Brand New Beginner. Help & Advice

I have wanted to take up the sport for quite a few years now.  Finances and honestly, a fear of how technical the sport is, always kept me on the sidelines.  So, now a 46 year old male, 5 ft 9 inches tall, and probably swung a club 30 times in my life.  I really need help on finding good irons and preferably ones that don’t look ancient.  I am finding that whole sets are quite expensive, so would like 5, 7, and 9 irons and wedges be enough?  I have researched lots of brands and models and I am very mixed up.  I live in a small town where no golf bays to find speed and timing exist.  Can any of you veterans help me out?  What are good, reliable irons for a beginner that wants to hit straight, tons of forgiveness, and would like to shoot below 115 at some point?  Many thanks.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This.  All of this.  If you find out you hate golf, you're out $400 or so.  If you love it, we'll gladly welcome you to the Golfwrx Club Ho Support Group when we make you believe you need to spend $5,

The most important question...   Who's your college football team?   That'll tell me whether I should help you or gaslight you with my responses 😉  

At 5’9”, you will likely fit into relatively standard spec clubs (you’re around the average height), so you should be able to get along fairly well with most stock clubs. Get something a few years old

There is nothing wrong with getting irons that look ancient.  It is a good starting point until you get your swing figured out and get the ball airborne consistently.  It also helps if you get a few rounds into it and find out golf isn't for you.  You haven't make a $1,000 investment in new clubs only to find out you hate golf.

Play a year with a beginner set or "ancient" clubs and then if you still like golf, you can make a bigger investment.

At your size, get a used set of SGI irons and spend money on lessons. When your game is ready for better clubs, upgrade 

My whole bag is less than $500 and retailed for about $3k. My irons are from '01, but everything else is the last few years. But I LOVE my irons.

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

At 5’9”, you will likely fit into relatively standard spec clubs (you’re around the average height), so you should be able to get along fairly well with most stock clubs. Get something a few years old and you won’t spend as much. While everyone loves the latest and greatest, golf tech has been (overall) relatively static for a while. 

for golf balls, if you’re willing to buy online, you can search for a site that sells lost and found golf balls in bulk on discount. That will save you another few bucks. 

Once you have some equipment, a started pack of lessons (3-5 would be a solid start) would be a good investment. 

id probably start with these clubs as a starter (mostly used)

3 or 4 fairway wood (forget the driver)

5 hybrid (don’t need 3 or 4 hybrid unless the set happens to come with it)

6-Pw irons (may even consider getting 6 hybrid, but this is where the split usually occurs)

putter

8 clubs to start with. Then if you like the game, add on from there.

• Like 1

For me, if I had to start over again, I would get a set of Ping G series irons and wedges as they're universally known the be very forgiving.  Buying them used is the best way to go.  Unfortunately, prices for used clubs has gone us considerably because of the resurgence of golf because of this pandemic so you'll be paying more now than you did a year ago.   Then practice and lessons thereafter.

To me, the age of clubs is a non issue since golf tech has stagnated for years and years and I consider it a badge of honor to shoot decent scores with older clubs while the guy next to me with a bag of the latest and greatest can't break 100.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Do you have a budget in mind?  The suggestion of ping g series is a good one.  I understand the poster who said to get 3 wood instead of driver, but I would buy a decent driver personally.  The big head is just more confidence inspiring than a 3 wood imho.  Get something with at least 10.5 degrees of loft and preferably 12.  Ping g is once again a good starting point.  Get a 4 or 5 wood.  A 4 hybrid a 6-pw as well as a 54 or 56 wedge and a putter.  If your willing to spend some money look at sub 70.  You could get a brand new set of irons for  $400.  Another off the wall option if you are willing to invest a little bit is to buy a half set of pxg new 0211’s.  They are $99 a club and not only will they not look ancient but they will turn heads...if you love the game then you can add the rest of the set and have irons that will last you for as long as you want them to.

Posted (edited)

Budget?  Hmm that’s a tough one because the wife thinks I won’t stick with it, and she might be right.  I have always wanted to play though.  If I had to make a wild stab at a budget, I would like to have good quality clubs, older is fine (y’all talked me into it) I would say 300 to 400 bucks. 

Edited by Collegefbfan

IRONS

Golfworks offers this set which imo is great for what you are looking for.  6-Gap Wedge

$149.99

The STi2 irons fall into the Super Game Improvement Design category and provide enhanced playability for a wide range of golfers. STi2 irons offer a pleasing and confidence building mid-sized profile featuring an undercut cavity to produce a low (.729") and deep center of gravity location for optimal distance and control. A four way radius sole design allows for great turf interaction in any type of course condition.

Woods/Hybrid

M890 Driver $119

M890 hybrid $59

Maltby TSW 56* sandwedge $43.99

All total for $375

Putter and bag Ebay, Goodwill, garage sale or ask around. 

Definitely get a series of lessons. I doubt you will find used Pings for your price range.

1 minute ago, DArnie said:

IRONS

Golfworks offers this set which imo is great for what you are looking for.  6-Gap Wedge

$149.99

The STi2 irons fall into the Super Game Improvement Design category and provide enhanced playability for a wide range of golfers. STi2 irons offer a pleasing and confidence building mid-sized profile featuring an undercut cavity to produce a low (.729") and deep center of gravity location for optimal distance and control. A four way radius sole design allows for great turf interaction in any type of course condition.

Woods/Hybrid

M890 Driver $119

M890 hybrid $59

Maltby TSW 56* sandwedge $43.99

All total for $375

Putter and bag Ebay, Goodwill, garage sale or ask around. 

Definitely get a series of lessons. I doubt you will find used Pings for your price range.

This.  All of this.  If you find out you hate golf, you're out $400 or so.  If you love it, we'll gladly welcome you to the Golfwrx Club Ho Support Group when we make you believe you need to spend $5,000 on a new bag.  I'm mostly joking.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0

G410 5, 7 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0

G710 4-UW - Accra 70i

Glide 3.0 54ES, 58WS Accra 70i

PING Bruzer

PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch & Craz-E **Backups**

(My son is waiting patiently for the G425 woods so he can take my old ones!)

Definitely buy a driver, not a 3 wood. Go high loft as others have said - 10.5 or 12* of loft. It doesn't need to be new, anything newer than 10 years old should be fine. Any of the big brands should work too Ping, Callaway, Taylormade, Cobra are the 4 I would look at first. Next I'd grab a 5 wood and a 7 wood, same advice as above.

Hybrids would come next, and similar advice as above - I would go for a 4 Hybrid and a 5 hybrid.

For irons I would echo everything about the G-Series. Find a used set, I think any G-Series is modern enough for you and they are tanks that last forever. Over 10 years old is fine for irons, but don't go over 20 years if you can help it. My current irons are 10 years old, have played 300+ rounds plus practice days and are still just fine. You'll probably have to get the set in 4i - GW, but I would suggest keeping the 4i and 5i in your garage and using the hybrids above. G-Series aren't the only SGI out there, but they're easy to find and highly regarded. If you find something else appealing and it's known to be an SGI (Super Game Improvement) type club, then it should be good for you. As far as just buying a half set, e.g. a 6i, 8i, PW, that would probably be fine for starting out, but it's going to be hard to find individual matching clubs to be able to put that together.

Next grab something that's in the 56 degree range for a sand wedge. The G Series would work fine if you can find it. For a beginner, bounce will be your friend. Target something with 12 - 14* of bounce. You can avoid a lob wedge and anything low bounce as a beginner, those require some practice before you can use them well.

Lastly, you've got to have a putter. Any mallet style that looks good to you is what I would suggest. Again, there's really no age limit on a putter. Used Ping, Taylormade, Odyssey are generally going to be accessibly priced. 

If this is of budget then save money buy ditching the 7 wood and one of the hybrids. 

I would skip a 3 wood all together, at this stage you probably won't be able to hit it off the deck and don't need it to go shorter off of the tee. 

Watch out for shafts. Unless you're a former athlete and know you'll have a fast swing speed I would go for "regular" shafts the first time around.

Balls - they really don't matter much the first year. You can go cheap or refurbished. 

Bag - there are so many good bags out there. All you need is something not too heavy that isn't falling apart.

Shoes - I do advise buying golf shoes. I find that I slip in running shoes, esp if there's any dew or wetness. Hit up a TJ Maxx or a Burlington type place and find some old models for cheap. You can also go online and find some good discounted ones. I'd focus on comfort so that you enjoy your time on the course.

Bluetooth speaker - some won't like this, but you're a beginner, and should be having a good time. As long as you're at a place that allows it get yourself a small / light bluetooth speaker so you can enjoy tunes while you're outside.

This is a good place to start, asking is the best route forward.

try looking fo a set a few years old, it’s not a cheap game but if you your wise enough not to follow the company hype around distance gains, a set a couple of years old will suffice.

The big companies do good  sets that will get you started.

Callaway big Bertha 

taylormade burner super launch

Cleveland launcher

Wilson SGI

also look

at Callaway pre Owned, there have lots of good deals on irons, wedges, ect.

get yourself hybrids numbers 4 and 5 at least, easy to hit off the fairway or tee.

I brought a new Walter Hagen  hybrid from dicks sporting goods many many years ago, cost me $90

Its the only club that has remained in my bag,

that was probably the cheapest new hybrid club made by any manufacturer in the world, so don’t get too hooked up on it has to be expensive to be any good when your only starting out.

I wouldn’t get too concerned about the technical side yet, have fun, hit the ball,

find it, hit it again till you get it in the hole, that’s basically all you need to know for now.

If you find your enjoying it and it’s something you will want to carry on with, invest in lessons,

hope this is a small pointer.

Edited by dongodfrey

I just started playing last year and became obsessed quick.  A lot of people told me to spend money on lessons, not clubs........Of course I didn't listen and dropped thousands on all new clubs.  

They were right.  I got my first lesson recently and that's the best money I've spent so far.  Definitely get a decent set of used clubs and buy lessons.  If you end up hating golf, resell the clubs and you won't lose too much.  

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Collegefbfan said:

I am having a difficult time finding orange dot.  How important is the dot system Ping uses?

The colored dots are code for the lie angle (flat or upright). I believe orange is 2 degrees flat. If you don't yet know the terms "flat" and "upright" just do a quick google search.

Since you're just starting off... I would try and find clubs as close to standard (length and lie angle) that you can. If you end up really enjoying the game you can go get fit for clubs in a year or two once your swing is moderately consistent. That is when they can measure you for all of those specs (length, loft, lie, shaft flex, etc...).

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 1

Driver - is a weapon when used well, get one. See 2016 M2, Ping G30, Callaway XR16 - all should be affordable

5W - learn to hit fairway woods, has loft for forgiveness, isn't super long length. - Same company as driver

4H - next longest club, the gaps will be close to 5W once you learn to swing a bit, and you'll find its super useful. you will love this club. - Get a Ping G30 here. will be money for years and is affordable

5i-AW - something like Ping G, Titleist AP1, Callaway XR, would be great from 716 or 718 as they will last you a long time. Really is worth getting a few clubs here, just because after a few lessons you'll start to figure it out, so just buy a set now rather than later.

Depending on the loft of the AW (get the set gap wedge, don't go specialty wedge), get 1-2 more wedges. if AW is 48*, get a 52/58. If the AW is 50-51, get a 56 and be done.

This is a set that you will be able to use comfortably to learn with and then will be able to game easily for years and years.

Ping G400 LST VA Drago 65

Cobra F8+ 3W / 5W VA Slay 75

PXG Gen2 0317x 4H VA Slay 85

PXG Gen3 0311T 5-GW Oban CT 115

Titleist Vokey SM8 56/60 Oban CT 115

TaylorMade Spider X

-----------------------------------------

PXG Gen2 0317x 3H VA Slay 85 and Gen3 0311T 4i Oban CT 115 for sea level trips

Well all of this is super helpful.  I know starting at this late of an age, I won’t shoot in the 80’s and I am okay with that.  I probably won’t be able to curve a shot or hit a driver 280-300 yards.  I am ok with that too.  The sport just appeals to me, but the many technical aspects also instill a certain fear in me.  I would like to hit straight and pretty good and shoot 115 and one day, and later come in under 100.  I am pretty realistic in relation to what can be done and “buying” my way to get better is not anywhere near the top of my list.

16 hours ago, Collegefbfan said:

How about a Titleist 975J 10.5 driver for $25? Never mind just read it is for a better player.

I recently started golf when the 975J was released.  Back then, it was the only driver that they sold at that time and was marketed to all handicaps.  In a way, it is geared towards the better player especially now since the sweetspot and head size is smaller.  You're better off with a 460CC size driver.  There are plenty of them for under $100.

2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Search Taylormade Rac CGB on eBay. Great club, very very forgiving and can find sets from $100-$150. Most sets include gap and sand wedge. I don’t think you’ll find much better than that set for the money and they will be a perfect beginner set. 
Search Cobra FlyZ driver and you can find them for about $100-125. Great driver with close to current technology. Very forgiving and very solid. 
Find a used 56* wedge for cheap, maybe a cheap hybrid 20* and a garage sale putter or pawn shop. 
And you’re set...

Edited by mogc60

SRIXON ZX5 9.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 60X.                                              SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               SRIXON H85 16 MATRIX BLACKTIE 95 SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                   CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0                                         CLEVELAND RTX4 58* CATALYST 100 6.0.                                             SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38” SNELL MTB-X

Couple tips As a side note. Learn proper etiquette on the course. Try to find times to play when course isn’t busy.(kinda tough). Use the driving range or practice facilities for practice. You’ll have much more fun on the course once you are able to make solid contact once in a while.

good luck

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Collegefbfan said:

Well all of this is super helpful.  I know starting at this late of an age, I won’t shoot in the 80’s and I am okay with that.  I probably won’t be able to curve a shot or hit a driver 280-300 yards.  I am ok with that too.  The sport just appeals to me, but the many technical aspects also instill a certain fear in me.  I would like to hit straight and pretty good and shoot 115 and one day, and later come in under 100.  I am pretty realistic in relation to what can be done and “buying” my way to get better is not anywhere near the top of my list.

I cant add much more about the equipment than what has already been listed. You can piece together a set like suggested, or you could probably play just fine with a box set. Box sets dont have the glamor of a set you pieced together yourself, but they are cheap and can get you around the course. I took my wife's box set out for an experimental round a while back, and tbh, I shot pretty well.

Dont discount yourself or your potential. Without knowing how athletic you are, it's tough to speculate, but there are plenty of NAFs out there that can make their way around the course in sub 90 (the 280-300 yard drive thing is a different story and definitely relies on your athletic ability). Stop worrying about the 'technical aspects' of the game. Find a set that you like looking at and go play! Lessons are always a good idea and will provide a solid foundation. I also agree with the poster that mentioned reading a few quick articles about etiquette. I remember when I first started, I thought that everything was a PGA event. If someone was even lining up a putt I wouldnt move a muscle. LOL. Dont be like me, it sapped some of the fun out of the game when I started. It was paralysis by analysis.

It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and youre asking the right questions. I hope you find what you need, and dont forget, golf is just a game, HAVE FUN! We're here to help. (Dont go into the Instruction forum.. that place is a battledome. 🙂 )

Srixon ZX5 9.5* - GD ADDI 6S
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")
Taylormade M4 19* - UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (40.25")

Srixon ZXU 3i - Recoil95S - Softstepped - -1/2" - 2* flat
Srixon ZX5 4-AW - Recoil95S - Softstepped - -1/2" - 2* flat

Cleveland Zipcore Tour Rack 50*/54* mid, 58* low -0.5" - 2* flat 
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*
Odyssey OWorks 2ball  33.5" - 1* loft - 71* lie

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack - 34" 4* loft - 71* lie
WITB Link

Posted (edited)

I am planning on purchasing something pretty soon.  I have looked at the Ping G series.  I can't find a lot orange dot sets (which Ping says I am).  Any advice on the clubs in the last post?   Also, why are there so many 6 irons out there for sale?  If I tried to piece together a bag with 5, 7, 9 irons, they are pretty difficult to come by.

Edited by Collegefbfan

6 irons can be found individually because they are used as demo clubs. I think you are going to be hard pressed to find a minimalist set of GI clubs in the price range that you are looking. Not saying its impossible, just difficult.

The x22 and Burner irons are great choices to get started. I played both in my early golf years, and they still have a fond place in my heart (I actually used the Burner 2.0).

Srixon ZX5 9.5* - GD ADDI 6S
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")
Taylormade M4 19* - UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (40.25")

Srixon ZXU 3i - Recoil95S - Softstepped - -1/2" - 2* flat
Srixon ZX5 4-AW - Recoil95S - Softstepped - -1/2" - 2* flat

Cleveland Zipcore Tour Rack 50*/54* mid, 58* low -0.5" - 2* flat 
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*
Odyssey OWorks 2ball  33.5" - 1* loft - 71* lie

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack - 34" 4* loft - 71* lie
WITB Link

On 4/15/2021 at 6:09 PM, Collegefbfan said:

Been looking around.  I found a set of Callaway X-22 clubs.  With 6-PW.  All for $180.  They look to be in pretty good shape.  Or Taylormade Burner  Superlaunch iron set 6-PW for $16.  Any feedback?  Thanks.

I'd take the Superlaunch Irons for $16.  That'a a pretty good deal usually found in Goodwills.  The X-22s are great irons too but the TM beats them on price alone.