Help Me Plan My Scotland II Trip For 2023

16 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

I am reading a common theme here, that the membership and staff are more snooty at Carnasty than at The Honourable Company.  Makes me feel glad that I skipped that course in the Scotland I trip three years ago.  My attitude is to play that course just for the sake of playing it, and to see how hard those finishing holes are.

Suggestion: don’t go to Carnoustie, or anywhere else, expecting them to be snooty or nasty. You go in with attitude and it is always obvious — a person appears defensive and hostile no matter how slick and worldly you think you are at hiding it. 

You’ll get your bag tag though. 

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Can honestly say in multiple trips to Ireland and Scotland I have never run into anyone snooty or unwelcoming.   Some people obviously less chatty than others but have never had any issue.   Actually it has been quite the opposite.   Striking up a good conversation with some people have allowed me to see or learn about facts of the club that others may not have experienced.

No hats or outerwear jackets allowed in the club/bar areas which I personally really like.  

• Like 1

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

22 minutes ago, buckI said:

Can honestly say in multiple trips to Ireland and Scotland I have never run into anyone snooty or unwelcoming.   Some people obviously less chatty than others but have never had any issue.   Actually it has been quite the opposite.   Striking up a good conversation with some people have allowed me to see or learn about facts of the club that others may not have experienced.

No hats or outerwear jackets allowed in the club/bar areas which I personally really like.  

Most places no trainers in the clubhouse either!

One of my fave things to do is hang around the practice putting or chipping green and chatting to all the random visitors! My fave randoms was a group from Boston last year!

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

On 1/13/2023 at 7:10 AM, philsRHman said:

Carnoustie offered a disinterested, distant and even standoffish attitude and reception 

I have heard people say this about the course itself....Carnoustie is hard!

• Haha 1

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

• 3 weeks later...

Never had a bad experience at Carnoustie- always very welcoming and down to earth. One comment on hotels in Edinburgh- would prefer “The Scotsman” experience over the Balmoral - have stayed in both but chalk and cheese as they say! Mind you the night porter did get us bacon rolls at 5am - but prefer The Scotsman it is just off the Royal Mile and classier. With better views and closer to the Grass market. As for Lothian - North Berwick all day long and I would rather play Dunbar over Gullane but Gullane is a good days golf on the hill all the same.

Dont sweat Muirfield it is very welcoming and not “snooty” much! You can always substitute a golfer if you call the Secretary before the day - easy. Your Agent can sort all that no worries.

You seem a very generous chap and hope you have a great trip in Bonny Scotland.

For dining in Edinburgh - book Tom Kitchin’s “The Kitchin” in Leith now - as you seem to like a nice dining experience - when you get their order from the Scottish local produce menu ( that is basically what they do) but they have a regional and seasonal menu which explains why etc. just ask the sommelier to bring the best stuff to suit what your team order - you will not be disappointed!!

Not cheap by the way but superb stuff!!

On 1/15/2023 at 11:48 AM, hammergolf said:

We did the same thing on #6. The thing about Carnoustie that is cool that you don’t notice until after your round, is it gets progressively a little bit tougher each hole. By the time you get to 15 you strap in because the last 4 are among the toughest collection of finishing holes in golf anywhere. It’s a great course with really strong finishing holes, but it won’t be the warmest welcome you’ll receive in Scotland, and god forbid you need some flexibility with your tee time because you’ll be S.O.L.

Hammer - you got it - the slow steady build up of tougher holes makes this for me one of the best golf courses you can ever play - it’s not scenic - it’s not nice - it’s just f’kin tough to finish - great golf course in my opinion. Love it!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AltC said:

For dining in Edinburgh - book Tom Kitchin’s “The Kitchin” in Leith now - as you seem to like a nice dining experience - when you get their order from the Scottish local produce menu ( that is basically what they do) but they have a regional and seasonal menu which explains why etc. just ask the sommelier to bring the best stuff to suit what your team order - you will not be disappointed!!

Not cheap by the way but superb stuff!!

