Jumbo grips.... only thing that cures my hook?

I’ve gotten down as low as a 6.2(now 7.6) but have been battling a hook, especially off the tee.

I’ve tried to hit fades, and I can, it just feels horrible to swing left with an open face. I feel like I can’t throw the club like I want to.

I decided to try some jumbo grips and it IMMEDIATELY cured my hook. This is not placebo, many swings on and off the course. I can finally feel like I can actually swing freely and try to rip driver instead of swinging tentatively.

Ive been using a Jumbomax medium grip for my driver(I wear medium-large gloves) and regular jumbos for every other club.

Here is a video of my swing, I don’t really see anything that jumps out and says “dude that swing can only lead to a hook”.

I think I swing pretty on-plane, but My hands just like to turn over too much.

Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_1696.mov

Edited by Three_Jack
  • Like 1

@Three_Jack Very cool.  I asked because the other models are heavy, and create a counterweight effect, which I've really grown to like in my driver.  I have a Ping G400 Max with the ALTA CW shaft and the Jmax MD wrap.  Last week, I picked up a TM M5 with a Tensei Orange, and threw on a Winn Dri Tac oversize as a quick fix on vacation.  Now, trying to decide whether to throw on an Ultralite or move to a Tour model in this one.  Leading toward the Tour model given how the wrap has worked with the Max...

Good swing but that’s definitely a hook swing pattern.  Long backswing, Early fire of right knee and hip, right elbow trailing right knee by a fair amount.

Look how high the heel is off the ground compared to most good players. 

Edited by MonteScheinblum

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

@MonteScheinblum

Thanks for the feedback!

So I walk on my toes quite often and if I am trying to do squats I have to have weight lifting shoes with really high heels otherwise I lose my balance.

These are signs I have really poor ankle mobility. Do you think it’s possible that my hip isn’t moving that poorly but my heel comes off the ground do to just poor mobility? Is this something you’ve ever explored?

This early heel lifting has been something I’ve been trying to get rid of for a long time. But as of late I kinda just gave up focusing on it.

That’s not it.  Backswing is long and Right hip and knee fire early and out.  That’s a recipe for a hook.

Your backswing has several frames where the body is done and your arms keep going.

Your right hip and knee crash a vertical line up from your right toes.

Both recipes for hooks.

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

15 minutes ago, DShepley said:

Just curious, what makes this guy not be a hook monster with that early heel lift? If @Three_Jack had a path more left would the heel be a problem?

Screenshot_20210411-180105_Samsung Internet.jpg

Short answer is there are always exceptions in elite players who “figure it out.”  Many issues.  More vertical arm and hand path, better and more open pivot, no arm over run, etc.

It would be really hard for his hand path to get more left unless he shortened his arm swing.

• Like 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

1 hour ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Short answer is there are always exceptions in elite players who “figure it out.”  Many issues.  More vertical arm and hand path, better and more open pivot, no arm over run, etc.

It would be really hard for his hand path to get more left unless he shortened his arm swing.

So if he found a more left path, would you worry about the early heel lift? I lift my heel early as well but struggled being dumped under and shallow. When I have a steeper downswing, my path improves and ball striking also improves but I still end up with early heel lift. It's not a huge problem if the ball behaves.

6 minutes ago, DShepley said:

So if he found a more left path, would you worry about the early heel lift? I lift my heel early as well but struggled being dumped under and shallow. When I have a steeper downswing, my path improves and ball striking also improves but I still end up with early heel lift. It's not a huge problem if the ball behaves.

Might find this off interest on jt’s swing and what that heel lift does for him

shauheen’s take:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuXCQByAUWN/

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

45 minutes ago, glk said:

Might find this off interest on jt’s swing and what that heel lift does for him

shauheen’s take:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuXCQByAUWN/

He’s 100% correct.  If the early lift is part of the matched pattern it’s fine, but if it’s not, it’s problematic.  He matches up and changing it is a terrible idea, but most don’t and there’s a reason you don’t see this too often in elite players.  

Finding one elite golfer who makes it work actually proves the rule rather than disproves it.

• Like 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

50 minutes ago, DShepley said:

Like I said, the swing in it’s current state, moving the path left will be hard.  The early lift in and of itself is not The issue.  The poor sequencing is.  Long arm swing and early firing of the right hip and knee out don’t match up.  It’s a hook waiting to happen.

• Like 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

2 hours ago, DShepley said:

I have the same issue of getting dumped under and ending up super shallow.

Monte has also hit it on the nail that one of my issues is that my right hip and right knee shoot out early. 

I’m curious as to what your specific feel or swing thought is to get more steep to help neutralize the path? 

TaylorMade Qi10 9 - Hzrdus Smoke Hulk 70 TX

Taylormade Qi10 15 - Ventus TR Black 8X

Ping G430 4 & 5 Hybrid - Accra TZ5 95 HY M5

Titleist T150 5- PW DGTI Mid X100

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 48,52,56, 60 Oban CT 125X

Scotty Cameron X5 (Knuckle LongNeck Conversion)

28 minutes ago, EDWARDSR said:

I have the same issue of getting dumped under and ending up super shallow.

Monte has also hit it on the nail that one of my issues is that my right hip and right knee shoot out early. 

I’m curious as to what your specific feel or swing thought is to get more steep to help neutralize the path? 

