Upcoming Palm Springs trip...suggestions please...

Simp

Hey guys, first post so go easy on a rookie :). There's a group of 6 or 8 (it varies from year to year) that go away for a week or so during either Jan. or Feb. and this year it's going to be Palm Springs. Last year it was Hawaii (didn't go...$$$) and the year before that it was San Diego. We're gonna be going Feb. 3rd through the 10th and was wondering if any of you guys have ever played some of the courses there. The players will average shooting from the mid 70's up to around 100......ish :cheesy:. Any and all suggestions/recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, one more thing...NICE FORUM!!! Thanks guys, Simp

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The short list:

PGA West - Stadium, Nicklaus, and Norman. Unless you want to say "I played the Stadium", don't play the course. You will enjoy Nicklaus & Norman

Landmark - North and South. North is better because South was trashed by a 3 holes design.

Silver Rock - I haven't played it yet, but everyone says it's very nice. 7600 yards from the tips, and will be played on the Bob Hope started 2007.

Desert Willow - Mountain View & Firecliff. I haven't played it, but it is on my short list.

Westin Misson Hills - North/Player & Resort/Dye. Both of these tracks are solid.

If you would like anything not related to golf, let me know. I live 45 minutes from "Palm Springs" and I am in the valley at least 3 times a month (golf or business).

Wow! Thanks alot for that info. I really appreciate it. If you get to play any of those courses before Jan. please let me know as I'll pass the info along. Thanks again, Simp

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

I am going to Palm Springs this weekend and staying at PGA West. As far as the courses there IMO The Stadium is the most fun to play. It is so hard and rediculous that it is fun you just have to accept the fact that it is this way. I really dislike the Norman, it has somewhat crowned fairways that if missed kick into natural areas with small brush plants that eat your ball. Basically if you miss the fairway its a lost ball. Nicklaus is OK typical Jack if you like that. I dont know alot about some of the other courses in the area but I am playing Stone Eagle a new course in the area designed by Tom Doak that is supposed to be excellent.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

The short list:

PGA West - Stadium, Nicklaus, and Norman. Unless you want to say "I played the Stadium", don't play the course. You will enjoy Nicklaus & Norman

Landmark - North and South. North is better because South was trashed by a 3 holes design.

Silver Rock - I haven't played it yet, but everyone says it's very nice. 7600 yards from the tips, and will be played on the Bob Hope started 2007.

Desert Willow - Mountain View & Firecliff. I haven't played it, but it is on my short list.

Westin Misson Hills - North/Player & Resort/Dye. Both of these tracks are solid.

If you would like anything not related to golf, let me know. I live 45 minutes from "Palm Springs" and I am in the valley at least 3 times a month (golf or business).

Great advice I will second all of his choices for you. You may want to play the mountain at the La Quinta resort.

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Thanks! Keep the recommendations and suggestions coming please. We like to play at least 2 high end courses with the rest being somewhere in between. Definitely not any low end courses though. Thanks again, Simp

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

I've only played the Stadium Course and the Mountain Course at La Quinta. Both were great, but I preferred the Mountain course - easily one of the most senic and beautiful courses I've ever played (if you like mountains that is!)

WITB:
Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5*
3 Wood: Titleist 915f 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 19*
Irons: Titleist 716 CB 4-7; 716 MB 8-P
Wedges: Vokey sm6 52, 56, 60
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Style

Simp,

If you want to head a little west (40 minutes), there are 3 outstanding courses in Beaumont, CA.

Oak Valley Golf Club - In my opinion, it is better than anything in the desert. Each year, it holds Q School (2nd Round) and the US Open qualifier. Weekend fees are $75, and less during the week.

http://www.oakvalleygolf.com/

PGA of Southern California Golf Club at Oak Valley - Very similar to Landmark. PGASCGC has 36 six holes. If you have some game, you can try 7450+ yards from the tips. 2005 Champions Tour Q School (Round 1 and Final) was held about a month ago. Weekend fees are $85, and less during the week.

http://www.scpgagolf.com/index.cfm?menu=1890

Now those courses look like what these guys will want to play! I'll definitely save these links and I'm sure that we'll play at least one of them, as it's my job (along with another guy) to pick the courses. Thanks for your time BagfullofPings! Simp

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

Simp,

If you want to head a little west (40 minutes), there are 3 outstanding courses in Beaumont, CA.

Oak Valley Golf Club - In my opinion, it is better than anything in the desert. Each year, it holds Q School (2nd Round) and the US Open qualifier. Weekend fees are $75, and less during the week.

http://www.oakvalleygolf.com/

PGA of Southern California Golf Club at Oak Valley - Very similar to Landmark. PGASCGC has 36 six holes. If you have some game, you can try 7450+ yards from the tips. 2005 Champions Tour Q School (Round 1 and Final) was held about a month ago. Weekend fees are $85, and less during the week.

http://www.scpgagolf.com/index.cfm?menu=1890

I was at PGA of Southern California Golf Club at Oak Valley during the week of the 2005 Champions Tour Q School, I was on bag for a Qualifing Senior, but got a chance to play the Champions Course during the practice round and it's worth playing. Watch out for the Santa Ana WINDS.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll just add my 2 cents. I've been playing in the desert for the last 17 years. There are lots of courses to choose from but what it really boils down to is, do you want to play "Name" course, a course the desert is known for? A course you can say, "I played it". A course that's famous because of what the pros played on?