It's six months for a Friday/ Saturday dinner. Love the restaurant, certainly my favourite fancy restaurant in Scotland to eat at!

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

All this Scotland talk has got me thinking about my trip in July.

To get a direct flight, a few of us are arriving in Edinburgh a day early and wanted suggestions of where to stay/dine in the city before making our way to Turnberry.

I think arriving a full day early will help with getting over jet lag and loosen up.

It is worth noting that only half of our eightsome will be playing Turnberry as some guys can't separate politics from swing thoughts....is this crazy?

Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400

13 hours ago, njlam said:

To get a direct flight, a few of us are arriving in Edinburgh a day early and wanted suggestions of where to stay/dine in the city before making our way to Turnberry.

I think arriving a full day early will help with getting over jet lag and loosen up.

It is worth noting that only half of our eightsome will be playing Turnberry as some guys can't separate politics from swing thoughts....is this crazy?

Obviously the owner of Turnberry is a very polarizing figure. I’m on the right and I can’t stand him personally, but that would never stop me from playing golf. We had one of my friends on our Ireland trip that is very left, but he didn’t have a problem with playing Doonbeg. In fact after the round he couldn’t stop saying how much he loved the course. There are dems I despise, but if they had a really great golf course I would play it. However in the cancel culture we live in today there are many who can’t separate golf vs politics. 

Edited by hammergolf

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

7 hours ago, njlam said:

Hmmmm tricky, Edinburgh has so many nice hotels all very central; alot depends on budget. Assume you know it will take a couple of hours ish to get to Turnberry, where are you staying down that way?

Haha! Americans and politics, I loved starting a politics debate with all my Texan friends, was fascinating!

My biggest problem with the owner of the course is he is nuts but as far as golf goes its the price, wow they are expensive. Turnberry is gorgeous, easier course than I thought it would be, I played it with no wind, perfect sunny day and it was blissful! I stayed int he hotel for 3 nights and just golfed once, getting married at Culzean Castle distracted me from too much golf! Its funny you hear stories in Turnberry how good he has been to the staff and surrounding area vs how he has been here in Aberdeen!

5 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Obviously the owner of Turnberry is a very polarizing figure. I’m in the right and I can’t stand him personally, but that would never stop me from playing golf. We had one of my friends on our Ireland trip that is very left, but he didn’t have a problem with playing Doonbeg. In fact after the round he couldn’t stop saying how much he loved the course. There are dems I despise, but if they had a really great golf course I would play it. However in the cancel culture we live in today there are many who can’t separate golf vs politics. 

Good vs Evil it seems!

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Our tour operator says it is not uncommon for Americans coming to Scotland to opt out of Turnberry which is why they put it a the beginning of many itineraries, so those who want to make political statements with their golf itineraries can just show up a day late (or play another nearby course). Originally, we were going to stay there two nights, but to keep the group together as much as possible, we are only going to stay one night (to get those who are playing preferential tee times), which is a shame as it is a nice looking hotel/property.

Behind TOC and Muirfield, I think Turnberry has to be one of the more iconic Scottish courses...It was here over 100 years ago and will likely have another owner in the next 100 years....why skip it?

Back to my original question. Where to stay/dine in Edinburgh? Location and convenience is more important that cost.

Scott - Culzean Castle is a super place   Must have been a fantastic doo!! 
Agree that the pricing and not just at Trump owned venues is becoming a significant consideration for people planning golf trips in Scotland. However this also means some of the less fanfared courses should be getting more visitors hopefully- I wouldn’t pay the sort of cash Trump is asking to play the Ailsa - (have not played it) however for Mackenzie Ross fans you can play Southerness GC (designed and built at the same time as the Ailsa on a completely different piece of ground obviously) - for 80 quid summer weekday rate. Yes it’s not the duel in the sun but it’s a great golf course very welcoming club and super value. It’s a wee bit remote from the Ayrshire courses but still only a 2 hour steady drive from Glasgow or Edinburgh. Whilst there head over the border to Silloth on Solway (Willie Park) it’s an even better links gem for 70 quid. Just got to get creative with the itinerary- I like suggesting courses which may not be on people’s radar from far away as there are so many great courses to choose from if you get past the open rota and famous venues. However I do appreciate that people want the history / memories aspect and there are some courses which are a must - like The Old however again I would rather play the New in terms of value.  Have played the Old several times so it’s no longer a must!! Hit it low and straight and keep the mits in the bag for now I expect in BS.

