2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

SIM 2 vs. SIM 2 Max Shootout: RDX Blue vs. RDX Black vs. VA Nemesys

Cactus Jack

Great write up Cactus!  Glad you found the driver that works for you!  With those carry distances, 18 handicap will be in your rear view mirror real quick!

I myself have been contemplating trying the Sim 2, but the original Sim and the TSi3 drivers are just so good they're giving just about perfect numbers.

Where did you get this shootout done at? Or do you have a GC2/Quad ?

Edited by gibbiesmalls
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, gibbiesmalls said:

Great write up Cactus!  Glad you found the driver that works for you!  With those carry distances, 18 handicap will be in your rear view mirror real quick!

I myself have been contemplating trying the Sim 2, but the original Sim and the TSi3 drivers are just so good they're giving just about perfect numbers.

Where did you get this shootout done at? Or do you have a GC2/Quad ?

The shootout went down at my local PGA Superstore. For $100 per year you get unlimited use of their semi private practice bays which are equipped with Foresight launch monitors. It’s a pretty sweet deal. 

I tried the original SIM but couldn’t produce enough spin. The TSI3 however is phenomenal. I have one with a Ventus Blue and I get nearly identical results of the SIM 2. In my hands the SIM 2 is just a bit more forgiving. Also, it’s kind of weird but physiologically I have a hard time committing to the TSI3. The “players” and “traditional” marketing terms makes me feel like I’m not good enough yet to join the Titleist family. 

7 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

The shootout went down at my local PGA Superstore. For $100 per year you get unlimited use of their semi private practice bays which are equipped with Foresight launch monitors. It’s a pretty sweet deal. 

I tried the original SIM but couldn’t produce enough spin. The TSI3 however is phenomenal. I have one with a Ventus Blue and I get nearly identical results of the SIM 2. In my hands the SIM 2 is just a bit more forgiving. Also, it’s kind of weird but physiologically I have a hard time committing to the TSI3. The “players” and “traditional” marketing terms makes me feel like I’m not good enough yet to join the Titleist family. 

It's funny you should say that about Titleist.... it's also the reason why I never played them. In fact the TSI3 driver is my first ever Titleist club (I've been playing 13 years, and am down to a 2.7 hcp).

That and the fact that I've never liked seen a Titleist club (prior to the TSI3) that caught my eye.  I've never liked the looks of any of their irons. 

Doesn't have anything to do with the test as your numbers are impressive for sure. But it looks like the MAX head is cracked on the bottom.

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

8 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

You really shouldn't put yourself in a box when it comes to equipment like that.  What I mean is that if the club gives you excellent numbers, game it!  Doesn't matter if you're a scratch or 20 handicap.  Yes the TSi3 isn't as forgiving as some of the other drivers out there but it's a damn good driver and you seem to get along with it.  Your LM numbers look great.  Also, I have to ask.  Is it just me or is that SIM 2 MAX head cracked??? 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

35 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

You really shouldn't put yourself in a box when it comes to equipment like that.  What I mean is that if the club gives you excellent numbers, game it!  Doesn't matter if you're a scratch or 20 handicap.  Yes the TSi3 isn't as forgiving as some of the other drivers out there but it's a damn good driver and you seem to get along with it.  Your LM numbers look great.  Also, I have to ask.  Is it just me or is that SIM 2 MAX head cracked??? 

Sorry for the poor pic of the Max. The Max is not cracked, it’s picking up a reflection from the overhead lights. All is good with the Max. 

I hear you about not boxing myself in. Trust me, I give everything a fair shot, however my expectations are high. Performance comes first, but after that all the little things come into play. For example, the Ping G425 was cut based on looks and sound, Ironically the Mizuno STZ was cut over feel, Cobra due to the goofy colors and marketing to 20 year olds. The long story short I need to be all in on equipment, anything other than that I start to lose confidence. For now, the SIM checks all the boxes and actually inspires confidence.

I do have an Epic Max LS on my work bench waiting in the wings. That will be my next shootout....

6 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

I do have a quick question regarding launch numbers. Looking at the detail I noticed my peak height averages 120 feet. Should I attempt to get that closer to 100 feet? Maybe pick up an 8* head? 

