2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2021 US Women's Open, June 3-6

18majors

6 hours ago, KBong said:

“Yeah, of course it’s tough,” she said. “I really didn’t feel like I hit any bad golf shots. That’s what this golf course can do to you, and that’s what I’ve said all week.”

This what Lexi said in the article.
WTH....man is Lexi delusional....she hit more than her fair share of BAD shots and putts to lose her 5 shot lead.

I also have golf friends who say the same thing time and time again after bad shots...it's so hilarious.

Jack Nicklaus said he never hit a bad shot. It’s part of the mental game. Have to let those go immediately  

5 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

Yuka Saso is a Japanese name ... so it can be spelled easily with Kanji or Traditional Chinese characters.  Katakana is actually a brilliant system as it seems to me to be a "phonetic" spelling of  foreign words ...it used to be in the Chinese language, if they had a foreign word, they would just spell it in English but the Japanese system allowed them to say the foreign word using Katakana.

It is exactly a phonetic system for non Japanese words. It is pretty cool and easily distinguishable in writing as well. 

6 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

Ahem ... she found out when an eagle-eyed golf editor/writer congratulated her on qualifying.

Why'd you think I'm in this forum? I just get info here... Haha  

Some of the players themselves dunno what they're status is, you guys know if they're playing a tournament more than the players themselves... (I just try to help out some of them with  things like that and share info of them that's share-able) You guys know who you are lol... Thanks for helping out...

Edited by HMHS
  • Haha 1

@18majors @Stooch @Argonne69

My last "Who is Yuka Saso" post for this year's  USWO...😂😂😂

(This time with the answer) see below. I'm gunning for 3/3 in 2022.. ALK, YS... I better continue to scour these KLPGA JLPGA leagues...

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/us-womens-open-2021-winner-yuka-saso-things-you-need-to-know

• Haha 1

What's incredible is the level of success (i.e. great talent) Lexi has enjoyed considering her history of "non physical" health issues.

Driver: Ping G430 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Ventus (Velocore) Red 5S
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
9 Wood: Ping G430 Max (23 Degree) - CB Alta Black 65S 

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

Titleist T150 8-PW KBS $ Taper (115)  

Titleist T200 6/7 KBS $ Taper (115)

Vokey (49/53) Degree) SM8 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

Lots of negativity here towards Lexi.   All I know is golf is hard, yet she gave her all.   I'm sad for her.  I hope to see her in the winner's circle soon.

Also lots of negativity for NBC / TGC.   I don't see it.   I'm generally not too patient with dumb announcers, but nothing rang my bell much on this tourney.

Yuka is very reserved.   She comes across as too guarded, perhaps even a bit aloof.   Yet some of the videos caught her being the kind of person we'd all like to hang with.  I haven't been a fan, but I am now.

It was a great tournament.   I really appreciated uninterrupted coverage.   That was cool

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Lobby said:

Lots of negativity here towards Lexi.   All I know is golf is hard, yet she gave her all.   I'm sad for her.  I hope to see her in the winner's circle soon.

Also lots of negativity for NBC / TGC.   I don't see it.   I'm generally not too patient with dumb announcers, but nothing rang my bell much on this tourney.

Yuka is very reserved.   She comes across as too guarded, perhaps even a bit aloof.   Yet some of the videos caught her being the kind of person we'd all like to hang with.  I haven't been a fan, but I am now.

It was a great tournament.   I really appreciated uninterrupted coverage.   That was cool

She isn't as affable as Bianca. But she's very respectful and her mother taught her well in terms of values... 

Hard not to root for her indeed, esp when my numero uno horse is her "countrywoman" and now my horse truly has to play 2nd fiddle to Yuka in the LPGA. Still, I'm loyal to a fault... For now #labanpilipinas 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

Hard not to root for her indeed, esp when my numero uno horse is her "countrywoman" and now my horse truly has to play 2nd fiddle to Yuka in the LPGA. Still, I'm loyal to a fault... For now #labanpilipinas 

I understand.

