Best Place in GBI for a Week of Golf

I posed this question on the big thread re the US so why not here on the GBI thread. Where would you stay for a week and play golf every day and not drive for more than an hour? And what courses would you play? Probably St Andrews would be the obvious one, but apart from that my first take would be Liverpool. You could play Royal Liverpool, Wallasey, Delamere Forest, Prestbury, Formby, Hillside, Birkdale or plenty of others if you wanted to reduce costs because that's an expensive rota. There must be plenty of other cities or towns for such a venture.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chanceman said:

I posed this question on the big thread re the US so why not here on the GBI thread. Where would you stay for a week and play golf every day and not drive for more than an hour? And what courses would you play? Probably St Andrews would be the obvious one, but apart from that my first take would be Liverpool. You could play Royal Liverpool, Wallasey, Delamere Forest, Prestbury, Formby, Hillside, Birkdale or plenty of others if you wanted to reduce costs because that's an expensive rota. There must be plenty of other cities or towns for such a venture.

It is hard to beat St. Andrews, however I am looking into different areas for our 2023 trip. I am looking at a few areas:

Liverpool 

Gullane

Sandwich

I think its going to be between Liverpool and Sandwich. Gullane is really good and there are several great course options, but our group has done Scotland before, and hoping to do Ireland this fall, so England is what I am thinking. It is between Liverpool and Sandwich, but probably leaning to Liverpool because there are more courses. It is very hard to beat the course lineup they offer. In addition to the one's you mentioned there is West Lancs, Lytham & St. Anne's, Southport, SP Ainsdale, and more. Plus it's easy for us to fly into Manchester direct from the US. Sandwich would be nice, but it probably will be another time. 

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

8 hours ago, hammergolf said:

It is hard to beat St. Andrews, however I am looking into different areas for our 2023 trip. I am looking at a few areas:

Liverpool 

Gullane

Sandwich

I think its going to be between Liverpool and Sandwich. Gullane is really good and there are several great course options, but our group has done Scotland before, and hoping to do Ireland this fall, so England is what I am thinking. It is between Liverpool and Sandwich, but probably leaning to Liverpool because there are more courses. It is very hard to beat the course lineup they offer. In addition to the one's you mentioned there is West Lancs, Lytham & St. Anne's, Southport, SP Ainsdale, and more. Plus it's easy for us to fly into Manchester direct from the US. Sandwich would be nice, but it probably will be another time. 

I would unequivocally choose Sandwich/Deal. You get Sandwich, Deal, Princes, Rye and Littlestone. Plus a heathland course to and from the airport. Double plus you get to stay in a charming small town.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chanceman said:

First choice is North Berwick. Play Goswick, Dunbar, NB, Gullane 3, Muirfield, Kilspindie and Musselburgh Old. Loads of charm, beauty and variety. I would push the boat out and add Alnmouth Village to the Goswick day. 

• Like 1

How about Inverness? Nairn, Castle Stuart, Fortrose and Rosemarkie, Muir of Ord, Boat of Garten, Tain, Golspie, Brora and the majestic Royal Dornoch. Plenty of other cheaper options too. Lovely part of Scotland.

In Ireland, Dublin is a standout - it has Portmarnock, Royal Dublin, The Island, Baltray, European Club, St Annes, Druids Glen plus K Club, Carton House and lots of inexpensive club courses close by. Dublin nightlife is great.

Possibly Derry too. Combining Ireland itself and Northern Ireland - Royal Portrush, Portstewart, Castlerock, Ballyliffin, Portsalon, Donegal and a few others would be a fantastic week's golf.

So much choice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chanceman said:

How about Inverness? Nairn, Castle Stuart, Fortrose and Rosemarkie, Muir of Ord, Boat of Garten, Tain, Golspie, Brora and the majestic Royal Dornoch. Plenty of other cheaper options too. Lovely part of Scotland.

In Ireland, Dublin is a standout - it has Portmarnock, Royal Dublin, The Island, Baltray, European Club, St Annes, Druids Glen plus K Club, Carton House and lots of inexpensive club courses close by. Dublin nightlife is great.

Possibly Derry too. Combining Ireland itself and Northern Ireland - Royal Portrush, Portstewart, Castlerock, Ballyliffin, Portsalon, Donegal and a few others would be a fantastic week's golf.

So much choice.

That’s the problem Chanceman, so many places to go... Aberdeen would be another good one.  I already make a trip every two years with my guys, but I’ve made a commitment to go on a golf trip in the off year to play as many areas as I can. 

Edited by hammergolf

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

St. Andrews area is first. Just a laundry list of courses to play that are very close.  Elie, Crail, Kingsbarns, St Andrews, Carnoustie, Bay Courses, 

Inverness is second for me.   Royal Dornoch, Brora,  Castle Stuart, Nairn, Cullen.   Cruden Bay, over two hours out, but so unique in Scotland it is worth it.