Your launch angle is fine.  Your apex is a bit high.  I had the same issue along with higher than ideal launch which is why I went with the SIM 2 8 degree.  Brought my launch angle down 2 to 3 degrees and my apex down to about 80 to 100 feet. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, Cactus Jack said:

I do have a quick question regarding launch numbers. Looking at the detail I noticed my peak height averages 120 feet. Should I attempt to get that closer to 100 feet? Maybe pick up an 8* head? 

watch the tour, those big bombers (not stupid Bryson) are all around 110-120. as long as its not ballooning and is landing at 35* or so, to hit it that far, you're going to have to hit it at a certain height. physics of ballistics trajectories.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue

Titleist TSi2 3W, 5W Ventus TR Blue

Callaway Apex CB 4-PW DG 120

Titleist Vokey SM9 50/55/60 Oban CT 115

Ping PLD Anser

34 minutes ago, mxskier said:

watch the tour, those big bombers (not stupid Bryson) are all around 110-120. as long as its not ballooning and is landing at 35* or so, to hit it that far, you're going to have to hit it at a certain height. physics of ballistics trajectories.

Average peak height and land angle were:

SIM RDX Blue: 120 feet, and 38.8*

SIM RDX Black: 117 feet, and 38.8*

My worst swings produced:

SIM RDX Blue: High/Low: 141/84 feet, 44.4*/29.5*

SIM RDX Black: High/Low: 141/84, 44.4*/29.8*

It's scary how similar the results of the RDX shafts are, while feeling totally different. Engineering is pretty cool. 

Excellent detail.  I’ve got a similar experience, but my experience is just straight out gaming both drivers. I was one of the pre-orders for the SIM2 Max, after playing the SIM Max last year.  I play at least 3 times a week, so I had quite a bit of experience with the 2 Max.  But I started reading more about the “regular” SIM2, so I hit it at the golf shop, and ended up trading last years Max and a couple of other clubs for this years SIM2...so now I have both the SIM2 and the SIM2 Max.  

Of course I have my own aftermarket shaft, so my experiences are strictly based on the head difference.  

The thing that stands out the most to me is that the SIM2 is not “low launch” for me.  It launches about the same as the 2 Max.  The forgiveness is the same - I might even say the SIM2 may be more forgiving if either one is more.  The SIM2 reminds me of last years Max - it’s head seems larger than last years Max.  It’s forgiveness SEEMS better than last years Max.  

As far as distance is concerned, I may be getting a few more yards with the SIM2 over the 2Max, but it’s not eye popping.  I like the regular SIM2 because it looks better to me at address, and I seem to be hitting straighter shots with it as opposed to the 2 Max.

Both are great drivers - but if you think you need the 2 Max because it offers more forgiveness or is easier to hit, you may want to rethink that.

By the way, the SIM2 Max HL 3 wood is a rocket launcher! Don’t sleep on that club - it’s performing amazingly for me, and I’ve been a 5 wood guy for years because of inconsistency with 3 woods.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great write up Cactus!  Curious why the 70g Black vs 60g Blue.  Do you think a 60g Black would have yielded different results? Thanks!  I'd like to try the RDX Black to get a comparison myself.

Cally Epic Speed and Mavrik Std 9* with Tensei 1k White 50s, Titleist TSi2 4w RDX Black, Callaway Apex 3 Hybrid 19* 70S, Titleist TSi2 4Hy, Mizuno 223 PX 5.5IO PW-5i, Titleist 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.08M, Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11 35" putter; Driver SS 99-104mph, 4.0 index

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 10:08 PM, Cactus Jack said:

I decided to do a personal shootout between the new SIM 2 and SIM Max drivers. Both are 9* heads and we’re setup in their standard loft configuration. This was not meant to be a fitting session or scientific experiment. I’ve purchased a lot of gear and simply wanted to test stuff out and smack a few drives down range. I tested each head with the following shafts, which were all 45”: 

1 - HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 6.5 flex, 60g

2 - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX, 6.5 flex, 70g

3 - VA Nemesys, x flex, 65g

The bottom line is my performance was better with the SIM 2. For whatever reason I just could not get the same performance out of the Max. I’ve watched every YouTube review saying the SIM 2 and Max are basically identical, but that wasn’t the case for me. At least, the wasn't the case with the RDX Blue shaft. The results were very similar with the RDX Black, however I couldn't stop the Max from turning left. My numbers are below. Please keep in mind I’m an 18 handicap, and I’m taking lessons. As such, no need to rip inconsistencies, I’m doing my best 😀. The numbers are purely for illustrative purposes. 

