How good do I need to be for the ball to make a difference in my game?

jmo15

I'm currently a little worse than a bogey golfer lol...

I think there's two questions for guys like us:

1. Is there anything in the "performance" of a ball that we can take advantage of with a more premium ball?
  2. Is there any advantage to the consistency gained of playing the same ball all the time?

I don't think the answer to #1 is yes... Unless you have the control to know how to spin the ball on your approaches, I'm not sure you have any real advantage to a ProV1 or V1x. 

I do think the answer to #2 is yes... Our games have enough inconsistency in them. If you take a ball on one hole that's more of a distance ball and low-spin and your 8i is a 165 club (counting rollout) with that ball, and then you lose it and the next hole you're playing a higher-spin ball and you don't realize that your 8i will only be a 155 club with that ball because it stops better on the green, you're not going to learn your distances and it's just going to make it harder for you to score.

Right now I'm playing the Kirkland 3pc. At barely over $1/ball it's generally determined to be a lot more performance per dollar than almost any other ball on the market. Some say it's a high-spin ball that will cost me distance. Oh well... It'll be at least be consistent hole-to-hole. 

I guess I'm the weird guy who plays Kirkland, but found a V1 on the course today, and will use that on a water hole lol 😉

So I'm not going to say you should be playing "premium" balls, but I'd maybe look for playing the same ball 100% of the time. Then when you improve your own consistency, start determining which ball fits your game and does what you want it to do. 

• Like 4

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

I've played a number of different balls and I can tell which ones feel good and have the performance that I'm looking for.  I'm about a 12 hc and 73 years old and only been playing golf for about 5 years.  Most of the soft balls feel good, but that contributes to their lack of performance for me.  I need a little feedback and they don't provide it.

I've also tried some really firm balls, like the MTB-X and ProV1x and TP5x and while they performed pretty well, I didn't enjoy the feel.

I've settled for something in the middle and could play any of the following:

Chromesoft 

Bridgestone RX

Snell MTB Black

Maxfli Tour

ProV1

AVX

They all feel very similar and seem to offer nearly the same performance.  There are slight differences in performance, but none of which would probably affect my game.  I've settled on the Maxfli Tour and ProV1.  I play them interchangeably.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I'm currently a little worse than a bogey golfer lol...

I think there's two questions for guys like us:

1. Is there anything in the "performance" of a ball that we can take advantage of with a more premium ball?
  2. Is there any advantage to the consistency gained of playing the same ball all the time?

I don't think the answer to #1 is yes... Unless you have the control to know how to spin the ball on your approaches, I'm not sure you have any real advantage to a ProV1 or V1x. 

I do think the answer to #2 is yes... Our games have enough inconsistency in them. If you take a ball on one hole that's more of a distance ball and low-spin and your 8i is a 165 club (counting rollout) with that ball, and then you lose it and the next hole you're playing a higher-spin ball and you don't realize that your 8i will only be a 155 club with that ball because it stops better on the green, you're not going to learn your distances and it's just going to make it harder for you to score.

Right now I'm playing the Kirkland 3pc. At barely over $1/ball it's generally determined to be a lot more performance per dollar than almost any other ball on the market. Some say it's a high-spin ball that will cost me distance. Oh well... It'll be at least be consistent hole-to-hole. 

I guess I'm the weird guy who plays Kirkland, but found a V1 on the course today, and will use that on a water hole lol 😉

So I'm not going to say you should be playing "premium" balls, but I'd maybe look for playing the same ball 100% of the time. Then when you improve your own consistency, start determining which ball fits your game and does what you want it to do. 

Thanks for that. And you know what now that you mention it, I was using a different ball than I usually use last weekend and noticed the ball was flying much further and not stopping on the green as quickly. I thought it was just me, but I did not even think it could possibly be the ball. Thanks for your advice.

18 hours ago, jmo15 said:

I am currently a bogey golfer. Am I leaving something on the table by not playing better quality golf balls? I currently buy used balls on ebay. I get the top name brand blend (Titleist, Callaway, TM, etc.). Does everyone else just play whatever is cheapest or are the better quality balls worth it?

It's fine to play with used balls off ebay.  In the past, I would game x-out balls off ebay because they were a lot cheaper than the ones that made the cut and at the same time still brand new.  I don't believe you're leaving anything on the table.  I play MTB-X and Chrome Soft X LS now.  The MTB-X is a cheaper version of a tour ball and perform just as well as their counterparts and as an added bonus about 20 bucks cheaper per box on average.  My only gripe is that they spin a bit much with irons.  I recently got a box of the CSX LS and was so impressed that I purchased another box a few days later.  It's all about testing a bunch of different balls and seeing which ones fit you regardless of them being used or new. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Can get good balls on sale too, most companies have sales where you can get the premium balls for 20-30/dozen a couple times a year, so if you buy a few dozen at a time it's way cheaper than buying them individually for 45/doz or whatever and then is a bit closer in price to the cheaper stuff. 

Srixon somewhat frequently has Z-stars for 20/doz. The covers aren't that durable (which is my main gripe) but it is very similar to a prov in my opinion and obviously less than half the price during these sales. 

A z star for 20 is worth it for pretty much everyone. Provs for 45? Meh probably not until you are single digit IMO but everyone has a different budget. 

Edited by pinhigh27
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MMB1500 said:

That may or may not be true but you have to think Titleist would say that, wouldn't they? 

Regardless of who said it, I not only think it's true for golf balls, but for ALL equipment in ALL sports.  Lesser players need MORE help, not less, from their equipment, and premium golf balls are more consistent.  As several have already pointed out, the most important thing is to play the same ball all the time, but going beyond that, there is just no way mediocre golfers don't benefit from playing a better, more consistent golf ball.

• Like 2

It's not so much about being good but having clear golf goals.   Your choice in golf ball is like equipment, they should reflect your greater golf goal.  Lots of people that play golf (are not golfers) have no golf goals, so improving or scoring doesn't define their choice in golf ball. 

When I took up the game I played Titleist Balata and Professional 100.  Like my Mizuno MBs, they reflected my game goal, which was single digit as soon as possible.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I have a tough time with the idea of "quality" balls make a difference. I play 3 DIFFERENT balls each round. 1 Nike, 1 Srixon Q Star, 1 Nitro Crossfire.

In the 3+ months (about 35+ rounds) since I started this experience, I still don't notice a difference. Granted I'm not playing Pro V1's, but I can make great shots with each ball. Both off the tee and around the green.

Maybe 1 might be slightly better, but it isn't enough for me to notice. Certainly not enough for me to justify more than a buck a ball.

I still have quite a few to go through, so I will keep playing all 3. Still waiting for that ah ha moment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

My best suggestion is to play the same model golf ball every time.  Then you learn to get familiar with its performance.  When you are comfortable and get some consistency then move up to a quality urethane ball. It will allow you to perform more shots on the course that a surlyn ball won't allow.  Don't buy into the idea that you will give up any distance. The tour balls are just as long as the surlyn models.  Finally I'd suggest staying away from used water balls. Too many variables in quality and performance loss if you are concerned with improving your game.  Today there are numerous low-cost options available online (Kirkland, Snell, etc.) so buying used balls isn't worth the risk. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lefthack said:

I have a tough time with the idea of "quality" balls make a difference. I play 3 DIFFERENT balls each round. 1 Nike, 1 Srixon Q Star, 1 Nitro Crossfire.

In the 3+ months (about 35+ rounds) since I started this experience, I still don't notice a difference. Granted I'm not playing Pro V1's, but I can make great shots with each ball. Both off the tee and around the green.

Maybe 1 might be slightly better, but it isn't enough for me to notice. Certainly not enough for me to justify more than a buck a ball.

I still have quite a few to go through, so I will keep playing all 3. Still waiting for that ah ha moment.

You're probably never going to have an "ah ha moment"; it just doesn't work that way.

Imagine this:  You hit a partial wedge with a premium ball that ends up 3' from the hole, and you make the putt for birdie.  Great shot, great result.  If you had hit a cheap two-piece ball, the difference would be fairly subtle; maybe the shot ends up 6' away, and you two putt instead.  It isn't like the cheap ball goes off the green with the same strike, and it isn't like the premium ball is magic and automatically goes in. 

It's like fitted irons; it isn't like every shot is a laser at the flag.  But several times a round, the correct lie angle and shaft might get you in the fringe instead of the rough or a bunker, or on the green instead of in the fringe, or 15' away instead of 25' away.  Again, those are subtle differences, and on any given shot, hard to assess. 

But if really good players are playing fitted clubs and premium golf balls, why in the world wouldn't I?  (Hint: There are only two reasons; one is that I just don't care, and two is that I don't want to spend the money.  Neither of those sound very good, so instead you hear stuff like, "I'm not good enough...", or "I can get used to anything..."  or even "It's all marketing anyway...")

