2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Byron or Lajosi???

Working on my first custom and cannot decide between byron and lajosi.  I've been doing extensive research for some time now but thought I bring my question to the experts.  I currently game a SC newport 2 (lefty) so wanting to switch it up and get a carbon DH89/DD201.  It seems like Lajosi is a bit cheaper and has better communication?   I respect the simplicity of byron's putters and he seems to do great work.  I want this sucker to be soft...carbon the right option here?  Would greatly appreciate any and all input (pics greatly appreciated as well) on this topic.  Share away!

*Side note - my style and final product goal is to have a flatstick similar to spieth's 009.  

Both make great putters and both seem to be a bit difficult with communication. In my experience Byron has pretty quick turn around time if you know exactly what you want. I have not ordered anything from Lajosi.

I don't think you will actually "feel" much of a difference between carbon and SS - it is all about face milling. If you want soft just go for a deep milling for the softest feel. As far as carbon vs. SS I would choose what you like the look of better and if you want it to patina. 

• Like 1

Kari mills everything in house while Byron outsources the milling. Nothing wrong with that just give Kari a bit more freedom to make some changes to putters like he's done in the past. Want a thinner or thicker top line or longer or shorter bumpers without losing much weight Kari can do that. Byron does do a lot of hand work so he can do some alterations but he's limited with his pre-milled heads. But what they have are both great putters. 

Now seeing as you want a Spieth 009 and I assume 1 piece plumbers neck that's basically a stock DH89 just have to get Byron to do some hand finishing and it's out the door pretty quick pending the finish you pick as sometimes that's the longest part. And the DH89 is an awesome 009 shape, maybe even nicer than some 009's, I had a DH89 and it kinda cemented my love for the Anser shape.

Kari's DD201 is also very nice, I haven't seen one in person but another great Anser shape. But seeing as he milled each head it could take some time for him to get to you based on his queue of putters ahead of you. 

I don't think you could go wrong with either, if you want simple and know what you want Byron will probably be faster, Kari will be a bit cheaper maybe but wait time and shipping time/cost will be longer. 

As for feel like @FlashinLeather said it's all on the face milling and also the ball you use. If you want that Spieth 009 then go Carbon over SS as it will age and patina as well. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

3 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Kari mills everything in house while Byron outsources the milling. Nothing wrong with that just give Kari a bit more freedom to make some changes to putters like he's done in the past. Want a thinner or thicker top line or longer or shorter bumpers without losing much weight Kari can do that. Byron does do a lot of hand work so he can do some alterations but he's limited with his pre-milled heads. But what they have are both great putters. 

Now seeing as you want a Spieth 009 and I assume 1 piece plumbers neck that's basically a stock DH89 just have to get Byron to do some hand finishing and it's out the door pretty quick pending the finish you pick as sometimes that's the longest part. And the DH89 is an awesome 009 shape, maybe even nicer than some 009's, I had a DH89 and it kinda cemented my love for the Anser shape.

Kari's DD201 is also very nice, I haven't seen one in person but another great Anser shape. But seeing as he milled each head it could take some time for him to get to you based on his queue of putters ahead of you. 

I don't think you could go wrong with either, if you want simple and know what you want Byron will probably be faster, Kari will be a bit cheaper maybe but wait time and shipping time/cost will be longer. 

As for feel like @FlashinLeather said it's all on the face milling and also the ball you use. If you want that Spieth 009 then go Carbon over SS as it will age and patina as well. 

Face milling is one factor among many design aspects that determine a putter's feel. Too often is face milling depth or pattern given too much credit for feel. Other than that IMO, this is spot on.

Both are great dudes that love making great putters.

Edited by Scotty1140

1 minute ago, Scotty1140 said:

Face milling is one factor among many design aspects that determine a putter's feel. Too often is face milling depth or pattern given too much credit for feel. Other than that IMO, this is spot on.

I know light weight, cavity, cavity depth, where mass is located, etc. But face milling is usually the easiest to change something. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Ordered a Byron 16 weeks ago and still have not received it despite being quoted 2 months. All in house finishes etc. (for some reason did get the excuse the putter was waiting to be sent off for finishing in a batch - so not sure the order is even put in with Byron honestly) Communication has been brutal. I chose to ignore other threads about poor communication and other issues because of my past personal experiences (this will be my 4th Byron). 

19 minutes ago, DannyNoonin said:

Ordered a Byron 16 weeks ago and still have not received it despite being quoted 2 months. All in house finishes etc. (for some reason did get the excuse the putter was waiting to be sent off for finishing in a batch - so not sure the order is even put in with Byron honestly) Communication has been brutal. I chose to ignore other threads about poor communication and other issues because of my past personal experiences (this will be my 4th Byron). 

that's unfortunate to hear...i find myself ignoring that bad and focusing on the good as well.  So being that it's your 4th, were the others better lead times and communication?

3 hours ago, SoonerRack said:

Working on my first custom and cannot decide between byron and lajosi.  I've been doing extensive research for some time now but thought I bring my question to the experts.  I currently game a SC newport 2 (lefty) so wanting to switch it up and get a carbon DH89/DD201.  It seems like Lajosi is a bit cheaper and has better communication?   I respect the simplicity of byron's putters and he seems to do great work.  I want this sucker to be soft...carbon the right option here?  Would greatly appreciate any and all input (pics greatly appreciated as well) on this topic.  Share away!

*Side note - my style and final product goal is to have a flatstick similar to spieth's 009.  

