2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Is there a consensus on wedges?

Swingthoughts

I am in the market for new wedges.  I know all club decisions are personal and involve a number of variables.  I tested Volkey, Ping, Taylor made and Callaway last week.   Was I wrong in 'feeling' that the Callaway Jaws 60 and 56 degree wedges feel/play lighter?   Is there any consensus on wedges these days as to which are the best?  Is there a #1 lob/sand wedge on tour?  Any feedback is appreciated.

Very personal.  How it looks to your eye, how it feels / weighting.  Grind matched to your swing and what you are trying to achieve / conditions.  It can be very confusing.  I tend to end up with generic - all purpose grinds, but would like to do a real fitting on my next refresh.

Hard to go wrong with Titleist, Cleveland, Callaway. 

But also tons of other great options depending upon budget, customization.  It is probably hard to find a really poor wedge IMO.

• Like 1

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

28 minutes ago, Swingthoughts said:

I am in the market for new wedges.  I know all club decisions are personal and involve a number of variables.  I tested Volkey, Ping, Taylor made and Callaway last week.   Was I wrong in 'feeling' that the Callaway Jaws 60 and 56 degree wedges feel/play lighter?   Is there any consensus on wedges these days as to which are the best?  Is there a #1 lob/sand wedge on tour?  Any feedback is appreciated.

No consensus for a lot of reasons:

1. wedge can cover anything from 150 yard full swing shot to 1 yard chip, fairway, rough, sand, etc. What someone wants in a 46* wedge may be completely different than a 58* wedge.

2. Most irons you're looking at loft, lie, shaft (composition, flex, length), sole. Wedges you're looking at all that plus much more focus on the details of the sole - particularly bounce and grind.

3. Shots inside of 100 yards probably have the most variation from player to player. Lots of partial swings and different approaches (opening the face, etc). What works for one player may not work for another. For instance I don't like 60* wedges - I'd rather use a 58* with a grind that allows me to open the face. I also would often prefer to hit a GW over a LW in almost every instance (except when I have to go over a bunker, etc). Other guys prefer it the other way.

So of all the clubs, I think wedges are the hardest to generalize. If you're mid-high handicap, some think that CB wedges like CBX or Glide have their advantages.

• Like 2

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

All the big companies make great wedges, just gotta go with whatever grind/bounce fits you. It's good because now companies offer a lot of options for both.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6TX

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T22 50S, 54D - S400 TI

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

4 minutes ago, randshoe said:

I would also recommend you feel the club on real grass opposed to a mat when trying them out as the mat can be deceiving in my experience.

I find this true for every club - particularly wedges - with driver being the exception. Mats suck.

18 minutes ago, randshoe said:

100% agree, its just unfortunate there isnt really a way to take the clubs out on real grass to give them a test spin first.

Not the cheapest route, but for irons I'll order a 7i in a spec that should be close (I have been fit in the past). Then I'll hit it at the local range (grass) and can put it into play. In the past I've ordered the same head with two different shafts and some other variations. I'd rather burn money that way than hit off a mat and think that gives me "an answer."

Well, it does give an answer but I think it is even odds it is the wrong answer and certainly my elbows will not be happy.

The brand is less important than the bounce.  I would stick to mid (8*-10*) for all of your wedges unless you really know what you're doing.  People focus on the turf interaction aspect of bounce, which IS important, but there is another equally important aspect: trajectory/spin.  The more bounce on a wedge, the lower on the face you will hit the ball.  Proper bounce will allow you to hit penetrating spinny wedge shots that hop and stop due to contact lower on the face.  Too little bounce will cause you to hit high wedge shots with less spin that are harder to control.  Too much bounce will increase your chances of hitting line drives 40 yds over the green.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9* w/ Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S

Callaway Paradym 16.5* w/ Mitsubishi Kai'li White 70S

Titleist 915F 21* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Ping G410 Hybrid 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Srixon z785 5-P w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 50*, 54*, 58* w/ DG Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron Golo S5

Bridgestone Tour BX

There are so many choices if you include finish (raw, black, copper, chrome). Unfortunately even if you go to a big box store, you’ll only be able to hit off mats & can’t tell how they’ll perform in sand or various degrees of rough.

Edited by 95124hacker

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

It's personal - 

Titleist has fitter, Edel has fitters, and then there are the fitting stores. With wedges, I go to the guy with grass and get fit. Once I know what grinds work, I can get something that's close, get it in raw or chrome -if you don't mind the raw spot, and have someone grind it from data on Trackman and lie board.

Or go to Artisan and get fit.

I've kept my Mizuno MP T20 the longest - about 15 months

Edited by SwingMan

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

If you can't test outside, then I would go Vokey.

They will sell the quickest, if you don't love them.

Assuming you can get the bounce and grind you want, my next criteria would be feel.  For me, this is where the Cleveland Zipcore had a slight edge in 50-52 lofts.  Otherwise, I personally didn't see major performance differences.

• Like 1

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

I’ve played Vokey’s since the 200 series. Always liked them more than other OEM’s. Even with that was always looking for something that performed better. I know much of it is operator error!  More than that is confidence. I worked with Jamie at Artisan and can’t be happier with the results. Just the sound of the pure strikes and the lack of damage with less than perfect passes at it. Can’t say enough good things about Artisan from the diagnosis, communication, and exceptional build quality. 

