2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Stack and Tilt... here I come?

1 minute ago, Tpfol said:

What it isnt:

Keeping all weight on left side

strains hips or lower back

discourages weight transfer

Frankly, most of what it teaches is what "modern" swing philosophy preaches. 

Saguto says "stop shifting your weight" at the end of the video titled "How Much Should You Shift Your Weight in the Golf Swing?". Also, other proponents of ST have promoted keeping most of the weight on the left side. So the end result is for many that the weight will stay on the left side.

As far as "straining" the hips and the backs, that will depend on the person. However, older golfers like me will point out that the ST is hard on the back and the left leg because most of the power is generated from the shoulder turn and pulling the left side out of the way because the weight for most will stay on the left side. This is in stark contrast to a swing that has the weight shift providing elastic energy that is stored on the backswing then transferred to the arms and the hands like a baseball pitcher does with his big step. 

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

41 minutes ago, chipa said:

Also, other proponents of ST have promoted keeping most of the weight on the left side. So the end result is for many that the weight will stay on the left side.

No S&T teaches "most" of the weight on left side.

From the book, the DVD, any Andy Plummer interview, they define at setup the weight is 55% on left side. 55/45 vs conventional 50/50. 

That's where the confusion and lack of understanding comes in. Its not putting excessive pressure on left side, it's just a matter of semantics. The "center" of the S&T swing, the axis which the club swings around, isnt the center of one's body (center of head, straight line down parallel to spine).

The axis of the S&T swing is inside of left shoulder to ground, to the low point of swing. That's what promotes ball first, ground second contact (in theory). So in centering hips below shoulders (the "stacking")a slight shift of the left hip forward promotes that.

If the body rotates on that axis, the weight doesnt shift but remains static, the head doesnt move back.

Personally, if S&T is guilty of anything, I think the "weight forward" term is slightly disingenuous and ironically is what causes the most misrepresentation.

Saguto is very good, but he is also a self promoter to gain membership and his teaser videos are not 100% authentic S&T. 

1 hour ago, chipa said:

However, older golfers like me will point out that the ST is hard on the back and the left leg because most of the power is generated from the shoulder turn and pulling the left side out of the way because the weight for most will stay on the left side.

That's simply because you're not doing S&T, that isnt what it promotes. Not even close. 

I'm 53, returned to playing golf last year during quarantine and have lower back issues and a bum left hip. I started S&T because it was the one way I could deal with the swing, and avoid aggravating that pain

Edited by Tpfol

1 hour ago, Tpfol said:

That's simply because you're not doing S&T, that isnt what it promotes. Not even close. 

I'm 53, returned to playing golf last year during quarantine and have lower back issues and a bum left hip. I started S&T because it was the one way I could deal with the swing, and avoid aggravating that pain

I'm glad it's working for you buddy. Nonetheless, a lot of older golfers have the same to say about the ST. I expect you have more weight shift than is probably what is recommended, which in my opinion is a great improvement because it uses elastic loading and unloading as the real engine instead turning around the joints as the main source of power. The latter is called the "kinetic chain" theory and is predominate in golf, nonetheless, other studies have shown how baseball and tennis players with good form use elastic loading and unloading. The same is with better golfers as well. In fact I read that the shoulder speed of amateurs is generally higher than that of pros, yet swing at much lower clubhead speeds. There are a lot of ways to generate clubhead speed and I think methods that use less torquing around joints is easier on the body long term.

BTW, regarding your video about Byron Nelson, I think you are misunderstanding something about the weight shift technique- the weight needs to move mostly from the right leg to the left just like a pitcher takes his big step to load muscles and tendons in the back leg and then upon releasing that the body's weight not only moves forward but also that energy of unloading the elastic parts is used to move other parts of the body and eventually increases the hand speed.

Edited by chipa
  • Confused 1

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

59 minutes ago, chipa said:

I'm glad it's working for you buddy. Nonetheless, a lot of older golfers have the same to say about the ST. I expect you have more weight shift than is probably what is recommended, which in my opinion is a great improvement because it uses elastic loading and unloading as the real engine instead turning around the joints as the main source of power. The latter is called the "kinetic chain" theory and is predominate in golf, nonetheless, other studies have shown how baseball and tennis players with good form use elastic loading and unloading. The same is with better golfers as well. In fact I read that the shoulder speed of amateurs is generally higher than that of pros, yet swing at much lower clubhead speeds. There are a lot of ways to generate clubhead speed and I think methods that use less torquing around joints is easier on the body long term.

BTW, regarding your video about Byron Nelson, I think you are misunderstanding something about the weight shift technique- the weight needs to move mostly from the right leg to the left just like a pitcher takes his big step to load muscles and tendons in the back leg and then upon releasing that the body's weight not only moves forward but also that energy of unloading the elastic parts is used to move other parts of the body and eventually increases the hand speed.

You can use a lot of words, but still your perception of S&T is not correct. Has nothing to do with my personal opinion or success. If one is following a version of it, or what they "think" it means, they cant blame it for it not working.

Personally, I dont care whether or not people like S&T or not, there are many swing philosophies on how to hit the ball, and what works for one doesn't guarantee success for someone else. What I do find interesting though is how many people will criticize it and clearly have no idea what they are talking about.

The more you try to explain it, the less it appears you know about it.

As for Byron Nelson, your comment is gold. If you had read the book, or watched the DVD set, you would have seen pictures of Nelson (along with many others) using key moves of the Stack and Tilt system.

Frankly, ole Iron Byron would probably be more disgusted about the ball and equipment changes than he would about a swing philosophy but I digress....

• Like 2

On 7/24/2021 at 8:45 PM, chipa said:

Saguto says "stop shifting your weight" at the end of the video titled "How Much Should You Shift Your Weight in the Golf Swing?". Also, other proponents of ST have promoted keeping most of the weight on the left side. So the end result is for many that the weight will stay on the left side.

As far as "straining" the hips and the backs, that will depend on the person. However, older golfers like me will point out that the ST is hard on the back and the left leg because most of the power is generated from the shoulder turn and pulling the left side out of the way because the weight for most will stay on the left side. This is in stark contrast to a swing that has the weight shift providing elastic energy that is stored on the backswing then transferred to the arms and the hands like a baseball pitcher does with his big step. 

You have demonstrated in this thread that you don't know what S&T and you don't want to learn... 

My instructor is teaching all level and all age groups, up to 90 years old! And the key is to use each person's abilities to their maximum potential, never exceeding their range of motion.

On 7/24/2021 at 11:02 PM, chipa said:

S&T is descending from MORAD that descends from TGM... and TGM talked about "kinetic chain" well before it was named that way... unfortunately in the rather obscure language of Omer... I can't quote exactly from memory but  something like "one component lagging the other from the feet to hands"  "Lag Pressure"... So of course there is a "kinetic chain" involved in S&T, the question is do you get more efficient by extending some of the link of the chain in the backswing ? Most week-end golfer I know can recover from that and produce a correct or  sequencing in the downswing. S&T is trying to point to a minimum set of move to be more consistent and be long enough. You can have non minimal components if you can handle it, no decent S&T instructor would change that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Etzwane said:

S&T is descending from MORAD that descends from TGM... and TGM talked about "kinetic chain" well before it was named that way... unfortunately in the rather obscure language of Omer... I can't quote exactly from memory but  something like "one component lagging the other from the feet to hands"  "Lag Pressure"... So of course there is a "kinetic chain" involved in S&T, the question is do you get more efficient by extending some of the link of the chain in the backswing ? Most week-end golfer I know can recover from that and produce a correct or  sequencing in the downswing. S&T is trying to point to a minimum set of move to be more consistent and be long enough. You can have non minimal components if you can handle it, no decent S&T instructor would change that.

I don't think you understand me, the kinetic chain golf swing theory is outdated and obsolete. Yes people can swing with very little elastic tension like the ST promotes but they will never reach their maximum natural potential. Only by using the loading and unloading of the elastic tissue in the body is this possible. 

• Confused 1

Notes:

All I know is that I’ve gained distance by at least a full club and consistency in all aspects except short game. That’s a different issue.

