2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Wayne Player Banned from Augusta

Phireside

1 hour ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

The differences of what you circled vs purposely holding up a sleeve of balls likes a Price is Right model is profound. It's amazing you and some of the others can't discern the difference. 

Like they didn't line up the Ping bag right beside him, Vanna White style? Why isn't anyone mad about that? 

It's a sleeve of golf balls, not like he's throwing up a gang symbol or the sign for white power. 

It's actually dumb on Augusta's part because if they hadn't of done anything at all, no one would have even noticed he was holding the sleeve of balls. I certainly didn't, again due to the proliferation of logos already in the picture, until it blew up into this type of conversation. For all I knew it was just how he happened to be holding the balls the moment the picture was taken. I wouldn't give it a seconds thought otherwise. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tiderider said:

yeah, that he was there in the first place says quite a bit ... about gary ... 

I agree and I've always enjoyed him and tended to overlook his ego driven issues as entertaining.

With Wayne's well publicized past issue with Augusta National just having him on the bag seems a bit of an in your face move, and with him standing there holding a sleeve of balls for only one reason, I can see Arnie or Jack looking at someone and saying "Put those balls away".  

You'd think it would be, "Son, you're lucky to be here, behave", lol.

Remember AN hasn't and likely won't make any announcement so this is all from his brother, I don't even know if any of this has been confirmed.  But man, to be such a great guy your brother busts you ---- yikes.  And maybe he's busting Dad at the same time in a way --- double yikes.  Bet the brother won't be on the bag next year!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JDCON said:

Saw the ball thing, but missed why people don't like Gary Player. Is there something Gary has done to draw the ire of the internet? I don't have tv sooooo... I'm blissfully unaware of much.

Check out Player's previous comments concerning Apartheid. Just one example in a long history of douchebaggery. The guy is a cancer. 

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Augusta just doesn't like to make a big fuss or anyone who does.  I bet they would eliminate all sponsorships if they it wouldn't piss off all the pros and their sponsors.  I had a buddy who played as an amateur and they made him replace his bag because it wasn't a college bag and it had a logo on the side.

Just think about how much money the tournament forgoes in sponsorship money just to keep the integrity of the tournament.  I heard the club leaves about $200 million on the table every year and CBS barely breaks even.  Don't get me wrong, everyone still gets paid, but it's not about the money for those people.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

Like they didn't line up the Ping bag right beside him, Vanna White style? Why isn't anyone mad about that? 

It's a sleeve of golf balls, not like he's throwing up a gang symbol or the sign for white power. 

It's actually dumb on Augusta's part because if they hadn't of done anything at all, no one would have even noticed he was holding the sleeve of balls. I certainly didn't, again due to the proliferation of logos already in the picture, until it blew up into this type of conversation. For all I knew it was just how he happened to be holding the balls the moment the picture was taken. I wouldn't give it a seconds thought otherwise. 

Again I find it actually amazing that you can't discern the difference.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ferguson said:

I'll be the one to make this statement. 

"Golf needs a guy like Wayne Player." 

Yeah, PXG's next brand ambassador...yikes. Thanks for the chuckle Fergie!

• Like 1

or
or

4 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

Because Augusta National has been the pinnacle of racial equality over the years?!?  Gary is 100% percent wrong but Augusta didn't admit a black member until 1990.  Let that sink in a moment...1990!  To this day they still have only 9 black members.  I love the Masters more than anything but the history of equality at the club is disgraceful and people can choose to ignore it if they want but it's been there forever.

I think people should be more mad about Augusta's practices over the years and focus less on one person and more on the entire organizational structure.  Augusta decided to finally allow a token black guy to have the ceremonial opening shot in 2021.  Why now and not 30-40 years ago??? 

Like I said, if they had said or done nothing, no one would have even known about the golf balls in the picture.  This is a way for Augusta to get more attention for themselves to show how "righteous" they are. 

Yeah, you are absolutely correct. I'm not trying to absolve Augusta of anything or ignore the history that you are referencing. In fact, given that history, it makes perfect sense that they would put up with a lot of racism, but just a smidgen of self-promotion. 

When it comes to Augusta, there's nothing bigger than the course and the club itself. 

• Like 1

or
or

12 minutes ago, jholz said:

Check out Player's previous comments concerning Apartheid. Just one example in a long history of douchebaggery. The guy is a cancer. 

Now do Augusta...

• Like 3

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

1 minute ago, kasting333 said:

Now do Augusta...

Not trying to ignore that. Just trying to stick to the topic. 

or
or

Just now, jholz said:

Not trying to ignore that. Just trying to stick to the topic. 

You brought up apartheid and the whole ceremony was a whitewashing for Augusta. 

Seems like selective outrage to me.

• Like 1

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x

Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Tour BX S

2 hours ago, Big GG said:

A PRIVATE Club admits whoever they want. If you me or anyone else doesn't like that. Oh well. Rules are rules. They have a member board that makes the decisions. Augusta caved to society pressure and has now allowed both blacks and women. No matter what you may think. Augusta can and should be able to do what they want when it comes to membership. Even if I don't agree with it. 

They aren't the only club with these policies as well.  We may not like it but if you don't like it, don't join.

It is their tournament.  They make the rules.  Who they invite to play and under what circumstances.  Seems to work well for them.

I missed it completely.  Everybody is laughing in the pic.  Hard to tell if it is that uncomfortable "did he really just say that" laugh or if it is a genuine one but everybody is laughing.

