2021 US Women's Open, June 3-6

18majors

28 minutes ago, 18majors said:

A birdie hole finally?

I think it's birdie hole, maybe if you can hit the fairway and lay up to a good distance.  I don't have good hopes for Brooke on this hole hard to know exactly how it played out or whether she placed the ball to attempt the shot in the practice round but looking at the photo gallery from Tuesday they showed Brooke hitting from the front Bunker on 18, not sure if she went for it but she can get close to 320 if she gets a hold of one but I think that's a bad strategy, I guess we'll see in the tournament.

Anyone who knows this course have any info on the bunkers it looks like there's lot of sand and the soft fluffy variety.  Like I mention I seen Brooke make a bunker shot and also Yu Lui, it's hard to judge in a still photo exactly how it played out but the trajectory on both doesn't look like the bunker shots end well for either, are the bunkers at Olympic actual penalties if you end up in them?

Edited by Stooch

1 hour ago, Stooch said:

IMO the problem for the LPGA in this regard, is the US Open and the British Open would be the only events that could reach those purse sizes.  The big contracts these events get are for the Men's event and they use that money to feed the Women's prize pool.  Other events don't have this luxury and the math in regards to return on investment aren't there with the LPGA.

Tennis is a different animal, because their Majors and 1000 level events are co-sanctioned and thus are able to use the revenue generated by the Men to help the Women much more often.  You can't really run PGA and LPGA events simultaneously thus preventing the Men's game from helping lift the Women's game. 

Perhaps the PGA could toss some cash in with KPMG to help raise that purse but other events don't have the sponsors willing to fork out that type of cash and I don't think pressuring them would help, they would most likely spend those dollar advertising in something else with a better bang for the buck. Although with Central Banks globally having their printers go BRRRRRR, with inflationary pressures I won't be surprised to see LPGA purses go up by a million or so over the next few years.

LPGA needs to look East, as in the Middle East. They enjoy tossing around money for golf. Check out these LET events, Aramco is putting up crazy money as opposed to the normal LET only events.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Ladies_European_Tour

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 11:57 AM, Rustbelt said:

Popoff. Is that her Nickname now?😂

Seriously though, I always found match play to be so different from regular stroke play.  It is little difficult to see much relation between them.  I can definitely see Danielle Kang being a contender.  She has been playing well. 

🙂

There was an executive at the company I worked with named Popoff.   

He wore nice shoes.

He's burned into my mind.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 18majors said:

My sense is many players, win or lose, are proud to play the US Women's Open.  No different than many PGA players at Augusta National playing the Masters.

Everything is in place; I'm hopeful USGA will quickly bring the purse up to $10.0 million after they sign a presenting sponsor.

LPGA will truly arrive when that happens.

Isn't it publicly stated by the players themselves that the US Open IS their "Masters"... Thought id heard/recall some feeds/videos in the past...

I'm not 💯% sure about the above-mentioned statement (maybe my memory fails me)  but can vouch at least one who thinks that way, especially since she failed to qualify this year 😁

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

Isn't it publicly stated by the players themselves that the US Open IS their "Masters"... Thought id heard/recall some feeds/videos in the past...

I'm not 💯% sure about the above-mentioned statement (maybe my memory fails me)  but can vouch at least one who thinks that way, especially since she failed to qualify this year 😁

Well seeing the best women golfers in the world can't play on the Masters course (The so called Mecca of Golf), I think you're right lol  Although, I think KPMG/PGA event can catch it the next decade, the guy who sets up PGA Majors (his name escapes me) is brilliant and is head and shoulders above the USGA folks IMO.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Stooch said:

I was gonna say if @Supermilo can only take those little jabs at Bianca when she plays he'd never get to speak, then I thought that was below the belt 🙃😇

no offense taken.... besides, you guys know how much of an avid supporter of hers i am...  I've deviated from the topic now... apologies to the other readers haha

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Stooch said:

I think it's birdie hole, maybe if you can hit the fairway and lay up to a good distance.  I don't have good hopes for Brooke on this hole hard to know exactly how it played out or whether she placed the ball to attempt the shot in the practice round but looking at the photo gallery from Tuesday they showed Brooke hitting from the front Bunker on 18, not sure if she went for it but she can get close to 320 if she gets a hold of one but I think that's a bad strategy, I guess we'll see in the tournament.

Anyone who knows this course have any info on the bunkers it looks like there's lot of sand and the soft fluffy variety.  Like I mention I seen Brooke make a bunker shot and also Yu Lui, it's hard to judge in a still photo exactly how it played out but the trajectory on both doesn't look like the bunker shots end well for either, are the bunkers at Olympic actual penalties if you end up in them?

"More sand than I have ever seen before" is how someone described it.  She also mentioned that she didn't have to wiggle her feet much to firm up her stance as her feet started to sink into the sand a bit!  That was in reference to the bunkers on 18 greenside so not sure if the fairway bunkers play like that.

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Not a big surprise, but too bad when we're celebrating the USWO

So it is  2022 in Vancouver and 2023 for Ottawa... (I've really thought this would happen, even if BC was way better than Ontario, I never believed the Feds are competent enough in this pandemic)

Edited by HMHS
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Supermilo said:

So what happens now? 2022 in Vancouver and 2023 for Ottawa?  (I've really thought this would happen, even if BC was way better than Ontario, I never believed the Feds are competent enough in this pandemic)

Yeah the border things was always the issue, they probably should have waited a week cause the quarantine hotels (jails) constitutionality  is before the Supreme Court and judging by the judges statement and question, looks like it will be struck down but maybe cause of this there was pressure from up above to shut it down before that decision.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stooch said:

Yeah the border things was always the issue, they probably should have waited a week cause the quarantine hotels (jails) constitutionality  is before the Supreme Court and judging by the judges statement and question, looks like it will be struck down but maybe cause of this there was pressure from up above to shut it down before that decision.

seems like it -- never been fan of the Feds in how they handled all this pandemic (not saying Ford is great but the borders and hotel quarantines are not provincial decisions)... 

