Swing slowing down.....what to do with shaft I was fitted into???

I was fit 2 years ago into Rogue Silver 110 60 Xstiff.  Since then my ball striking has gotten much better and so has my play.  But, as a function of that...my swing speed has gone down.   Im getting fatter and older and just don't like going after the ball like i used to.     I was swinging 114mph before, but now i'm down around 105ish.   

I just got a G410 head and reshafted one of my Rogue xstiff into it....and i hit it well, carry 275ish on a good drive....but still get ABSOLUTELY NO roll.....which is the other issue i deal with.   my buddy that carries the ball like 220 drives near me because he gets roll and my ball does one hop and stops.

But short of getting refit....is it as simple as tossing a rogue stiff in there and keep trucking....or should i go through the whole process again?    Im halfway considering getting on of the rogue elite green shafts off ebay and just give it a shot.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything is possible but it is unlikely that going to a softer shaft will help with issue of you having no roll.    A softer shaft (if it does anything) tends to increase launch and spin - which would make your roll out issues worse.   However, it's impossible to say for sure until you try it. 

Now, if the current shaft feels too stiff to you and you think that stiffer feel is making you "go after it" more than you really want to, then it certainly would be worth giving a softer shaft a try.  The Rogue Elite Green, tour green, or even the NXT GEN NV have similar profiles as the Rogue silver so any of them might be worth trying now that you can get them for a pretty low price.

EDIT - just want to add the Green 2kxv NV to that list.

But the roll out issue would likely need a more detailed fitting to properly diagnose the cause (or really just some time on an LM collecting data at a retail store "fitting" might be enough).   Although if it is because the launch/spin is too high that more typically would be a head loft issue or a face impact location issue or a swing issue (too much dynamic loft - hands too far behind the ball at impact - fairly common for ams trying to force a positive AoA).   Less typically is it a shaft issue.

Edited by Stuart_G

so.....i should go get a FULL fitting?    I say that...because my fitter used the shafts he had on site in one of my driver heads, and then made a suggestion based off those results for the rogue.   I never actually tried the rogue before buying a few..  i just sold my 2016 M2 and 2017 M1 with my stiff flex rogues too, dammit.

14 hours ago, GSRswapandslow said:

so.....i should go get a FULL fitting?    I say that...because my fitter used the shafts he had on site in one of my driver heads, and then made a suggestion based off those results for the rogue.   I never actually tried the rogue before buying a few..  i just sold my 2016 M2 and 2017 M1 with my stiff flex rogues too, dammit.

That's not easy to answer.  The word "fitting" and even "full fitting" means different things to different individuals.  There are ideals for what a fitting should consist of but a very large percentage of those people calling themselves fitters are NOT aware of those ideals.    Just as an example, if you never actually tried the shaft during the fitting, from my perspective it wasn't really much of a fitting.   Recommendations are fine but that's a lot different then being fit into the shaft.   But many people are limited to what they have available as fitting resources.   That's what got me started in this a while ago, I didn't have any reasonably good options available so I learned how to do it myself.

The important thing is to get out and try different shafts and see what happens to the actual results and feel.  A very good fitter can certainly be a big help with that process - at least if they have a good inventory to work with.  But there are other ways to do it as well.  Demo days, demoing shafts from retail fitting carts, hitting a friends driver, or even buying a shaft to test without being fit into it.    When picking a shaft, really the feel and the consistency of the results are what the decision should be based on - or add shot shape control and accuracy for higher level players.  So you don't really need an LM for that.    The numbers can be more important when selecting a head and head loft - or identifying possible contributing factors from the swing.

If the main problem is that you want to address is the roll out issue and not the feel of your current shaft, I might try to find some retail store with an LM that will allow you to collect some numbers.  Then you can bring them here for some advice on what the problem might be (if there really is one).   Important things to get is club head speed, ball speed, launch angle, backspin, dynamic loft.   And just as important is to use some foot powder spray to check your face impact location and consistency.  You can actually do that first on your own - but also continue to do it if you can get on an LM.

Edited by Stuart_G

7 hours ago, GSRswapandslow said:

I was fit 2 years ago into Rogue Silver 110 60 Xstiff.  Since then my ball striking has gotten much better and so has my play.  But, as a function of that...my swing speed has gone down.   Im getting fatter and older and just don't like going after the ball like i used to.     I was swinging 114mph before, but now i'm down around 105ish.   

I just got a G410 head and reshafted one of my Rogue xstiff into it....and i hit it well, carry 275ish on a good drive....but still get ABSOLUTELY NO roll.....which is the other issue i deal with.   my buddy that carries the ball like 220 drives near me because he gets roll and my ball does one hop and stops.

But short of getting refit....is it as simple as tossing a rogue stiff in there and keep trucking....or should i go through the whole process again?    Im halfway considering getting on of the rogue elite green shafts off ebay and just give it a shot.

Your ball spins too much, your friends ball not nearly as much.  I get run out from my drives but hit the ball too hard, not like my buddy or my wife.  Both of them get lots of rolls on nice fairways but neither hits the ball hard and neither play ProV balls.  In other words, I don't think it's the shaft profile.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

1 hour ago, GSRswapandslow said:

does the shaft profile not have a direct correlation to ball spin?

Only for those players that:

1) are not sensitive to changes in feel from the shaft so delivery does not change as the profile changes

AND

2) who have a late release relative to their swing speed.

But that correlation is softer = more spin and higher launch (a bit more dynamic loft at impact) and for most it's really not that large of an influence.

The problem is that there are many who are sensitive to some degree to the change in feel.   As the feel changes, small changes in the swing occur - tempo, rhythm, grip pressure, release timing, etc..  e.g. If the stiffer feel that you get now with the slower swing speed makes you think you have to "go after it" more than you'd prefer, then you would be included in that category.   Actually you could be included even if you're not aware of any changes to the swing.  In most cases those changes are subconscious.   And those subjective (indirect) changes can easily override any direct effects you'll get from the profile change.

Edited by Stuart_G

De-lofting 1* will reduce your spin by almost 300RPM’s and a change of balls can help, depending on the ball you play. 

I’m I’m the other end of the spectrum. I needed to add spin so I changed balls  from a Bridgestone BX to a BXS and that increased my spin rate by 250+ rpm’s. I decided I didn’t want to change balls due to my irons being plenty high spin, so I lofted up on my driver and gained about 300rpms. 

A combination of both may reduce your spin enough to make substantial gains. 

You can Google a ball test online and see which may most beneficial. 

The ones below are some of the lowest spinning you will find! 

Titleist AVX 

Taylormade TP5x

Bridgestone Tour BRX

Srixon QStar

Bridgestone BX

Callaway ERC soft