If yes, then at the top of the list is PGA West Stadium Course. Damn $$$$$ in Jan/Feb but it's in great shape. There is no other golf course like it. None. Zero. A unique experience. No matter how you play that day, I can guarantee you one thing, it will be unforgetable. They don't have Q School finals there for nothin'. IMHO, you cannot go all the way to the desert and NOT play PGA West Stadium. That's like going to Red Lobster and ordering chicken.

The Mountain at La Quinta Resort/Spa is next. This course held the 1985 World Cup and held the Skins game for one year as well. This Pete Dye course is ordinary on the front nine, but the back nine coming home is truly amazing as the course hugs the mountains and makes the round memorable as well. The longish par 4 14th is one my favorite par 4's in all the desert.

SilverRock is a brand new Arnold Palmer design that will be part of the Bob Hope Classic next year. It's very long at 7600+ from the tips, but it's an ok place. Nothing really stands out about it. Could easily skip it, unless you want to say you played where the pros will play come the Bob Hope

Rest of the courses are "best of the rest".

Desert Willow FireCliff course: Nice, nice, nice!!! Everybody loves DW. Nobody says anything bad about the place. Very nice.

Marriot Shadow Ridge. Nick Faldo gem. Very solid course. Generous off the tee, bunkering/green complexes tricky and tough. The closer you get to the hole, the harder it gets. Nice place.

Landmark North/South. Name will change to Terra Lago next year. North is more interesting than South. Skins game was held here and they played a composite course of both of them.

The other courses at PGA West(public) Nicklaus and Norman. Norman is quirky. I've played other Norman designs and I think this is his worst. Ball not in fairway is in scrub/stone. I know, it's weird. Nicklaus is totally 80's golf. Plataued fairways and everything goes left to right. Just like the Golden Bear.

The other course at La Quinta...Dunes Course. Very underrated, a solid test of golf. I actually think this course is harder than the private Citrus Course.

Have to disagree slightly with the Oak Valley SCPGA courses. Don't get me wrong. They are nice, but they are EXACTLY like any course already out in the desert. My feeling again is, if you're going all the way out to golf Palm Springs, why drive 45 minutes away to play a desert course when you're surrounded by desert courses already? You can't go to Palm Springs and say, " I played Oak Valley". That's like going to the Monterey Peninsula and playing Seascape GC in Aptos. I don't get it. You're friends will ask you, "So, I hear you went to Palm Springs, did you get to play PGA West or La Quinta??" You say, "No, but I did play Oak Valley".. Your friends face.........a cold, dead, blank, non-blinking stare. But hey, whatever rocks your boat.

Courses that may tempt you, but stay away from. Not because they're bad, it's just that they're ordinary.

Indian Wells East/West

Escena Golf Club. Brand new. Kinda a yawner. Don't remember one nice hole.

Indian Springs

Palm Valley

Trilogy GC. Skins game currently. Stay away. You'll fall asleep playing here.

Tahquitz . Not worth it.

This is just my point of view. Sometimes a locals view is different than most other people's view. I play 90% of my golf on desert courses, not wooded, lush courses with lots of trees. Therefore, take all this with a grain of salt...

Simp.

Yes, all are public access. I think a great trip would be 4 courses:

PGA West Stadium

La Quinta Mountain

Desert Willow Firecliff

Marriot Shadow Ridge

You absolutely cannot go wrong with those 4. Those are sweet!! If you're up for more, then maybe drive a bit to the Beaumont area and play the Legends Course at the SCPGA or go across the street to play Oak Valley.

Fair warning though, the Beaumont area at that time of year may be 10-35 degrees cooler than what it is in Palm Desert. Add to that the possibility of rain as well vs. no rain in Palm Desert.

Good luck and have fun!!

Simp.

Yes, all are public access. I think a great trip would be 4 courses:

PGA West Stadium

La Quinta Mountain

Desert Willow Firecliff

Marriot Shadow Ridge

You absolutely cannot go wrong with those 4. Those are sweet!! If you're up for more, then maybe drive a bit to the Beaumont area and play the Legends Course at the SCPGA or go across the street to play Oak Valley.

Fair warning though, the Beaumont area at that time of year may be 10-35 degrees cooler than what it is in Palm Desert. Add to that the possibility of rain as well vs. no rain in Palm Desert.

Good luck and have fun!!

sharkiesj, I really appreciate all of the information that you've provided for me. I can definitely see us playing two of these courses. I can't wait until Feb! Thanks again, Simp

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby