The Claw grip...who all uses it...and Why?

Joe Jordan

I use the claw grip, into my second season using it, I tinkered with it in the past when back to conventional then did a fitting with David Edel who pointed out that when my arms hug by my side my trail arm pronated which means in the stroke it naturally wants to shut and I pull my putts. He asked me if I've tried the claw grip or would be willing to try it and if it meant better putter I would, so we tried it, was uncomfortable for all of 10 putts and after some pointers I switched to the claw.

Has it helped me? I think so, it honestly feels more comfortable to me with the right grip, my hands feel more settled down, much better face control, I have practiced more so that helps a well. Now I will use a conventional grip for long lag putts because I find if I overly accelerate for a long putt I deloft a ton and basically kill the putt.

Hopefully that's some useful info or just gibberish lol.

• Like 4

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

4 hours ago, MattM97 said:

I use the claw grip, into my second season using it, I tinkered with it in the past when back to conventional then did a fitting with David Edel who pointed out that when my arms hug by my side my trail arm pronated which means in the stroke it naturally wants to shut and I pull my putts. He asked me if I've tried the claw grip or would be willing to try it and if it meant better putter I would, so we tried it, was uncomfortable for all of 10 putts and after some pointers I switched to the claw.

Has it helped me? I think so, it honestly feels more comfortable to me with the right grip, my hands feel more settled down, much better face control, I have practiced more so that helps a well. Now I will use a conventional grip for long lag putts because I find if I overly accelerate for a long putt I deloft a ton and basically kill the putt.

Thank you! This is very helpful! I have been tinkering with the claw grip myself. I’ve always been a decent putter but have been in a slump. I too feel like I have been pulling putts. I’ve been practicing a lot at the house with it, but I need to try it one round to see if I really like it,

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Joe Jordan said:

Thank you! This is very helpful! I have been tinkering with the claw grip myself. I’ve always been a decent putter but have been in a slump. I too feel like I have been pulling putts. I’ve been practicing a lot at the house with it, but I need to try it one round to see if I really like it,

If you try it just make sure you set up comfortably. Remember there is a lot of claw styles out there from pencil to modified to saw, etc. I'd say if you watch the RBC Heritage tomorrow watch Cink. He has a pretty basic saw style claw grip can start there before doing a Fleetwood or Finau style. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

I switched to it a few years ago with great success. Very comfortable stroke for me and totally takes out the "hit" in the putting stroke.

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

My putting has been holding back my scores a lot so gave this a try during practice yesterday and it went well. I've been shooting mid-low 80s lately with 35-36 putts. Goal is to break 80 for the first time this year so putting has got to improve. 

Im going to fully commit for the next few rounds. Was pretty comfortable right off the bat and it seems to really help my distance control which is my weakness. I'll get a few brain fart, hit the ball out of the park moments usually and this seemed to stop that.  Felt a little shakey in the two footers but got better at it with practice. 

The claw was the only way I could actually hit the ball putting after a reaction to a medication. Using a regular grip 3 years ago after the med reaction I could actually fully miss the ball with a putting stroke.  At the time I was averaging under 30 putts per round.  I HAD to switch to a claw and starting averaging right around 30 again.  I hate the claw grip.  It works, but I still hate it.  After 3 years of a lot of practice I can now hit 3-5 foot putts with a normal putting grip.  I've also started to hit putts left handed, I'm a righty, with a normal left hand putter grip.  I can putt lights out with a right handed putter from the left side.  SO I ordered an Odyssey Sabertooth left handed putter.  I'm very excited to start putting left handed using a regular putter grip.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 3:41 PM, MattM97 said:

Maybe some tips is what I need. Normally most of the grip pressure and "control" in my putting stroke comes from my trail arm/hand..but when I try claw I my pressure and control feel awful. 

When you do the claw does the pressure and control switch to your lead arm/hand?

Is the point of the claw to try and minimize an arm/hand that is over active in the swing?

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

4 minutes ago, PixlPutterman said:

Maybe some tips is what I need. Normally most of the grip pressure and "control" in my putting stroke comes from my trail arm/hand..but when I try claw I my pressure and control feel awful. 

When you do the claw does the pressure and control switch to your lead arm/hand?

Is the point of the claw to try and minimize an arm/hand that is over active in the swing?

The claw is intended to minimize the action of the trail hand.  Typically, the claw grip reduces pulls caused by the trail hand jabbing or twisting the face closed through the stroke.  I use the lead hand for face control, but still use trail hand for speed/distance control.  I essentially push the lead hand/grip structure/putter with the trail hand claw.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, PixlPutterman said:

I'm actually right hand dominant so my lead arm is basically driving the stroke and my trail arm is just stabilizing the putter so I don't need much pressure on that hand. 

I do suffer a bit on long lag putts with the claw as when I accelerate too much I basically drive the head into the ground. So I revert back to a standard grip and just try and putt it within 6ft or so. 

