Kirkland Signature Wedges

ltom

Does anyone have any experience or insights on the Kirkland Signature wedges from Costco?

You get 3 wedges for $170.  They look pretty nice and that seems like a pretty good deal.  I'm someone who struggles chipping/pitching from tight lies.  Also I can struggle taking full swings with wedges.

Working on technique, but would like to know if these could work for me.

Edited by ltom

I’m enjoying mine so far.

fwiw I suck st golf but am working hard at getting better. I have hit some great shots with these wedges so far, especially enjoying the 52. I play it very often in full shots and it has done very well so far. 

the return policy at Costco is the big winner here, as a newbie I’ve already managed to bend a shaft on a tree trunk. Easily returned and got new wedges. Not much at risk if you don’t like them take them back. 

im sure there are “better” options but I like them and don’t know any better about bounce and grind options at this point anyway.

tldr: I like them, but I suck so ymmv

• Like 1

7 hcp here. Picked up the Kirkland wedges and played my first round of the spring today. Short answer is I like them.

I was fit for irons/driver last summer (which helped a ton) but moved before getting fit for wedges.  The 3 wedge set is cheaper than each of my individual irons. Current wedge is a Cleveland CG 10 that should have been replaced years ago. I’ve played a few rounds with demo SM8 and Jaws at my previous club for comparison. 

The Kirkland wedges seem to have the same spin as the major manufacturers and really good feel. The bounce is a little less than my current setup, but it helped with some tighter lies. I have no idea what the swing weight is, but my current irons have a fairly heavy shaft. The grip is nice, but I’ll probably change it out anyway to match the rest of my set.  I’m occasionally breaking 80 so customs grinds are not for someone like me. 

I’m a little concerned that I’ll come across as a Costco salesman. I had the same mallet putter for the last 15 years, but the KS1 putter is now in my bag. I’ve never dreamed of putting this well. 

For $160, it’s 3 wedges with fresh grooves and great feel. The same setup from Vokey etc would be $450+.  

• Like 1

They're not great. They are definitely a vokey copy, but zero options. They will fit a lot of people, being heavyish and lots of bounce. But do you want that much bounce on your Aw and Lw? I don't.

My first set of wedges were Wilson Harmonized, cheaper and lighter and I liked the shafts better.

The costco shafts are odd. Can't tell what, but something off about them.

Heavy head plus odd shaft and cheap grip equals weird feel to me.

I'm thinking all manufacturers are "borrowing" ideas from each other.  It seems hard to find things made in USA except Titleist and you pay a hefty price.  The online reviews seem very good for these wedges, especially getting 3 for price of 1.  I have ordered a set and they should arrive tomorrow.  I'll post my thoughts on them as a mid level player who struggles with wedges at times.

Edited by ltom

1 hour ago, ltom said:

I'm thinking all manufacturers are "borrowing" ideas from each other.  It seems hard to find things made in USA except Titleist and you pay a hefty price.  The online reviews seem very good for these wedges, especially getting 3 for price of 1.  I have ordered a set and they should arrive tomorrow.  I'll post my thoughts on them as a mid level player who struggles with wedges at times.

Do you think Titleist clubs are made in USA?

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

On 4/14/2021 at 8:11 AM, JDennis said:

If you struggle with full wedge shots, maybe look at something like Cleveland CBX2. They are a forgiving and great spinning wedge (actually will probably spin more that Costco). The Costco wedges are a Vokey'ish copy and a blade type wedge. 

Believe it or not I think they spun the same or more than the CBX2 wedges for me and I tested them side by side along with the Vokey, Miz, ZipCore, and Ping wedges. I'd have to go digging through photos for the data. Def agree though, the CBX2 is a stellar wedge if you hit most shots straight on.

19 hours ago, JackpotJohnny said:

I played with someone today that had them. His comment was they work just fine if you don’t need custom grinds or bounce options 

Got it in 1. Awesome wedge, just nothing fancy. I believe OP said he had issues with tight lies--- these can be a challenge on hard-pack. The bounce is very aggressive. 

18 hours ago, randshoe said:

Ive heard great things and these would make a great starter set for the intermediate golfer. Would be nice if there was shaft customization available.

Agreed. The biggest issue I find with these and my game is the shaft. The face/ milling is excellent and you will be able to spin the ball tons if you know how. I was seeing easily over 10k spin hitting off a mat on a GC2. If you're playing regular flex you should have no issue but if you're swinging hard they may not work for your game.

Like one of the quotes above said the other issue you will have is there is no bounce/grind option. For point and shoot they're great, but once you start to open the club face and try to hit flops, or have to play on hard terrain for a recovery you will have to get creative. I'm borderline between returning my set or just reshafting them. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Callaway Apex Pro '21 5-AW-- S400 (S)

Woods: Callaway Epic Speed 3W

Putter: TM HydroBlast Del Monte 1

1 hour ago, ltom said:

Yes I thought they were.  No??

Nope. China and other places, smae as virtually every other company. The majority of the balls are I believe are made in USA I think.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

1 hour ago, AcesAndHoles said:

Believe it or not I think they spun the same or more than the CBX2 wedges for me and I tested them side by side along with the Vokey, Miz, ZipCore, and Ping wedges. I'd have to go digging through photos for the data. Def agree though, the CBX2 is a stellar wedge if you hit most shots straight on.

Got it in 1. Awesome wedge, just nothing fancy. I believe OP said he had issues with tight lies--- these can be a challenge on hard-pack. The bounce is very aggressive. 

Agreed. The biggest issue I find with these and my game is the shaft. The face/ milling is excellent and you will be able to spin the ball tons if you know how. I was seeing easily over 10k spin hitting off a mat on a GC2. If you're playing regular flex you should have no issue but if you're swinging hard they may not work for your game.

Like one of the quotes above said the other issue you will have is there is no bounce/grind option. For point and shoot they're great, but once you start to open the club face and try to hit flops, or have to play on hard terrain for a recovery you will have to get creative. I'm borderline between returning my set or just reshafting them. 

Yea its a challenging predicament and well said with the grind issue. But I guess for the price it is hard to question their lack of customization.

Currently gaming these (have Hi-Toes otherwise)

Complaints - gap wedge isn't my cup of tea. Shape isn't as crisp?

Loves - either I learned how to chip, or the 56/60 fixed my short game. I can get out of bunkers very easily with the 60 due to the "sharp" leading edge. Unsure if it's me or the club.

Everything else is peachy. Clubs have no bag appeal, but that's not a concern for me.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 10 Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 5S

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 15* UST Mamiya Linq Purple 6F4

Titleist TS3 19 Fujikura Fuel 85HB S

Titleist U500 4i Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 90 HY 6.0

Titleist 620MB 5-PW AeroTech Steelfiber i95 S

Titleist Vokey Design SM9 52F, 58M True Temper DG S200

Scotty Cameron Teryllium 2 Newport KBS GPS Tour 120 Rainbow
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Needed a new 60 since mine was going on 10 years old so I decided just to pick them up on a whim after watching Rick Shiels do his review on them.  So far I have pretty much zero complaints.  Yardages all pretty much match up with my current setup, spin is good, feel is great.  I would maybe like to have a stiffer shaft option to try, but I'm not really going after it on wedge shots often. For the price it's very hard to beat, especially for the average golfer.

I got these wedges last fall and I like them.  I had some customization done on them, added one inch and had them bent up, but the specs were exactly the same as my Mizuno T-7 set.  I also think I read on here last year that they were made by Callaway and stamped for Costco.....but I don't really care.  I didn't notice anything off with the shafts or the swing weights or anything else.  I hit them the exact same distance as the Mizuno.  For $180 shipped, you can't beat them.  They don't look as cool in your bag as $500 worth of new Vokey's but they get the job done.  If you are good enough to require custom wedge shafts, then you probably won't be looking at the Costco stuff anyway.

1 minute ago, titleistforged said:

Currently gaming these (have Hi-Toes otherwise)

Loves - either I learned how to chip, or the 56/60 fixed my short game. I can get out of bunkers very easily with the 60 due to the "sharp" leading edge. Unsure if it's me or the club.

Everything else is peachy. Clubs have no bag appeal, but that's not a concern for me.

I had the same thought.  My short game improved dramatically when I put them in play.  My bunker game especially, but anything around the greens got better.  

• Like 1

The quality of those wedges are up there with the OEMs in fit and finish (the grip could be a little better).  The head is a classic tour proven design. 

It is up to the user to see if he/she has the skills to make them sing.

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 4

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

2 hours ago, titleistforged said:

Ditto, the G just doesn't gel for me either. I'm slowly phasing it out in favor of my set G at 3/4 swing. 

It does have some redeeming quality as a chipper though.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Callaway Apex Pro '21 5-AW-- S400 (S)

Woods: Callaway Epic Speed 3W

Putter: TM HydroBlast Del Monte 1

7 hours ago, Northandleft said:

Costco wedges. 
They take the hard work that real golf companies do in research and development to China and say make it as cheaply as you can. They stick the Kirkland name on it (as well as toilet paper, steak spice and multi vitamins) and wait for bored sheep to shove them in the cart full of crap. 
I would be embarrassed to put them in my bag. Have some respect for what Vokey and Cleveland (real people) and many others do for a living. Buy real clubs. 

I take it you also are against sub 70 and those small companies that don’t do their own research and development.  Personally if it’s a good product I don’t have any issue with using it.  I’m not concerned with large OEM’s not getting all of the money.  That said I’ve never played these wedges so I don’t know.  

6 hours ago, Hellstorm said:

I got these wedges last fall and I like them.  I had some customization done on them, added one inch and had them bent up, but the specs were exactly the same as my Mizuno T-7 set.  I also think I read on here last year that they were made by Callaway and stamped for Costco.....but I don't really care.  I didn't notice anything off with the shafts or the swing weights or anything else.  I hit them the exact same distance as the Mizuno.  For $180 shipped, you can't beat them.  They don't look as cool in your bag as $500 worth of new Vokey's but they get the job done.  If you are good enough to require custom wedge shafts, then you probably won't be looking at the Costco stuff anyway.

What's a T-7 set?

Edited by ltom

The Kirkland Sig wedges are fantastic. I bought them on a whim for messing around with over the late fall/winter. They are the best wedges I’ve played. Much better than my recent Cleveland’s and Callaways. The only problem at all with them is the label. I’ve hit some of my best wedge shots ever with them. I was shocked. 

• Like 1