Anyone having trouble starting their swing? I’ve been working on my takeaway to stop rolling inside, and while I can do it, I find that thinking about it is causing me to kind of freeze over the ball. I’m just standing there so worried about getting the takeaway right that I have trouble starting my swing. I’m normally a pretty fast player with a natural trigger who just points and shoots but now I just feel very rigid. Anyone have any ideas? Or is it just comfort thing and it’ll go away eventually?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Exactly.. stop playing golf swing and play golf.   Work on your swing at the range but on the course just turn your brain off and hit the ball at the target. 

It won’t go away unless you make it go away. Fell into this last season and it was painful. A combination of rethinking when the swing happens (think vs play box), and working on Dr Kwon drills have g

I can get caught up in so many different thoughts that I can’t pull the trigger.  I make it a point now to do all my thinking before I get over the ball.  Once I step up I force myself to go very quic

3 minutes ago, rondo01 said:

It won’t go away unless you make it go away. Fell into this last season and it was painful. A combination of rethinking when the swing happens (think vs play box), and working on Dr Kwon drills have given me a reliable trigger. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNdXQDismjD/?igshid=1abh4jbdghv5w

This is really cool. How did you settle on your own trigger?

6 minutes ago, enders.seb said:

This is really cool. How did you settle on your own trigger?

the Kwon drills illuminated how much of a pressure shift I needed to feel in order to get the motor turned over. Now I just do a little shift to the left get the motion going. In that series of Instagram videos Kwon shows the different steps, with the final video being a trigger “inspired” swing.

For me it's the waggle, then off I go.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to start your swing off with a waggle or the Matt Wolff type trigger.  As for the one swing thought you are working on, don't let it consume you. 

• Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

This is an anxiety over the new takeaway thing. I think changes to the first move are the hardest to take to the course because you don't really want to be thinking about it, but it's tough to trust that a) you're doing correctly, and b) you're going to hit the ball. 

Since working on NTC, I've been adding a quick practice move to P3 whilst standing over the ball to get a feel for what I know I need to do. Then it's back to the ball, trust that the new move will work and go. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

This is an anxiety over the new takeaway thing. I think changes to the first move are the hardest to take to the course because you don't really want to be thinking about it, but it's tough to trust that a) you're doing correctly, and b) you're going to hit the ball. 

Since working on NTC, I've been adding a quick practice move to P3 whilst standing over the ball to get a feel for what I know I need to do. Then it's back to the ball, trust that the new move will work and go. 

Yeah I'm a NTC guy too. It's the "twist" that Monte has us doing along with the hinge in the initial move that is causing me all this anxiety haha. I'm just so dead set on not taking it away open that I start actually just twisting the club while it's on the ground. And then it looks ridiculously shut and I can't pick it up. Based on a lot of the replies I just need to work out a bit of a trigger and pre shot routine

17 hours ago, rondo01 said:

It won’t go away unless you make it go away. Fell into this last season and it was painful. A combination of rethinking when the swing happens (think vs play box), and working on Dr Kwon drills have given me a reliable trigger. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNdXQDismjD/?igshid=1abh4jbdghv5w

Is there any explanation as to what exactly is going on with these drills? It's very intriguing. I did the two step things a few time and I can obviously tell that it's working on some sort of ground force, biomechanic something or other... but I'd love to know what I'm actually supposed to be feeling/doing. The before/after videos are pretty eye-opening, though I'd like to know what's actually happening to the ball flight/contact.

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5 deg

Callaway Mavrik 3 wood

Cobra F9 5 Wood

Srixon H45 4 hybrid

Srixon 565 5-AW

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi Studio Stock 17

2 minutes ago, MaineMariner said:

Is there any explanation as to what exactly is going on with these drills? It's very intriguing. I did the two step things a few time and I can obviously tell that it's working on some sort of ground force, biomechanic something or other... but I'd love to know what I'm actually supposed to be feeling/doing. The before/after videos are pretty eye-opening, though I'd like to know what's actually happening to the ball flight/contact.

What you feel will be individual to you.  But the golf swing, at least good ones, are a dynamic motion versus just a centered turn.  There is horizontal, rotational, and vertical motions which involve using the ground well     These drills get at those motions and are to make the swing more dynamic.

can see lots of variation from dr kwon Instagram feed.  https://www.instagram.com/p/CNd5-yvLhKt/

dr kwon is a lot more about golf than just these drills but people can actually get into his “lab” outside Dallas and he works a lot with instructors but I don’t know of any rule that the average golfer can’t sign up for his seminars etc and even try to get kwonified themselves.  FYI http://drkwongolf.info/

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

Laugh-a while you can, monkey boy.
Enjoy every sandwich

11 minutes ago, MaineMariner said:

yeah, to my understanding these are sequence drills that get the pressure, and thus GRFs working in the right manner. To me it feel like you’re getting to the lead side a lot earlier and have the ability to torque the lead foot more, because there’s more pressure in it. 

i was tagging @glk as he responded lol. Another video that’s been enlightening:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CDow8ZhD-pD/?igshid=at7fsb2w5tu1

point being, I’ve just adopted the lead side shift as part of my overall swing as it 1. Isn’t a thought, 2. Ensures I get pressure to the trail side because I tend to under do it.

Edited by rondo01
21 minutes ago, TIM929 said:

trying to change a part of your swing and trying to control the ball on the field at the same time is the formula for a frozen worry. 

Got to choose one and commit. 

Exactly.. stop playing golf swing and play golf.

Work on your swing at the range but on the course just turn your brain off and hit the ball at the target. 

• Like 2
20 hours ago, TIM929 said:

trying to change a part of your swing and trying to control the ball on the field at the same time is the formula for a frozen worry. 

Got to choose one and commit. 

Correct.  You shouldn't worry to much.  Gradually the change will settle.  But there should be a conscious effort when playing to think about swinging the club.