Definitely experiment a bit with various millings. I have an Wilson 8802 and Confidence clone that milling makes them sound too soft . I seem to prefer flat faces or very slight milling.

The putter customizers seem to do a better job of customer interaction. Ken Flanigan, BOS Golf, Ron O'Neal, Ben at Prime Golf Lab have communicated with me in a manner I expect. In some cases I can just show up on their doorstep. There are many boutique putter makers in the Phoenix area 

Driver Callaway Epic Flash Star 10.5 with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

3 wood Titlesit 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

5 wood Ttleist 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

Ping G5 3 iron Aldila VS Proto 95

Irons 4-9 Ping S58 Project X 5.5

Pitching wedge Ping Gorge 47 Project X 5.5

Gap wedge Ping Tour S 52 Project X 5.5

Lob wedge Ping Glide 58 SS Project X 5.5

Putter Ping Pal 2F

6 minutes ago, SoonerRack said:

that's unfortunate to hear...i find myself ignoring that bad and focusing on the good as well.  So being that it's your 4th, were the others better lead times and communication?

Yes, the others were on their quoted time frame or very close to it with solid communication. This is my first in a while, so the rep is different from the ones I've worked with in the past. Looking at another thread someone ordered 2 months after me and already has their putter and it was one that DID need to be sent off for its finish so who knows? 

I’m partial to a Byron over the Lajosi.  Rather support American craftsmen for one and I prefer byrons head designs more. 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Yeah I have the micro on my stainless dh89.  I’ve had his tuna milling on my other two dh89’s prior and it felt nice as well.   The micro milling feels perfect to me, the right amount pop and the correct sound. 

The current dh89 with the micro milling is the best feeling putter I’ve ever owned when I paired it with a stability tour shaft.  The other two I rotate into the bag are from Compass and they feel pretty damn good as well with stabilities.  

Edited by Phabs

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

54 minutes ago, Phabs said:

Yeah I have the micro on my stainless dh89.  I’ve had his tuna milling on my other two dh89’s prior and it felt nice as well.   The micro milling feels perfect to me, the right amount pop and the correct sound. 

The current dh89 with the micro milling is the best feeling putter I’ve ever owned when I paired it with a stability tour shaft.  The other two I rotate into the bag are from Compass and they feel pretty damn good as well with stabilities.  

What's his micro milling? I think I had that but he doesn't post his different face millings but I know the Tuna and Twilight milling.

Lefty - WITB Thread

3 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

What's his micro milling? I think I had that but he doesn't post his different face millings but I know the Tuna and Twilight milling.

image.jpg

• Like 1

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

25 minutes ago, Phabs said:

image.jpg

Yup that's what I had on my DH89, didn't know the name at the time I just called it "tour milling". 

Lefty - WITB Thread

15 minutes ago, SoonerRack said:

I didnt know it existing until i saw phabs putter above.  sexy little mill

That's kinda what I meant with Byron not having all his options listed which could help a lot. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

This is the standard tuna... had it on a deep water.  Should have never sold this one 

98651D6C-127A-49FE-ADFD-BAD18909333A.jpeg.e49e54148aef2cc39aabd8bff3ddbaac.jpeg

This is the deep tuna milling that’s on my brothers dh89 I picked up for him 

E48499CE-5771-47CC-8305-C544FDFCB566.jpeg.0e2a1859df98888693e3abe5043002c5.jpeg

Edited by Phabs

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

1 hour ago, Phabs said:

This is the standard tuna... had it on a deep water.  Should have never sold this one 

98651D6C-127A-49FE-ADFD-BAD18909333A.jpeg.e49e54148aef2cc39aabd8bff3ddbaac.jpeg

This is the deep tuna milling that’s on my brothers dh89 I picked up for him 

E48499CE-5771-47CC-8305-C544FDFCB566.jpeg.0e2a1859df98888693e3abe5043002c5.jpeg

Both are really nice, the Tuna is simple but looks nice. The Deep Tuna is really nice but man that must be soft. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

4 minutes ago, SoonerRack said:

Anyone have a blank template they like to use when designing a stick to send into byron, lajosi etc?

Both have templates on their sites. Lajosi has a virtual putter builder on his site. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

4 minutes ago, SoonerRack said:

Anyone have a blank template they like to use when designing a stick to send into byron, lajosi etc?

Byron has them on his site 

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

5 minutes ago, SoonerRack said:

really?  not seeing it anywhere...?

If you’re looking on your phone that’s why.  Look on your laptop and there’s a link to them on the order page 

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Yes! Honestly I've had both but never ordered from Byron though. Lajosi is a class act and I think builds a great custom putter at a great price and love mine! Don't think you can go wrong either way though!

Titleist TSR2 10° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 19° KBS Tour Hybrid Proto

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

11 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Both are really nice, the Tuna is simple but looks nice. The Deep Tuna is really nice but man that must be soft. 

It’s not as soft as you’d expect with a stability shaft in the head.  Feels firmer than my micromilled in the 5-10 times I’ve rolled it before a round 

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

16 minutes ago, Phabs said:

It’s not as soft as you’d expect with a stability shaft in the head.  Feels firmer than my micromilled in the 5-10 times I’ve rolled it before a round 

That stability shaft may come in handy for some putters I have or coming to firm them up. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

21 minutes ago, SoonerRack said:

On the labtop, chrome and explorer browsers.  Would you be so kind to download and send my way if you see it?

thanks, 

I think those templates on his website are gone now. I remember seeing them a while ago, but now they’re not there. I’ve never gone on his site on anything but my phone and I saw them before...not now though.