• Like 1

See, I am literally making the same shot with all 3 balls. I know I'm not as consistent as I would like, but I'm getting better. And I make great shots and really bad shots with all three.

I noticed a slight difference coming off the face of the putter, but I make or miss the same putts. 

I'm a cheap bastxxx, but I spend money where and when I feel it's appropriate. I don't feel the need to play a Pro V1, or even a 3 piece KSig. I like the red and orange Nitros and they are $.55 a pop. If I have a blow up round and put 6 in the drink, it's $3, not $25. I won't sweat $3.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Any ball above 30$ a dozen is good enough for anyone except tournament golfers in my opinion. 

the caveat is if you only play in windy conditions, and you can actually consistently hit the center of the face, low spin may benefit u

Edited by extrastiff
  • Like 1

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Each golfer will answer your question differently. But the time will come when you start hitting more solid and different type of balls will react in different ways. 

Most important  is what ball fits you and use the same type of ball (from different makers) always.  

Premium balls are not a requirement to play good golf, but it helps. I use AVX type of balls so I don’t play Pro Vs because they behave differently than I expect on shorter wedge shots to the green.  I always use the same kind of ball to avoid surprises. 

On 4/16/2021 at 3:32 PM, jmo15 said:

I am currently a bogey golfer. Am I leaving something on the table by not playing better quality golf balls? I currently buy used balls on ebay. I get the top name brand blend (Titleist, Callaway, TM, etc.). Does everyone else just play whatever is cheapest or are the better quality balls worth it?

I don't think the question is are you leaving something on the table by not playing better quality balls. The question are you leaving something on the table by not using a ball suited to your game. 

I don't play the cheapest balls but if the cheapest balls suit my game that is a big plus for me. I will glady play a cheap ball if it suits my game and right now that is the case for me. 

I'll throw out a few examples.

Pro V models: 

Off the driver I tend to see more fades and I over draw the ball alot. I tend to hit balls with a baby draw or straight most of the time. With the ProV side spin is amplified. I feel I lose some distance off the tee with it.

Approach shots are great. Stopping power is great. A plus!

Chipping is where this ball messes me up. I may get a hop and stop. I may get a release. Of course this is my swing but it brings in inconsistency to my chipping.

Feel is important to me and this ball feels good.

Right now I am playing the Maxfli Softfli. Three dozen for $30 when I bought them.

Off the driver I hit the ball straight to a baby draw. Distance is right there with most other balls I have played. I don't feel I am losing distance with this ball.

Approach shots the ball holds the green for me. Not as well as the ProV but it holds.

Chipping the ball releases every time. I am use to playing the release so I feel this helps me to be more consistent in my chipping. 

I like the feel of this ball..

I look for a ball that feels good, I can drive straight with decent distance, that holds the green (very important) and I can chip with consistency. I play a ball that hides my swing flaws.

I won't play a ball I can't get to hold the green on an approach shot. They are usually a distance ball IMO. Distance isn't everything.

• Like 3

I play the Q star tour and the Z star. I have shot good and bad rounds with both. I have a hard time telling them apart without looking to see which one I'm playing. When I put a good swing on both they do what I want them to. I usually buy the Q stars unless the Z stars are on sale then I'll get a couple boxes of those.

• Like 1

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

On 4/16/2021 at 2:32 PM, jmo15 said:

It's most noticeable in the short game if you can spin it just a little.

I'm also essentially a bogey golfer, and I'm distance challenged, but my short game is my best area, and so it improves my control around the greens.

More important is to find a ball that works and stick with the same equipment for awhile to get used to predictable performance.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, extrastiff said:

Any ball above 30$ a dozen is good enough for anyone except tournament golfers in my opinion. 

the caveat is if you only play in windy conditions, and you can actually consistently hit the center of the face, low spin may benefit u

The caveat part is absolutely true.  Here's the kicker though.  My + cap buddies and even tour pros say this about playing in windy conditions and I find it to be spot on.  When you hit it flush, doesn't matter what modern ball you game, it won't move nearly as much side ways compared to a mis hit. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

45 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

The caveat part is absolutely true.  Here's the kicker though.  My + cap buddies and even tour pros say this about playing in windy conditions and I find it to be spot on.  When you hit it flush, doesn't matter what modern ball you game, it won't move nearly as much side ways compared to a mis hit. 

