You hear all of the marketing propaganda about the new drivers. No doubt the newer heads have better face design optimization for spin and forgiveness, but does anyone have any any actual monitor numbers directly comparing the old and new heads? Do the old ones launch higher and spin more? I'm particularly interested in the TM 5xx series vs anything 2017 and newer as the TM 5xx series were one of the first that were +400cc and maxed at .830 COR. 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No trackman numbers unfortunately old vs. new.  I've been on trackman with the newer offerings last year and eons ago when the older r11 and FT-9TA models were available.  When they all were hit on th

This might be something worth watching for you.... there's lots of these type of old vs new comparisons on youtube.     

No trackman numbers unfortunately old vs. new.  I've been on trackman with the newer offerings last year and eons ago when the older r11 and FT-9TA models were available.  When they all were hit on the sweet spot there wasn't much of a difference.  The biggest difference between old and new is dispersion and ball speed on mis hits.  I lose less ball speed on the newer drivers and the ball doesn't seem to go as far offline either. 

• Like 2

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

Ping G5 and V1 Rapture are my go too..plus i buy a 910/913/915/917 every summer.Just sold an M1 430 and can safely say intoo wind thats 15+ yards ahead..but i couldnt hit 60% of fairways! Rapture is still great if im great.Just grabbed a 917d3 head need a tensei blue av65R...if that can beat the 909d2 i had 2 years ago in distance,will be happy...909 was sweet! The R11s were the start of the Low Spin Era...

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

This might be something worth watching for you.... there's lots of these type of old vs new comparisons on youtube. 

• Like 1

TM SIM Max 9*  Ventus blue 6-S

Cobra Baffler 3w 16* Tour AD G60-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

TM R-11 5-PW KBS 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

Posted (edited)

KMAY, I remember watching that one now that you've reminded me. Thanks for bringing that one up. Interesting that the ball speeds are lower from a clubface that was supposed to be max COR....???

Most interesting quote, and why I was looking for the info  "You could probably pull it out of the cupboard... go play it... yep and think that that's OK. I'll go that the ball flights quite nice. You know go play your course without putting up against today's tech you're really not gonna know what's the biggest difference then are ye....."

And the search for the perfect shaft begins again.

Edited by just_steveu
added content
16 hours ago, kmay__ said:

I also like the "five years of <insert company name here> drivers" videos from Rick Shiels.  They're not perfect, but they give some idea of the comparative performance of recent (or recent-ish) sticks.  

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5*, one click lower loft, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X -or- Aldila NV105 X

3w: Cobra King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h, NV105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58*
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Rife Bimini, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

- When I've tested drivers over the years I always seem to end up with a Taylormade. So, I'm gonna see if I can try some M1/M3/M5 heads - The Sim is just plain out of my price range. I like the M1/M3 tracks... looks like there are replacement or aftermarket weights available. 

- Tried a new Callaway Epic Speed and liked it - but not $500 worth of like.... maybe $250 worth of like if I had a fitted shaft too.... LOL. Might see if I can find some 2017 - 2020 Callaway heads to test.

- I've tried several different Ping offerings over the years..... other than putters, Ping and I just don't get along. I tried the G400/410/425, the looks and feel didn't work for me.

- Have not ruled out a Titleist head, but the last ones I tried were the 975 and 983 series about 15 years ago.....

- Most used heads are 9.5* or more loft.... I kinda want to try 8.5* to go with a positive AoA of 3.5* to 5* ... let's see what I can find.

There are many videos comparing drivers. The new drivers COR is not greater on cg strikes. However, they are faster over a larger area of the face. Now, what that means on the course? A few yards maybe.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G410 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 7wd @ Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Reg
Ping g25 5-PW Steelfiber i95 Reg
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50* Mid, 54* Full @ 55, 58* Low @ 60 Hi Rev 2.0 Reg
Evnroll TR8 33"

Like Phizzy said above, if you hit it in the sweet spot you're not going to see much difference. I'd still be bagging a FT9-TA if I could keep one together. I have a SLDR 430 JDM (2012) that is still the longest driver I've ever touched. It's that minuscule sweet spot that stops me from bagging it.

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 15* 3WD.             Fujikura Ventus Red 8X

Exotics CBX119 18* 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5
MIURA CB57 4-7                            MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-001 8-P                       MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 Prototype 1.5 Beach 34/350 (A010656)

16 minutes ago, nitram said:

Like Phizzy said above, if you hit it in the sweet spot you're not going to see much difference. I'd still be bagging a FT9-TA if I could keep one together. I have a SLDR 430 JDM (2012) that is still the longest driver I've ever touched. It's that minuscule sweet spot that stops me from bagging it.

The FT-9TA also had a tiny sweet spot as well.  When my swing was off, I would be in for a long day.  Ball speeds were unbelievable though when it was crushed.  I touched 185 ball speed, my highest ever back in the day. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

In my testing with my launch monitor in my garage setup, I’m finding the same thing as phizzy said. When I hit it on the screws they are all the same, the miss hits are where the difference is with the new offerings. 

I’ve been hitting my titleist 983k, 905t and ts4 with the same ball speed on center hits. My old wood driver I mess around with is the only one that’s a bit slower on center hits(but that’s to be expected).