Hybrid loft versus iron(s) to be replaced.

BigTerp1524

17 minutes ago, Drivingrangehero said:

Ok, I would look into some options at the top.  

If you’re  going 16* hybrid after Driver, then the 21* will gap nice, but I’m willing to bet it will be miles longer than your 26* 5 iron. You’ll probably end up with the 24* hybrid in the bag eventually as well. 

In carry distance, i have a about a 35+ yard gap from Driver to 16* hybrid and about 19 yard gap from 16* to 20* hybrid, then a 13 yard gap from 20* to 23* hybrid, then a 14 yard gap from 23* hybrid to my 25* 5 iron. 

so from my 20* hybrid to 25* 5 iron I have a 27 yard gap. That is the same loft progression as yours, only 1* stronger, but my 20* (and 23*) hybrid is NOT a hot faced, high ball speed bomber. They are very iron like, whereas my 16* hybrid is a higher launching, hot faced Bomber

its not going to be apples to apples due to your shaft length progression being that you are 6’8”, but it’s something to consider. 

Thanks. Appreciate the breakdown.

And yeah, my height and build specs are making things a bit more difficult for me to get figured out.

FWIW, below is the irons I'm going with and the hybrids I'm considering.

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-dbm-forged-iron-heads/p/ma0225/

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-sth2-hybrids/p/ma0316/

With my swing speed I hit the hybrids all about the same distance.  The 4h goes a little higher with more spin.  The 3h goes a little lower with less spin.  Not enough delta for me to carry both.  I've since ditched both of them due to lefts for a 7 wood.  Man, that 7 wood is money.  I'm thinking about an 11 wood.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, LeoLeo99 said:

With my swing speed I hit the hybrids all about the same distance.  The 4h goes a little higher with more spin.  The 3h goes a little lower with less spin.  Not enough delta for me to carry both.  I've since ditched both of them due to lefts for a 7 wood.  Man, that 7 wood is money.  I'm thinking about an 11 wood.  

Thanks. This is another thought provoking response. What if I don't get along with my current woods off the tee because of the shaft flex or length? Only way for me to figure out is get a hybrid and try it. I'll find out soon enough if I want more to fill the gaps, or a properly speced wood(s) would do me better.

2 hours ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Thanks. Appreciate the breakdown.

And yeah, my height and build specs are making things a bit more difficult for me to get figured out.

FWIW, below is the irons I'm going with and the hybrids I'm considering.

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-dbm-forged-iron-heads/p/ma0225/

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-sth2-hybrids/p/ma0316/

Im in a similar situation with Driver to 16*-20-*-23* hybrid

i did buy a 4 Wood because the price was right, but I’m typically not any better off the tee with a 3-5 wood, than I am a driver. However, I can hit a 15 plus degree wood off the deck fairly well (mine is 16.5*)  I haven’t got it dialed in (due to me tearing my rotator cuff) but I will probably cut the 4 wood down an inch and add a bunch of headweight (I like heavier clubs). I think that would get me to have a bit more control off the tee, but still be able to hit it nice and high off the deck. 

My 16* hybrid (CBX119) is great off the tee. As a matter of fact, my overall distance may be a little longer than the 16.5* 4 Wood (TEE CBX119) off the tee, since it has a nice medium trajectory and gets some roll, but off the deck, it’s not carrying nearly as far.  I’ll never be able to reproduce the 4wood’s launch and spin off the deck with the hybrid, but I may be able to reproduce the hybrids better dispersion with the 4wood  off the tee with time and effort ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by Drivingrangehero
Typo
  • Like 1

No matter what anyone here says, unless they have crazy dynamic loft at the hit position or some weird swing mechanics, a 15/16* fairway wood will go higher and likely farther than a 16* hybrid. Consider, if the hybrid went as far, all the PGA tour players would be using it for more length control.

If you're 6'8 and your a fair to better stick (at least <12 hdcp), and are fit into x flex, and live at sea level, go with 4i. Unless you have some ridiculous deloft at impact or some bad mechanics where finding the face is impossible, or need help with height in long irons, (like I do at 1 mile elevation), that 4i will probably be a better fit and gap better.

So then, if you're going 23* 4i, then its either 19* hybrid, 19* 5w, and then 15* 3W. You may need to reshaft the 3W/5W, but cheaper likely than getting an entire new club.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54D/60S DG S300

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

9 hours ago, mxskier said:

No matter what anyone here says, unless they have crazy dynamic loft at the hit position or some weird swing mechanics, a 15/16* fairway wood will go higher and likely farther than a 16* hybrid. Consider, if the hybrid went as far, all the PGA tour players would be using it for more length control.

If you're 6'8 and your a fair to better stick (at least <12 hdcp), and are fit into x flex, and live at sea level, go with 4i. Unless you have some ridiculous deloft at impact or some bad mechanics where finding the face is impossible, or need help with height in long irons, (like I do at 1 mile elevation), that 4i will probably be a better fit and gap better.