We became a fan for idiosyncratic reasons.  Our favorites may not be the best, the richest, the strongest or the prettiest, but they're our favorites.  We stay a fan forever, no sun or rain or anything can change that.

We're happy when our favorites do well and sad when they don't; but we'll never abandon them.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Stooch said:

The one thing I'll say for Yuka, she might be lucky Ha Na Jang didn't make the trip over.  Ha Na (outside a couple WD) hasn't finished outside the top 10, since August 2020 and she won this week in Korea, she seems to be on an incredible heater, she should have come over and gave it a shot lol

She has talked about possibly coming back.  LPGA's loss is KLPGA's gain. 

• Like 2

Lexi just needed 2 wedge shots to win this. If she doesn't chunk the chip on 11 and can put a serviceable approach on the green at 18 she's probably saving 2 strokes right there. 

Easy to sayin hindsight but I don't think she's got anything to apologize for in terms of driving or putting. She just needed to hit slightly better wedges. 

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

43 minutes ago, 8602081 said:

Most people have very high expectation from Lexi..  She has so much talent, enough to dominate..

She's 4th on the LPGA in driving distance, hits fairways 3/4 of the time, and is 8th in GIR.

She should be winning 5 times a season on the LPGA.  Its hard to believe she's one just once since 2019.

Lexi seems to be the LPGA version of Dustin Johnson.  Until DJ seriously took getting good with a wedge and average to slightly above average with the putter, he didn't win regularly on Tour.  He's now the top ranked player in the world.  Kinda surprised with the family Lexi has that she isn't better than she is with a wedge and putter.  The putting strokes on 17 and 18 were so bad.  To leave a 12-foot downhill putt to stay in a playoff some 3 feet short....oof.

Its hard to win on any Tour and to close out any golf tournament, but its hard to fathom how a player of her stature seems to have so much trouble closing the deal.  She'll feel better mentally if she would get her short game up to par, because she'll win a lot more.

Edited by JaNelson38
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, 8602081 said:

Most people have very high expectation from Lexi..  She has so much talent, enough to dominate..

If part of "golf talent" is at least average short game and putting then Lexi does not have enough talent to dominate.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

17 hours ago, stingerfade said:

Japan doesn’t allow dual citizenship 

I couldn't let this go simply bec by next year I have a very strong inkling Yuka will represent Japan (heck maybe even after the Olympics)... so the Philippines is "on borrowed" time with Yuka...  But, it is what it is... Can't blame Yuka - Japan is the better more logical choice.    For now the Philippines has one major winner in professional golf.  I'll take it ☺︎     

You guys know more about citizenship etc in Japan, but again, it just makes sense for her to "turn Japanese"! I really think so! 😛 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

You guys know more about citizenship etc in Japan, but again, it just makes sense for her to "turn Japanese"! I really think so! 😛 

Yuka needs only to look at Naomi Osaka, the highest paid female athlete in the world who made $55.2 million last year.

Similar to Yuka, Naomi was born in Japan to a Haitian father and a Japanese mother.  Naomi has lived and trained in the US since age 3 but chosen to use her mother's last name and Japan nationality.

Almost $50.0 million of Naomi's income is from endorsements; many from giant Japanese Corporations.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, 8602081 said:

I do not agree with "enough to dominate" statement.  When the pressure is on, his or her weaknesses show up.  I do not believe there is a greater pressure in golf than back 9 of the final round at majors.  Lexi Thompson has glaring weaknesses with putting and chipping as shown yesterday.  She should work on those even if she needs to sacrifice her driving.  She has plenty of distance off the tee.  

