idea about tour locks.

Also, maybe asking this question in the putter forum or Club Makers section might get you more results instead of the Review forum. ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I love to tinker.... I dug up this old post....

I currently have lead tape on the bottom of my Scotty Circa 62 #6.... Anyone have this shaft in that head? Will be able to lose the tape after sapping?

TIA,

Lance

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1317777942' post='3626095']

I currently have lead tape on the bottom of my Scotty Circa 62 #6.... Anyone have this shaft in that head? Will be able to lose the tape after sapping?

TIA,

Lance
[/quote]

it does help (depending on grip as well)... I dont remember the exact SW difference though...sorry. I've been using the shaft on/off for a few years.. various tour camerons, 8802's etc. I using one in my Santa Fe Two TeI3.. love it so far.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

I play a PIng black-out with a few wraps... I might just order this and have it installed.... Thanks for info man.

[quote name='Johnny' timestamp='1317778231' post='3626125']
[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1317777942' post='3626095']

TIA,

Lance
[/quote]

it does help (depending on grip as well)... I dont remember the exact SW difference though...sorry. I've been using the shaft on/off for a few years.. various tour camerons, 8802's etc. I using one in my Santa Fe Two TeI3.. love it so far.
[/quote]

Mizuno Fli-Hi #4

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

What hosel size do I need for my Scotty Circa 62 #6?

Mizuno Fli-Hi #4

What size do I need to buy to fit this club? Thanks.

[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1317869523' post='3631971']
What hosel size do I need for my Scotty Circa 62 #6?
[/quote]

Mizuno Fli-Hi #4

.355 or .355T ?

Mizuno Fli-Hi #4