Greens reading books...

physasst

9 hours ago, stingerfade said:

Cheating

So are you also against rangefinders and gps devices? 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

22 minutes ago, stingerfade said:

No. At least the ones with no slope. It’s not even close to the same thing. There are markers on the course and on sprinkler heads it’s not a skill to get a yardage. It’s to speed up the game. Green reading is a skill and part of the challenge of feeling/seeing the putt. The books give you the reads, that takes away the advantage of people that have worked on the skill of reading greens. The green reading books seem to slow the game down as well. 

I would disagree that getting a yardage is not a skill. Not all courses have sprinklers marked, and pacing off 25 yards +/- with some kind of accuracy is certainly a skill. Shots inside 100 yards aren’t marked, unless sprinkler are, feeling that yardage would be a skill. Just because the books show general slope doesn’t tell you anything about pace or green speed and in turn how that effects the break. In terms of pace of play, that’s player dependent. 

• Thanks 1

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

Bettinardi BKS #1

30 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:

I would disagree that getting a yardage is not a skill. Not all courses have sprinklers marked, and pacing off 25 yards +/- with some kind of accuracy is certainly a skill. Shots inside 100 yards aren’t marked, unless sprinkler are, feeling that yardage would be a skill. Just because the books show general slope doesn’t tell you anything about pace or green speed and in turn how that effects the break. In terms of pace of play, that’s player dependent. 

If some doofus is in front of me pacing off, to the yard, his approach shot he's going to blade over the back of the green I'm sending one right at his spine. If he shoots the pin with the rangefinder and blades it over the back, he's me. 

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, MPAndreassi said:

Set up a rope that’s ten yards long. Pace that at a normal walking pace. That’s how many steps 10 yards are for you. Not a skill unless basic math is included. Every course has 100/150/200 marked 

2 hours ago, stingerfade said:

Set up a rope that’s ten yards long. Pace that at a normal walking pace. That’s how many steps 10 yards are for you. Not a skill unless basic math is included. Every course has 100/150/200 marked 

Knowing the degree of slope on a green is no different than knowing a yardage to the flag if you don’t have the skill to interpret the data into a result. 5 degrees of slope on a green that runs at an 8 is different than a green that runs at 12. The skill involved in any of the measurements is being able to properly apply them and use them to make yourself score better. 

Edited by MPAndreassi
  • Like 1

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

Bettinardi BKS #1

I know this may be hard to believe, but in ancient days, we could look at a marker beside or on a fairway and estimate the yardage of our ball pretty accurately without pacing anything. Shocking and unbelievable, I know.

We also could go somewhere by looking at paper maps. Who knew?

• Like 3

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

3 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

I know this may be hard to believe, but in ancient days, we could look at a marker beside or on a fairway and estimate the yardage of our ball pretty accurately without pacing anything. Shocking and unbelievable, I know.

And they just played this little tournament down in Georgia where those detailed topology maps of the green aren't allowed. Low and behold, it was a successful tournament.

• Like 1

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

15 hours ago, stingerfade said:

No, not every course has 100/150/200 marked. I've played dozens of courses that don't have 100/150/200 stakes/markers. Sterling Grove in Arizona just opened, and the course doesn't even have yardage marked on the sprinkler heads. 

If I recall correctly, Bandon Dunes doesn't have yardages on the sprinkler heads.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

17 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

No, not every course has 100/150/200 marked. I've played dozens of courses that don't have 100/150/200 stakes/markers. Sterling Grove in Arizona just opened, and the course doesn't even have yardage marked on the sprinkler heads. 

If I recall correctly, Bandon Dunes doesn't have yardages on the sprinkler heads.

The majority do. We all know that I’m sorry but walking off yardages is not a skill 

14 hours ago, MPAndreassi said:

Knowing the degree of slope on a green is no different than knowing a yardage to the flag if you don’t have the skill to interpret the data into a result. 5 degrees of slope on a green that runs at an 8 is different than a green that runs at 12. The skill involved in any of the measurements is being able to properly apply them and use them to make yourself score better. 

Not the same at all. It’s crazy that people can’t see the difference between reading a green, interpreting the line and speed and walking and counting. It’s not even close 

Edited by stingerfade
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 11:08 PM, 3whacker said:

Heck one of these days we might even see guys brining launch monitors on the course with them

I took one of those National Golf Foundation surveys the other day that was about club fitting during a round using a trackman type device.

I'd say it is coming if not already here somewhere.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 10:55 PM, GatorNate11 said:

If some doofus is in front of me pacing off, to the yard, his approach shot he's going to blade over the back of the green I'm sending one right at his spine. If he shoots the pin with the rangefinder and blades it over the back, he's me. 

I saw you at Rolling Hills last year on #13.  I was on #5 tee box.  You rolled through then green then shot the distance with a range finder.  I always wondered what kind of knucklehead needs an exact yardage with less than 35 yards to the hole.

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

All the little plates have broken off 90% of the sprinkler heads around here.  That is the sprinkler heads that are still working and not sodded over.  Fairways don't get irrigated much when you live in some kind of temperate rain forest the last couple of years.

13 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

Won't travel anywhere significant without some sort of real road atlas or map for our vehicle, even with navigation.  Just studying a map a little bit is pretty darn helpful.  Kids these days . . . . .

Edited by Hawkeye77

On 4/13/2021 at 10:24 PM, m d g said:

I would be good with banning them, but would make an exception for those who make their own WITHOUT the use of technology.

If a pro and his caddy want to go out and pace things off and 'feel' the slopes, that seems like a 'natural' thing to do.

I agree with this exactly, unfortunately they already have these for every course on the tour so all they'd have to do is copy the ones already made into their own notes.

So, I say get rid of them period or a rule saying no heat maps and contour degress. Limit them to hand drawn arrows only.

Callaway Paradym TD 9.5* - Fuji Blue TR 6s & New Blue Velocore+ 6s

2021 Callaway UW 17* & 21* - Fuji Red Ventus Velocore 7X
Callaway Apex TCB  4-pw - Steelfiber i110cw S hard stepped 1"

Callaway Jaws Forged TI red dots 52@50/56@55/60*& Jaws Raw Z grind 60*z, DG TI S400

2021 Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K DW
Ball: 2024 Callaway Chrome Tour X -tested, great feel & spin!

1 hour ago, stingerfade said:

... I’m sorry but walking off yardages is not a skill 

It is now. Walking and counting? Oh my. People don't have the attention span now to count more than six or seven steps.

People who can walk and count are considered savants now.

(That sounded like something my father would have said.)

• Haha 2

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

7 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

It is now. Walking and counting? Oh my. People don't have the attention span now to count more than six or seven steps.

People who can walk and count are considered savants now.

(That sounded like something my father would have said.)

What if they can chew gum at the same time? 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

15 hours ago, wildcatden said:

And they just played this little tournament down in Georgia where those detailed topology maps of the green aren't allowed. Low and behold, it was a successful tournament.

They are allowed. Augusta just hasn't allowed their greens to be scanned. Pretty good article on it. Polter's book is pretty detailed. https://www.golfdigest.com/story/masters-2021-collin-morikawa-augusta-national-yardage-book

16 minutes ago, Jc0 said:

They are allowed. Augusta just hasn't allowed their greens to be scanned. Pretty good article on it. Polter's book is pretty detailed. https://www.golfdigest.com/story/masters-2021-collin-morikawa-augusta-national-yardage-book

You are comparing this:

1617628494268.jpeg

To what Augusta allows (note: player could write more notes than this, but they aren't going to get the detail written down like the pic above unless they sneak on the course overnight with a survey crew):

image.png.df523e482552b0a7325e1e0389b0a6f4.png

Get rid of the detailed topography maps.

• Like 2

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

On 4/20/2021 at 9:48 AM, smashdn said:

I saw you at Rolling Hills last year on #13.  I was on #5 tee box.  You rolled through then green then shot the distance with a range finder.  I always wondered what kind of knucklehead needs an exact yardage with less than 35 yards to the hole.

Wait wait wait....somebody shot the pin from just off the back of the green? Lmao

17 hours ago, GatorNate11 said:

Wait wait wait....somebody shot the pin from just off the back of the green? Lmao

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.  The hole they were playing is a downhill par 5.  The Tee box for another par 5 on the front 9 is behind that green about 50 yards.  The guys shot landed hard on the green and bounced through.  He shot it with a rangefinder and confidently told his partner it was 35 yards.  

I guess he pulled his 35 yard club.  I hope he wasn't in between clubs.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, smashdn said:

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.  The hole they were playing is a downhill par 5.  The Tee box for another par 5 on the front 9 is behind that green about 50 yards.  The guys shot landed hard on the green and bounced through.  He shot it with a rangefinder and confidently told his partner it was 35 yards.  

I guess he pulled his 35 yard club.  I hope he wasn't in between clubs.

Of course he shot it. Cleary had this gem in the bag. Full cut, yank it back 5yds. Tap it in.

Callaway Third Wedge 60 Soft Hi-Lob 40 Yds or Less The Callaway Edge | eBay

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2021 at 4:57 AM, MPAndreassi said:

Here’s an example from mine. 17th from my home course. 

AFC02EC9-A6ED-432B-AE30-8EC9A068F546.jpeg

1FABFE50-5DB5-41F0-BE0A-C210C203A638.jpeg

Thank you very much for the recommendations. I try to improve not only in this, but also in my academic life. I study at university and it has always been difficult for me to write conclusions for research. On the site https://edubirdie.com/blog/how-to-write-essay-conclusion I found detailed and constructive information on how to do it correctly.

Edited by Forrest Sanchez