I feel like I'm adding steep to the shaft if that makes sense. I want my right shoulder to move towards the target line before it moves down.  This is how it feels to me. It feels like my shaft is moving over my backswing plane. Now, take it with a grain of salt because I tend to roll the shaft inside on my backswing so need to feel it steeper on the way to the ball. I like to feel like I'm hitting a cut but in reality it just makes my path more neutral. 

• Like 1

Love my CP2 Jumbo grips.... basic physics says you will rotate head less with same hand rotation then with small grips, heads more stable.  Works for my strong grip and flappin thru vs rotating.  Plus way more comfortable and small grips feel like a childs grip now lol

• Like 1

Can't figure how to like my own posts

On 4/11/2021 at 3:47 PM, MonteScheinblum said:

That’s not it.  Backswing is long and Right hip and knee fire early and out.  That’s a recipe for a hook.

Your backswing has several frames where the body is done and your arms keep going.

Your right hip and knee crash a vertical line up from your right toes.

Both recipes for hooks.

OMG, I suffer from the same things as OP but am a left-handed golfer (I walk on my toes as well as people call me "Tippy Toes"). Is there any specific drill that you could recommend to help this issues?

Thanks

This drill helps a lot of people deal with it.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNQGPyRjUEc/?igshid=d2l0sz8cua4s

BERTRAND RUSSELL

My intent with this swing was to squat down. Like I mentioned before when I squat heavy weight, I lose balance unless I have something under my heel(like a weight or weight lifting shoes).

You can definitely see me lowering and gaining flex in both knees to start the downswing, yet my right heel starts lifting up.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out, then other than the "squat move" I don't think about my lower body AT ALL. I think about the "2nd cast" in Monte's cast drill and that's it. 

I can take a swing and keep my trail heel on the ground, but I literally have to think about holding my hip back and I can't do it with any speed.

IMG_1700.mov

Edited by Three_Jack

2 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

This drill helps a lot of people deal with it.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNQGPyRjUEc/?igshid=d2l0sz8cua4s

Monte-

When would you prescribe the basket drill, and when would you work with the player more on bumping their hips laterally?

Both delay the hips for us ballerina types, but was wondering when each solution is more applicable. I spin out harder with longer irons and I've struggled to find a solution that allows me to get my hands down. I can get there with a training aid (Stick through belt loops) but things like Justin Rose rehearsals etc haven't been able to help me after 2+ months of consistent effort. 

3 hours ago, Three_Jack said:

My intent with this swing was to squat down. Like I mentioned before when I squat heavy weight, I lose balance unless I have something under my heel(like a weight or weight lifting shoes).

You can definitely see me lowering and gaining flex in both knees to start the downswing, yet my right heel starts lifting up.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out, then other than the "squat move" I don't think about my lower body AT ALL. I think about the "2nd cast" in Monte's cast drill and that's it. 

I can take a swing and keep my trail heel on the ground, but I literally have to think about holding my hip back and I can't do it with any speed.

IMG_1700.mov 21.16 MB · 10 downloads

Need to focus on improving backswing .   Your left arm gets disconnected early, you flatten shaft going back and body and arms are out of synch., right arm bends too much.   You do a good job compensating in downswing but you aren’t likely to compensate yourself into a better swing nor will focusing on right hip kicking out early. 

As monte said , poor sequencing - fixing it starts with get takeaway/backswing arms/body in synch.    Get yourself in position so those comps aren’t needed and arms/pivot are sequenced.   Might consider an online live lesson with monte.

Edited by glk

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

I have the jumbomax lite mediums and this was not a long term cure for hooks for me. I suspect your underlying swing will eventually adapt to the larger grips and the hook might return. Don’t rely on the grips, work on the swing. Good luck!

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2021 at 11:18 AM, Barfolomew said:

Love my CP2 Jumbo grips.... basic physics says you will rotate head less with same hand rotation then with small grips, heads more stable.  Works for my strong grip and flappin thru vs rotating.  Plus way more comfortable and small grips feel like a childs grip now lol

100%. 

I went Jumbo on my driver and basically got rid of the hook, can fade it more easily and added at least 10 yards.  

I’m 6’4”, 245 lbs and not jacked by any means but also not weak - I put a fair bit of force into the driver.   “Jumbo” sized grips give you the confidence to really lean into the ball (coupled with a shaft that’s fitted).  

Kicking myself for not trying this simple change earlier in my playing days - driving the ball longer and straighter now than I ever did back when I was playing in college.  

• Like 1

I've been using the JumboMax JMX UltraLight for about 9 months now and really like them.  They help prevent me from over-drawing/hooking shots without me missing a ton of shots to the right.  It has nicely tightened up the shot dispersion.

About 5 years ago I tried the JumboMax original wrap grips and hated them. Hit everything high and right.  But with the JMX UltraLight that hasn't been a problem.  A friend of mine is a clubfitter and says that across the board for players that tend to hit hooks it works very well for them.  But if you're a slicer he suggests avoiding them like the plague.

I've gotten rid of the JumboMax on my 56* and 60* wedges.  I had a difficult time getting the feel for the yardages with chips, pitches and less than full swings.  Often times the ball would fly much further than I was expecting.

But overall, if you can find some JumboMax grips that suit you they can be very effective.  They're not for everybody...but I think a lot of people would be surprised how well they play.

RH

• Like 2