GolfWRX Best Irons of 2021—Discussion Thread

A new set of irons is the single biggest investment you can make into your set of golf clubs. At GolfWRX, to determine the 2021 best irons and their categories, we have compiled an expert panel of fitters to help you find out which of 2021 irons is best for your game.

In 2021, OEMs have continued to push the engineering envelope of iron design by utilizing new technology and manufacturing methods to create clubs that offer forgiveness, along with faster, more consistent club faces and launch windows. Not only that, but we are also seeing more segmentation of models from equipment manufacturers to help you determine your best set and/or set combination thanks to fitting.

These fitting options are important because irons are the key to better scoring and by building the perfect set, you create a cohesive group of clubs in your bag to help you reduce dispersion and hit it closer to your target.

That being said, ultimately the best way to find your personal iron set is to work with a professional fitter using a launch monitor. The difficult part is a lot of people don’t have easy access to fitters, launch monitors, and club builders—so at GolfWRX, we have done a lot of the work for you.

We are in the era of not just maximizing distance but also minimizing the penalty of common misses for each player—this applies to irons just as much as it does with any other club in the bag. This is why, now more than ever, custom fitting is essential to help you see results on every swing you make.

The methodology is simple: We want to give you the tools and information to go out and find what works best for you by offering recommendations for your individual iron set wants and needs with insight and feedback from the people who work every single day to help golfers get peak performance out of their equipment.

Best irons of 2021: The categories

1872565473_2021BestIrons.png.cbeb6ff5f70164e440f8bec5b5910e7b.png

Edited by GolfWRX
  • Like 2
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A new set of irons is the single biggest investment you can make into your set of golf clubs. At GolfWRX, to determine the 2021 best irons and their categories, we have compiled an expert panel of fit

Callaway Mavrik Pro Irons with the Elevate 105 Tour shaft. Easy #1 !!!    https://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/iron-sets/irons-2020-mavrik-pro.html  

Good list for the shotmakers. Seems like a lot of people think Srixon is catching Mizuno for the forged players cavity iron cavity.

Posted Images

"Best irons" is so subjected. Most of the new clubs are designed to be 1. More forgiving. 2 Hit the ball higher. 3 Hit the ball longer. And that is great for the majority of golfers. They've moved the weight around the club face to achieve the forgiveness and launch angle. They've used technology similar to the driver with thinner face material and de-lofting to increase distance. But what has also happened in these processes is we've lost a lot of workability/shot making. I had a set of Talormade P790's. They're great clubs. Very forgiving. You can hit them all over the face. But if the shot required a big fade or draw it was more difficult to pull off. But probably the real reason I got rid of them was I could not hit a knock down shot with them. Anyone who has to play in windy conditions needs that shot. I am 65 years old and a higher single digit golfer. I don't have the desire and my body won't allow me to put in the practice I did 20 years ago. I purchased a set of 2019 Callaway Apex Pro irons. I got these as in my mind, the new 2021 Apex Pro irons, as they look like a beautiful players iron, they appear to be using many of the same technologies as the TaylorMade P790/ P770. In my mind, I am willing to give up a little forgiveness to be able to still be able to work the ball as the shot dictates.

21 minutes ago, laxstar24 said:

Funny seeing TM go back to basics with clean lines while Mizuno sells out with all the graphics. Shotmakers list is incomplete without any representation from Miura or Honma. Far more feel.

Those companies have almost zero representation in the states. Once they do, I'm sure they will show up in lists.

Epic Max LS + Diamana ZF / TS2 3W + Diamana BF / TS2 4H || TS2 7W + Tensei CK Pro Blue || Diamana B / GAPR Lo 4 + MMT UT  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas +  KBS CT Tour

As an ancient member of this site, and an increasingly ancient golfer, I’m trying not to be too cynical.

But none of the irons chosen to represent cutting edge technology actually have any cutting edge technology. Unless I’ve missed it.

All are exactly what you’d expect a new Apex/Srixon/TM/Cobra to be.

Given irons are probably the most mature golf technology this isn’t surprising. 

But Golfwrx shouldn’t pander to PR like this.

• Like 1

Mavrik Ventus Velocore
Cobra F6 Baffler

Ping G410/Epic Flash Hybrids
Cobra Forged Tec Copper Irons
Cleveland CBX2 wedges
PXG One and Done

On 4/21/2021 at 12:25 PM, Hollywoodtlb said:

Kind of shocked we haven't seen the 921 Forged yet...

I bought them in February and played them a few times... nice irons!  Then I took a chance on a set of ZX5’s, and the game became SOOO much more enjoyable.  I’ll never play the 921F’s again.  They’ll be in the BST  in the next day or two because the Srixon Z series is amazing for MY steep swing. Let me know if you want dibs on the 921 Forged heads.

All of your tests mean NOTHING! For example, so many pro's, many not under contract, use Ping Blueprint...where are those? The only true way to decide if a club is right for you is for YOU to hit it and be fit to get the correct shaft, grip, and specs. Buying clubs because someone says "it's #1" is ridiculous! Forget these "advertisements" for clubs, because that's what they are, go to a pro (not a big box store where the salesman was just hired from McDonalds), and try them all until you find what's right for you.

Ping G400MAX 10.5° w/Diamana 70 Blue Board @44"

Ping G410 5-Wood w/Tensi CK Orange

Ping G410 4-5-6 Hybrid W/Tensi CK Blue

Ping i500 5-AW w/Recoil ES SmacWrap

Ping Glide 3.0 56°-58° w/Recoil ES SmacWrap

Ping 2021 Fetch Putter

All Grips: Superstroke Cross Comfort Midsize

5 hours ago, HDTVMAN said:

All of your tests mean NOTHING! For example, so many pro's, many not under contract, use Ping Blueprint...where are those? The only true way to decide if a club is right for you is for YOU to hit it and be fit to get the correct shaft, grip, and specs. Buying clubs because someone says "it's #1" is ridiculous! Forget these "advertisements" for clubs, because that's what they are, go to a pro (not a big box store where the salesman was just hired from McDonalds), and try them all until you find what's right for you.

Hard to take a guy with a bag of top-to-bottom PING clubs griping at the lack of the Blueprint's inclusion seriously .  You strike me as the type of guy that would play a Ping ball if they offered one.

• Like 1
On 4/20/2021 at 8:54 PM, laxstar24 said:

Funny seeing TM go back to basics with clean lines while Mizuno sells out with all the graphics. Shotmakers list is incomplete without any representation from Miura or Honma. Far more feel.

I tried both Miura and Honma at Club Champion, very low ball speeds even for players clubs.  The ZX7 and T 7MC both produced drastically better numbers for me.  They feel great but are more like 20 year old technology, not very forgiving and ball speeds are not competitive with modern clubs.  The Honma TR20V were probably my favorite out the 4 I tried from the two companies.  Miura TC-201 were the biggest let down for its 3k price point.

9 hours ago, HDTVMAN said:

So you profess that people shouldn't pick clubs because someone tells you to but think the I500's should be listed because a bunch of guys who get paid to use them do so?

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

Waiting on my ZX7 set to arrived.  Order waaaay back in early February.  Very excited to get them.

That being said, at my fitting I was so impressed with just about everything I hit.  In addition to the ZX7, the T100, P7MC, Miura CB 301, 921, Apex Xforged CB and some Honma I don’t recall... we’re all fantastic.

There is so much good stuff out there it’s hard to knock any OEM non-driver offering for anything other than personal preference, looks and maybe a bit of forgiveness.