24 minutes ago, njlam said:

Our tour operator says it is not uncommon for Americans coming to Scotland to opt out of Turnberry which is why they put it a the beginning of many itineraries, so those who want to make political statements with their golf itineraries can just show up a day late (or play another nearby course). Originally, we were going to stay there two nights, but to keep the group together as much as possible, we are only going to stay one night (to get those who are playing preferential tee times), which is a shame as it is a nice looking hotel/property.

Behind TOC and Muirfield, I think Turnberry has to be one of the more iconic Scottish courses...It was here over 100 years ago and will likely have another owner in the next 100 years....why skip it?

Back to my original question. Where to stay/dine in Edinburgh? Location and convenience is more important that cost.

The Scotsman Hotel and The Kitchin Restaurant- see above posts for why - but there are a load of other choices The Hotel in the Grassmarket is good if you request the upper floor rooms with terrace facing the Castle - plus they have a car park. Scotsman is valet parking. For a wander around and nice lunch I always liked The Shore bar and bistro down in Leith as well.

38 minutes ago, njlam said:

I personally live the Cheval Old Town apartments; right on the Royal Mile and perfect location, only pain in the a** is parking as they don't valet and its a tight car park then send you to. Don't think you have to worry about that. There are some better hotels but for me it's the best value and location. 

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

6 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

Hmmmm tricky, Edinburgh has so many nice hotels all very central; alot depends on budget. Assume you know it will take a couple of hours ish to get to Turnberry, where are you staying down that way?

Haha! Americans and politics, I loved starting a politics debate with all my Texan friends, was fascinating!

My biggest problem with the owner of the course is he is nuts but as far as golf goes its the price, wow they are expensive. Turnberry is gorgeous, easier course than I thought it would be, I played it with no wind, perfect sunny day and it was blissful! I stayed int he hotel for 3 nights and just golfed once, getting married at Culzean Castle distracted me from too much golf! Its funny you hear stories in Turnberry how good he has been to the staff and surrounding area vs how he has been here in Aberdeen!

Good vs Evil it seems!

There are good people in politics??? Lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, scott_Donald said:

I personally live the Cheval Old Town apartments; right on the Royal Mile and perfect location, only pain in the a** is parking as they don't valet and its a tight car park then send you to. Don't think you have to worry about that. There are some better hotels but for me it's the best value and location. 

Anywhere close to The Bow bar is good by me!!! Hehe

6 hours ago, AltC said:

Scott - Culzean Castle is a super place   Must have been a fantastic doo!! 
Agree that the pricing and not just at Trump owned venues is becoming a significant consideration for people planning golf trips in Scotland. However this also means some of the less fanfared courses should be getting more visitors hopefully- I wouldn’t pay the sort of cash Trump is asking to play the Ailsa - (have not played it) however for Mackenzie Ross fans you can play Southerness GC (designed and built at the same time as the Ailsa on a completely different piece of ground obviously) - for 80 quid summer weekday rate. Yes it’s not the duel in the sun but it’s a great golf course very welcoming club and super value. It’s a wee bit remote from the Ayrshire courses but still only a 2 hour steady drive from Glasgow or Edinburgh. Whilst there head over the border to Silloth on Solway (Willie Park) it’s an even better links gem for 70 quid. Just got to get creative with the itinerary- I like suggesting courses which may not be on people’s radar from far away as there are so many great courses to choose from if you get past the open rota and famous venues. However I do appreciate that people want the history / memories aspect and there are some courses which are a must - like The Old however again I would rather play the New in terms of value.  Have played the Old several times so it’s no longer a must!! Hit it low and straight and keep the mits in the bag for now I expect in BS.