East Lothian is a good area too.  As is Aberdeen

Edited by driveandputtmachine
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

highlands, ayrshire, aberdeen, fife, east lothian, lancashire, kent, all have 5 or so reasonably indisputable top 100 courses. Several other regions get close.

However, if you were to give me £5k and insist I spent it on a weeks golf in the uk..

Id stay around Ascot and play in Surrey/Berks two different courses a day. Fairly sure 14 courses within an hours travel would all be top 50, most would be far closer. Nowhere else in the uk is remotely comparable 

https://www.golfmonthly.com/courses/top-100-courses/top-100-golf-courses-60876

edit, (including Ireland) you have to go down to number 83 to get to 14 courses according to this list.. although Wentworth west seems to be missing altogether..

Edited by milesgiles

As always with these topics money is a determining factor. 

If money is no object then I don't think you cant do better than Surrey:

Sunningdale
St George's Hill
Wentworth
Walton Heath
Queenwood
Woking
Hankley Common
Worplesdon
Hindhead
New Zealand
Coombe Hill
The Addington
Royal Wimbledon
West Surrey
Foxhills
RAC - Royal Automobile Club
Royal Mid-Surrey
Banstead Downs

If you want value for money there are plenty of places:

Berkshire: Swinley Forest, Calcot Park, Sonning, Bearwood Lakes, Berkshire

Lincolnshire: Woodhall Spa, Seacroft, Forest Pines, Lincoln, Market Rasen

Norfolk: Royal West Norfolk, Hunstanton, Sheringham, Royal Norwich, Royal Cromer, Thetford

Cornwall: St Enodoc, Perranporth, Trevose, St Mellion, West Cornwall, Bude & North

Lancashire: Royal Birkdale, Royal Lytham & St Annes, Formby, Hillside, Southport & Ainsdale, West Lancashire, St Annes Old Links

Yorkshire: Ganton, Alwoodley, Moortown, Lindrick, Fulford, Pannal, Sand Moor

Personally I have to agree with Tom Doak's famous quote: "England is the most underrated country for golf courses" I know Scotland has the majority of historic courses but I believe many are overpriced when compared to just as good courses south of the border. 

Edited by Divot License

• 3 weeks later...

How about Worcester?? Within about an hour, you could travel to:

Beau Desert

Little Aston

Blackwell

South Staffs

Church Stretton

Kington

Painswick

Minchinhampton

Cleeve Hill

Not a bad little rota and quite inexpensive when compared to the Top 100 courses around Sandwich, Liverpool and St Andrews. But I do know the traffic around Birmingham is horrendous.

On 5/9/2021 at 3:39 AM, Chanceman said:

How about Worcester?? Within about an hour, you could travel to:

Beau Desert

Little Aston

Blackwell

South Staffs

Church Stretton

Kington

Painswick

Minchinhampton

Cleeve Hill

Not a bad little rota and quite inexpensive when compared to the Top 100 courses around Sandwich, Liverpool and St Andrews. But I do know the traffic around Birmingham is horrendous.

People often neglect Harborne, Edgbaston, Sutton Coldfield (shines in winter) and Whittington Heath. 

6 hours ago, Chanceman said:

Crikey, I have never heard of Harborne!! How did you find that one? A Colt course too.

I found Harborne because it's a Colt course! I will play just about any Colt course if I think the design is reasonably preserved. There are some issues with trees, but overall Harborne is very good. It has that classic Franks Harris Bros shaping for the greens which is attractive and makes for interesting golf. Harborne is still decent value at about 40-50 quid and they take the county card. Low key club in urban Brum. Highly recommended if one is looking for value without sacrificing too much on quality. To be honest, the design is excellent, but the site isn't grand like we normally think of for famous Colt heathland courses. Clay based so avoid in winter 😎,but in very good nick during the summer. 

• 6 months later...

All going well, this trip which has been in the works since pre-Covid should happen next year. I have a week to myself for golf in England before meeting the wife in Ireland.

Initial schedule starting out from LHR is:

Reigate - The Addington - Royal Cinque Ports - Royal Ashdown - Worplesdon - St Georges Hill - London Scottish

I plan to stay at BnBs or pubs nearby each course.

The main alternative is going North:

Old Fold Manor - Kings Lynn - Woodhall Spa - Ganton - Alwoodley - Cavendish - Hollinwell

This is clearly more driving time but in many ways more interesting.

They are about the same cost too which maxes out the budget.

What do you think? Could I do better in the time available.

3 hours ago, Chanceman said:

All going well, this trip which has been in the works since pre-Covid should happen next year. I have a week to myself for golf in England before meeting the wife in Ireland.

Reigate - The Addington - Royal Cinque Ports - Royal Ashdown - Worplesdon - St Georges Hill - London Scottish

Old Fold Manor - Kings Lynn - Woodhall Spa - Ganton - Alwoodley - Cavendish - Hollinwell

You may want to hold off on Addy. They are in the middle of a several year upgrade which I think will wind up being outstanding. You could add Knole Park instead. Or you could play Piltdown as its close to RAF and may give you a chance to rest your engines. It's bunker free like RAF. Or play Princes...this too would give you the chance to chill with Deal nearby. 