Regarding the shafts, the Nemesys couldn’t hang with either RDX. Again, contrary to reviews of the Nemesys I’ve seen, in my hands it didn’t feel like an ultra high balance point shaft. It wasn’t as unique as I expected and didn’t produce crazy results. As I did hit it the worst it’s certainly possible the counter balance aspect was the culprit and could be resolved by adding head weight. I didn’t measure swing weight, I just screwed the shaft in and let it rip. In terms of feel I’d say it’s exactly in between the RDXs. It does have a lively kick, but not as much as the Blue, and while stiff, it’s softer than the Black. 

In my hands the performance of the RDX shafts were very similar. Dispersion was better with the Black, but I much preferred the feel of the Blue. The Black kind of stays with the swing and has limited flex, kick, or any sensation of loading. However, the Blue was the complete opposite. The Blue provided lots of feel, load, and kick. The RDX Blue feels identical to my Ventus Blue. In a blind test I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. I still want to test the RDX shafts, but if I had to chose today, I’d choose the Blue based on feel. 

Anyway, I thought I’d share my first impressions. Hope this helps and I’m always happy to discuss further. 

3D64EA8F-33C5-435E-8204-227C54F043CF.jpeg

8CA3FFFB-0CBC-44E1-8922-56EE490B4FD4.jpeg

Any update on which one has won the spot in the bag?

• 1 month later...

I'm in a similar boat. Played M5, then tried the SIM last year but didn't like how flat the face appeared to me. Played Mavrik Std most of last season and "upgraded" to the Epic Speed first part of this year. The std Epic Speed was the best looking and sounding driver I'd hit in a long time... then got the itch to try the Max LS and while I didn't like the look or the sound as much, the results were longer straighter drives so it's been in the bag the last 4 rounds. Now, I've got a SIM2 Max on the way to go head to head and have a ton of shafts to try out (mostly Callaway adapters at this point). For me, the SIM2 Max will need to be something special to knock out the Max LS but I have played TM drivers most of my golfing life and it wasn't until Mavrik that I actually like Callaway's results enough to switch. My test will include Ventus Red and Blue velocore, MMT 60S (surprisingly good results for a stock offering), Motore X F3, and Smoke RDX Blue. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 7:51 PM, stoneydukes said:

I'm in a similar boat. Played M5, then tried the SIM last year but didn't like how flat the face appeared to me. Played Mavrik Std most of last season and "upgraded" to the Epic Speed first part of this year. The std Epic Speed was the best looking and sounding driver I'd hit in a long time... then got the itch to try the Max LS and while I didn't like the look or the sound as much, the results were longer straighter drives so it's been in the bag the last 4 rounds. Now, I've got a SIM2 Max on the way to go head to head and have a ton of shafts to try out (mostly Callaway adapters at this point). For me, the SIM2 Max will need to be something special to knock out the Max LS but I have played TM drivers most of my golfing life and it wasn't until Mavrik that I actually like Callaway's results enough to switch. My test will include Ventus Red and Blue velocore, MMT 60S (surprisingly good results for a stock offering), Motore X F3, and Smoke RDX Blue. 

Interested in the results.

I'm leaning towards the Max LS with either the RDX blue or Black.

Let us know what you find out.

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood (more shafts need testing)
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk

1 hour ago, golfwb said:

Interested in the results.

I'm leaning towards the Max LS with either the RDX blue or Black.

Let us know what you find out.

I have the Max LS with the Black RDX. That's an amazing shaft but it is softer than the Velocores (blue or black). Dispersion wise, the RDX is close to Velocores. Difference is the kick feel with the Velocore more pronouced while the RDX Black is more muted. I really like my Black RDX but happily switch between the 3 shafts easily. Hope this helps

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

• 2 weeks later...

well, the SIM2 Max ended up being a non-starter for me. I have a ton of shafts built for my epic max LS head and just started with the stock Ventus 5S (non-velocore) in the SIM2. Spin was through the roof. Avg about 4k. I didn't see the value in swapping out adapters to help bring that back in line. Ended up bouncing between Ventus Red and Blue 6S (both Velocore) in my Max LS head and getting great results with both. Dispersion is a touch better with the Red but I will likely sell the rest of the callaway shafts.