I was asked to play the Old Course tomorrow and turned it down, not in a golf mood at all. Will keep my friends points for another day later in the year. 

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

3 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

I was asked to play the Old Course tomorrow and turned it down, not in a golf mood at all. Will keep my friends points for another day later in the year. 

Sure, just rub it in….   Lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Sure, just rub it in….   Lol

Better still; due to frost he is now playing The New later in the day!

• Like 1
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Aye it will be a bit arctic out there on the Links land at the minute - I can’t be bothered with all the dressing and un dressing all day - don’t mind the cold or the wind but throw in some icy showers and it’s a pain cartin’ yer rain troos out then packing them back in the bag etc. good tip for lightweight touring is just forget the waterproof trousers - buy a pair of those hill walking trousers (dark colors best) and just accept getting wet - they dry out in the wind in a half hour playing golf. Also buy a good waterproof lightweight breathable jacket - cross golf make a great one - and get it in black or navy which you can also wear to the pub at night - the gaudy bright colored stuff just paints a target on your back for the local feral youth.

Wish I couldn’t be bothered to play the Old - first world problem’s indeed!!!

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 11:40 PM, scott_Donald said:

It's six months for a Friday/ Saturday dinner. Love the restaurant, certainly my favourite fancy restaurant in Scotland to eat at!

Share the others which you like- I will state the Aga Khan Turkish restaurant in Dundee on the Perth road as a personal favourite - there are only 20 seats - get in there quick. The dudes coming from USA ( which is most on this forum) just want some decent advice I guess. The Fish and chips at “the tower” in Lockerbie is worth a shout!!! As is the chipper in Crail.

12 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

Better still; due to frost he is now playing The New later in the day!

Do you know what percentage of the tee times for The Old are kept for members during the summer?

17 hours ago, AltC said:

Share the others which you like- I will state the Aga Khan Turkish restaurant in Dundee on the Perth road as a personal favourite - there are only 20 seats - get in there quick. The dudes coming from USA ( which is most on this forum) just want some decent advice I guess. The Fish and chips at “the tower” in Lockerbie is worth a shout!!! As is the chipper in Crail.

The chipper in Anstruther is good. In fact two are good. May as well play the 9 holer there for a complete evening. It's not a great courde, but there are a few cool holes and lovely views. 

10 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Do you know what percentage of the tee times for The Old are kept for members during the summer?

No, the R & A have the biggest pull on the course, he is a New club member, there is a tier system for access to the Old. St Andrews Uni golf team have a great access to the course so we have always used one of them.

The R & A have every second time in September for members due to it being the Autumn meeting, I think it is the same in May but they are not all used obviously. My dad's good friend from Canada is a member with the R&A and RAGC so he comes across and plays in both Spring meetings in May with a few others, great bunch of guys(even Pine Valley members in there).

1 hour ago, El Gringo said:

The chipper in Anstruther is good. In fact two are good. May as well play the 9 holer there for a complete evening. It's not a great courde, but there are a few cool holes and lovely views. 

Best chipper I have ever had is Gourdon Chipper, I drive 40 minutes to get one from time to time. I even own my own chipper so that is saying things!

• Thanks 1
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

11 hours ago, hammergolf said:

As I understand it the clubs - R&A, New club, St Rule etc get a time allocation certain days of the week - I don’t know the details but for instance 9 till 10:20 for the R&A on Mondays and Thursdays - but the clubs run their own bookings and if they don’t get filled by a few days before they are released back to the Trust for allocation. There are some exceptions- St Andrews University get some times and - here is the one I really like if you attend school in StAndrews (any school) you can play for free whenever you like ( must be min 2 ball for standing obviously) My Daughter went to school at Madras - but sadly never availed herself of the privilege. I think that’s cool though that local kids can rock up and the starter will fit them in pretty much straight away.

• Like 1