Jumbo grips.... only thing that cures my hook?

I’ve gotten down as low as a 6.2(now 7.6) but have been battling a hook, especially off the tee.

I’ve tried to hit fades, and I can, it just feels horrible to swing left with an open face. I feel like I can’t throw the club like I want to.

I decided to try some jumbo grips and it IMMEDIATELY cured my hook. This is not placebo, many swings on and off the course. I can finally feel like I can actually swing freely and try to rip driver instead of swinging tentatively.

Ive been using a Jumbomax medium grip for my driver(I wear medium-large gloves) and regular jumbos for every other club.

Here is a video of my swing, I don’t really see anything that jumps out and says “dude that swing can only lead to a hook”.

I think I swing pretty on-plane, but My hands just like to turn over too much.

Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_1696.mov

Edited by Three_Jack
  • Like 1
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve gotten down as low as a 6.2(now 7.6) but have been battling a hook, especially off the tee.   I’ve tried to hit fades, and I can, it just feels horrible to swing left with an open face.

@games Been using the Ultra-lite Medium for driver. Turned a hook into a slight fade. Have had about 100 swings on the range and played 7ish rounds with it and literally have not seen 1 hook. It feels

Short answer is there are always exceptions in elite players who “figure it out.”  Many issues.  More vertical arm and hand path, better and more open pivot, no arm over run, etc.   It would

Posted Images

@Three_Jack Very cool.  I asked because the other models are heavy, and create a counterweight effect, which I've really grown to like in my driver.  I have a Ping G400 Max with the ALTA CW shaft and the Jmax MD wrap.  Last week, I picked up a TM M5 with a Tensei Orange, and threw on a Winn Dri Tac oversize as a quick fix on vacation.  Now, trying to decide whether to throw on an Ultralite or move to a Tour model in this one.  Leading toward the Tour model given how the wrap has worked with the Max...

@MonteScheinblum

Thanks for the feedback!

So I walk on my toes quite often and if I am trying to do squats I have to have weight lifting shoes with really high heels otherwise I lose my balance.

These are signs I have really poor ankle mobility. Do you think it’s possible that my hip isn’t moving that poorly but my heel comes off the ground do to just poor mobility? Is this something you’ve ever explored?

This early heel lifting has been something I’ve been trying to get rid of for a long time. But as of late I kinda just gave up focusing on it.

That’s not it.  Backswing is long and Right hip and knee fire early and out.  That’s a recipe for a hook.

Your backswing has several frames where the body is done and your arms keep going.

Your right hip and knee crash a vertical line up from your right toes.

Both recipes for hooks.

Edited by MonteScheinblum
15 minutes ago, DShepley said:

Just curious, what makes this guy not be a hook monster with that early heel lift? If @Three_Jack had a path more left would the heel be a problem?

Screenshot_20210411-180105_Samsung Internet.jpg

Short answer is there are always exceptions in elite players who “figure it out.”  Many issues.  More vertical arm and hand path, better and more open pivot, no arm over run, etc.

It would be really hard for his hand path to get more left unless he shortened his arm swing.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Short answer is there are always exceptions in elite players who “figure it out.”  Many issues.  More vertical arm and hand path, better and more open pivot, no arm over run, etc.

It would be really hard for his hand path to get more left unless he shortened his arm swing.

So if he found a more left path, would you worry about the early heel lift? I lift my heel early as well but struggled being dumped under and shallow. When I have a steeper downswing, my path improves and ball striking also improves but I still end up with early heel lift. It's not a huge problem if the ball behaves.

6 minutes ago, DShepley said:

So if he found a more left path, would you worry about the early heel lift? I lift my heel early as well but struggled being dumped under and shallow. When I have a steeper downswing, my path improves and ball striking also improves but I still end up with early heel lift. It's not a huge problem if the ball behaves.

Might find this off interest on jt’s swing and what that heel lift does for him

shauheen’s take:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuXCQByAUWN/

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

Laugh-a while you can, monkey boy.
Enjoy every sandwich

45 minutes ago, glk said:

Might find this off interest on jt’s swing and what that heel lift does for him

shauheen’s take:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuXCQByAUWN/

He’s 100% correct.  If the early lift is part of the matched pattern it’s fine, but if it’s not, it’s problematic.  He matches up and changing it is a terrible idea, but most don’t and there’s a reason you don’t see this too often in elite players.  