PING G430 LST 10.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 6S

Titleist TSR2 15 Tensei 1K Black 75S

Titleist TSi2 18 Ventus Velocore Red 7S

PING G430 #5 Hybrid HZRDUS RDX Red 6.0 

Artisan FC 5-7 Axiom 105S

Artisan HC 8-PW Axiom 105S

Artisan 50S and 54S Dynamic Gold S300

Vokey SM8 raw 58-12D Dynamic Gold S200

PING Custom PLD Anser X stainless/Oyster

5 hours ago, Swingthoughts said:

Was I wrong in 'feeling' that the Callaway Jaws 60 and 56 degree wedges feel/play lighter? 

It's largely a matter of touch and feel on wedges. I prefer Callaway wedges over Vokey because the Vokeys feel "strange."

Vokeys feel shaft heavy but head light to me. Despite the personal view, I have the greatest respect for Vokey for leading the way with a wide range of wedge options in loft and grind. Be aware that at a major golf expo I had almost an hour in Vokeyland. It was lunch time, and I was one of the few people hitting the then-new SM6 wedges.

But then the Callaway rep made a special visit to our club three months later. I could tell after 15 minutes that I wanted to play Callaway. Again, it's personal preference. Some players just love Vokey wedges, and work magic tricks with them on course. Alas, I channel Callaway magic (sometimes), not Vokey magic.

• Like 2

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I think there are only three things most people I have talked to/played with agree on

1. is that typically, shorter wedges (at the proper swingweight) have increased control. But I know a lot of us taller guys cannot get comfortable over those. 

2. U must test a bunch of wedges obsessively, around the greens you will play the most. 

3. Most tournament (really good) golfers I’ve met seem to either have heel relief in their most lofted wedges, or wish they did. 

Edited by extrastiff

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Wedges are very personal.  Like others have said the correct grind, swing weight, length, shaft and what loft you choose depending on how you gap distance are all important.  Lastly, it comes down to feel.  I've probably tested and played all the major OEMs out there.  This time around I chose to go with Miura.  Very simple look, softest feel, correct bounce among other factors.  Before that I played a tour issue scratch wedge.  Sure I can play pretty much anything from a major OEM but I gravitate towards smaller club makers when it comes to wedges.  Seems like they offer more customizable options for the discerning golfer.  With irons in general, I'm open to DTC options. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

7 hours ago, randshoe said:

100% agree, its just unfortunate there isnt really a way to take the clubs out on real grass to give them a test spin first.

There is a way but there is a fee to doing it.  It's called Global Golf'f U-Try program, however, it can get a little pricey especially if your trying to test several clubs like wedges....

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

5 hours ago, 20six said:

I am absolutely sold on Bettinardi wedges. The best I have ever played.  I've got a 52, 56 and 60 and love them all.

How good are those Bettinardi wedges!!!  I recently added a 50* and its by far the best feeling wedge I have hit. 

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

I think there's an argument for wedge play for picking something and sticking with it.  I've been playing Vokey wedges my entire life.  I've changed grinds and loft intervals, but with long experience I'm really comfortable with how they play and behave.

I'm sure some of the other stuff is just as good, but I have no desire to try them.

In my opinion a wedge is a wedge as long as the bounce/loft/lie/shaft are equal. I played nothing but Vokey's forever. Switched to Mizuno's and then Ping glide forged - haven't missed a beat with my wedge game. If you don't know what your preference or specs- get something in the middle in terms of bounce. Match the shafts to your irons and gap your lofts equally

• Like 2

15 hours ago, nostatic said:

Not the cheapest route, but for irons I'll order a 7i in a spec that should be close (I have been fit in the past). Then I'll hit it at the local range (grass) and can put it into play. In the past I've ordered the same head with two different shafts and some other variations. I'd rather burn money that way than hit off a mat and think that gives me "an answer."

Well, it does give an answer but I think it is even odds it is the wrong answer and certainly my elbows will not be happy.

I like this will have to consider in future luckily just started gaming srixons and im in love so wont need irons for a bit.

Wow - Those Bettinardi wedges are drop dead gorgeous.  I'd buy a set in a heartbeat if they were available in lefty.

Looks like awesome reviews too

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

Wedges are totally personal... and greatly depend on your chipping style(s).  I did not see much mention for them, but I put Miura's Pro wedges in play about 12 months ago.  Great feel and control, and love the K Grind on my 54* to help get thru the sand and heavy bermuda rough around NC greens.

Had vokeys, Mizunos, more recently cally MD4. 

just got Cleveland rtx4 and I love them. Such a great look and great feel. 

zipcores will be the next ones in the bag 

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

There’s a reason I have a backup setup of JAWS CC in my basement. I stumbled on these about 5 years ago when I was building a backup bag for Puerto Rico.  Was looking for something really cheap and picked them up and immediately fell in love with the 58*/13*.  It’s a high bounce C-grind with the leading edge blunted which fits my steep swing perfectly.  I also love the slight hint of offset with the short groove on the bottom which helps alignment.  My short game has been really good with these even though I don’t practice as much as I use to.  I’m just comfortable with what they can do and I have no issues with spin.

Tried to replace but then I asked why??  So I picked up a second set (on them now) and when these wear out and and I switch to the backup I’ll see if I can pick up another pair.  

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5