I've played a fair bit of golf on various vacations in the UK, including quite a few rounds in heavy wind on links courses. None of the guys I know over there change their swing or change their equipment or golf ball when the wind picks up to 20mph+. They all say they just concentrate on making square, solid contact. It is the only thing that matters and it's important from driving the ball right on down to chipping and putting. 

P.S. I'll say one exception to the not changing anything is it can help to widen your stance out for putting in a strong wind, especially if you normally stand tall with your feet close together. Keeping your body from swaying in the wind is crucial for making solid contact with the putter. 

I am in the same boat as a bogey golfer and it usually doesn't matter so much what I use but I have noticed when I consistently use the same ball all season, my scores get much better by the end of the year. 

I don't think it matters what we use as long as we use the same thing consistently 

• Like 2

On 4/18/2021 at 12:30 PM, Pepperturbo said:

It's not so much about being good but having clear golf goals.   Your choice in golf ball is like equipment, they should reflect your greater golf goal.  Lots of people that play golf (are not golfers) have no golf goals, so improving or scoring doesn't define their choice in golf ball. 

When I took up the game I played Titleist Balata and Professional 100.  Like my Mizuno MBs, they reflected my game goal, which was single digit as soon as possible.

I have three goals right now:

1. Cheap enough to lose (at my cap, I lose balls).
  2. Consistent round to round, so I know that any inconsistency in the result is my fault.
  3. Enough spin that if I learn better how to control spin, I can stop the ball. 

For me that's the Kirkland 3pc right now, and probably will transition to the new Kirkland 4pc when it is released. I realize that they may be a little more spinny, which can hurt me on any shot where I'm curving the ball [and a leftward curve is something I'm trying to work out], but I'd rather accept that and try to improve my swing while getting the stopping power that I won't get with a 2pc distance ball. 

That said, even though I have a serious goal to get better at golf, I'm not going to punish myself and start playing blades.

22 hours ago, bluedot said:

You're probably never going to have an "ah ha moment"; it just doesn't work that way.

Imagine this:  You hit a partial wedge with a premium ball that ends up 3' from the hole, and you make the putt for birdie.  Great shot, great result.  If you had hit a cheap two-piece ball, the difference would be fairly subtle; maybe the shot ends up 6' away, and you two putt instead.  It isn't like the cheap ball goes off the green with the same strike, and it isn't like the premium ball is magic and automatically goes in. 

It's like fitted irons; it isn't like every shot is a laser at the flag.  But several times a round, the correct lie angle and shaft might get you in the fringe instead of the rough or a bunker, or on the green instead of in the fringe, or 15' away instead of 25' away.  Again, those are subtle differences, and on any given shot, hard to assess. 

But if really good players are playing fitted clubs and premium golf balls, why in the world wouldn't I?  (Hint: There are only two reasons; one is that I just don't care, and two is that I don't want to spend the money.  Neither of those sound very good, so instead you hear stuff like, "I'm not good enough...", or "I can get used to anything..."  or even "It's all marketing anyway...")

Respectfully, there's a flaw in this thinking. It's assuming that a premium ball is by default "better", when the attributes of a premium ball don't mean that your results will be better.

For example, let's say you're the type of player that loses two balls each round but finds 3-4 in the search for the first two. You typically play with whatever you have. In today's world, much of what you find are going to be 2 pc distance balls. 

You're faced with a 50 yard partial wedge shot. Based on how you normally hit that shot [with 2 pc surlyn-covered distance balls], you know you can hit the front of the green and the ball will roll right up to the pin. Instead you found a ProV1x on the last hole, and you're playing it this hole because it's premium. You take your normal swing with that partial wedge shot, and the ProV1x stops halfway between the landing spot and the pin because it actually had spin. 

In this case a cheap 2 pc distance ball might be the one 3 ft from the pin while the ProV1x is 10 ft short because it spun, if you're used to the cheap distance balls. 

It's why I say that the biggest thing for a high-cap amateur trying to improve [as I am] is consistency, i.e. using the same ball round-to-round. It doesn't matter much whether it's a 2 pc surlyn ball or a 4 pc urethane ProV1x... It matters that it's the same every time, so you reduce one variable out of hundreds for why the shot did something different than you intended.

• Like 1

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

As for my commitment to my single-ball strategy...

Yesterday while we were playing together a buddy tossed me a Kirkland ball that he'd found, because he knows that's what I play. So I tossed him back a ProV1 that I'd found, because I know that's what he plays. 

I've got no use for a ProV1 except on water holes lol...

• Haha 1