I also agree with the "Golden Bear" comments.  All of these guys are about their brand.  Everyone of them is an independent contractor and has a finite amount of time to rake cash.  It's off-putting at times but understandable.  I have noticed lately a fair number of them have their own logo with their initials.  Ian James has his own line of plaid britches and other sporting attire.  Stenson is writing books and selling sun shades.  I assume Patrick Reed has some sort of microwavable dinner brand he is behind.

5 minutes ago, kasting333 said:

You brought up apartheid and the whole ceremony was a whitewashing for Augusta. 

Seems like selective outrage to me.

No, self preservation. Sacred WRX topics and all that. If you would like to know my real feelings about Augusta and all of this stuff, feel free to PM me. Happy to share. 

• Like 1

or
or

54 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Think about it this way guys. 

You’re Augusta National.  One of your “ big 3” legends and honorary starters has a son.  Do you go out of your way to ban the guy and risk a media backlash and embarrassing your ambassador?  Nope.  Just doesn’t compute.  You’d give him every inch of rope possible.  Right ?  

so considering that.  What did Wayne do or how bad are his actions that we don’t know about that you’d ban him and have to have that convo with his dad.  Your ambassador.??? Has to be pretty bad.  There’s no way they’ve done this for showing a box of balls only.   Flip it over to Jack.  If his son burned the clubhouse down while smoking out back im not sure he’d get a lifetime ban.  So that puts the Wayne behavior in perspective.  At least to me it does. 

Spot on!  There has to have been some other golden nuggets and shenanigans going on.  Wayne is/was Augusta's Spalding.

image.jpeg.4dd12b32cba85edd48ca618020f749ad.jpeg

• Haha 2

Augusta with the Sweet Chin Music to Wayne 

John Cena Sport GIF by WWE

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

6 minutes ago, jholz said:

No, self preservation. Sacred WRX topics and all that. If you would like to know my real feelings about Augusta and all of this stuff, feel free to PM me. Happy to share. 

Understood. Just have a hard time criticizing one and not the other 

• Like 1

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x

Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Tour BX S

not sure if anyone remembers -- but the commercials for the golf hall of fame originally did NOT have gary player in them. apparently his pr group caused a stink and that's why he's in it now, and says '...and the black knight!' ...with emphasis. 

gary player, his son and anyone else similar can hit the road. the 'look at me' nature of that family is unreal -- wins or not, takes no talent to be a decent person. don't be an a**hat. 

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

27 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

I love the Masters more than anything but the history of equality at the club is disgraceful and people can choose to ignore it if they want but it's been there forever.

I think people should be more mad about Augusta's practices over the years and focus less on one person and more on the entire organizational structure.  Augusta decided to finally allow a token black guy to have the ceremonial opening shot in 2021.  Why now and not 30-40 years ago???

Golf is inherently unequal.  Up until about 15-20 years ago there was very little egalitarian about it.  It is a leisure activity and specifically one that is very equipment and land area intensive.

While I love the game, I am not blind to the fact it is not something that is all of the sudden going to catch on in the inner city.  It isn't that those folks couldn't or shouldn't play it is just not accessible.  Much the same way that ice hockey is not very accessible in the rural south.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kasting333 said:

Understood. Just have a hard time criticizing one and not the other 

Oh, I feel you. Don't even get me started about the pimento cheese sandwiches....😛

• Haha 1

or
or

14 hours ago, PZero said:

"When reached for comment Wayne said he was sitting in his new 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe when he found out he was banned. He heard it on the incredible 9 speaker Hi Def surround sound featured in the 'very luxurious for it's class' Limited model. Wayne was so shocked he said he almost dropped his ice cold Dr. Pepper and crashed into the local Burger King, home of the Whopper."

It's a wonderful restaurant 

• Haha 1

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

19 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Golf is inherently unequal.  Up until about 15-20 years ago there was very little egalitarian about it.  It is a leisure activity and specifically one that is very equipment and land area intensive.

While I love the game, I am not blind to the fact it is not something that is all of the sudden going to catch on in the inner city.  It isn't that those folks couldn't or shouldn't play it is just not accessible.  Much the same way that ice hockey is not very accessible in the rural south.

What has changed in the last 15-20 years?   Seems exactly the same as when I started 35 years ago.

As for AGNC having only 9 black members, my guess is that's more than LACC/Bel Air or many other high end clubs have across the nation.  It's a small sample size, but in three decades of playing the private courses around Los Angeles, I can't recall ever seeing a black player.  Did see James Worthy and Jim Brown...but those were on public tracks.

52 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

Because Augusta National has been the pinnacle of racial equality over the years?!?  Gary is 100% percent wrong but Augusta didn't admit a black member until 1990.  Let that sink in a moment...1990!  To this day they still have only 9 black members.  I love the Masters more than anything but the history of equality at the club is disgraceful and people can choose to ignore it if they want but it's been there forever.

Like I said, if they had said or done nothing, no one would have even known about the golf balls in the picture.  This is a way for Augusta to get more attention for themselves to show how "righteous" they are. 

Good post.   

I can only offer one possible reason.  Large, traditional organizations are inherently slow to change.  And private clubs can do what they want, which makes the prospect of change even more difficult. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

How'd that work out for you Wayne?  Was that everything you were hoping for?

Ironically it probably is better than we could have hoped. Who knew his name before this, I sure sure didn't and didn't care(still don't outside the context of this thread). How many people have tried to identify and google the brand of balls he is shilling. I haven't but I might. Thousands probably have.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

25 minutes ago, manku said:

What has changed in the last 15-20 years?   Seems exactly the same as when I started 35 years ago.

I don't think there is any one thing.  It is just my observation in my area that things have gradually "opened up" regarding golf.  There is a lot more diversity in my area in general and the golf course is probably just a carry-over of that.