She reminds me of a tennis player who has a big serve and forehand but cannot do much when those do not work.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

I couldn't let this go simply bec by next year I have a very strong inkling Yuka will represent Japan (heck maybe even after the Olympics)... so the Philippines is "on borrowed" time with Yuka...  But, it is what it is... Can't blame Yuka - Japan is the better more logical choice.    For now the Philippines has one major winner in professional golf.  I'll take it ☺︎     

As stated before you can be dual citizen until age 22. Then you have to choose to be a Japanese citizen or not. Definitely more lucrative in the Japanese market for endorsements and everything but money isn‘t everything, right? 🙂

depends where her heart lies. She’s only 19?? Plus she speaks fluent Japanese growing up there so can handle the intense media there 

Edited by stingerfade
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rustbelt said:

I do not agree with "enough to dominate" statement.  When the pressure is on, his or her weaknesses show up.  I do not believe there is a greater pressure in golf than back 9 of the final round at majors.  Lexi Thompson has glaring weaknesses with putting and chipping as shown yesterday.  She should work on those even if she needs to sacrifice her driving.  She has plenty of distance off the tee.  

She reminds me of a tennis player who has a big serve and forehand but cannot do much when those do not work.  

It's also very easy for a fan to say that at this moment in time when the very last thing that happened was yesterday's US Open collapse. We can sit and act like the only thing that matters is what happened yesterday but it's not. 

In reality, she already validated her career with a major title. Certainly she wants to add more but everything from here on is icing on the cake. She could retire and feel proud. 

She knows she'll win more tournaments. She knows she'll continue to be one of the highest-ranked Americans in women's golf. The idea that she wants to re-invent herself is naive. Her game produced a lead that got her to the final group in a major on Sunday. To suggest her approach isn't effective would be wrong. Clearly, she knows what she's doing. 

She needs to tighten up her wedge game. That's about it. She's worked really hard on her putting in the last couple years and it shows. 

• Like 3

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Saso won me over as a fan with this comment in the interview (also great she was doing it in three languages):

But Saso had been responding to Hataoka’s putt, and when it fell short, she looked more disappointed than her opponent. After prevailing on the first hole of sudden death — the third playoff hole — when her own birdie putt dropped, Saso, 19, explained her reaction.

“I just don’t want to be selfish,” Saso said. “Everyone here is a great player. If it’s their time, it’s their time, if it’s my time, it’s my time. I just want to cheer everybody.”

So nice to see professional athletes not taunting, beating their chest, and generally acting like douchebags.

• Like 1

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

9 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

It's also very easy for a fan to say that at this moment in time when the very last thing that happened was yesterday's US Open collapse. We can sit and act like the only thing that matters is what happened yesterday but it's not. 

In reality, she already validated her career with a major title. Certainly she wants to add more but everything from here on is icing on the cake. She could retire and feel proud. 

She knows she'll win more tournaments. She knows she'll continue to be one of the highest-ranked Americans in women's golf. The idea that she wants to re-invent herself is naive. Her game produced a lead that got her to the final group in a major on Sunday. To suggest her approach isn't effective would be wrong. Clearly, she knows what she's doing. 

She needs to tighten up her wedge game. That's about it. She's worked really hard on her putting in the last couple years and it shows. 

I agree with everything you said here.  My post was saying "enough to dominate" is not correct.  If she wants to dominate, her short game needs to be revamped.  No way she can dominate otherwise. 

14 minutes ago, stingerfade said:

As stated before you can be dual citizen until age 22. Then you have to choose to be a Japanese citizen or not. Definitely more lucrative in the Japanese market for endorsements and everything but money isn‘t everything, right? 🙂

depends where her heart lies. She’s only 19?? Plus she speaks fluent Japanese growing up there so can handle the intense media there 

it isn't everything but for budding, starting LPGA players it most likely is... knowing what I know of them, it is tough NOT to go for Japan citizenship even before 22 yrs...    let's see where her heart lies esp after the $1MM paycheck from the US Open - Methinks it's the father running the show though - no diff than Brooke - but that's a whole diff can of worms that'll rile up others here haha...     

4 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

it isn't everything but for budding, starting LPGA players it most likely is... knowing what I know of them, it is tough NOT to go for Japan citizenship even before 22 yrs...    let's see where her heart lies esp after the $1MM paycheck from the US Open - Methinks it's the father running the show though - no diff than Brooke - but that's a whole diff can of worms that'll rile up others here haha...     

Brooke is 23 years old, I put no blame on her Dad for anything she decides.  Although I'm betting Brooke herself is as stubborn as a mule lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1