So then, if you're going 23* 4i, then its either 19* hybrid, 19* 5w, and then 15* 3W. You may need to reshaft the 3W/5W, but cheaper likely than getting an entire new club.

Thanks. I'm FAR from a good player/ball striker. Former hack, but have been working hard on my swing the past 4 months. It's definitely improved, but still a lot of work to do. Consistency is my biggest issue right now. I'm at least to the point now that I'm able to feel when my swing breaks down, assess it and work it out on my next swing. So I'm getting there. But this is the main reason for me wanting to go hybrid between driver and 5i. I'm thinking the hybrid(s) will help me with ball striking, which I currently struggle with. I do hit my current 4i OK. But it's standard length (38.5") and with my build specs my new one will be 39.25". This is where I think the hybrid head at 39.25" will give me a bit more consistency/forgiveness. 

Whatever hybrid you get, make sure it’s adjustable. Then you can dial in your gap versus guessing. 

• Like 1

Driver: PING G410 Plus, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6S
3W: Titleist D917 13.5 @ 15, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7S
5W: Titleist D917 18 @ 18.75, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8S
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 21 @ 22, Diamana D+ 100 Hybrid
Irons: PING i210 (5-U), Nippon Modus 120S
Wedges: PING Glide (54 SS, 58 WS), PING CFS Wedge
Putter: PING Sigma 2 Arna
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

4 hours ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Thanks. I'm FAR from a good player/ball striker. Former hack, but have been working hard on my swing the past 4 months. It's definitely improved, but still a lot of work to do. Consistency is my biggest issue right now. I'm at least to the point now that I'm able to feel when my swing breaks down, assess it and work it out on my next swing. So I'm getting there. But this is the main reason for me wanting to go hybrid between driver and 5i. I'm thinking the hybrid(s) will help me with ball striking, which I currently struggle with. I do hit my current 4i OK. But it's standard length (38.5") and with my build specs my new one will be 39.25". This is where I think the hybrid head at 39.25" will give me a bit more consistency/forgiveness. 

Got it. Then buy the 4i when you buy the set, but don't play it. Get a 21-22* hybrid just play a 17-19* 4/5 wood. keep it at 13 clubs for now. then as you get better figure out the more specific gapping at the top. don't overthink it now.

• Thanks 2

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54D/60S DG S300

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

38 minutes ago, mxskier said:

Got it. Then buy the 4i when you buy the set, but don't play it. Get a 21-22* hybrid just play a 17-19* 4/5 wood. keep it at 13 clubs for now. then as you get better figure out the more specific gapping at the top. don't overthink it now.

Good advice. Really just trying to avoid getting something I don't need or want. I'm definitely overthinking it. I might even keep it to just 12 clubs then work out what I need/want to finish out the top of my bag. 

I'm a hybrid guy.  Took me awhile to adopt them.  I recommend Ping Anser hybrids.  A real game changer for me.  I'm a 7 hdcp.  Several tour pros still carry Anser hybrids.  They come in 27, 23, 20, and 17 degree lofts.

Hard not to hit them straight and high.  Cheap used club experiment.  

FYI:  there was some discussion about FW woods vs. hybrids.  Anthony Kim at his best was using a 15 degree hybrid and NO fairway woods.  Lots of ways to play your best.

• Like 1

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

11 minutes ago, BMC said:

I'm a hybrid guy.  Took me awhile to adopt them.  I recommend Ping Anser hybrids.  A real game changer for me.  I'm a 7 hdcp.  Several tour pros still carry Anser hybrids.  They come in 27, 23, 20, and 17 degree lofts.

Hard not to hit them straight and high.  Cheap used club experiment.  

FYI:  there was some discussion about FW woods vs. hybrids.  Anthony Kim at his best was using a 15 degree hybrid and NO fairway woods.  Lots of ways to play your best.

Thanks. What loft hybrids do you play and what clubs do they replace?

2 hours ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Thanks. What loft hybrids do you play and what clubs do they replace?

I play a a 27 (5 iron) 23 (4 iron) and 20 (3 iron/5 wood).  My drives average around 240, so I use the 27 and 23 a lot on longish par 4s and par 5s.  I don't carry a fairway wood.

• Thanks 1

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

Taylormade have updated their Custom Guide with a handy 'loft selector' for hybrids...

They seem to be recommending that for most heads to replace iron number with same number hybrid...except in their SIM2 Rescue....they are saying replace a 3 iron with the 2H and 4 iron with a 3H...Seems completely the wrong way round to me!!

Think someone was smoking crack when they compiled this list!

Screenshot 2021-04-16 at 14.57.45.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nickosbad said:

Taylormade have updated their Custom Guide with a handy 'loft selector' for hybrids...

They seem to be recommending that for most heads to replace iron number with same number hybrid...except in their SIM2 Rescue....they are saying replace a 3 iron with the 2H and 4 iron with a 3H...Seems completely the wrong way round to me!!

Think someone was smoking crack when they compiled this list!

Screenshot 2021-04-16 at 14.57.45.png

Interesting. Thanks.