For me the claw was used to quiet down my over active trail hand which kept wanting to turn over in the stroke. The claw keeps the face square on my putter. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

I developed the yips in college.  I went to the belly putter, then transitioned to the claw.  I golf right handed, even thought I am left handed, and my trouble hand is my right hand, so it just made the most sense.  I feel like it has been a very serviceable substitute for me.  I do feel like I need a higher MOI putter while putting with the claw....so I've gone from a blade guy to strictly mallet. 

I am going to give the armlock method a try.  

• Like 1

Driver: Stealth Plus 10.5* Ventus Red
Fairway: Ping G400 17* Tour AD-DI
Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21* Tour AD-DI
Driving Iron: New Level NLU-01 4 and 5 iron Steelfiber i95
Irons: New Level 623 CB Aerotech Steelfiber i80
Wedges: Fourteen RM-4 50*, 56* and 61*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

On 4/19/2021 at 1:04 PM, ThinkingPlus said:

The claw is intended to minimize the action of the trail hand.  Typically, the claw grip reduces pulls caused by the trail hand jabbing or twisting the face closed through the stroke.  I use the lead hand for face control, but still use trail hand for speed/distance control.  I essentially push the lead hand/grip structure/putter with the trail hand claw.

This.  My trail hand tries to twist the face when too involved.  I use the claw to left my lead hand "steer"/control the face angle and my trail hand only helps with speed/distance control now.

• Like 2

The version of the claw you use can greatly alter the benefits or drawbacks of switching from a conventional grip. I've seen various guys on youtube measure face rotation and other things with different grips to support this over the years. In general, if you put the thump on the lead side of the grip and the fingers on the trail side of the grip in whatever fashion this will encourage more face rotation. If you put the fingers on top and the thumb on bottom of the grip its pretty comparable to using a conventional grip as far as face rotation goes.

Generally across all variations you are going to take the trail hand out of the stroke. I switched years ago and have used various versions over the years (currently putting conventionally but that may change again). I never felt comfortable with any other alternative style. I was never a good putter until about 6 years ago when I began using a #9 / Del Mar style putter and using the claw with a smaller oversized (Super stroke 2.0 or Winn Pro X 1.18) grip.

The general benefits I've gained over the years have included: 

1) Getting putts on line more consistently

2) More confidence over short putts

3) Better speed control over putts inside of 15 feet.

4) Sometimes with a conventional grip i used to have a tendency to take the putter back slightly outside then cut across the ball. Not a recipe for making anything. The claw took that away. 

On longer putts as well as on slower greens I would say its harder to get putts to the hole as the biggest negative. I also personally never felt comfortable with the claw for conventional sized grips (though smaller grips are my preference if putting conventionally)

I generally use a site online that gives strokes gained putting data vs a particular handicap. (The exact data and formula used to convert that from tour numbers idk). Even though I've been between a 5 and 12 over the years I had numerous years putting where my putting handicap would legitimately be that of a scratch golfer. That's definitely a product of the claw. Also for reference I'm naturally left handed but play golf right handed. I think this is a notable statistic given the 2 highest profile players who benefitted most from the claw on tour. Phil Mickelson is right handed playing lefty (Top 15 in strokes gained putting in 2012 2013 2016 and 2018 - all years where he either partially or fully used the claw). Sergio Garcia is left handed and plays right handed. (Sergio was 26th and 10th in strokes gained putting in 2012 and 2013 - his first two seasons using the claw).

• Like 2

G430 LST 9 Matrix 50M4 R Black Tie

BRNR Mini 11.5 Midr Proto 65R

Apex UW 2021 17 Smoke Black RDX 70 5.5

TSR2 21 & 24 AV Raw Blue 75R

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

RTX Full Face Black 54 60 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 CH 34in SS Pistol 1.0

Srixon Q Star Tour 

I switched from a conventional grip to a claw-like grip this season. Actually, it might better called a pencil grip. But regardless, the effect is the same. I've been veeeery happy with the results.

My problem with a conventional grip is that I would often swing my shoulders wide open on the putt, basically wiping across the face. I ended up with a lot of toe strikes. Really, what I was doing was slicing my putts - coming a little out on the backswing and cutting across the ball on the downswing. I believe the problem was that my right (trail) forearm would be higher than my left, no matter what I tried for a setup.

Switching to the claw/pencil put both my arms on roughly the same plane. I don't have that problem of my right arm dominating the left and my upper body flying open as a result. Also, after practicing with it for a month or so, a conventional grip feels SO weird and imprecise. 

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

I've found the claw greatly increases my ability to keep the ball on my intended line.  I think my trail arm/hand are just too involved with a conventional grip and it often leads me to push putts.  The claw has really helped me avoid pushes though I still use the standard grip on long lag putts for the reasons stated by others.  

9 hours ago, SeeMore Putters said:

If interested here is a good episode on The Putting Couch talking about the claw grip (32 minutes).  Good listen if you have a few minutes.  