3 hours ago, stoneydukes said:

well, the SIM2 Max ended up being a non-starter for me. I have a ton of shafts built for my epic max LS head and just started with the stock Ventus 5S (non-velocore) in the SIM2. Spin was through the roof. Avg about 4k. I didn't see the value in swapping out adapters to help bring that back in line. Ended up bouncing between Ventus Red and Blue 6S (both Velocore) in my Max LS head and getting great results with both. Dispersion is a touch better with the Red but I will likely sell the rest of the callaway shafts.

...look into the All-Fit adapters. I love swapping my Velocores (Black & Blue) between my Taylormade Sim Max, Callaway Epic Max LS or even my Cobra Pars'N'Stripes heads. There's a thread here on WRX if you care to search. Plus it's so much fun to play & tinker and not be constrainted by the OEM adapters

• Like 1

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

7 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

...look into the All-Fit adapters. I love swapping my Velocores (Black & Blue) between my Taylormade Sim Max, Callaway Epic Max LS or even my Cobra Pars'N'Stripes heads. There's a thread here on WRX if you care to search. Plus it's so much fun to play & tinker and not be constrainted by the OEM adapters

Thanks for the heads up. I looked them up. Very cool. In your experience does the all-fit adapter cover the same amount of tip prep as normal adapters or would you say it adds a little length to the tip?

2 hours ago, stoneydukes said:

Thanks for the heads up. I looked them up. Very cool. In your experience does the all-fit adapter cover the same amount of tip prep as normal adapters or would you say it adds a little length to the tip?

That's 2 questions there. Same tip prep, it's basically a TM adapter (if you look at it) - see my March 5 post there where I show the difference in the adapters of OEM, All-Fit and Club Conex (the bad alternative) and you can see the insertion depth. Anyway, if you have any question post them there on that thread, many other all-fit GolfWRX users to help you.

Now, we return you back to the normal programming... 😉

• 5 weeks later...

The PX Blue RDX has worked out excellent for me in all of my wood. Primarily started with my SiM2 3/5 which produced great results. So much so I purchased the shaft for my driver. I rotate the blue, Velocore Blue, and still my fairway finder which is a blue OBAN Devotion.   Just love this shaft. 

PXG Gen5 7.5* Ventus Velocore TR Blue 6S

Taylormade SIM2 Ti 3/5 Project X Blue RDX 6.0

Titleist U505 2 Iron GD Tour AD DI85 S

Srixon ZX 4 Iron Ventus Velocore blue 8S

PXG 0311T Gen5 S 4/5-PW

PXG Sugar Daddy 52/54/58

PXG Battle Ready Black Jack  

• 2 months later...

Just got fit at Club Champion and ordered the SIM2 Max 9.0 head with the HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX shaft 6.0 USA Limited Edition. I picked up 30yds of carry compared to my TSi3 gamer and my dispersion was much tighter. Tried a dozen shafts during the fitting and the Blue just felt the best and produced best results for me. Said I should have it in around 3 weeks.

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM2 (9.0*) w HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX PVD USA Edition

Titleist TSR2+ (13*) w Tour AD-DI 7-S

Cobra King Tec Hybrids 17*/19*

Titleist T150-T200s (5-PW) with AMT Red Stiff

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50F, 54M & 58D

Scotty Cameron Newport @ 35"with Red Baby T Grip

1 hour ago, rwilliams9 said:

Just got fit at Club Champion and ordered the SIM2 Max 9.0 head with the HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX shaft 6.0 USA Limited Edition. I picked up 30yds of carry compared to my TSi3 gamer and my dispersion was much tighter. Tried a dozen shafts during the fitting and the Blue just felt the best and produced best results for me. Said I should have it in around 3 weeks.

Awesome! The Blue is a fantastic shaft and the blue PVD looks very nice. Just wait until you try a Blue in your fairway woods. You’ll have a bag full sooner than you think!

• Like 1

Currently going 70g blue vs 6s Ventus blue. Gonna be a close match. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV