2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Help Me Plan My Scotland II Trip For 2023

You can take the Kintyre express to Macrihanish in about an hour.  However, it looks like such a violent ride that my guests and I will be so shaken up we wouldn't be able to play golf there.  At the time I inquired, they were not booking reservations due to covid.

Macrihanish would be a dedicated trip.  Maybe in the future when I make it to eight figures I will somehow play Macrihanish, then maybe take a helicopter to the venerable Ardfin golf course, which I am hearing more and more about nowadays among the elites.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

You can take the Kintyre express to Macrihanish in about an hour.  However, it looks like such a violent ride that my guests and I will be so shaken up we wouldn't be able to play golf there.  At the time I inquired, they were not booking reservations due to covid.

Macrihanish would be a dedicated trip.  Maybe in the future when I make it to eight figures I will somehow play Macrihanish, then maybe take a helicopter to the venerable Ardfin golf course, which I am hearing more and more about nowadays among the elites.

Yeah, that wouldn’t be an option for me…. Getting to Campbeltown isn’t the problem, plenty of options either flying from Glasgow or a ferry from Ardessan. The pain is getting from there to Port Vincent to play Machrie. Helicopter is definitely the way to go if you have the budget. Ardfin, Machrihanish, and Machrie would be a magical trip!

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

7 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

Kintyre express never resumed their machrihanish service post-covid

• 3 weeks later...

I met a gentleman who recently played The Honourable Company (Muirfield) and did the 36-hole package with lunch in the middle.  He said that the meal was the best meal he had in Scotland for the trip.  For those of you who had lunch there, would you kindly elaborate on what was for lunch?

2 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

I met a gentleman who recently played The Honourable Company (Muirfield) and did the 36-hole package with lunch in the middle.  He said that the meal was the best meal he had in Scotland for the trip.  For those of you who had lunch there, would you kindly elaborate on what was for lunch?

It's the typical roast dinner served at other big name clubs known for lunch. Usually two meats and various veg. It's far from the best roast I have experienced, but good for UK clubs. Lunch is more about the ambience of the club and camaraderie. Well worth doing once. 

Ciao 

2 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

I would agree. Very good meal.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, johnspies said:

The real question is do you need any more friends? I'm available for golf trips and can pour a great martini....or a beer....or whatevs.

Ha, considering that near nightmare involving that rogue guest and his crazy wife, who wanted to bring their daughter, her mother and her aunt to have a shared experience, it would have been better to take you along than that crazy wife.

The stock market had a huge correction this year, as I lost nearly a third of my portfolio value.  However, my cash position is large enough to cover the trip.  Speaking of which, I am considering contacting Robin at The Experience to give me the invoice and paying the bill shortly because the exchange rate is so favorable against the pound sterling.  When I last checked, the exchange rate is about $1.08 per quid!  I think that even though I will be playing two more rounds and will have three rooms instead of two as needed in Scotland I trip, the cost of this trip may be equal or even less.  During the booking of Scotland I, I think the exchange rate was about $1.20-25 per quid.

Same. I've arranged a trip to Ireland for 11 of my club members and regretfully already paid the golf portion; could have saved hundreds when the dollar gained parity on the euro. I still have quite a bit more to pay for hotels, driver, etc. so trying to get that bill soon although I think it won't correct back for awhile, if at all before the trip. My wife and I are leaving for Europe in a couple of weeks and glad to get a little slack on the expenses!!

8 hours ago, johnspies said:

Same. I've arranged a trip to Ireland for 11 of my club members and regretfully already paid the golf portion; could have saved hundreds when the dollar gained parity on the euro. I still have quite a bit more to pay for hotels, driver, etc. so trying to get that bill soon although I think it won't correct back for awhile, if at all before the trip. My wife and I are leaving for Europe in a couple of weeks and glad to get a little slack on the expenses!!

I’m heading to Ireland Thursday and happy to have a 30% discount versus last years bill. I’m sure the pubs and restaurants will appreciate the extra bump in sales…

9 hours ago, hammergolf said:

I’m heading to Ireland Thursday and happy to have a 30% discount versus last years bill. I’m sure the pubs and restaurants will appreciate the extra bump in sales…

Looking forward to hearing about your incredible itinerary.  

• Like 1

2024 Bag

Cobra KING LTDx (9*) - MCA Tensei RAW White 6S

Cobra Radspeed 3W (13*) - MCA Kai'li White 7S

TM Stealth Plus 5W (19*) - Project X Hzrdus RDX Red 75S 

Cobra KING Tour MIM (4-G) - KBS C-Taper 120S

Sub 70 JB Forged FF (54,60L) - KBS S-Taper 120S

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7S

• 3 weeks later...

I just paid the whole bill.  Usually when you settle with The Experience they require a 40% deposit and the remainder to be paid a few months before the trip.  I made the daring move to pay all 100% because I am betting that the pound sterling has hit bottom and will not go any lower.  Hopefully this gamble will have paid off.

This is the point of no return.  I just spoke with each of my guests to tell them that they are locked in, and there will be no change of plans.  Of course, with what they will be receiving, they affirmed that they have no such intentions to change plans.

Now the next stage is to book round-trip tickets through Aer Lingus.  I will book outgoing from San Francisco to Dublin and then to Glasgow, and we depart Edinburgh to Dublin and back to San Francisco.  I plan to book those tickets at the beginning of next year.  Then from there I will order some quid through my bank for the caddie cash, and then we are all set.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

I just paid the whole bill.  Usually when you settle with The Experience they require a 40% deposit and the remainder to be paid a few months before the trip.  I made the daring move to pay all 100% because I am betting that the pound sterling has hit bottom and will not go any lower.  Hopefully this gamble will have paid off.

This is the point of no return.  I just spoke with each of my guests to tell them that they are locked in, and there will be no change of plans.  Of course, with what they will be receiving, they affirmed that they have no such intentions to change plans.

Now the next stage is to book round-trip tickets through Aer Lingus.  I will book outgoing from San Francisco to Dublin and then to Glasgow, and we depart Edinburgh to Dublin and back to San Francisco.  I plan to book those tickets at the beginning of next year.  Then from there I will order some quid through my bank for the caddie cash, and then we are all set.

I just got an email from Aer Lingus offering up to $250 off flights…

North Berwick ..... Meh!

Gullane Number 2 - the members favourite, is so much better.

Edited by Pete O'Tube

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

39 minutes ago, El Gringo said:

I think this is the case and I don't think Gullane 1 is in the class of North Berwick. I prefer G3 to the other Gullanes 🤷. More interesting greens and quick to play. 

Speaking as a near local, NB is in the elite league and a true links. Then it’s the 2nd division: G1, 2 & 3 in that order but don’t ignore Luffness next door and Dunbar. 

haha.

In the last two months I have played a few, with members and for me:

Muirfield

North Berwick

Gullane 1

Louffness

Gullane 2

North Berwick hosted my club for a match and it was awesome, I had never played there until that weekend. To me it has the feel of Muirfield in the far holes, then fair quirkiness. The club itself although we had formal dinners etc were so accommodating it was brilliant.

I played Cruden Bay on Tuesday and I would much rather play North Berwick over that day in day out.

IMG_5303.jpeg.f3096e701f29aa46a09cc98fdf762cfa.jpeg

IMG_5817.jpeg.92b8e15f7ac0734d31bed61f11d2f19a.jpeg

Edited by scott_Donald
  • Like 2
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

21 hours ago, El Gringo said:

I think this is the case and I don't think Gullane 1 is in the class of North Berwick. I prefer G3 to the other Gullanes 🤷. More interesting greens and quick to play. 

Over my 3 week trip, and with the benefit of a year’s hindsight, The Old Course and North Berwick are the clear top two for me. I enjoyed the golf at NB slightly more, but can’t beat the experience of TOC. And by my third round on TOC, I was loving the golf as much as the experience. 

Gullane 2 and 3 were very fun golf, memorable. I found Gullane 1 less so on both counts. You can “feel” It presents a championship caliber test - but I didn’t love it. Honestly, the amount of grest golf is off the charts and don’t think you can go wrong. 

Royal Aberdeen in the wind just destroyed me. The hardest 18 holes I played, by far. Beat me up so bad (plus a lot of car time) that Cruden Bay the next day just had no shot. I can still remember many holes but I was toast physically and mentally. Next time I’ll probably try to bundle 2 days at Cruden Bay with a couple days at Dornoch. 

4 hours ago, philsRHman said:

Royal Aberdeen in the wind just destroyed me. The hardest 18 holes I played, by far. Beat me up so bad (plus a lot of car time) that Cruden Bay the next day just had no shot. I can still remember many holes but I was toast physically and mentally. Next time I’ll probably try to bundle 2 days at Cruden Bay with a couple days at Dornoch. 

Haha was it that windy; I can't remember!

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

On 10/21/2022 at 11:22 PM, sabram said:

I and about 9O% of other golfers who have played North Berwick would disagree as do every magazine and website that has a top courses list . I like Gullane#2, but love North Berwick.