5 minutes ago, Chanceman said:

Too many choices! Both Piltdown and Princes sound like good options. Or Littlestone? I like the idea of playing another links course. BTW How would Tandridge go as a sub for Addington??

Never played Tandridge. I am told its good. They too are going to redo their bunkers shortly.

Littlestone is not a pretty course, but it is good...certainly worth playing if on that coast. 

I assume Sandwich is too dear? 

On 11/26/2021 at 7:19 AM, Chanceman said:

what time of year? Id avoid links until April at least, very exposed.. Conversely, heathland will get extremely bouncy mid summer, which is tough for all but the very best..

that south option looks eye wateringly expensive, far more than the northern option surely??

heard good reports of Kings Lynn but dont know it personally. The rest I do, Old Fold is not in the same league as the rest, its not even top 15 in herts honestly. Hadley Wood is a Mckenzie just down the road. Moortown would be my Leeds pick, you might enjoy it more than Ganton which is pretty bleak, however great a course it might be technically. Played Woodhall Spa recently, was a bit scruffy, but its a superb design.

21 hours ago, Chanceman said:

Yes RSG would take up too much of the budget but without The Addington I could switch in Littlestone or Prince's. 

I might even go across to Pulborough which has great appeal. No bad decision.

Pulborough is lovely and its not too bad a drive from RAF, maybe 1:15. Definitely an upgrade from Knole Park and Piltdown. 

Edited by El Gringo

On 11/27/2021 at 1:20 AM, Chanceman said:

Too many choices! Both Piltdown and Princes sound like good options. Or Littlestone? I like the idea of playing another links course. BTW How would Tandridge go as a sub for Addington??

I drive past Tandridge quite often, it doesn't look amazing, Addington is very "London" so might be busy on certain days and could be a pain in terms of traffic etc. 

Does depend on time of year but for South and West of London a course like Guildford has great views and interesting holes and is good value. From there you could head down towards Hindhead and North Hants (Justin Rose) both fantastic.

If you get a reasonable week of weather I would be heading North from the value point of view, Hollingwell and Cavendish CANNOT be missed. Old Fold has some work going on, it's fine, but not sure how it ended up on your list lol.

I understand there's a PCR test requirement on arrival in the UK. Booked and paid for before you arrive! And then a quarantine period until a negative test is found.

Can anyone offer advice as to how to minimize the effect of this.

If the  test result takes 2 days then you could be stuck in a hotel room waiting and waiting. That's 2 or 3  rounds of golf you could miss - it effectively cuts your trip short by two days which is a lot if the trip is only a week.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/25/2021 at 2:47 AM, Ralphyboy84 said:

Liverpool/Southport is the best stretch of golf in the uk in my humble opinion and I say that as a proud Scotsman!

It is wonderful for sure. Of course you have the 3 Royal courses (Birkdale, Lytham, Liverpool), but numerous others like Hillside, Formby, and numerous ones closer to Manchester. Cheaper than other areas as well.

9 minutes ago, Schley said:

It is wonderful for sure. Of course you have the 3 Royal courses (Birkdale, Lytham, Liverpool), but numerous others like Hillside, Formby, and numerous ones closer to Manchester. Cheaper than other areas as well.

Would the "Wirral" be in the same ballpark area as Hillside/Formby /etc as mentioned by @Schley , and Liverpool/Southport (per @Ralphyboy84)?

This video (with Iona Stephens mentions the Wirral as "England's Golf Coast")

On 4/13/2021 at 6:48 PM, Chanceman said:

On 12/25/2021 at 7:47 AM, Ralphyboy84 said:

Liverpool/Southport is the best stretch of golf in the uk in my humble opinion and I say that as a proud Scotsman!

On 2/5/2022 at 12:41 AM, JungleJimbo said:

Would the "Wirral" be in the same ballpark area as Hillside/Formby /etc as mentioned by @Schley , and Liverpool/Southport (per @Ralphyboy84)?

This video (with Iona Stephens mentions the Wirral as "England's Golf Coast")

I am not totally sure but I thought that the Wirral is basically south of the Mersey and includes only Hoylake and Wallasey as "major" tracks. The others on the "golf coast" are all northwards.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chanceman said:

I am not totally sure but I thought that the Wirral is basically south of the Mersey and includes only Hoylake and Wallasey as "major" tracks. The others on the "golf coast" are all northwards.

thanks @Chanceman. From wikipedia, i found the following wrt the Wirral: "The Metropolitan Borough of Wirral is a metropolitan borough of Merseyside, in North West England. It has a population of 321,238, and encompasses 60 square miles of the northern part of the Wirral Peninsula. Major settlements include Birkenhead, Wallasey, Bebington, Heswall, Hoylake and West Kirby."

Edited by JungleJimbo