Do you keep "golf notes" to stay on track?

When I started taking lessons several years ago I noticed that my retention of what I learned wasn't what I wanted it to be. After a few range sessions I'd revert to my old habits which worked okay, but of course it made the lessons pointless. 

At some point I started a Google Docs file on my phone. After each lesson I'd make some notes to remind me of my goals and what I was told to work on. This has proven to be really helpful. I'm sure other people use videos or other tools for the same purpose, but I'm a words guy at heart and I like to write stuff down. 

This weekend I was in a three-day handicapped event with a bunch of other guys. I was really struggling with my full swing the first two days, shooting about 10 strokes worse than my quota and just feeling lost. Saturday night I went back through my lesson notes and it was clear that I'd fallen back into a few old habits...having too wide a stance and not making a full turn back. On Sunday I corrected those two things and was able to play my normal kind of round. What a freakin' relief that was! Even won some money on the day. 

What's your process for staying on track from month to month and season to season? What resources do you return to over and over again to get back on the right side of your game? 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 1
  • me05501 changed the title to Do you keep "golf notes" to stay on track?
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I started taking lessons several years ago I noticed that my retention of what I learned wasn't what I wanted it to be. After a few range sessions I'd revert to my old habits which worked okay, b

For me it's remembering that I had notes, next is where I put them lol. Usually I can get things back on course in the next range trip or two once I figure out where Ive went wrong. Usually it's somet

My buddy does and he swears by it. Anytime he feels like his game is off he reviews his notes. He shoots under par regularly.

For me it's remembering that I had notes, next is where I put them lol. Usually I can get things back on course in the next range trip or two once I figure out where Ive went wrong. Usually it's something that I've started to exaggerate.

• Like 1

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

1 hour ago, SNIPERBBB said:

For me it's remembering that I had notes, next is where I put them lol. Usually I can get things back on course in the next range trip or two once I figure out where Ive went wrong. Usually it's something that I've started to exaggerate.

Me too. I've been keeping notes & scorecards with basic stats (FWs, greens, up/down, # putts, putts inside 10') for over 40 years. I wish I kept them better organized & referred to them more often.

I’ve kept notes in some form or another most of my golf life. I hardly ever refer back to them, but I find writing them down immediately after a range session when the feels are fresh really helps to solidify my thought process. 

It would probably be pretty interesting to go back over some of my oldest notes to see where my head was at. 

• Like 1

I keep one of those tiny "college" style notebooks in my bag with key swing ideas if I get off track, as well as a bunch of information that I don't want to try to retain in my head. Examples: chipping run out with each of the clubs I use, wind hurt for mph, etc. A quick second to look at some of that info and I'm on my way. I find it incredibly useful, and as long as you don't abuse it there's no danger of slow play. For example, probably won't go hunting for swing ideas while mid-round, I'll wait until I'm on the range next.

Edited by Vinsanity23
Spelling error

TSI3 9* : Tensei AV White Proto 2.0 75TX

SIM Max 3W Ventus Blue 8X

Epic Flash 7W : Motore Speeder VC 8.3X

P790 3-PW : $-Taper Black 130X

Hi-Toe Raw 50.09 & 60.10 : Tour Black 130X

PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 or Evnroll ER2B

Pro V1

Full WITB Specs

Great topic actually for in person lessons. Some pros give you voice overs on videos to take home. That would solve the problem. But, I wish pros would follow up with an email after a lesson and say, this is what I observed and this is what we should work on. From what I have experienced, it is a situation where you're taking lessons and it's hard to remember what was said. Quite disappointing.  

Before I took my break, I would keep track of stats and notes of how I played.  I used a 3x5 spiral notebook so it would fit in the scorecard holder.  It was never swing keys, it was more for what I felt needed to be practiced.  As I am getting back to playing I will pick this habit back up.  I never used to try and fix during a round because usually made things worse, to many thoughts going on.

Keep a list of ~20 swing thoughts in my iPhone Notes. An example, “turn back to see who’s behind you”. Try to organize them based on the swing sequence, for example “finish facing the target (Rory McIlroy like)” comes way after “one piece takeaway”. Will refer back to them on occasion when having issues.

Also keep other things I’ve read and heard over the years in the notes, for example, Johnny Miller’s tips on hitting balls on the driving range.

I use the memo app in my phone and document lesson notes after lessons. I had a great instructor in the early 2000s. After every lesson we would sit in his office and he would recap the lesson details on a sheet of paper. I still have those notes. Interestingly, I moved to a fade about 3 years ago. The same swing flaws I had with the draw were the same flaws I had with the fade. 

In October I decided to get back to lessons to clean up a few things. Each lesson worked something different. Lesson 1 was address and setup. Lesson 2 was backswing. Lesson 3 was downswing. Lesson 4 was a very specific backswing start that I found kept my turn centered. Kept notes on them all. 

I can't tell you how many times I'm warming up, take a video of my swing, and see old setup bad habits. 

• Like 1