Sorry if I caused upset, but that really is my personal opinion of NB. I have played many of the great courses in Scotland and I can't see the attraction of NB. I have never enjoyed its idiosyncrasies.

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

Just read through this post. Great information. And somewhat timely. We will be doing Scotland (1st time) in 2024.  Troon, Prestwick, Carnoustie, Old Course, New Course.  Probably will stay longer than the rest of the guys, have wife come over do a couple more courses and head over to London. 

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max @ 10* (IZ-6 SR)

TSi2 @ 16.5* (Ventus Red 6R, -2g)

TSi2 @ 21* (Motore X F3 7S, -2g, tip'd .5")

818 H1 @ 24* (Diamana S+ 82S, tip'd 1.5")

Pro 223 5-GW (Modus3 115 - S) 

RTX6 54/10, RTX6 58/6 (Modus3 115 - S, 1* flat) 

Queen B #6 - Chrome Tour X 

6 hours ago, wolverine_man said:

Just read through this post. Great information. And somewhat timely. We will be doing Scotland (1st time) in 2024.  Troon, Prestwick, Carnoustie, Old Course, New Course.  Probably will stay longer than the rest of the guys, have wife come over do a couple more courses and head over to London. 

As one very wealthy man advised me, "If you do Scotland, you must do it right."  It is essential to start at least a year in advance for 2024.  I suggest you call Robin at The Experience and get things started with him.  Just call him, say hello, what your intentions are, and he will take notes and place reminders on his computer to call you back to advise you on what to do to prepare.  I cannot commend a better planner than the team at The Experience because all I did was talk to Robin, told him what I wanted, and after all was said and done, all I did was arrange my party to fly there, where our shuttle driver first picked us up, and we followed the itinerary to the hour, and at the end we tipped our driver and he dropped us off at the airport.  There were no mistakes during the whole trip, and going there the first time you do not want any.

If you are insistent on playing the Old Course, unless you know a member of the R&A who can book you a starting time, the only way you can book a time at the Old Course is through an authorized provider.  I do not know how many there are, but the first ones that come to mind are The Experience St. Andrews, Perry Golf and Haversham & Baker.  I chose The Experience because someone recommended it to me in my Scotland I thread a few years back, and I was very happy to have used them.  They tend to be pricey compared to other smaller, cheaper services, but if you have any doubts, the litmus test is that if they cannot book the Old Course, they are not an authorized provider.  Authorized providers receive from the Links Trust a specific allotment of starting times at The Old Course, and they merely package them with hotels and mark up somewhere between 20-25% so they can earn a living.  The Experience receives their allotments in pairs: Old Course plus another one in St. Andrews which do not have a choice.  For Scotland I we had Jubilee, which was a great course by the way, but the coveted allotment pair, I understand, is Old and New.  I developed a good relationship with Robin, and after giving him great business for our first trip, maybe that helped us get preference for Old and New.  For Scotland II, we got Old and New, but the starting time at New is very early, and rescheduling for a later time at New means forsaking our time at the Old, so we will be perfectly willing to get up early and miss our full-service breakfast at the Old Course Hotel and just grab the granola bars and yogurt on the way out.

I just had dinner with one of my guests, who shared with me his experience of his first tee shot at the Old Course.  There we were, at 1120A on the Monday morning after the US Open won by Gary Woodland, looking out at that wide fairway.  The photographer from The Experience took our pictures and we were ready to go.  First to go was my guest, and he said this about his first tee shot at The Old Course:

As I was setting up to hit, before I pulled the trigger I was wondering if people were watching me from behind.  I stopped, looked back and saw a bunch of members looking out the window at me from the R&A clubhouse.  I stepped back, tipped my cap at them, and went through my preshot routine.  I was very nervous, but I striped my tee shot straight down the middle.

My tee shot was not so good.  Having been the seventh course we played for the trip, I was just going through my preshot routine, so I was not nervous.  Despite not caring about the R&A watching me as well as the whole town ("toon," as they say in Scotland), I didn't hack my shot, but overfaded it and I ended up about ten yards short of going OB right.  Nevertheless, I was glad to be in play, and that tee shot was en route to my one-over 37 going out and we ended up closing our opponents 7&6 because I struck the ball very well that day, I had my strokes, and my partner made a few birdies, so our match was easy.

At the end, the same photographer joined us on the 17th hole and took more pictures of us, and a month after we returned we received a beautiful picture book of us teeing off on the first hole, seventeenth and eighteenth holes.  Indeed the whole trip was an experience we will never forget.