I stand corrected, Ottawa hosts 2022, BC is now moved from 2021 to 2023... Driving to Ottawa, that's for sure in 2022... heck i think michigan is closer (but of course, subject to border reopening, again, Fed's realm LOL )

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

So it is  2022 in Vancouver and 2023 for Ottawa... (I've really thought this would happen, even if BC was way better than Ontario, I never believed the Feds are competent enough in this pandemic)

No ... the press release indicates that Ottawa will host next year, then return to Shaughnessy in 2023.    The press release acknowledged that BC is ready for it given that we will be back to 100% as of September 4th  (i.e.: full concerts again, etc.).    

My suspicions are more along the lines of: 

a)  the poor spot on the calendar -- Playing the Women's British Open at Carnoustie then having the players jump on a plane to fly to Vancouver (which would be a 10-11 hour direct flight from Heathrow) and an 8 hour time difference ... only for the Europeans and Americans to head back to Inverness Sunday evening to play Solheim;  (implications for the field strength )

b)  the other would be the internal politics of Golf Canada and having a celebratory CP Women's Open played in Ottawa to mark post Covid19 instead of British Columbia;  and

c)  Golf Canada could not put enough of a plan in place to satisfy the border restrictions (as of now - but the border restrictions are looking to come off in July -- latest word out of Ottawa)  ... which should be a no-brainer especially if all players coming in had been fully vaccinated.  (LPGA issue)

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

seems like it -- never been fan of the Feds in how they handled all this pandemic (not saying Ford is great but the borders and hotel quarantines are not provincial decisions)... 

I stand corrected, Ottawa hosts 2022, BC is now moved from 2021 to 2023... Driving to Ottawa, that's for sure in 2022... heck i think michigan is closer (but of course, subject to border reopening, again, Fed's realm LOL )

Yeah, I'll show up in Ottawa, although I probably won't follow Brooke at all that week, the gallery will be nuts lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 18majors said:

@Stooch, @Supermilo

The contrast between the two neighboring countries just can't be more striking:

1. Canada did so much better than the US in 2020
  2. In 2021, COVID is no longer a hot topic in the US because of vaccine, but Canada sank deeper

It makes people wonder why the two countries couldn't join force to fight the pandemic together.

A couple of factors IMO, population density and total number and in 2020 US highly populated cities were hit like New York, Toronto wasn't really hit hard until 2021

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Stooch said:

A couple of factors IMO, population density and total number and in 2020 US highly populated cities were hit like New York, Toronto wasn't really hit hard until 2021

I think in Ontario, after the first wave, people and leaders became complacent... during the first wave, Ontario locked down big time and everyone seemed to be "behaving"... thereafter, well, lots of mixed messaging (from the leaders) and a lot of the citizenry became wary of the advice... 

here's a case that continues to befuddle me -- Astra Zeneca vaccine -- initial msg: "any vaccine is better than none", then "oh drats, can't use Astra for under 60".... then oh ok any vaccine is good again... then "no crap, can't use Astra for under 50... then finally, let's just not use Astra altogether... meanwhile lots have already been vaccinated with Astra's first dose... so how now? 

Thankfully, I have yet to be vaccinated (doing so this weekend) -- yup it's that long to go through proper regional channels... (I used my regional website rather than go shop around town like the Hunger games)...  PS I made sure my vaccination was this weekend to ease the pain of missing the US Open field (kidding!)

Edited by HMHS
  • Like 1

I think in Ontario, after the first wave, people and leaders became complacent... during the first wave, Ontario locked down big time and everyone seemed to be "behaving"... thereafter, well, lots of mixed messaging (from the leaders) and a lot of the citizenry became wary of the advice... 

here's a case that continues to befuddle me -- Astra Zeneca vaccine -- initial msg: "any vaccine is better than none", then "oh drats, can't use Astra for under 60".... then oh ok any vaccine is good again... then "no crap, can't use Astra for under 50... then finally, let's just not use Astra altogether... meanwhile lots have already been vaccinated with Astra's first dose... so how now? 

Thankfully, I have yet to be vaccinated (doing so this weekend) -- yup it's that long to go through proper regional channels... (I used my regional website rather than go shop around town like the Hunger games)... 

Meanwhile data now supports the use of AZ first and then mRNA's for second

Thankfully, I have yet to be vaccinated (doing so this weekend) -- yup it's that long to go through proper regional channels... (I used my regional website rather than go shop around town like the Hunger games)... 

I spent a great amount of time researching the vaccines and went in the other dat to set up my appointment, but I told them I would only take the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, the said they don't have any but do have Moderna, I said no thanks, she was like I not sure we'll get any, then I replied well I'm not sure I'm gonna get vaccinated then lol you should have seen the look on her face.

• Haha 1

I recorded Live From earlier and have it on, they're devoting a long segment to Michelle Wie West.  They're showing her practice putting on the 4th hole while the talking heads go on about various things Wie West ... and she hasn't come close to making one yet.  Yikes.

Edit:  Oh, she finally rolled one "in".  Phew.

Edited by postfold
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, elwhippy said:

Be interesting so see how firm the greens are. And how narrow the fairways are. A shame the better course over the road has no interest to hosting professional events. 

Fairways aren’t super narrow because they are quite soft.  Greens on the other hand are very firm. Especially at the trajectory and spin rates the ladies have