I was just trying the claw with a Seemore Si5 with the plumber’s neck hosel. Felt pretty good. The putter feels great. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 4/20/2021 at 11:41 AM, conorgolf22 said:

I developed the yips in college.  I went to the belly putter, then transitioned to the claw.  I golf right handed, even thought I am left handed, and my trouble hand is my right hand, so it just made the most sense.  I feel like it has been a very serviceable substitute for me.  I do feel like I need a higher MOI putter while putting with the claw....so I've gone from a blade guy to strictly mallet. 

I feel like I could insert the two spidermen pointing at each other meme here bc this is my exact story. 

Developed yips in college, went belly putter route...when I got back into golf I was conventional just fighting the yips and doing well fighting them then all went to crap. I went to the claw about 3 years ago and have had a lot of success especially inside of ten feet or so. I have fooled around with a bunch of different putters but have had the most success w/ a two ball and oddly enough a Nike Method centershaft shaped like the B90. Ive had the Nike in play for over a year now. 

I use the pencil claw grip and prefer a heavier putter (360ish). The Superstroke Flatso 2.0 has been the best grip for me and I tried the claw superstroke grip as well. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

For the past 3-4 years I've been an Arm Lock or Broomstick guy and struggled with both partly because of the optics (I just don't love it) and mostly because distance control has been challenging. A month ago I went down the Edel rabbit hole and looked at my own biomechanics and decided to give the claw a try. It's been so liberating. I'm using a modified version that almost is a hybrid of the claw and pencil and have had the best success with a small round ish Superstroke 1.0. This allows me to get my trail hand pinky under the grip for more support. I don't want to completely eliminate the trailhand as I still want the influence of the trail arm. I just don't want the wristiness of the trailhand and this is working.

It's quite strange feeling confident on the greens and over 3-5 footers. I like it.

On 4/19/2021 at 9:53 AM, PixlPutterman said:

Yes, and for right handed players that is the right hand.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Been trying the claw because of my yips. Been working great on the practice putting green. Rolling way more putts on line and making way more. Will put in play this Sunday and see how it goes.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 4/20/2021 at 12:41 PM, conorgolf22 said:

On 4/23/2021 at 3:12 PM, blaird said:

I feel like I could insert the two spidermen pointing at each other meme here bc this is my exact story. 

Developed yips in college, went belly putter route...when I got back into golf I was conventional just fighting the yips and doing well fighting them then all went to crap. I went to the claw about 3 years ago and have had a lot of success especially inside of ten feet or so. I have fooled around with a bunch of different putters but have had the most success w/ a two ball and oddly enough a Nike Method centershaft shaped like the B90. Ive had the Nike in play for over a year now. 

I use the pencil claw grip and prefer a heavier putter (360ish). The Superstroke Flatso 2.0 has been the best grip for me and I tried the claw superstroke grip as well. 

My exact story too.  Right hand yips on short putts nearly bounced me out of golf.  Was actually taught the saw grip by Hank Haney on one of the very first GolfWRX trips back in 2011 and have stuck with it ever since.

Now I putt with the saw inside of 6 feet and inside of 10 feet on very fast greens.  I putt conventional reverse overlap on longer putts.

I've putted relatively well in this style with all types of putters, but some of my worst putting has been with large mallets like the Spider.  Just not as effective as with smaller mallets, Anser style, or heel shafted putters.  Agree that larger grips, especially in my left hand, have been best, but I didn't really care for the Superstroke Claw.  Right now I like the older Winn Dritac Jumbo Pistol Lite, but have also liked the Pistolero style grips that have a bit of curve and beef in the left hand.  The reverse taper Superstrokes have all been a disaster.

• Like 4

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

I'm another one, struggled with the spiy for years, I never went to the broomstick, I thought it was extremely hard to use, used the belly for a long time until the rule change. Then went to the claw. I putt ok, but never lights out, it's been so long since putting conventionally but I know that the devil is still in my right hand. I too favour larger putters now, I think you lose some speed and rhythm with the claw so the bigger head helps gets some of that back. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 10:22 PM, mookio said:

Me too 😂😂.

I love it from in tight, but I struggle with it from distance. 

I've made some nice, long putts with it, and have missed inside 3 feet.  Just can't seem to get any consistency no matter what I use.  Funny how if I'm playing well though, more putts seem to drop, so I think it's more in the head than the hands anyway.  Currently using the basic overlap, just like I use on my other clubs.  That one seems best suited to the lip-out.  NEXT!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jordan2240 said:

I've made some nice, long putts with it, and have missed inside 3 feet.  Just can't seem to get any consistency no matter what I use.  Funny how if I'm playing well though, more putts seem to drop, so I think it's more in the head than the hands anyway.  Currently using the basic overlap, just like I use on my other clubs.  That one seems best suited to the lip-out.  NEXT!

Its all in the head no doubt!! 28 putts or 65. no in between  

• Like 1