Additionally, my lower back was usually sore for a day after play and now it’s not.

Bottom line —- This is improving my play!!!

Edited by Cwing
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

1 hour ago, triplebogeyblues said:

I can pretty much promise you any mid to high handicapper thinking about "the loading and unloading of the elastic tissue in the body." Has very low odds of actually improving.

I never said you have to think about it. If the ST allows one to think about the technique during the swing then I'd say it's robbing one of a lot of natural power. The golf swing is like anything it takes practice but once you get the weight transfer thing it's like a dance as Tom Watson called it. I think most people can dance if they practice without think about loading and unloading their legs. For that matter same goes for running, throwing a Frisbee, a ball or playing tennis.

• Confused 1

Notes:

Was using S&T years ago successfully but got away from it after advice from a golf instructor.  Scores crept up into the upper 80s and 90s.  Well, I decided to give it a go again about a month or so ago.  Had my best round in years a few days ago.  Missed a stupid 3 foot putt which would have been a 79.  Anyway, I'm a believer in S&T again.  BTW, I don't have a good back and have to be careful what I lift.  S&T doesn't bother it.

Read the pdf yesterday with a few trips outside for practice swings during the read/skim of the pdf.

Interesting.  Went to the range this morning and changed one thing at address, instead of a tilt away from the target I went to a very slight tilt toward the target.  This induced fairly consistent divots vs my normal sweeping iron shot.  It also induced a natural forward shaft lean that felt very comfortable.

I'm not saying I'm going all in on S&T but I'm going to keep an open mind while trying one thing at a time and keep what works.

Thanks to whoever posted the pdf link.

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

I'm not a golf professional and certainly not an expert in the swing, but it seems like all this going back and forth about S&T is kinda silly. IMO, it works for some people and not for others. There are still a lot of S&T instructors out there and to say they are all teaching a flawed swing is very presumptuous to claim. There's a reason it's still being taught--it works for a lot of amateurs, and some professionals. Alex Cejka comes to mind as the most recent winner on the Champions Tour who I believe still works with Andy Plummer. I have a family friend that uses S&T and brought his handicap from the mid teens to under 5. No other method had helped in until he started working with a S&T instructor. It clearly works for some or it would have died off by now. I've had varying success with it in the past. I've had lessons from S&T instructors with awesome swings and I've had 2 group lessons with Andy Plummer. They swing the club extremely well. But obviously it's not for everyone. Is it the best way to swing the club? I don't know. Probably not for a most modern professionals playing the new power game. But players have won PGA events with it in the past so obviously you can use it at the highest levels. But I'm honestly not sure I would tell a young aspiring player wanting to get on Tour to use it (not that I'd ever be asked! 😆

The problem with S&T instruction, IMO, is that S&T teachers can be a bit cult like and defensive when talking about the swing. I think this does them a real disservice. I don't see why they can't just say we teach it because it works well for amateurs who want to just get out and play decently and leave it at that. 😕

I've been having some right knee issues lately. I may have to go back to S&T as it takes pressure off my right knee. I've had back issues in the past as well and I never had any physical pain or issues using S&T. If done correctly it should not cause back pain by itself. If I go back, I'll post how it's going. 

Sorry for the rant! 😆

Edited by scopek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, scopek said:

There's a reason it's still being taught--it works for a lot of amateurs, and some professionals

Exactly!  I'm amazed how triggered some get at the mere mention of "S&T."

The core principles are present in so many teachers, not just the network guys like Rob Cheney.

I think it's a good, basic way for the average Joe to "get good."  From there, it's a matter of talent, practice, and ongoing learning to max out individual potential.    

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, games said:

Exactly!  I'm amazed how triggered some get at the mere mention of "S&T."

The core principles are present in so many teachers, not just the network guys like Rob Cheney.

I think it's a good, basic way for the average Joe to "get good."  From there, it's a matter of talent, practice, and ongoing learning to max out individual potential.    

