Who has the right of way

4 hours ago, BoraB said:

After I hit my tee shot. Look up to see where it's going. Bend down to get my tee. Stand up

and the next golfer is so close I have to take a step back.

Should I expect a little space to exit the tee area?

This is probably the most annoying thing I do on the golf course.  I am terrible with it, lol.  I try to consciously be aware that the guy on the tee needs space, but I'm in a hurry, lol.  But seriously, I am working on it.  But on the other hand, I would prefer people rush a bit instead of those sitting in their cart talking on their phone completely unaware that it is their shot.  

• Like 2

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

1 minute ago, trilerian said:

This is probably the most annoying thing I do on the golf course.  I am terrible with it, lol.  I try to consciously be aware that the guy on the tee needs space, but I'm in a hurry, lol.  But seriously, I am working on it.  But on the other hand, I would prefer people rush a bit instead of those sitting in their cart talking on their phone completely unaware that it is their shot.  

A suggestion for this - just play and move on, leaving them sitting there.

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, trilerian said:

Why are they talking on a phone on golf course? Are they also sending emails?

Oh boy...

3 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

Yes, you should.

Maybe the next golfer was overly anxious to hit their shot. Did you mention this to him?

P.S. Never had a problem like that. It is a different story around a pool table, there it may be crowded sometimes even with only two people playing...

"I'm shootin' pool, Fats.  When I miss you can shoot."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hard to say who is right or wrong without a tiny bit more detail. But either way not a big deal.

I would say in our group if  you stand on the tee box and wait for a GOOD drive to stop rolling, you stood there too long and the next guy might be getting ready to hit. 

Bad drives- everyone watches to see where they went, but good drives  you watch until it is clear the ball is on the short grass, grab your tee well it is still in the air and back away so the next guy can get set up. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, BoraB said:

After I hit my tee shot. Look up to see where it's going. Bend down to get my tee. Stand up

Need some space? Drop a nasty, smelly, fart right after you hit your tee shot. No more crowding.

More seriously, this happens every now and then in my regular groups. Usually because the guy going to the tee is day dreaming or is watching the ball in flight and isn't paying attention to where you are. No biggie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

You should have at least until the ball stops moving plus a second or two to complete your exit from the tee box.  I don't like people on the tee box with me, either.  That two club rectangle defined by the tee markers is mine when I'm on the tee.  Even if I'm on the far right side of the tee, don't stand on the left side of it or put your bag there.  I consider that bad etiquette.  

• Like 2

A good drive take about 10 seconds from leaving the club to coming to stop. It does not seem like allot of time, but it is pretty common for the next guy to move into position during this time and the person hitting to start to move away.

Here are some good drives from Rory, as you watch you will see the next player is walking up and beginning to set up before the ball lands (this little ballet of movement is what I am used to):

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 2

I think any group should play however it works for them!

I would expect some space and my experience since a very young age is the next golfer's signal to tee it up is when the golfer in front of him/her is walking away.  We may be standing next to the box, may be standing somewhere on the box depending on how things are laid out, but don't expect to go put my tee in the ground until the person ahead's shot is complete, meaning the ball has come to a stop and we are most likely crossing paths from/to the teeing area.

Like a lot of things, very situational, but if someone is close to putting his butt in my face as I'm picking up my tee something would likely be mentioned. 😉 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I think any group should play however it works for them!

I would expect some space and my experience since a very young age is the next golfer's signal to tee it up is when the golfer in front of him/her is walking away.  We may be standing next to the box, may be standing somewhere on the box depending on how things are laid out, but don't expect to go put my tee in the ground until the person ahead's shot is complete, meaning the ball has come to a stop and we are most likely crossing paths from/to the teeing area.

Like a lot of things, very situational, but if someone is close to putting his butt in my face as I'm picking up my tee something would likely be mentioned. 😉 

I agree.  2b's video above does show the pros have a different etiquette for that.  That was one thing I noticed when I attended tour events in person.  They are very quick on and off the tee when hitting driver.  Guess with spotters they don't need to worry so much about finding their balls and can take their eyes off them.  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, LeoLeo99 said:

I agree.  2b's video above does show the pros have a different etiquette for that.  That was one thing I noticed when I attended tour events in person.  They are very quick on and off the tee when hitting driver.  Guess with spotters they don't need to worry so much about finding their balls and can take their eyes off them.  

They definitely do, and nothing wrong with ams doing the same, IMO, again just depends on how your group wants to do it or is used to doing it.  Maybe it's my Midwestern outlook but even if it wouldn't be the case and I was with strangers, I would feel like I was intruding if I was ready to tee it up before the other person was done, so to speak -- and if there's a meeting to discuss this I'll bring a casserole!

4 hours ago, LeoLeo99 said:

Like I mentioned earlier GOOD drives get much less attention. If you are off line and could be in trouble, everyone watches it until the end. 

Some times when I stripe one down the middle I will practically have my head cover back on and my club in my bag before it stops rolling. No Need to watch the good ones.😄 In Match play I tend to 'ignore' my good drives as I was expecting it after all. 🤨

Mind you I was always one of those guys that when I scored a touchdown, I would just hand the ball to the referee and head back to the huddle for the PAT.  No dancing or celebrating, just getting the job done. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ArtMBgolf said:

The next golfer should be giving you some space, especially when the guy 
who just hit might take a practice swing of some kind.   

You should never take a post-drive practice swing in the same spot from your drive.  If you feel you need to take a practice swing after your drive then you move away from the teeing area and make your practice swings. Never do it from where you just teed it up if someone is hitting after you. You take your practice swing over to the rough. 

After you drive, if there are people hitting after you, expect their tee to be going in that ground seconds after the ball leaves the face of your club. Especially if it's a straight drive.  If not, maybe a few extra seconds for people to watch to see where a bad drive goes. And even then, if it's four people, 3 watch the bad drive while the fourth tees it up and gets ready to hit. This is normal and this is what keeps the pace going. Four people watching a where bad drive goes while some still have to tee off is slowing things down. 

7 hours ago, PoolPond said:

You should never take a post-drive practice swing in the same spot from your drive.  If you feel you need to take a practice swing after your drive then you move away from the teeing area and make your practice swings. Never do it from where you just teed it up if someone is hitting after you. You take your practice swing over to the rough. 

After you drive, if there are people hitting after you, expect their tee to be going in that ground seconds after the ball leaves the face of your club. Especially if it's a straight drive.  If not, maybe a few extra seconds for people to watch to see where a bad drive goes. And even then, if it's four people, 3 watch the bad drive while the fourth tees it up and gets ready to hit. This is normal and this is what keeps the pace going. Four people watching a where bad drive goes while some still have to tee off is slowing things down. 

Sound advices but I cannot help wondering how you guys can play 5 hour rounds in carts if you are that effective on the tee 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I disagree with the above. Watch every shot as long as you can until you can't track it anymore. I don't care if it's a screaming smother hook for the strip mall across the highway or a 2 yard baby fade center cut. Otherwise you'll never see the 90° kick into the rough, the ball plugged into a soft fairway, the bounce into or out of the trees.

What slows things down is not being able to find a ball because you didn't watch it to the end. As opposed to standing on the tee an extra (gasp) 5 seconds. 

• Like 4

Some of the older guys I get paired with cant see a ball past 100 yards so we're right behind them every tee shot. If we didn't watch their ball the round would take 8 hours. 

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

18 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

I thought that goes without saying under the current covid19 situation 🤔

Appears this was not the case in this situation.  Without saying anything do you expect random strangers to give you 6 feet of social distancing?  🤣 

You believe people are self aware and accountable to their actions 🤣

On 4/13/2021 at 2:05 AM, BoraB said:

Golfer is so close he had to take a step back...so it prompted BoraB to pose the question 🤔

Edited by Mr. Clean