The Experience Picture Book.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

As one very wealthy man advised me, "If you do Scotland, you must do it right."  It is essential to start at least a year in advance for 2024.  I suggest you call Robin at The Experience and get things started with him.  Just call him, say hello, what your intentions are, and he will take notes and place reminders on his computer to call you back to advise you on what to do to prepare.  I cannot commend a better planner than the team at The Experience because all I did was talk to Robin, told him what I wanted, and after all was said and done, all I did was arrange my party to fly there, where our shuttle driver first picked us up, and we followed the itinerary to the hour, and at the end we tipped our driver and he dropped us off at the airport.  There were no mistakes during the whole trip, and going there the first time you do not want any.

If you are insistent on playing the Old Course, unless you know a member of the R&A who can book you a starting time, the only way you can book a time at the Old Course is through an authorized provider.  I do not know how many there are, but the first ones that come to mind are The Experience St. Andrews, Perry Golf and Haversham & Baker.  I chose The Experience because someone recommended it to me in my Scotland I thread a few years back, and I was very happy to have used them.  They tend to be pricey compared to other smaller, cheaper services, but if you have any doubts, the litmus test is that if they cannot book the Old Course, they are not an authorized provider.  Authorized providers receive from the Links Trust a specific allotment of starting times at The Old Course, and they merely package them with hotels and mark up somewhere between 20-25% so they can earn a living.  The Experience receives their allotments in pairs: Old Course plus another one in St. Andrews which do not have a choice.  For Scotland I we had Jubilee, which was a great course by the way, but the coveted allotment pair, I understand, is Old and New.  I developed a good relationship with Robin, and after giving him great business for our first trip, maybe that helped us get preference for Old and New.  For Scotland II, we got Old and New, but the starting time at New is very early, and rescheduling for a later time at New means forsaking our time at the Old, so we will be perfectly willing to get up early and miss our full-service breakfast at the Old Course Hotel and just grab the granola bars and yogurt on the way out.

I just had dinner with one of my guests, who shared with me his experience of his first tee shot at the Old Course.  There we were, at 1120A on the Monday morning after the US Open won by Gary Woodland, looking out at that wide fairway.  The photographer from The Experience took our pictures and we were ready to go.  First to go was my guest, and he said this about his first tee shot at The Old Course:

As I was setting up to hit, before I pulled the trigger I was wondering if people were watching me from behind.  I stopped, looked back and saw a bunch of members looking out the window at me from the R&A clubhouse.  I stepped back, tipped my cap at them, and went through my preshot routine.  I was very nervous, but I striped my tee shot straight down the middle.

My tee shot was not so good.  Having been the seventh course we played for the trip, I was just going through my preshot routine, so I was not nervous.  Despite not caring about the R&A watching me as well as the whole town ("toon," as they say in Scotland), I didn't hack my shot, but overfaded it and I ended up about ten yards short of going OB right.  Nevertheless, I was glad to be in play, and that tee shot was en route to my one-over 37 going out and we ended up closing our opponents 7&6 because I struck the ball very well that day, I had my strokes, and my partner made a few birdies, so our match was easy.

At the end, the same photographer joined us on the 17th hole and took more pictures of us, and a month after we returned we received a beautiful picture book of us teeing off on the first hole, seventeenth and eighteenth holes.  Indeed the whole trip was an experience we will never forget.

We have already booked through GolfBreaks by PGA Tour with Chris Bowles.  We did that this past Winter. Appreciate the advice. We are staying at Piersland when playing Troon and Prestwick and then at the Old Course Hotel for the other courses. We were guaranteed a tee time on TOC, but we will not know our time slot until, some time next year, I think he said. I believe he said Fall of next year, I would have to look up the e-mail, but it was a certain time when the tee sheet opened up each year, like you said. 

Edited by wolverine_man

Rogue ST Max @ 10* (IZ-6 SR)

TSi2 @ 16.5* (Ventus Red 6R, -2g)

TSi2 @ 21* (Motore X F3 7S, -2g, tip'd .5")

818 H1 @ 24* (Diamana S+ 82S, tip'd 1.5")

Pro 223 5-GW (Modus3 115 - S) 

RTX6 54/10, RTX6 58/6 (Modus3 115 - S, 1* flat) 

Queen B #6 - Chrome Tour X 

15 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

Residents of St. Andrews and of Fife can be members aka Links Ticket Holders and can get guests on The Old Course (TOC).

Or you can get on TOC through the annual ballot.

Or the 48 hour ballot.

Or by showing up early to the starter.

Don't let a tour operator tell you that they are the only ones who can get you on TOC.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1