Finding one elite golfer who makes it work actually proves the rule rather than disproves it.

Edited by MonteScheinblum
  • Like 1
50 minutes ago, DShepley said:

Like I said, the swing in it’s current state, moving the path left will be hard.  The early lift in and of itself is not The issue.  The poor sequencing is.  Long arm swing and early firing of the right hip and knee out don’t match up.  It’s a hook waiting to happen.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DShepley said:

I have the same issue of getting dumped under and ending up super shallow.

Monte has also hit it on the nail that one of my issues is that my right hip and right knee shoot out early. 

I’m curious as to what your specific feel or swing thought is to get more steep to help neutralize the path? 

28 minutes ago, EDWARDSR said:

I have the same issue of getting dumped under and ending up super shallow.

Monte has also hit it on the nail that one of my issues is that my right hip and right knee shoot out early. 

I’m curious as to what your specific feel or swing thought is to get more steep to help neutralize the path? 

I feel like I'm adding steep to the shaft if that makes sense. I want my right shoulder to move towards the target line before it moves down.  This is how it feels to me. It feels like my shaft is moving over my backswing plane. Now, take it with a grain of salt because I tend to roll the shaft inside on my backswing so need to feel it steeper on the way to the ball. I like to feel like I'm hitting a cut but in reality it just makes my path more neutral. 

• Like 1
On 4/11/2021 at 3:47 PM, MonteScheinblum said:

That’s not it.  Backswing is long and Right hip and knee fire early and out.  That’s a recipe for a hook.

Your backswing has several frames where the body is done and your arms keep going.

Your right hip and knee crash a vertical line up from your right toes.

Both recipes for hooks.

OMG, I suffer from the same things as OP but am a left-handed golfer (I walk on my toes as well as people call me "Tippy Toes"). Is there any specific drill that you could recommend to help this issues?

Thanks

Posted (edited)

My intent with this swing was to squat down. Like I mentioned before when I squat heavy weight, I lose balance unless I have something under my heel(like a weight or weight lifting shoes).

You can definitely see me lowering and gaining flex in both knees to start the downswing, yet my right heel starts lifting up.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out, then other than the "squat move" I don't think about my lower body AT ALL. I think about the "2nd cast" in Monte's cast drill and that's it. 

I can take a swing and keep my trail heel on the ground, but I literally have to think about holding my hip back and I can't do it with any speed.

IMG_1700.mov

Edited by Three_Jack
2 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

This drill helps a lot of people deal with it.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNQGPyRjUEc/?igshid=d2l0sz8cua4s

Monte-

When would you prescribe the basket drill, and when would you work with the player more on bumping their hips laterally?

Both delay the hips for us ballerina types, but was wondering when each solution is more applicable. I spin out harder with longer irons and I've struggled to find a solution that allows me to get my hands down. I can get there with a training aid (Stick through belt loops) but things like Justin Rose rehearsals etc haven't been able to help me after 2+ months of consistent effort. 

3 hours ago, Three_Jack said:

My intent with this swing was to squat down. Like I mentioned before when I squat heavy weight, I lose balance unless I have something under my heel(like a weight or weight lifting shoes).

You can definitely see me lowering and gaining flex in both knees to start the downswing, yet my right heel starts lifting up.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out, then other than the "squat move" I don't think about my lower body AT ALL. I think about the "2nd cast" in Monte's cast drill and that's it. 

I can take a swing and keep my trail heel on the ground, but I literally have to think about holding my hip back and I can't do it with any speed.

IMG_1700.mov 21.16 MB · 10 downloads

Need to focus on improving backswing .   Your left arm gets disconnected early, you flatten shaft going back and body and arms are out of synch., right arm bends too much.   You do a good job compensating in downswing but you aren’t likely to compensate yourself into a better swing nor will focusing on right hip kicking out early. 

As monte said , poor sequencing - fixing it starts with get takeaway/backswing arms/body in synch.    Get yourself in position so those comps aren’t needed and arms/pivot are sequenced.   Might consider an online live lesson with monte.

Edited by glk

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

Laugh-a while you can, monkey boy.
Enjoy every sandwich