Exactly. I think part of the issue is also from how defensive S&T folks get. I mean, can shifting the weight improve distance? Yes. I'm not a golf expert but it just makes sense. And if you're a professional trying to get every yard increase you can, you're probably going to have to start working more with ground pressures and that's going to require weight/pressure shifts. Just makes sense. HOWEVER, for the average golfer, this is difficult to do correctly. Sure it can be done, but S&T just simplifies it. And again, it's not just for amateurs so you can take it pretty far *if* it works for you. 

I'll say as an aside, although I only had 2 lessons from Andy Plummer and it was in a group setting, my impression from how he teaches is that he's not as dogmatic and people make him out to be. Brad Faxon who is still very well respected in the golfing world said on the PGA radio channel that Andy Plummer is one of the most knowledgeable instructors on the swing that he's ever met. 

Edited by scopek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scopek said:

I think part of the issue is also from how defensive S&T folks get

Well, I'm not trying to argue or debate as I agree with most of what you've said. I'll only disagree that in my experience, albeit as limited as its been, the defense of S&T is typically against those attacking it who are completely off base in what they "think" S&T is. Like you said, what works for one doesnt guarantee success with another, but why some feel the need to criticize something when they really dont know what they're talking about is beyond me. 

12 minutes ago, Tpfol said:

Well, I'm not trying to argue or debate as I agree with most of what you've said. I'll only disagree that in my experience, albeit as limited as its been, the defense of S&T is typically against those attacking it who are completely off base in what they "think" S&T is. Like you said, what works for one doesnt guarantee success with another, but why some feel the need to criticize something when they really dont know what they're talking about is beyond me. 

Sure. I think that's probably where some of the defensiveness comes from and a lot of it is justified as you point out.  But sometimes they dig their heels in and over state a lot. 

• 3 weeks later...

After October, I am going full on stack and tilt!  I have played "traditional" golf my whole life since 5.  I have gotten all the way down to a 5 handicap, and probably hover around a 9 right now.  I have a full-time job, 3 kids who are all very active, and in general a busy life like most of us.  Watching content and reading some of the book, it just makes sense!  I like the concept of the grid, I like the same contact point, I like the idea of less timing, I like the idea of little to no weight shift, I like the idea of eliminating a two-way miss.  

Everyone has to have something that is "better", why can't we just be happy for those who succeed with something that we don't agree with or have.  

I'm excited for the journey!  Wish me luck!  

Edited by skyleralan
  • Like 3

I’ve been playing so inconsistently all year and was told by a golf instructor that I was swaying to the right off the ball so I thought I’d give S&T a try again. Tried it when i first came out.I have the original book on Kindle and watched Rob Cheney’s videos. Practiced it for a week and went out a week ago Saturday and shot 78 with a double on 18 and missing two 3 foot putts during round. Was having hard time breaking 85 all year before this. It was basically fairways and greens and to my surprise I was hitting the ball slightly further with S&T. During following week only got to practice Friday for 9 holes playing three balls off every tee and again struck the ball very well. That night however my lower back right side started acting up and goes without saying didn’t play well in pain Saturday. I’ve had this pain before a few years ago and chiropractor told me its a muscle pull. I’m quite sure that I over did something (moved the wrong way) in  part of the swing. Has anyone had a similar problem using this method? I’d love to know what I did wrong so as not to repeat. I like the S&T but can’t have a back issue .

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda lost my way. I’d not been playing badly. Mostly good front 9’s, bad back 9’s. I went back to the original videos that took me to S&T. Much better.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Here is my 17 year old’s SnT swing when going 70% whilst working some technical details. I don’t think there’s much need for the debates that keep taking place. The motion seems fairly orthodox for what’s taking place on tour these days. Sure there are some sequence differences, but no reverse pivots or moves that ruin spines.

Edited by Tugu
Trying to embed video
  • Like 2

On 9/13/2021 at 9:30 PM, Tugu said:

Here is my 17 year old’s SnT swing when going 70% whilst working some technical details. I don’t think there’s much need for the debates that keep taking place. The motion seems fairly orthodox for what’s taking place on tour these days. Sure there are some sequence differences, but no reverse pivots or moves that ruin spines.

Just looks like a nice easy swing

• Like 1

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash